Options

Another cart-related feature preview

2»

Comments

• Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Possible bug...
    First of all I like the new look. Thanks! That said, I'm having trouble getting the new buttons to work consistently. headscratch.gif

While logged out I tried clicking the "share" button in a gallery but nothing happened. After clicking around my site for a while I eventually returned to the same gallery and it suddenly worked. A little while later I returned to that same gallery one more time and it had stopped working again. I checked and the gallery in question is set for sharing.

I logged into my page and realized that I'm having the same problem with the "add photos" and "theme" buttons -- sometimes they work, sometimes they just don't respond to anything.

The system I'm using at the moment is WinXP. The behavior is consistent across three browsers (IE7, FF3, and Safari 3). Any idea what's going on?

Dale

Dale Baskin Photography
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    pilotdave wrote:

The mounting and framing button, at best, links me to fotoflot and enters my smugmug username in the login box. Again, nothing to do with the picture or gallery where I clicked the Buy button.

I'd expect a button that says "create a book" to lead me to a book creator, where that picture gets added to a book that I can buy. You just link me to someone else's site where i can start the process from scratch.

Dave

Excellent point on the mounting and framing link. We'll get that fixed so it gives you a head-start with the image you're on.

As you probably know, since you've used Blurb in the past, you download their software to create the book. And you generally import dozens, if not hundreds of photos for a book so pre-loading a single image might be difficult to engineer and the payoff sounds low to me. Unless I'm missing something?

-Anne
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    NWMtnGuy wrote:
    First of all I like the new look. Thanks! That said, I'm having trouble getting the new buttons to work consistently. headscratch.gif

While logged out I tried clicking the "share" button in a gallery but nothing happened. After clicking around my site for a while I eventually returned to the same gallery and it suddenly worked. A little while later I returned to that same gallery one more time and it had stopped working again. I checked and the gallery in question is set for sharing.

I logged into my page and realized that I'm having the same problem with the "add photos" and "theme" buttons -- sometimes they work, sometimes they just don't respond to anything.

The system I'm using at the moment is WinXP. The behavior is consistent across three browsers (IE7, FF3, and Safari 3). Any idea what's going on?

Dale

Dale Baskin Photography
    Standby, you have customizing that's breaking our buttons. I'll investigate right now.
  • Options
    NWMtnGuy wrote:

Dale

Dale Baskin Photography

You had an error, a stray ;

I fixed it and now all is good thumb.gif
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Excellent point on the mounting and framing link. We'll get that fixed so it gives you a head-start with the image you're on.

As you probably know, since you've used Blurb in the past, you download their software to create the book. And you generally import dozens, if not hundreds of photos for a book so pre-loading a single image might be difficult to engineer and the payoff sounds low to me. Unless I'm missing something?

-Anne

My point was simply that the link to "create a book" does absolutely nothing other thank link me to blurb's website. I'm happy that smugmug partnered with blurb, but honestly, until I can actually sell books on my smugmug site, the partnership is pretty much meaningless to me. It's a cool idea to be able to "slurp" in my pics straight from smugmug, but unfortunately its far too slow to be of any use to me. Besides, I have my pictures... No reason to download them.

So when I want a book, I go to blurb. Why would I ever click the buy button and choose "create a book?" I understand that it's an advertisement for your partnership with blurb. But a nice little news item in my control panel would be plenty. No need to see it on my site.

Again, no biggie. I'll ignore it. But I just think it would be cool if it wasn't there and then suddenly showed up one day when it did anything more than linked me to blurb.

I'm hoping you guys offer framing someday too. Same deal... I want to see that button and say "oh nice, smugmug is offering framing now!" I think for now it should say "create a fotoflot" and it would be awesome if it brought me straight to the options to buy the selected photo, not just to fotoflot's homepage.

Dave
  • Options
    pilotdave wrote:
    My point was simply that the link to "create a book" does absolutely nothing other thank link me to blurb's website. I'm happy that smugmug partnered with blurb, but honestly, until I can actually sell books on my smugmug site, the partnership is pretty much meaningless to me. It's a cool idea to be able to "slurp" in my pics straight from smugmug, but unfortunately its far too slow to be of any use to me. Besides, I have my pictures... No reason to download them.

So when I want a book, I go to blurb. Why would I ever click the buy button and choose "create a book?" I understand that it's an advertisement for your partnership with blurb. But a nice little news item in my control panel would be plenty. No need to see it on my site.

Again, no biggie. I'll ignore it. But I just think it would be cool if it wasn't there and then suddenly showed up one day when it did anything more than linked me to blurb.

I'm hoping you guys offer framing someday too. Same deal... I want to see that button and say "oh nice, smugmug is offering framing now!" I think for now it should say "create a fotoflot" and it would be awesome if it brought me straight to the options to buy the selected photo, not just to fotoflot's homepage.

Dave
    Dave, soon, soon. Hang in there, please.
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Dave, soon, soon. Hang in there, please.

Are we just talking about the "Mounting and Framing" here, when you say "soon"? I can see where that should be a simple fix to get better integration, but I have to agree with Dave about the "buy a book" thing, and for all the same reasons.

The only way I could see this being useful (and I think the use case may be vanishingly small) would be to have the "Buy a Book" automatically "slurp" the entire current gallery into a Blurb book. I can see, for me at least, how if I've gone to the trouble of picking photos - from an event, for example - to display in my SM gallery that I might want to duplicate that in a book. Otherwise it really is just an ad for the Blurb partnership. Also, as with Dave, this is not a big deal to me at all, merely a comment - I'll refrain from using the flaming smiley that Andy loves so much. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    hyachts wrote:
    Are we just talking about the "Mounting and Framing" here, when you say "soon"? I can see where that should be a simple fix to get better integration, but I have to agree with Dave about the "buy a book" thing, and for all the same reasons.

The only way I could see this being useful (and I think the use case may be vanishingly small) would be to have the "Buy a Book" automatically "slurp" the entire current gallery into a Blurb book. I can see, for me at least, how if I've gone to the trouble of picking photos - from an event, for example - to display in my SM gallery that I might want to duplicate that in a book. Otherwise it really is just an ad for the Blurb partnership. Also, as with Dave, this is not a big deal to me at all, merely a comment - I'll refrain from using the flaming smiley that Andy loves so much. rolleyes1.gif
    Guys, it's always been part of the site. We just made it more obvious. It has previously been linked from the help pages and the catalog. All we did was add it to the Buy menu - we're gonna add more book and framing options I hope and so then the reasons will become really clear :D

Cheers!
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Guys, it's always been part of the site.

I don't see how that makes Dave's or my comments any less valid - you say this kind of thing a lot and it comes across as somewhat dismissive to me. We've both gone to great lengths to say "this is not a big deal, just something we've noticed". No big defense necessary, especially not one as weak as "well it's always been this way". Aren't we all here to improve the tools for one reason or another?
  • Options
    hyachts wrote:
    I don't see how that makes Dave's or my comments any less valid - you say this kind of thing a lot and it comes across as somewhat dismissive to me. We've both gone to great lengths to say "this is not a big deal, just something we've noticed". No big defense necessary, especially not one as weak as "well it's always been this way". Aren't we all here to improve the tools for one reason or another?
    OH my gosh - not at all dismissive :D I'm reading and sharing all these comments with the whole company!

I'm really sorry if it sounded that way.

We love the comments and don't ever, ever stop. Of course your comments are valid - as are ALL :D
  • Options
    zooloozooloo Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    Baldy wrote:
    We just changed to Buy "This photo" and "Photos in this gallery" on our test servers to see how that goes.

I'm late to this thread, but I'll throw in one suggestion.

Buy "Multiple photos in this gallery" seems the clearest IMHO. It tells a customer that although they can buy "this photo", clicking "multiple photos in this gallery" gives them the convenience of selecting more than one at a time.

Buy "Photos in this gallery" makes sense too; it just doesn't immediately disambiguate from Buy "this photo" as you're already able to buy photos in this gallery by the time you actually see this button + drop-down list.

It's a longer string though.

--VK
  • Options
    Matt SMatt S Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    One thing I would like to see is the retention of #'s in the bulk option. Since I cannot offer packages via smugmug I self fullfill those orders from the site myself. My customers provide me with a list of #'s corosponding to the photo in my gallery. I can see those #'s in the gallery (ie #25 out of 130) but when I go to bulk purchase those #'s are not longer visable. It makes fullfilling large bulk orders difficult on my end. I sit there counting the photos to find the right one, and hope I don't screw up.

I hope that makes sense. If not let me know, and I will try to clarify what I mean.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    Matt S wrote:
    One thing I would like to see is the retention of #'s in the bulk option. Since I cannot offer packages via smugmug I self fullfill those orders from the site myself. My customers provide me with a list of #'s corosponding to the photo in my gallery. I can see those #'s in the gallery (ie #25 out of 130) but when I go to bulk purchase those #'s are not longer visable. It makes fullfilling large bulk orders difficult on my end. I sit there counting the photos to find the right one, and hope I don't screw up.

I hope that makes sense. If not let me know, and I will try to clarify what I mean.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Besides in just the cart...also when using either "move to other gallery" and "delete photos" options - the same applies - its a HUGE pain (:cry) to write down the image#'s or try to count - PLEASE return the numbers in each of these options

thanks
    rich56k

sorry if kind of off topic but ties directly in with Matts cart request...also any word on when the auto/true color option will be removed from the pro cart as previously discussed? ne_nau.gif
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS