edited October 27, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Upgrade is only $199. :deal
Just got mine (retail version, that is:-) :ivar Hope to install tonight :wink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Cool. I'm glad they are allowing CS and CS2 owners to upgrade for $199 as well. I still have CS2, but not for long.
    Upgrade to Adobe Photoshop CS4
    You have You want You pay
    Adobe Photoshop CS3, CS2, or CS Adobe Photoshop CS4 US$199
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Got mine yest. NO issues.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Upgrade from CS3 Extended?
    A quick question. I no longer qualify for the educational discount but have CS3 extended. Can I upgrade this to CS4 for the $199 or am I going to have to buy CS4 at retail?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    A quick question. I no longer qualify for the educational discount but have CS3 extended. Can I upgrade this to CS4 for the $199 or am I going to have to buy CS4 at retail?
    I'm not sure how it works with educational versions licensing-wise (from what I heard, educational version cannot be used for ANY commercial work), but on a regular basis upgrade from CS/CS2/CS3 to CS4 is only $199.
    You may need to check with adobe...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Got mine yest. NO issues.
    Yep. Same here. clap.gif
    Downloaded new nVidia driver and that fixed some OGL problems that were bugging us for months. deal.gif
    The only gripe - still no 50D support for ACR5.x :cry , so I have to resort to CS3 (and it's recent ACR4.6) to deal with the majority of my Moab piccies.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008

You can upgrade adobe "eduction" versions with retail upgrades AFAIK. I was just looking into it yesterday and I didn't find anything saying you couldn't. To be on the safe side though, I think the best bet is to talk to customer support with your specific case and they should be able to help.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    <snip>from what I heard, educational version cannot be used for ANY commercial work<snip>
    Myth.

Adobe's education license allows for commercial works to be created from it. Someone with more time available can maybe provide a linky, but this comes up a lot ...</snip></snip>
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    MarkR wrote:
    Myth.

Adobe's education license allows for commercial works to be created from it. Someone with more time available can maybe provide a linky, but this comes up a lot ...

Adobe FAQ
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Yep, you guys were right and I heard wrong. ne_nau.gif
    Here it is from Adobe (at least UK:-):

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/faq.html
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    ?m&i
    Question: What kind of processing speed is required to take advantage of this program: CS3 or 4? Also, same Q with LR2?

thanks, tom

ps: I have a Pentium 4 with 3GB RAm, but LR seems a bit doggy doing the brush~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    Question: What kind of processing speed is required to take advantage of this program: CS3 or 4? Also, same Q with LR2?
    thanks, tom
    Ps: I have a Pentium 4 with 3GB RAm, but LR seems a bit doggy doing the brush~
    CS4 is *much* faster than CS3, which was faster than LR (one or two)
    With your hardware you'll never have to see the hourglass working in Bridge CS4 or ACR5.x
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    CS4 is *much* faster than CS3, which was faster than LR (one or two)
    With your hardware you'll never have to see the hourglass working in Bridge CS4 or ACR5.x

Cool. Is it worth the upgrade otherwise? I'm debating it...
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    mwgrice wrote:
    Cool. Is it worth the upgrade otherwise? I'm debating it...
    ACR improvents and speed upgrade alone justifies the ugrade IMHO. But there's a whole lot more...
    However, I can only speak for myself. I'm known to stay with the current, so take my words with a huge grain of salt and make up your own mind.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    I got ACR 4.6 for Bridge for my 50D, but I understand that we have to wait for LR 2.1 for 50D support. I guess I will wait since I can get the discount for getting both at the same time, and then the NAPP discount above that.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I got ACR 4.6 for Bridge for my 50D, but I understand that we have to wait for LR 2.1 for 50D support. I guess I will wait since I can get the discount for getting both at the same time, and then the NAPP discount above that.
    Should be this coming week, I'm planning on it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Depends on WHEN you heard; that used to be the case. In fact, I am using an ancient version 6 and it first comes up with EDUCATIONAL VERSION with
    For academic use only under that on the opening screen.

Jane B.

