Options

email issues with blackberry 8300 (curve)

MitchieMooMitchieMoo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 15, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Anyone else having issues emailing pics in from a Blackberry Curve (8300)? They complete sending, but never show up in my Email gallery...
About the name: Mitchie (a nickname from my Mom), my wife Bonnie added the Moo.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    MitchieMoo wrote:
    Anyone else having issues emailing pics in from a Blackberry Curve (8300)? They complete sending, but never show up in my Email gallery...
    I have the same problem with a pc6700, some reason the jpg is not the right
    format and they're not accepted by Smug. Check the upload status in your
    control panel and you'll see the errors there.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    I have the same problem with a pc6700, some reason the jpg is not the right
    format and they're not accepted by Smug. Check the upload status in your
    control panel and you'll see the errors there.

Wow -- thanks for the tip, I had not even discovered that section of the CP. I'll try again here in a minute and see what she says (didn't have any errors from the past couple of days, but that's my own fault -- fixed that).
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Odd thing is, it doesn't show up in the upload log at all. Emailing to my nick@email.smugmug.com with the password in the subject and caption in the body, but its not making it. :(
  • Options
    Kevins9999Kevins9999 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2008
    MitchieMoo wrote:

I'm having this problem too. Nothing is showing up in the error log on SM. I did a little test. I emailed a photo from my blackberry curve to my email account - no problem. However, if I take that emailed photo and attach it to a new email (not a forward) and email it to my account it won't work.

Additionaly, if I try to use the SM uploaded and upload that file, it says everything is ok, but it doesn't actually upload.

Here's the weird part. If I use the SM uploader and copy the file directly out of my curve, then it will upload just fine. I compared the details of the emailed file and the copied file and they're exactly the same.

I am stumped.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    MitchieMoo wrote:
    Odd thing is, it doesn't show up in the upload log at all. Emailing to my nick@email.smugmug.com with the password in the subject and caption in the body, but its not making it. :(

Can you email the same file from a desktop PC and have it show up? It's worth figuring out whether it's the blackberry email that's different, the JPEG that's different or Smug's email accepter isn't working.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    are there any prefs to set on your blackberry? Sending as plain text is a good thing, if you can set that?
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Can you email the same file from a desktop PC and have it show up? It's worth figuring out whether it's the blackberry email that's different, the JPEG that's different or Smug's email accepter isn't working.
    Same problem with pocketpc Mobile5. Smug says file not in recognizable
    format. This a direct email upload from pocketpc or desktop.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Same problem with pocketpc Mobile5. Smug says file not in recognizable
    format. This a direct email upload from pocketpc or desktop.
    ne_nau.gif, if it's a jpg, it'll work.
    maybe your phone gives it a funny extension?
  • Options
    Kevins9999Kevins9999 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Nope..it's definitely a jpg (it uploads fine if I upload it straight out of the phone through the USB connection.) It has something to do with the email process from the Blackberry. There may be a setting in the Blackberry Enterprise Server... I'll check that and let you know.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's a jpg. Something in it is bad, one app won't open it from desltop but in
    another if I open and save it will upload.
  • Options
    stmindstmind Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2008
    Same problem
    I have the same problem with my curve. However, it only seems to be a problem if I send it through my account on my company's BES server. If I send it via my personal account (using standard SMTP), the photos come through.
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    I've having the same problem but with an LG Shine phone.

If I sent a pic taken by the phone camera to my smugmug account, the Email gallery is created, but nothing goes into it. The upload log shows nothing.

If I send the same pic taken by the phone camera to my gmail account, it goes through just fine.

If I send a different pic from my gmail account to smugmug, it does show up in my Email gallery.

If I send that same exact pic that was taken by my phone and use my gmail account to send it to smumug, it DOES show up in my Email gallery.

I have no options available for changing the message format.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Any sort of update on this situation?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    mbrady wrote:
    Any sort of update on this situation?
    Not much we can update, I'm afraid, it sure looks like Blackberry is doing something to to the email :(
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Not much we can update, I'm afraid, it sure looks like Blackberry is doing something to to the email :(
    Having spent more than 15 years in the "email business", there are lots of possibilities on this one. It could be perfectly legal MIME coming from the phone and just not be something that Smugmug is prepared to process. Or, it could be something the phone is doing oddly that most agents receiving email can handle, but Smugmug cannot.

In the end, Smugmug has to decide if they want their email gateway to work with a wide variety of phones and if they do, then they are going to have to track down why it doesn't work when there's a problem. Since none of us can change the way Blackberry does things, the only possible solution here is for Smugmug to adapt. Ball's in their court to decide whether this is something they want to investigate and put in the effort to figure out if it can be made to work.

Being tolerant of all forms of legal MIME is not a perfectly easy job though there are likely some pretty good server-side libraries that do most of the work for you. Being tolerant of all forms of common MIME (which include some things that are not legal) is what you actually have to do if you want good interoperability with a wide range of devices. Since there's no spec out there for what you have to do to achieve this, you only get there by investigating problems one by one and hardening your code each time you find one.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    Andy wrote:

I'm using an LG Shine though, not a Blackberry.

It's nothing critical from my perspective, but it would be nice if it worked right in Smugmug. Outlook, Hotmail, and Gmail all show the pics. It works in Flickr too :cry
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Having spent more than 15 years in the "email business", there are lots of possibilities on this one. It could be perfectly legal MIME coming from the phone and just not be something that Smugmug is prepared to process. Or, it could be something the phone is doing oddly that most agents receiving email can handle, but Smugmug cannot.

In the end, Smugmug has to decide if they want their email gateway to work with a wide variety of phones and if they do, then they are going to have to track down why it doesn't work when there's a problem. Since none of us can change the way Blackberry does things, the only possible solution here is for Smugmug to adapt. Ball's in their court to decide whether this is something they want to investigate and put in the effort to figure out if it can be made to work.

Being tolerant of all forms of legal MIME is not a perfectly easy job though there are likely some pretty good server-side libraries that do most of the work for you. Being tolerant of all forms of common MIME (which include some things that are not legal) is what you actually have to do if you want good interoperability with a wide range of devices. Since there's no spec out there for what you have to do to achieve this, you only get there by investigating problems one by one and hardening your code each time you find one.
    Thanks John, good stuff!
  • Options
    TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    For the Pocket PC crowd
    Allen wrote:
    It's a jpg. Something in it is bad, one app won't open it from desltop but in
    another if I open and save it will upload.

Hi kids... just my two cents...

I have not used the email way of uploading... but I do have an AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1...

I've been able to upload single pictures using "old faithful" from my Tilt... although I have not tired doing more than one picture... It was something that I took with my phone and wanted to try out the Opera browser.

Just thought I'd share this with the Pocket PC kids as I don't have and IPhone or the SmugMug IPhone app... (wishfully thinking that someone would make a small Windows Mobile app for us non IPhone kids)

:D
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2008
    I don't know if this would help, but here are the full headers that I get when I send a photo from my LG Shine to my Gmail account (I've blocked out my email address and phone number, but it's normal in the real header)
    Delivered-To: xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
    Received: by 10.141.63.18 with SMTP id q18cs104145rvk;
            Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:08:29 -0800 (PST)
    Received: by 10.150.216.3 with SMTP id o3mr4445646ybg.84.1229645308126;
            Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:08:28 -0800 (PST)
    Return-Path: <xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net>
    Received: from atlmtaow02.cingularme.com (atlmtaow02.cingularme.com [66.102.165.7])
            by mx.google.com with ESMTP id 10si8558714gxk.57.2008.12.18.16.08.27;
            Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:08:28 -0800 (PST)
    Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 66.102.165.7 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of xxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net) client-ip=66.102.165.7;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=neutral (google.com: 66.102.165.7 is neither permitted nor denied by domain of xxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net) smtp.mail=xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
    X-Mms-MMS-Version: 18
    Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:12:51 -0600
    X-Nokia-Ag-Internal: ; smiltype=true; internaldate=1229645571928
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed;  boundary="----=_Part_13857179_12768077.1229645571935"
    X-Mms-Delivery-Report: 1
    Received: from schagw02 ([209.183.32.189]) by atlmtaow02.cingularme.com (InterMail vM.6.01.04.00 201-2131-118-20041027) with ESMTP id <20081219000826.JYQG28902.atlmtaow02.cingularme.com@schagw02> for <xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>; Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:08:26 -0500
    X-Mms-Transaction-ID: MMS0002093196684
    To: xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
    X-Mms-Message-Class: 0
    X-Mms-Read-Reply: 1
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <12478649.1229645571936.JavaMail.wluser@schagw02>
    X-Mms-Priority: 1
    X-Mms-Message-Type: 0
    Subject: Multimedia message
    X-Nokia-Ag-Version: 2.0

------=_Part_13857179_12768077.1229645571935
    Content-Type: image/jpeg
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-ID: <1124081104-00.jpg>
    Content-Location: 1124081104-00.jpg
    Content-Disposition: inline

/9j/4WTRRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAPAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAGAAAAlgESAAMAAAABAAEA
    AAEaAAUAAAABAAAAnAEbAAUAAAABAAAApAEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAIAAAArAITAAMAAAAB
    AAEAAIdpAAQAAAABAAAAxMSlAAcAAAAQAAAAtAAAAhxMRyBFTEVDVFJPTklDUwAAQ1U3MjAAAAAA

There was tons more characters like that, and then it ended with this
    ------=_Part_13857179_12768077.1229645571935--

I've tested with Gmail, Hotmail, Exchange/Outlook, and Flickr and the photos show up just fine with all of those.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I have a Blackberry Tour and also cannot upload. Any chance this might be fixed in the near future?

Thanks,
    Dan