Options

Tutorials - Need opinions - Help Dgrin

2»

Comments

• Options
    sbrandphotogalsbrandphotogal Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I'm going to be working on the tutorials for a while; before updating the actual tutorials, I wanted to update the 'index page'. I think the current version requires too much scrolling, and doesn't give a clear view of what's available.

I have come up with a new idea on the index page, and wanted to see if it is more clear to everyone (most anyway) and not just me.

Old >>>> New

Don't worry about the look/layout of the lists, etc, I'm not done with them yet. I just need to know if I'm going the right direction as far as general idea/ease of use/clearness/etc.

ear.gif

As a Newbie to Dgrin and SmugMug, I have a couple of thoughts. I very much think that you are going in the right direction. I'd consider putting the section on uploading before the section on customization (as in, you can't customize if you haven't uploaded anything!) I'd also consider letting people know in your little intro to the the tutorials section that they tutorials fall, generally, into 3 (or more) catagories: taking better images, digital darkroom tutorials, displaying images both on line (SmugMug) and elsewhere (photo projects). That way the items at the bottom of the page don't get lost...
    Stephanie
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Could you lose the link underlines? Makes it difficult to read. Maybe just a
    hover color.

.gallery_6800599 #albumDescription a {
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    .gallery_6800599 #albumDescription a:hover {
    color: white;
    }
    The formatting of the lists still needs to be finished, but I prefer other ways of making it more legible. This because it's such a universal thing that hyperlinks are underlined. Nearly everyone browsing a web page will expect an underlined word/sentence to be a link.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Hi Ivar

Can anyone submit a tutorial for inclusion on your tutorial pages? I have been teaching photoshop to retired folks for several years now and have some that always go down well.

I am new today and may not be asking the right person, please have mercy!
    Helenbowdown.gif
    Yeah, of course! Anything that you (or anyone else) think can help/benefit others, feel free to share. Please do :D

If you have a SmugMug account, you can use a gallery to create the tutorial, and when you are done, give me the link. If you don't have a SmugMug account, you can create it locally as well, and email me. PM me if you need more info thumb.gif

If you are not sure how to create it, or if you want some help, guidance, also let me know thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Another possibility is to have 2 pages. One for Digital Grin and SmugMug site customization/help tutorials, (the top 3 groups) and the other for photography and image processing tutorials. This would make the separation between the groups distinct. It also allow adding more tutorial sections. I wouldn't mind seeing groups of tutorials on Lightroom and Aperture to go along with the Photoshop tutorials.
    It would make it more distinct indeed, but it kind of falls in the same category as Awais' post, and my reply to that unfortunately.

The index page is linked in many help posts on the forum, and in emails from the SmugMug helpdesk, too. Splitting the page would mean that some of the links would make no sense anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    As a Newbie to Dgrin and SmugMug, I have a couple of thoughts. I very much think that you are going in the right direction. I'd consider putting the section on uploading before the section on customization (as in, you can't customize if you haven't uploaded anything!) I'd also consider letting people know in your little intro to the the tutorials section that they tutorials fall, generally, into 3 (or more) catagories: taking better images, digital darkroom tutorials, displaying images both on line (SmugMug) and elsewhere (photo projects). That way the items at the bottom of the page don't get lost...
    Stephanie
    Good stuff, thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Ivar:

For some reason, I like the flow of the "old" version better. The "new" version looks too cluttered.

And as previously mentioned, I would also revise the order of appearance of these tuts. Starting from basic all the way to advanced.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    It would make it more distinct indeed, but it kind of falls in the same category as Awais' post, and my reply to that unfortunately.

11doh.gif You're right. Sorry I missed that post.
    ivar wrote:
    The index page is linked in many help posts on the forum, and in emails from the SmugMug helpdesk, too. Splitting the page would mean that some of the links would make no sense anymore.

Well updating the email that comes from the SmugMug help desk shouldn't be a problem. But trying to update all the help posts would be a big job and probably not worth the effort. You're right, one page is the right way to go. I think we are getting into details and you can probably consider it "done".
    geoff
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I like and I feel your pain...
    I like what you have done with the new layout. I also understand the problem with keeping the old links still working. I think that new layout is much more intuitive and navigable.

I have been dealing with this stuff for work and it has had me scratching my head for three weeks now. I really like what you have done... back to writing my tutorials.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    smilephotographysmilephotography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2008
    I will get to work!
    ivar wrote:
    Yeah, of course! Anything that you (or anyone else) think can help/benefit others, feel free to share. Please do :D

If you have a SmugMug account, you can use a gallery to create the tutorial, and when you are done, give me the link. If you don't have a SmugMug account, you can create it locally as well, and email me. PM me if you need more info thumb.gif

If you are not sure how to create it, or if you want some help, guidance, also let me know thumb.gif

Thank you Ivar - I will get some ready and contact you if I need to know where to put them, as yet I do not have a smugmug account - Helen
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Thank you Ivar - I will get some ready and contact you if I need to know where to put them, as yet I do not have a smugmug account - Helen

I don't want to hijack Ivar's lovely thread, but on the main page of The Big Picture, there is an essay/photo contest for new memebers like yourself. One of the prizes is a year's subscription to smugmug standard. I would check it out if I were you.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I don't want to hijack Ivar's lovely thread, but on the main page of The Big Picture, there is an essay/photo contest for new memebers like yourself. One of the prizes is a year's subscription to smugmug standard. I would check it out if I were you.

thanks!
    s
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Awais, Geoff, and others; How about making an index page, and splitting the tutes like that? Something like this?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    thanks!
    s

We also have a special smugmug account set up for folks like you that want to create a tutorial but don't have a smugmug.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Awais, Geoff, and others; How about making an index page, and splitting the tutes like that? Something like this?

LOVE this ideailoveyou.gif!!
    Stephanie
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    ivar wrote:

thumb.gif

Yeah! That's the ticket!
    geoff
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Thanks to all who have contributed thumb.gif

I've made the change! The new index page.

I hope this will work better for everyone.

Please continue to give any suggestions here if you have any, please. Things can always be improved thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    Ivar:

For some reason, I like the flow of the "old" version better. The "new" version looks too cluttered.

And as previously mentioned, I would also revise the order of appearance of these tuts. Starting from basic all the way to advanced.
    Trevlan, how do you feel about the new index page? is this better? If not, what can you suggest to make it better? ear.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Trevlan, how do you feel about the new index page? is this better? If not, what can you suggest to make it better? ear.gif
    I'm not trevlan, but I like it! thumb.gif I would only swap SM and Photo, making it
    dgrin - SM - photodeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    LOVE it iloveyou.gif
    //Leah