Options

My new, and Last shots, I hope, The Pier and my trip to Italy

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 10, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I posted this on the Challenge, though I have not checked to see if the horizon needs straightening. I did want to post the pier, before I was ineligible to post piers, as a courtesy issue. I took this today, April 28, Thursday, along with many others. Folly Beach is on the other side of Charleston. Much more hippy than this side. It would have fit my personality perfectly, but when I moved here it was quite far away from any conveniences.

It does have this fishing pier, it hosts dances in the summer. I hope to get to go sometime. Bill has always been working. You know South Carolina invented the shag, or thinks they did, and it is THE dance. I love to watch it.

Anyway, after my mammogram I went out here to finish up, hopefully, with a challenge entry. The light was difficult for me to work with. I ended up over exposing and reducing my exposure almost a full stop. I like my shots, and I have more. These were done hastily, as I said, I have not checked horizons or anything.

Comments are appreciated as there are different approaches to the pier photography, or I should say, under the pier photography. Even looking at the pier photography. Plus there was an interesting house which I would title my trip to Italy.

I doubt, I know, I won't get everything posted this evening, so I hope you stop back. As usual, your comments are important to me, as proved true in the bridge shot.

ginger
20772674-L.jpg

20772671-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    Hope everything came out alright with the mamo, these are great shots, I like them both but the second one is especially compelling.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Ginger,

I like the first photo the best of the two but would probably crop out the right side to limit it to the posts and shadows. As a challenge photo, I think it could be stronger if you explored more of the repeating angle possibilities with the shadows vs the posts.

Great work as usual,
    Brad

P.S. Hope the tests all come back fine.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    #2 under the pier is terrific ginger...i felt a mood as soon as i opened it...like a tempest living in there.

Sort of like a lair....
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Both shots are great. I agree with Gus on the second one: it gives you the feel of special place. Like the Keane song "Somewhere only we know". The first one is really exciting when it comes to the challenge theme. I love the different patterns en repetitions. I don't know about the cropping, but that might have something to do with me feeling that this theme is not about having your picture show only patterns and repetitions, but also patterns and repetitions as we find them crossing our path in regular life. The first is a perfect example of that one, and I feel the pier and guy on the right of the pic adds the "real life" aspect to the picture.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Ginger, both are beautiful and you have chosen a very interesting perspective on them. I hear so much self-doubt in you sometimes, take a deep breath and repeat this: I am a very good photographer, I am a very talented visual person, I love to share my visions with others! :D

You truly are very good, and getting increasingly better all the time! For me, I love the 2nd one best but, that's just my opinion. You know what they say "opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one"! (Hope I didn't offend!)

Be well Gingie, and I hope the mammo is nice and clean!thumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 29, 2005
    I'm diggin under the pier. I really have to say, it has a much nicer feeling than that dark bridge we spent so much time on. :D

I like most how the top isn't flat, so the final shape you see is basically a house, like you'd draw as a little kid.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Both shots are great. I agree with Gus on the second one: it gives you the feel of special place. Like the Keane song "Somewhere only we know". The first one is really exciting when it comes to the challenge theme. I love the different patterns en repetitions. I don't know about the cropping, but that might have something to do with me feeling that this theme is not about having your picture show only patterns and repetitions, but also patterns and repetitions as we find them crossing our path in regular life. The first is a perfect example of that one, and I feel the pier and guy on the right of the pic adds the "real life" aspect to the picture.
    Yes, I feel that any coffee table book, book of examples, etc. would be more liberal on the definitions of patterns and repetitions.

I do have many more examples of "under the pier", alot being like the one here, I mean the cathedral look out to sea. I feel like, know, that almost any day I could go out and take photos almost identicle to the cathedral look, as long as the tide and the weather cooporate, and that could be a personal theme, too. Alot of miles on my car, but I could do "Under the pier, summer, winter, high tide, rain, hurricane. Etc.

The first one I probably would never be able to get again. And it adds the human factor, I like that. Also the beach is practically empty, that is unusual, maybe it has to do with the fact that the kids are still in school and people are not traveling.

I think one of my greatest frustations with this challenge is the "interpretation" of the challenge subject.

As far as cropping, I have plenty of those. I would not need to crop this one, just use one of those. There is a cathedral type one, a horizontal that I liked in RAW, it incorporates the cathedral with the ocean, I think, and I plan to work that up as far as a few others.

Thanks for commenting. When you see that I have bumped this back up to the top, please look again. I do plan on adding photos through out the day.
    I have fruit, too, including my trip to Italy, and more of the bridge. All of which have patterns.

I wish I had some way to meet everyone's comments.............they are all so different, IMO. Tight pattern vs perfect shot, and everything in between.

?????

gingeriloveyou.gif
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    both are really cool shots.
    I'm leaning more towards the first shot but for this challenge crop off the man on the right. It'll focus attention to the pier and the shadows, cos the shadows are really cool.

the 2nd is nice, but I'd want to see a greater DoF, it just looks soft.

ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, I feel that any coffee table book, book of examples, etc. would be more liberal on the definitions of patterns and repetitions.

I do have many more examples of "under the pier", alot being like the one here, I mean the cathedral look out to sea. I feel like, know, that almost any day I could go out and take photos almost identicle to the cathedral look, as long as the tide and the weather cooporate, and that could be a personal theme, too. Alot of miles on my car, but I could do "Under the pier, summer, winter, high tide, rain, hurricane. Etc.

The first one I probably would never be able to get again. And it adds the human factor, I like that. Also the beach is practically empty, that is unusual, maybe it has to do with the fact that the kids are still in school and people are not traveling.

I think one of my greatest frustations with this challenge is the "interpretation" of the challenge subject.

As far as cropping, I have plenty of those. I would not need to crop this one, just use one of those. There is a cathedral type one, a horizontal that I liked in RAW, it incorporates the cathedral with the ocean, I think, and I plan to work that up as far as a few others.

Thanks for commenting. When you see that I have bumped this back up to the top, please look again. I do plan on adding photos through out the day.
    I have fruit, too, including my trip to Italy, and more of the bridge. All of which have patterns.

I wish I had some way to meet everyone's comments.............they are all so different, IMO. Tight pattern vs perfect shot, and everything in between.

?????

gingeriloveyou.gif
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2005
    The Children's Room: 4 28 2005, by ginger
    This is my entry. I have other ones of the cathedral look, many, some softer which I delete as I find them and some probably much sharper. I changed the depth of field many times. I played with it. I took this pier from many perspectives. This is my favorite. I worked it up alot in RAW, then touched it up a bit in levels and saturation, just a tad. I did no shadows/highlights, I thought about doing no sharpening, it didn't seem to need any, but I ended up doing it Rutt's long way with layers.

I wish I could have pleased everyone, including myself, please still make comments, I am. I may even post more here. But this is my favorite. It incorporates the repititious patterns heavily and just adds the human element. To me it is a lighter picture with a whimsical side. That plays on my senses. I hope someone gets the enjoyment from it that I do. This same scene will never be like this again. Those children will grow up somewhere besides on the beach. It is, to me, a very good "get". The patterns take over 3/4s of the photo or more. I borrowed the idea of children and their imagination from someone who posted, humungus I think. Thank you all.

ginger
    20816057-L.jpg

Folly Beach, South Carolina, USA 2005
    Children on the beach as seen from under the pier........
    "cast your eyes ahead and to the side"

Have a great day and weekend.

I have photography all weekend, but not this.
    A nature seminar tomorrow, and a baptism shoot
    on Sunday.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    Excellent choice, G! I really love it. And please, please don't take the challenges too seriously when it comes to interpretation. If one thing, let the challenges trigger you to see your world a little different. You're doing an excellent job with that, and who cares what other people think about the challenge theme? It's your hobby and it's your fun! Don't let your ideas about what others think spoil that. Pleasing others should be the least of your worries. Although of course it's nice when - like now - you like what you did yourself, and others are pleased as well. :D
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2005
    I love this photo Ginger! I didn't realize there was such colour in the pier.

Great eye, Great jobthumb.gif
    Brad
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2005
    Wonderful shot, Ginger. Truly the essence of patterns and repetition with a beautifully lit composition.clap.gif

mitch
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Thank you so much. I feel so good about that photo.

I am discovering the truth most of us know, but tend to forget.........when it is dry, it can be very dry...................but when it rains, it often pours.

I, uh, have more patterns and repetitions. A Peacock, of all things. This is the time of year birds mate and raise their young. Wait til you all see some of this, if I can stay up long enough to post a shot or two.

And I have no idea what to do, I absolutely love my beach shot. So if you all see the peacock, well, comments might help, or not.:D

g (I just got in from a very long day, most of it at the seminar, but I did escape to Barnes and Noble a bit before coming home. The seminar was the most exhausting thing I have done so far. Everything hurt before, now...............)
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    20928262-L.jpg

20928280-L.jpg

4/30/2005

g
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    Wow. :jawdrop Both gorgeous shots. The second one is a real show stopper and inho would make a really good entry in challenge 37. The bridge (which I love), the pier and now these. An embarassment of riches. clap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    So now after all your hard work and ................rolleyes1.gifuhohrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gifD

You now have 3 choices ................... will this ever stop :uhohheadscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifuhoh:):rolleyes1.gif

And the last peacock shot, says "Pick me , Pick ME". clap.gifclap.gif

Now I have to go and feel bad about my ever sinking "FLY" rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :cry :lol4
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    Thanks everyone. I am kind of embarrassed that I was so tired last night. I really do not think I worked them up to my best.............and I have others, too.

The problem is a flaw here or there narrows it, but then I have more than that.

I love the pier shot. I can't imagine that this would not make an excellent entry, the peacock. But I love the pier shot, and actually, artistically, I did have more to do with that.

Birds are shameless at this time of year, and bright plumage is one way to work it.

ginger (too bad this ends tomorrow, I can't make a decision today, I don't think. Gotta get coffee.)
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    So now after all your hard work and ................rolleyes1.gifuhohrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gifD

You now have 3 choices ................... will this ever stop :uhohheadscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifuhoh:):rolleyes1.gif

And the last peacock shot, says "Pick me , Pick ME". clap.gifclap.gif

Now I have to go and feel bad about my ever sinking "FLY" rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :cry :lol4
    Ben, I like your fly, not that i like flys in general, but esthetically, I like it.

ginger (and I do see the humor. love your response. am going to find a rookery and hide in it after tomorrow.)
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    Ginger,

Beautiful birds. The first one seems a little OOF at the eye. Despite the plumage, I am still drawn to the eye which does not seem sharp enough. The second one is a beauty. Have you tried to lighten (burn) the eye area a little? It seems a little too dark. The second one would be a great entry, but I think your pier shot is a winner.

mitch
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2005
    I think this shot is wonderful. I really like the way it goes to the vanishing point, disappearing into the ocean.

Chris
    ginger_55 wrote:
    This is my entry.

ginger
    20816057-S.jpg

Folly Beach, South Carolina, USA 2005
    Children on the beach as seen from under the pier........
    "cast your eyes ahead and to the side"
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    I think this shot is wonderful. I really like the way it goes to the vanishing point, disappearing into the ocean.

Chris
    Chris, thanks, I love that shot, too. I saw mention of it on google, thought it was about someone else, then thought it sounded familiar.

I am going to have to put prices on my stuff today.

ginger