Options

Cheap! Photoshop CS for Canon users

bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited April 22, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
FYI, Adobe/Canon recently extended their $299 deal for Canon purchasers who got Elements 2.0 with their camera purchase to November of this year.

link to Adobe store

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    FYI, Adobe/Canon recently extended their $299 deal for Canon purchasers who got Elements 2.0 with their camera purchase to November of this year.

link to Adobe store
    Now for the big question. I've been using photoshop 5.5 for long time, is there
    a big learning curve involved with the upgrade, or will I adjust fairly easily?
    I did get elements 2 with the D Reb, and I just started to use it. I kind of
    like the "fill flash" effect to lighten dark areas the easy way. Does CS have this?

Thanks.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Now for the big question. I've been using photoshop 5.5 for long time, is there
    a big learning curve involved with the upgrade, or will I adjust fairly easily?
    I did get elements 2 with the D Reb, and I just started to use it. I kind of
    like the "fill flash" effect to lighten dark areas the easy way. Does CS have this?

Thanks.

dave.

cs has "shadow / highlight" a killer tool dave deal.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    cs has "shadow / highlight" a killer tool dave deal.gif
    Elements 3.0 has that too. deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    I'm not recommending anything dishonest here but I tried a "purely academic" test.

I have PS Elements 2.0 but I'm a D70 owner. Just for grins (analog grins, not digital grins :): ), I put my serial number in and tried adding the $299 Photoshop CS offer to my shopping cart. I pressed continue. It processed for a couple of minutes and then gave me a shopping cart with a -$350 discount and CS for $299.

I then backed out. My daughter is a college senior and I've not chosed to use her purchasing power to get me a cheaper CS copy. I've worked for software companies for years and have used derogatory terms to describe those who cheat the system (really bad comments about the true software pirates).

Just the same, the canon purchasers are sure getting a better deal than the nikon users (yeah, I know that elements was part of their canon purchase but I paid my $70'ish extra for elements).

It's mostly curiosity but how closely is Adobe watching this purchasing process?

ne_nau.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    It's mostly curiosity but how closely is Adobe watching this purchasing process?

ne_nau.gif
    I would think Adobe is quite happy with this process. It must sell a lot of copies of PSCS that would not be purchased otherwise. Once you're in, they will happily sell you upgrades, because you are not likely to downgrade. Pretty good marketing I would say.

I'm sure that without this sort of incentive, many would stick with lower margin Elements or go with PaintShop Pro or similar.

It is certainly a good deal for you Canonites. Us N guys have to fork out $100 for Capture then PS on top. Actually the Adobe RAW plug-in and other RAW converters are getting to the point that Nikon Capture might not be needed much longer. Maybe N will start giving it away, as they should have from day one.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Actually the Adobe RAW plug-in and other RAW converters are getting to the point that Nikon Capture might not be needed much longer. Maybe N will start giving it away, as they should have from day one.
    Agreed, I haven't paid my $100 for Capture 4.1 yet. Unhappy that they want an additional fee for what I consider a utility program (albiet a very useful and feature laden utility).

Anyway, to shoot RAW fulltime I need a bigger card.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    FYI, this offer has been upgraded to CS2. Same link as before.