Options

High Dynamic Range

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Here is one of my attempts with the trial version. How can I reduce some of the noise out of the picture?

DSC_0003_4_5_tonemapped.jpg
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Here is one of my attempts with the trial version. How can I reduce some of the noise out of the picture?
    1. Take enough pictures in Your bracketed series, especially long exposures. In order to prevent noise build-up, You need a good exposition of the darker regions, i.e. long exposures. Look at the histogram of the series: at least one of the shots should have a histogram leaning completely to the left with a tail ending somewhere in the middle.

If this gives insufficient results, try one of the following (in decreasing order of effect):

2. Run denoising software on all the pics before combining them into an HDRI.
    3. Tonemap the HDRI with conventional (or life-like settings). Photomatix has a lot of sliders inviting You, the user, to come up with "expressive" results. But by extreme tonemapping, You augment noise. Therefore, low strenght, high light smooting, low luminosity, low microcontrast, high microsmoothing.
    4. Denoise the resulting tonemapped image.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Zeus1 wrote:
    1. Take enough pictures in Your bracketed series, especially long exposures. In order to prevent noise build-up, You need a good exposition of the darker regions, i.e. long exposures. Look at the histogram of the series: at least one of the shots should have a histogram leaning completely to the left with a tail ending somewhere in the middle.

If this gives insufficient results, try one of the following (in decreasing order of effect):

2. Run denoising software on all the pics before combining them into an HDRI.
    3. Tonemap the HDRI with conventional (or life-like settings). Photomatix has a lot of sliders inviting You, the user, to come up with "expressive" results. But by extreme tonemapping, You augment noise. Therefore, low strenght, high light smooting, low luminosity, low microcontrast, high microsmoothing.
    4. Denoise the resulting tonemapped image.

Excellent recipe Zeus:

A couple I shot yesterday:

413528720_cP7EJ-L.jpg

413581005_S6r2J-L.jpg
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I tried what you said and used CS3 instead of Photomatrix. Let me know what you think!

Untitled_HDR2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Photomatix specifically recommends that users use a raw converter (PS, Aperture, etc.) other than photomatix before tone mapping since the photomatix raw converter is not as good.

Your shot looks good though.
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Izzy... these shots are pretty awesome. I agree, some go over board on the HDR from what I have seen on the Net.

Did you use Photomatix or CS3 for these shots.

BTW, I picked this book up a few weeks ago and it does a great job of explaining HDR and workflow in Photomatix.

Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography

51Z%2BMe-FrJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I just went and ordered this book. Hopefully it's good! I can't wait to start playing more with hdr and actually having my images look like I want them too.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    I've been trying some HDR also, I use Dynamic Photo HDR. Some of them are color matched and filtered within the hdr program.

378384337_d22sK-M.jpg

387705892_ssgFo-M.jpg

A little dreamy look.

380511837_eYZK9-M.jpg

A friend...

380677946_9GhTH-M.jpg

Troy
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    Here is a really over processed image. I ran it through Dynamic HDR, then took the new hdr image and ran it through as a 'single image' hdr a 2nd and 3rd time until the look desired was achieved.

257320803_QAUC7-M-2.jpg

Troy
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Here is a really over processed image. I ran it through Dynamic HDR, then took the new hdr image and ran it through as a 'single image' hdr a 2nd and 3rd time until the look desired was achieved.

257320803_QAUC7-M-2.jpg

Troy

I never even thought to run the same image through multiple times! I'll have to try that, thanks for the idea.

Oh yeah, love the jeep!
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Here's a few of mine...
    380762033_vg4z8-XL.jpg

397045440_MARG9-XL.jpg

383444100_D2os6-XL.jpg

382903058_Qevu2-XL.jpg

383471039_A5Qnr-XL.jpg

380760126_bFMcZ-XL.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    Nice work cuban. thumb.gif Again, for my taste, I would prefer less saturation