Options

National Parks

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited November 30, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi, I'm planning a yearly national park trip next Spring. Will probably be going the first week of May. I am having trouble deciding between Teton, Glacier, and Yosemite National Parks, none of which I have been to. Was wondering if anyone out there have seen all three, and if there are any opinions about which are particularly photogenic? I know each is unique, and I can't go wrong wherever I go, but just wondering if anyone had personal feelings from experience.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    Glacier National Park is a favorite of mine, but going in early May will limit your access to Logan Pass. Going to the Sun Highway over Logan Pass is only open from mid-June to mid-September - http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gttsrfaq.htm.

My only trip to Yosemite was in mid-March - wet in the valley, snow up high. And I've only been to the Grand Tetons in the summer.

All three parks are gorgeous though, definitely temptations for your camera.

--- Denise
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    i would find out which average spring flower bloom lines up with your timeline.

all are photogenic....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    I don't know about Glacier or Teton, but from experience, if Yosemite doesn't get a lot of snow, and if it warms fast, the great waterfalls won't be as spectacular in May. If we get a lot of snow this year, then Yosemite can be awesome in May. There are tons of other great things in Yosemite to photograph, but waterfalls are my favorite, and if those are what you're after, check what it's going be like so you won't be disappointed. Glacier or Teton might be better. Hope this helps.

Philip
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    If you go to Yosemite you could combine it with Sequoia and or mono lake and any of the eastern sierra sites. The north entrance to Sequoia is only about 3hrs from the wawona (south entrance) of yosemite.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    MaryBooMaryBoo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    I'm a luck girl and have family in Jackson Wyo and we visit often. I was just in Teton in May of this year, my first time in the early spring. They had a ton of snow over the winter and spring was slow coming this year. There was still snow on the ground and we had snow flurries while I was there. This time of year you are going to be shooting landscapes and big game & some birds, no flowers. Also, while the park is open, not many of the food and lodging places are open yet, so plan on staying in Jackson. Oxbow Bend is 1 hour from town. The Mormon Row barns are near the airport, about 30 minutes from town. Yellowstone is driveable, it's 2 hours from town.

During my short stay (May11-16th), the elk start moving out of the National Elk Refuge in town and headed north. Many of the mama elks will stop at Willow Flats, by Oxbow Bend to have their calves. The moose are also on the move and close to the airport. I saw moose every morning I went out. The buffalo are everywhere and the bears are waking up and looking for food down in the valleys, before heading into the hills.

As I was getting ready for my trip, my aunt told me that a mama grizzly and her 3 cubs had been playing on the banks of Oxbow Bend for a few days. So I begged my spouse and rented the big-a$$ lens, (a 600mm with a 1.8 teleconverter) crossed my fingers and hoped for a good bear hunt.

When I went bear-less on my first two trips I was discouraged, but then I hit the jackpot. I found BEAR!! wings.gif This mama bear is known as 399 (her tag number). Her cubs are now two years old. Mama has been raising these cubs along the roadsides of Teton park for the last three years and I was able to photograph these bears in their last days as a family. The day after I last saw them all, Mama took the kids into the hills, told them to get lost and found herself a new man. Maybe she'll have cute little babies next year.

#1 - Mama bear
    406498624_74q6b-M.jpg

#2 - Bear cub

406496546_HHiL9-M.jpg

#3 Mount Moran, Willow Flats and 3 bears
    406508082_8bGPG-M.jpg

My website has more photos or this trip and the one my husband just took with fall colors. www.cherryvalleyphoto.com

#4 - Coyote
    387111226_Sjod4-M-1.jpg

#5 - Fall Colors, Oxbow Bend
    387111112_UPBPA-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    sconniesconnie Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2008
    Utah parks
    If you are thinking about Southern Utah, (on the way from Teton and Yosemite) then both Bryce and Zion may have periodic spring storms that make for nice shots. Bryce at sunrise and Zion Valley at sunset are classics.

Glacier would maybe be a bit early to see the whole park, but shots from the West side would still be great with all the snow up high.

www.tyserphotography.com
    Nikon D70

chrismoore wrote:
    Hi, I'm planning a yearly national park trip next Spring. Will probably be going the first week of May. I am having trouble deciding between Teton, Glacier, and Yosemite National Parks, none of which I have been to. Was wondering if anyone out there have seen all three, and if there are any opinions about which are particularly photogenic? I know each is unique, and I can't go wrong wherever I go, but just wondering if anyone had personal feelings from experience.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Thanks for all of your input and beautiful bear pictures. I think I may try for Glacier, but from what I'm hearing it would be better to delay until after mid June when the whole park is accessible.
    Chris
  • Options
    MaryBooMaryBoo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thanks for all of your input and beautiful bear pictures. I think I may try for Glacier, but from what I'm hearing it would be better to delay until after mid June when the whole park is accessible.
    Chris

When you go to Glacier, watch out for the Going-to-the-Sun road!! That's 52 miles of near terror if you have a fear of heights (my husband) or steep drops (me). I made my husband let me drive, I so that I could be 2 feet closer to the center of the road and away from that steep drop.:whew
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 4, 2008
    In May, you'd be on the cusp of spring in Yosemite. At the tail end of winter in Teton and Glacier.

Each of the parks will have some access issues depending on how winter affected the park. In Yosemite, it's likely Tioga Pass will not be open. In Glacier, Going to the Sun may also be closed. Some of the outlying hotels may also be closed. Teton is fairly open but like the other parks, it'll be chilly :D

You certainly can't go wrong with any of the parks in late winter/early spring. So regardless of where you go, you'll have a great trip.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    For those who have been to Yosemite, I will have about 9 days to travel. I'm coming from Florida so it's a long way, and I've never been to the Oregon coast. I've seen lots of great photos on dgrin from Oregon's coast, and was thinking while on the west coast, visit Yosemite for a few days and then hop up to oregon for a couple of days. My question is do you think that 5 or 6 days is a good amount of time to see Yosemite or should I skip the Oregon bit and spend the whole 9 days in yosemite? All feedback appreciated.
    Chris
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 11, 2008
    It's a day's drive to OR from Yosemite. Travel up I-5 to any of the roads that connect you to the coast (I would pick 36 or 299) and then head up 1/101 from there. The California coast North of SF is very rugged and beautiful. However, it's a two lane road and if you were to take it to OR, it would add significantly to your travel time.

Are you flying or driving to CA? If the later, then I wouldn't go to the coast.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Hey Chris,

I am from Florida as well. I went to the Tetons and Yellowstone this year. The Tetons definitely give you a great subject to take pictures of from different parts of the park, and are even visible Yellowstone! We went for 8 days - 3 in Tetons\Jackson Hole and 5 in Yellowstone. Yellowstone is definitely something to consider as well since the parks are so close to each other. In addition to the mountains in the Teton Park, we also saw a great diversity of animals - Grizzly bears, a Wolf, elk and moose. The small town of Jackson Hole south of the Tetons also has some photogenic opportunities.

If you do the Oregon thing and then drive down to Yosemite, I would try to work in as much of the Pacific Coast Highway as you can. On another trip to San Francisco, we drove it from SF down to Big Sur and the scenery is beautiful. Here are some pics:

239544292_LY4qc-L.jpg

Big Sur lighthouse in the distance:
    180521972_423pf-L.jpg

And McWay Falls is just a 1 mile hike from the road:
    239544267_VyQCc-L.jpg
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    Hi Chris,
    I took a nice long vacation this past September that took me to Yosemite and into Oregon before coming back down. I didn't make it to the coast as I hit Crater Lake instead, so take that into account, but my 4 days in Yosemite weren't anywhere near enough. It was my first visit, and I felt rushed to see everything I could in the time I was there. Even though I rushed, I missed three quarters of the park easy, probably much, much more. Take into account wanting to be in every spot for that "magic light" and 9 days might not be enough!
    Not that I want to discourage Oregon, I've seen the amazing photos posted here on DGrin also, but I could plan a hundred more trips to Yosemite and be excited about every one of them!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos