Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    /keyword/portraits
    Might be just the way Smug's default galleries show.

Very interesting... didn't even know you can pass a keyword like that and search. I do see what you're saying. Trouble is I don't get the overlap on my 27" screen. Will have to play around with the setting on a smaller screen to get it right. Do appreciate the heads up though. Can't have my header covering my images.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    Very interesting... didn't even know you can pass a keyword like that and search. I do see what you're saying. Trouble is I don't get the overlap on my 27" screen. Will have to play around with the setting on a smaller screen to get it right. Do appreciate the heads up though. Can't have my header covering my images.
    24" monitor here and it overlapped. Bunch of the keyword galleries that photos showed up was like this.
    Try beaches.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    I noticed also a few broken links of images for your pages of bio, tips etc.

I don't seem to have any issue with any overlapping.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2014
    -
    Harm wrote: »
    I noticed also a few broken links of images for your pages of bio, tips etc.

I don't seem to have any issue with any overlapping.

Can you explain what you mean by broken links on those pages you reference?

The images displayed on my Bio, Tips and Rates pages are not meant to be clickable. They are simply page graphics.

Are you able to click on them?

Alex

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TransynergycTransynergyc Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2014
    HDR, Reverse Macro Prints and Photography
    http://transynergyc.smugmug.com

I've just started my account a week ago (trial), and I'm looking forward to make my first sale.
    I shoot HDR landscape, buildings, tiny objects, flowers, snowflakes.
    Suggestions to improve, adjustments on my webpage?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited May 30, 2014
    Start by removing the smugmug header and footer. They do not give your site a professional look.

I was a bit startled by being taken into the shopping cart when I selected entries from your menu. Before I look at the cart I want to view the photos in the context of a gallery. The immediate jump into the cart would likely trigger me to close the site.

I would rethink your homepage presentation. Right now I don't see a way to simply open a gallery.

The photos in your macro gallery allow access to the originals. This means that there is no need to purchase the photos from you as your viewers can simply download them for free.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Very nice! Your site has a very professional look while still being quite inviting. You have a good sampling of photos on your home page, enough for me to see your style.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MelendezphotoMelendezphoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2014
    I'll toss my hat in the mix. Feedback welcome.

http://www.melendezphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    I like the clean look of your site.

A couple of things jumped out at me. First, I find it jarring to go from the white background of your blog to the light purplish-gray background of your smug site. I prefer the white - but above all I would prefer that both sites had the same background.

It looks like you are selling photographic services but those services are not described anywhere on your site. The About Us page focuses on the personal, not the professional. Do you sell your services for wedding, engagement, and portrait photography? If you do, why not include information on your site. The only contact is the standard smug contact form - I don't think I'd be likely to contact you to ask about your services without some "trigger" information on the site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Start by removing the smugmug header and footer. They do not give your site a professional look.

I was a bit startled by being taken into the shopping cart when I selected entries from your menu. Before I look at the cart I want to view the photos in the context of a gallery. The immediate jump into the cart would likely trigger me to close the site.

I would rethink your homepage presentation. Right now I don't see a way to simply open a gallery.

The photos in your macro gallery allow access to the originals. This means that there is no need to purchase the photos from you as your viewers can simply download them for free.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise for your useful advice.
    http://transynergyc.smugmug.com/
    Everything mentioned should be fixed, but I just wanna make sure that it as perfect.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2014
    Everything mentioned should be fixed, but I just wanna make sure that it as perfect.
    It's better, but I still believe the entries in your menu should go to the galleries specified, not to the buy photos page.

If you're going to keep the menu items going to the buy photos page you should look at that page when you are not logged in. When I clicked the menu item for Reverse Macro Prints I was taken to a "buy photos" page for 4x6 photos, all of which are marked "not available".

--- Denise
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    -

Can you explain what you mean by broken links on those pages you reference?

The images displayed on my Bio, Tips and Rates pages are not meant to be clickable. They are simply page graphics.

Are you able to click on them?

Alex

apologies - I meant the link to show the image is broken. It doesn't show an image at all, just the "broken link" image itself on a few of those pages.
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Thanks Denise for your useful advice.

On my monitor, your background image is not stretchy or large enough, so it is repeating and does not fit the whole hieght. See screen shot below:

i-bBwxM97-M.png
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I didn't noticed it until I zoomed it out.
    If it meant better to bring visitors to gallery page in the menu, then I would do that.

Fixed:
    -Background currently set to one color to avoid zoom-out repeating conflict
    -Menu links for prints now go to galleries

*The buy photos page is always starting at 8x10 or 8x12, since 4x6 is removed.

One question: how do I customize Right-click disabled's message?
  • Options
    RolfvpRolfvp Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2014
    www.ibspangolsen.dk
    This page presents the artwork of Ib Spang Olsen (1921-2012). He was one of Denmark's most beloved illustrators. Many of his books were translated into several languages​​. The most famous is "The Boy in the Moon" (1971) and "Little Locomotive" (1976). The presentation of framed artwork in smugmug has been challenging and gave us many limitations. But we love the way the art is presented.

www.ibspangolsen.dk
  • Options
    MelendezphotoMelendezphoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2014
    I like the clean look of your site.

A couple of things jumped out at me. First, I find it jarring to go from the white background of your blog to the light purplish-gray background of your smug site. I prefer the white - but above all I would prefer that both sites had the same background.

It looks like you are selling photographic services but those services are not described anywhere on your site. The About Us page focuses on the personal, not the professional. Do you sell your services for wedding, engagement, and portrait photography? If you do, why not include information on your site. The only contact is the standard smug contact form - I don't think I'd be likely to contact you to ask about your services without some "trigger" information on the site.

--- Denise
    Thanks Denise, I'll work on those things.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    I'll play.

Disclaimer: my site was designed/built by a third party on the legacy platform, and then migrated over. I have been making minor tweaks to the site.

Any input/advice will be (very) much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2014
    troopers wrote: »
    I'll play.

Disclaimer: my site was designed/built by a third party on the legacy platform, and then migrated over. I have been making minor tweaks to the site.

Beautiful, clean, and simple. Well Done.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Beautiful, clean, and simple. Well Done.

Thanks David. I feel like I need to refine it a tad more, particular the portfolio galleries and them current.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Any input/advice will be (very) much appreciated.
    I like the looks of your site, simple and very clean.

One thing that jumped out at me is that the photos in your Portfolio are priced for sale. Most of the galleries in that folder look like they are samples of your work; do you really want them available for purchase?

The My Muse gallery in the Portfolio folder does not have an image featured. That makes the Portfolio folder look incomplete.

--- Denise
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2014
    I'll play.

Nice clean site with good layout. The only thing that didn't look too good was the 'services' page http://www.robertchenphotography.com/Pages/Services I thought there was a little too much detail there: perhaps edit it a bit? Also, the font seems quite small (my eyesight is quite good) I had to +2 the browser zoom to make it more comfortable to read. I think 'photograph' should read 'photography' in the first paragraph - and you don't really need to tell people your work is clean, crisp, simple and modern - I can see that straight away as it's obvious.

The offer to meet for coffee/meal seemed a bit pressing - as if you are really looking for any work. I think I'd drop that. You can always offer once you speak to people on the phone or email.
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    I like the looks of your site, simple and very clean.

One thing that jumped out at me is that the photos in your Portfolio are priced for sale. Most of the galleries in that folder look like they are samples of your work; do you really want them available for purchase?

The My Muse gallery in the Portfolio folder does not have an image featured. That makes the Portfolio folder look incomplete.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, you rock!

Yes, photos in the portfolio shouldn't be for sale. I've changed that.

I've assigned a featured imaged in the My Muse gallery.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Nice clean site with good layout. The only thing that didn't look too good was the 'services' page http://www.robertchenphotography.com/Pages/Services I thought there was a little too much detail there: perhaps edit it a bit? Also, the font seems quite small (my eyesight is quite good) I had to +2 the browser zoom to make it more comfortable to read. I think 'photograph' should read 'photography' in the first paragraph - and you don't really need to tell people your work is clean, crisp, simple and modern - I can see that straight away as it's obvious.

The offer to meet for coffee/meal seemed a bit pressing - as if you are really looking for any work. I think I'd drop that. You can always offer once you speak to people on the phone or email.

Thanks for taking time to visit and comment.

Editing now...
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2014
    Rolfvp wrote: »
    This page presents the artwork of Ib Spang Olsen (1921-2012). He was one of Denmark's most beloved illustrators. Many of his books were translated into several languages​​. The most famous is "The Boy in the Moon" (1971) and "Little Locomotive" (1976). The presentation of framed artwork in smugmug has been challenging and gave us many limitations. But we love the way the art is presented.

www.ibspangolsen.dk

Very nicely done. Clean looking and although I'm never sure about mostly white sites yours works very well. I love the illustrations, especially the one of the kite on the home page. As a matter of interest (I've always wondered) how do you photograph paintings and sketches?
  • Options
    RolfvpRolfvp Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2014
    Very nicely done. Clean looking and although I'm never sure about mostly white sites yours works very well. I love the illustrations, especially the one of the kite on the home page. As a matter of interest (I've always wondered) how do you photograph paintings and sketches?

Thanks for your comments. As you know, it's hard to photograph art that is behind glass. The drawings you see in this gallery http://www.ibspangolsen.dk/Gallerier/Kunsttryk-plakater are all scans. The frame is photographed and Mat board is digital. Then it is set up in InDesign, size 1:1, and exported as jpg with drop shadow, etc.

Drawings in this gallery http://www.ibspangolsen.dk/Gallerier/Originaler/ are photographed. In order to avoid reflections in the glass, we used a large black piece of cardboard with a hole for the lens. On one of the photos I forgot the black cardboard and therefore, you can clearly see the shadow of the camera.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2014
    OK... so looking at some of the sites posted made me revamp mine again. I went completely different with this one. I've had a white/light site with the legacy smug and also when I converted to new smug. This time I went dark. I also added a slideshow to my homepage; my old homepage was very similar to the new portfolio page. Still not sure I want to keep it that way. If I change it, my home page would basically be the portfolio page. I also made some minor tweaks to my other pages.

Would love some feedback. Well, here is the site: http://www.alexsotelophotography.com/

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2014
    Would love some feedback. Well, here is the site: http://www.alexsotelophotography.com/
    Alex -
    I prefer a light background but that is really personal preference and not a statement about your site.

For the most part I think your site looks great. The only page that jumps out at me as problematic is your bio page. It looks good on a large screen with the browser window stretched wide. I almost never open browser windows full width on my large screen; when I opened your bio your image was behind the menu bar. I also took a look at it with http://quirktools.com/screenfly. You should probably look at it there on some smaller screens - tablet sized up to large screen sized.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2014

Yes, it's very good. Simple to navigate and a good layout. Very presentable. I don't like the centralized text on the bio page as it's difficult to scan - but that could just be me. I think the advice on what to wear for a session is very good: a lot of portraits are ruined by people wearing the wrong clothes.

They say you can fall a long way without breaking anything by letting yourself go limp - like a cat! :D
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2014
    Alex -
    I prefer a light background but that is really personal preference and not a statement about your site.

For the most part I think your site looks great. The only page that jumps out at me as problematic is your bio page. It looks good on a large screen with the browser window stretched wide. I almost never open browser windows full width on my large screen; when I opened your bio your image was behind the menu bar. I also took a look at it with http://quirktools.com/screenfly. You should probably look at it there on some smaller screens - tablet sized up to large screen sized.

--- Denise

Hey Denise. Thanks for the feedback. That's a nifty tool. The bio background image was an experiment. Will see what I can do to make it look better on small resolution monitors. That tool will come in handy for testing.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2014
    Yes, it's very good. Simple to navigate and a good layout. Very presentable. I don't like the centralized text on the bio page as it's difficult to scan - but that could just be me. I think the advice on what to wear for a session is very good: a lot of portraits are ruined by people wearing the wrong clothes.

They say you can fall a long way without breaking anything by letting yourself go limp - like a cat! :D

Thanks Macro. Yeah, the Tips page comes from experience with poor clothing choices of clients and it's been helpful.

I agree about the Bio page. Needs some work. thumb.gif

My Smug Site