Edit for PS: I should have included that I am in the USA.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yep, you guys were right and I heard wrong. ne_nau.gif
    Here it is from Adobe (at least UK:-):

http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/faq.html
  • Options
    TechsnapTechsnap Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm not sure how it works with educational versions licensing-wise (from what I heard, educational version cannot be used for ANY commercial work), but on a regular basis upgrade from CS/CS2/CS3 to CS4 is only $199.
    You may need to check with adobe...ne_nau.gif

I've just checked up on this, at least for those of us in the UK. If you buy the products identified as 'Student Version' on the UK Education site, you cannot use it for any commercial purpose, ever. If you buy a 'normal' version, but from the UK Edu site, at Edu price, you are able to use it for commercial purposes.

So, the cheaper products are perhaps not such good value as they appear!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Techsnap wrote:
    I've just checked up on this, at least for those of us in the UK. If you buy the products identified as 'Student Version' on the UK Education site, you cannot use it for any commercial purpose, ever. If you buy a 'normal' version, but from the UK Edu site, at Edu price, you are able to use it for commercial purposes.

I suspect there are legal or tax implications behind the licensing for the student edition. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

First, the point of educational discounts or student editions is to hook students on the software so that they will continue to use it after they've finished school. Restrictions on the use of the product make the software less appealing.

Second, enforcing the noncommercial clause is next to impossible. How exactly is Adobe going to determine whether or not money exchanges hands? Good luck with that. I suppose if they embedded the software version in the EXIF, and were willing to spend a lot of money monitoring pretty much all media, and were willing to alienate customers with false positives, they could give it a try. A far more sensible policy would be to look the other way except for the most egregious commercial uses.

It does look like the student edition is eligible for upgrade to the commercial version, which would make the whole thing moot. They do seem to have gone out of their way to make the whole thing confusing, though.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Does anyone have exp using a windows version as the "base" serial number then paying upgrading to the Mac version........or do I have to start all over?

I was going to test how this works by DL a trial version for Mac and entering my windows serial number and seeing if that worked, but now that CS4 is "coming" they don't have any downloadable trials that I can see headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Does anyone have exp using a windows version as the "base" serial number then paying upgrading to the Mac version........or do I have to start all over?

I was going to test how this works by DL a trial version for Mac and entering my windows serial number and seeing if that worked, but now that CS4 is "coming" they don't have any downloadable trials that I can see headscratch.gif
    I believe I read on DGrin somewhere that this transition requires a phone call to Adobe - but I'm not sure about that. I am sure that a phone call will get you the answer.:D
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    I believe I read on DGrin somewhere that this transition requires a phone call to Adobe - but I'm not sure about that. I am sure that a phone call will get you the answer.:D

I've read that you can change platforms and upgrade at the same time (i.e., buy the Mac upgrade package in order to switch from Windows to Mac). I haven't tried it, though.

I have however changed platform. I had to call Adobe, fill out a form with all my serial numbers stating that I would remove the existing copies, etc., and fax it to them. They charged me for shipping, and a few weeks later I had the Mac version and a new serial number.

I managed to make things more difficult by sending them the wrong software, and I had to call them several times to straighten things out, but it eventually got sorted out. I have complained to people at Adobe about the process--there is no good technical reason why they can't do cross-platform licensing.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    Techsnap wrote:

Here is the official info from Adobe for the USA/CAN purchase:
    Adobe wrote:
    What are the restrictions in using education versions of Adobe products?
    A customer may only purchase one copy of any product. Education versions of Former Macromedia products only (Studio 8, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) are intended for instructional and administrative purposes only and may not be used for any commercial purpose.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    FYI....I have always purchased directly from the Adobe store...I had lived in Alaska with no sales tax. Well, here in Vegas, Adobe tacked me with the $50 sales tax...and, I ordered it last Thursday, it did not ship until Monday and they shipped it FedEx ground from Georgia...which means I prolly won't get it until next week. Totally substandard. I thought the DHL process was lame...now it got lamer. I would recommend just ordering from Amazon.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I jumped from CS2 PC to CS3 Mac. You a pay for the normal upgrade (assuming you have a legit PC version), and sign the ubiquitous LOD (Letter of Destruction), destroy the software, and they ship to you a full blown copy of the latest version on your new platform. Since you have to get it from Adobe they already have a record of the purchase, so you might as well register it. Which makes it easier to upgrade in the future.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac