Along the Road to Arches

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited October 26, 2008 in Landscapes
I left for the Arches shootout last Saturday, which gave me four days to spend meandering out to Moab with these three wild and crazy guys.

IMG_9610.jpg
That's Nikolai, Aaron (anwmn1), and David (jdryan3), on a nice viewpoint we found a little south of Page, AZ. It was a pleasure and a privilege to spend 8 days shooting and basically living with these guys.

The coal-fired power plant puffs incongruously in the distance.
IMG_9590.jpg

Can't miss Horseshoe Bend while you're in Page
IMG_9629_30_31_32_33.jpg

Nikolai practices yoga moves in the toad stools.
IMG_9512.jpg

Primitive art can be spotted on canyon walls
IMG_9547.jpg

Aaron lines up an early morning shot on Spider Rock in Canyon Dechelly
IMG_0300_1_2.jpg

A few from the Paria plateau
IMG_9757_8_9.jpg

IMG_9888_89_90.jpg

IMG_9768.jpg

That's about all for now. I'll start another thread with my shots from Moab and Arches.

Thanks for lookin',
-joel

Comments

• cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Those are beautiful shots - all of them!! I am so jealous, I will never be able to take photos like that but I would love to get out west and see these places in person. Looks like you had a great time!!! It was also nice to put names with faces.

Stephanie
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 15, 2008
    Those are beautiful shots - all of them!! I am so jealous, I will never be able to take photos like that [...]

Thanks and believe me if you stick around here you will definitely be able to take photos like this. I'm a relative newcomer to landscape photography, and this is a great place to learn. The next Dgrin/Smugmug shootout is in Acadia NP in Maine. You should attend. I learned a ton at this shootout.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Hey look ma I'm a star!! wings.gifrolleyes1.gif

Now I can't post my coal plant shot after that beauty!! bowdown.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Awesome shots Joel, but Horseshoe Bend shot is beyond words iloveyou.gif Really nice to see the faces behind the Avatars wings.gif
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Those are awesome indeed.iloveyou.gifthumb.gif
    edited October 15, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Hey look ma I'm a star!! wings.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Good one!rolleyes1.gif
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Now I can't post my coal plant shot after that beauty!! bowdown.gif
    Ha! Now you know how I usually feel! blbl.gif
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nice work. I love the colors. What was the camera and lense?

When is the shootout in Acadia? I live about an hours drive from there and know the area quite well.
    RON
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    WOW! simply stunning. i think i like the power plant shot the best. as that is something i would have never guessed is out there. thumb.gif
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    wow, awesome series, all of them! thumb.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Nice! I have been to horse shoe bend and don't have anything close to yours. Good work here.

Sam
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    The power plant photo is so out of place, but I loved seeing the photo anyway.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Good pics, Fstop! thumb.gif
    Now, just like Iso, I can't post anything rolleyes1.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    A few from the Paria plateau

IMG_9888_89_90.jpg

-joel

I like the Horsehoe bend shot, but this one Rocks. I know how many times (and how long) you were in that spot. Obviously it was worth all the effort. thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    great stuff... i tried to get Horseshoe Bend in one shot when i visited there, but my 17mm wasn't wide enough on my 40D, so i settled for stitching multiple frames together... it's an awesome place! love the other shots too... looks like you were somewhere near the Wave/Coyote Buttes?

i visited Arches last spring, but only had a couple of days there, and one of those was raining... :( there's some astounding scenery there, for sure! all this makes me wanna go back... especially now that i have a 5D! :D
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited October 16, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Awesome shots Joel, but Horseshoe Bend shot is beyond words iloveyou.gif Really nice to see the faces behind the Avatars wings.gif
    Hey thanks, Daniel! I didn't know what I had in that 'Bend shot until I HDR'd it, and then I decided I liked it. :D

Yeah, it was great to meet Nik and JD in person. Maybe some day I'll get to meet you as well. :wow
    edited October 16, 2008
    summerz wrote:
    Those are awesome indeed.iloveyou.gifthumb.gif

Thanks, Summerz. I appreciate that. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited October 16, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    Nice work. I love the colors. What was the camera and lense?

When is the shootout in Acadia? I live about an hours drive from there and know the area quite well.

Thanks, Ron. Camera(s) were Canon 20D and 40D. Lenses were 100-400 (first two shots), EF-S 17-55, and EF-S 10-22.

Acadia shootout info here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=108453

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 16, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    wow, awesome series, all of them! thumb.gif

Thanks a bunch, Bryan. Your kind comment is greatly appreciated. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited October 16, 2008
    WOW! simply stunning. i think i like the power plant shot the best. as that is something i would have never guessed is out there. thumb.gif

Thanks, Brian. (Wow, two Brian's in a row eek7.gif)

Yeah, that powerplant was a big surprise. The sky was all socked-in, but there was a single shaft of light shining down on it, which illuminated the steam plumes and made quite the spectacle off in the distance. It was actually a very long way away, and that shot was made at a 400mm focal length!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I admit my head's getting a bit tangled with all of these pre-shootout threads but all I really need to say is how much fun it looks like it was, especially for the four of you. You managed to stop at some awesome places, too, which never hurts.

And I think the private jokes are one of the best parts of the road trip! lol3.gif
    edited October 17, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Nice! I have been to horse shoe bend and don't have anything close to yours. Good work here.

Sam
    Thanks, Sam. That was my second time there. We had stormy skies this time which helped immensely.

Best regards,
    -joel
    edited October 17, 2008
    Dee wrote:
    The power plant photo is so out of place, but I loved seeing the photo anyway.

Thanks, Dee. Ones never knows where we might find beauty. mwink.gifrofl

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited October 17, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I like the Horsehoe bend shot, but this one Rocks. I know how many times (and how long) you were in that spot. Obviously it was worth all the effort. thumb.gif

Thanks, JD! I believe this was the spot you showed me, no?

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Simply outstanding joel. The view from paria plain and the horseshoe bend are absolutely stunning. thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif very very well done :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Awesome series!!! I might have to leave the comfy confines of the northwest and make my way down there someday soon...
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    All of these are amazing, but the shots from Paria plateau are just awesome. Thanks for sharing these! thumb.gif

James
    edited October 20, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Good pics, Fstop! thumb.gif
    Now, just like Iso, I can't post anything rolleyes1.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Ha! I've seen some of your shots, and just waiting for you to post them. A certain star-trails shot comes to mind. deal.gif
    edited October 20, 2008
    squirl033 wrote:
    great stuff... i tried to get Horseshoe Bend in one shot when i visited there, but my 17mm wasn't wide enough on my 40D, so i settled for stitching multiple frames together... it's an awesome place! love the other shots too... looks like you were somewhere near the Wave/Coyote Buttes?

i visited Arches last spring, but only had a couple of days there, and one of those was raining... :( there's some astounding scenery there, for sure! all this makes me wanna go back... especially now that i have a 5D! :D

Thanks, Rocky. You're right, 17mm doesn't cut it on a 1.4 crop body. I love my 10-22. iloveyou.gif But 17 on your 5D ought to be perfect.

And yes you're right, those shots were from Coyote Buttes South (CBS).

Regards,
    -joel
    edited October 20, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I admit my head's getting a bit tangled with all of these pre-shootout threads but all I really need to say is how much fun it looks like it was, especially for the four of you. You managed to stop at some awesome places, too, which never hurts.

And I think the private jokes are one of the best parts of the road trip! lol3.gif

Thanks, Schmoo. It truly was a fantastic week.

-joel