Options

The Smart Galleries and Collect Photos Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    pat.kane wrote:
    If I understand it correctly, the "Match Rules" of Any or All seem to apply to all of the rules and can't be limited to a subset. I'd like to create a Smart Gallery that shows pictures of the coaches for a given team, e.g., using keywords:

Wildcats AND (Coach Mark OR Coach Matt)

If I create the 3 rules and select ANY, I get all of the Wildcats photos. If I select ALL, only pictures that include both coaches are returned. The workaround is to not associate a rule to the team, but Coach Mark might coach both basketball and baseball.

It would probably be difficult to create a user interface to handle the more complex searches. If that is what is limiting this feature, I suggest looking at how MS Outlook deals with this problem when creating custom filters for the calendar. They provide an option to directly write the SQL statement, bypassing the pretty GUI.

I haven't tried this, but I wonder if you might achieve this in two steps:
    1. Unlisted "Coaches" gallery for (Coach Mark OR Coach Matt)
    2. Listed gallery for (Coaches AND Wildcats)
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    RuntscalRuntscal Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Maybe you are trying to accomplish something more complicated that I did -- but I have multiple galleries filled with photos from football games, banquet etc. I made galleries by player using smart rules and one for what I called the Support Team (trainers, managers, coaches, fans etc). I simply entered the rule sgpsup09 (for the school, support & the year). I entered this keyword on each photo & it populated what I wanted.

pat.kane wrote:
    If I understand it correctly, the "Match Rules" of Any or All seem to apply to all of the rules and can't be limited to a subset. I'd like to create a Smart Gallery that shows pictures of the coaches for a given team, e.g., using keywords:

Wildcats AND (Coach Mark OR Coach Matt)

If I create the 3 rules and select ANY, I get all of the Wildcats photos. If I select ALL, only pictures that include both coaches are returned. The workaround is to not associate a rule to the team, but Coach Mark might coach both basketball and baseball.

It would probably be difficult to create a user interface to handle the more complex searches. If that is what is limiting this feature, I suggest looking at how MS Outlook deals with this problem when creating custom filters for the calendar. They provide an option to directly write the SQL statement, bypassing the pretty GUI.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Thanks Jan and Monica, I already created a workaround by simply adding "coach" as a keyword to the relevant images. It's a simple change in Lightroom for this to be done automatically and smugmug's online tools make this a snap for pictures already uploaded.

I've been using keywords extensively for over 10 years, so I'm excited to see smugmug developing new features to take advantage of keywords, but I'm also torn as I always want more power, e.g., true Boolean search, "contains" instead of an absolute match (that would have solved the problem as well), etc. Regardless, it's a good start.
  • Options
    Dan StreiffertDan Streiffert Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2010
    Potential Bug in Smart Gallerues
    The new Smart Galleries are great. When adding keyword based photos to an existing gallery, it works fine. The problem is that when I add new photos later on, with the same keyword, the smart gallery is not updated.
    The smart gallery http://danstreiffert.smugmug.com/Hot-Spots/Skagit-Flats/11136134_kZD9N#785672864_NNPeQ
    is based on the keyword "skagit flats" and includes several photos from other galleries. I recently added a new photo to my "Recent Photos" gallery with the same keyword, but it does not show up in the smart gallery. You can verify this by doing a keyword search, which shows 40 photos with keyword "skagit flats", but there are only 39 in the smart gallery.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2010
    The new Smart Galleries are great. When adding keyword based photos to an existing gallery, it works fine. The problem is that when I add new photos later on, with the same keyword, the smart gallery is not updated.
    The smart gallery http://danstreiffert.smugmug.com/Hot-Spots/Skagit-Flats/11136134_kZD9N#785672864_NNPeQ
    is based on the keyword "skagit flats" and includes several photos from other galleries. I recently added a new photo to my "Recent Photos" gallery with the same keyword, but it does not show up in the smart gallery. You can verify this by doing a keyword search, which shows 40 photos with keyword "skagit flats", but there are only 39 in the smart gallery.

Hey -- I reported this issue under Bug Reporting --- see thread -- they are looking into it. See also my post in this thread #242. I found that if I re-save my smart rules-- it will then populate immediately. However, not the way it should work & a pain in the butt if you've set up a ton of virtual galleries.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=158660
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Bug with Arrange Mode?
    I'm trying to put a smart gallery together where the ordering of the photos is critical to the story I'm telling. However, I noticed that the ordering of the photos in the gallery is not quite as I've collected them. I've tried using arrange mode but in the Smart Gallery, this does not let me move the photos around. Tested with:

MacBook running Snow Leopard
    Firefox 3.5.8
    Also Safari 4.0.4

Regards
    J
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    Hi, you can't manually arrange collected photos, I'm so very sorry :(
  • Options
    MikaGrinMikaGrin Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Andy wrote:

We can't share them by email too i guess.....:(

Mika
    Mika: On Smugmug :thumb
    Michael Bastia (MB) Photographie Web Site :lust
  • Options
    PhotosbymargiePhotosbymargie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2010
    Notification process
    I love the concept of the collect photos. Do you see a feature for the future that we might be notified if someone collects our photos?
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I love the concept of the collect photos. Do you see a feature for the future that we might be notified if someone collects our photos?
    Hi Margie! Its been brought up before and is a great suggestion. Please add this as a Feature Request here so others can chime in also: http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    facebook and smart galleries
    Great feature you've added, btw. I've completely redone my organization based solely on keywords. I upload every image to a "Master" gallery called, "Photography". Each image in the master gallery is carefully keyworded. Based on these keywords, the images are then distributed to various Smart Galleries. I totally love the organization and integration with Lightroom. I've even geoencoded the images. That took a long time, but it was totally worth it, IMO.

You may have already answered this, but here's my question. I like to be "social" and share images from a smart gallery to facebook. However, every time I share images this way, when the imbedded link in facebook is clicked, the viewer is taken to my Master (original) gallery and not the virtual gallery. Is there a way I can direct the viewer to the smart gallery instead?

Thanks!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    thapamd wrote:
    Great feature you've added, btw. I've completely redone my organization based solely on keywords. I upload every image to a "Master" gallery called, "Photography". Each image in the master gallery is carefully keyworded. Based on these keywords, the images are then distributed to various Smart Galleries. I totally love the organization and integration with Lightroom. I've even geoencoded the images. That took a long time, but it was totally worth it, IMO.

You may have already answered this, but here's my question. I like to be "social" and share images from a smart gallery to facebook. However, every time I share images this way, when the imbedded link in facebook is clicked, the viewer is taken to my Master (original) gallery and not the virtual gallery. Is there a way I can direct the viewer to the smart gallery instead?

Thanks!
    not yet, sorry Mahesh.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    not yet, sorry Mahesh.

Ah well...no worries. I can live without that feature. :D

Just want to say that you and your staff are amazingly professional and helpful. Thank you.clap.gifclap.gif

Mahesh
  • Options
    YPrincessYPrincess Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    "include unlisted/password protected photos" not behaving correctly
    Why when I set "include unlisted/password protected photos" to NO, the preview show no photos at all. I do have galleries that are public. Is it a bug? If I set to YES, then I get all photos even the ones I don't want to be listed which are unlisted galleries. Currently, setting to NO is no working correctly.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2010
    Bug Report - http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=158660

Thru Testing I have found that as of today - the only setting that I find that works is ANY + YES (include password protected & unlisted). The images I have keyworded/coded to match the smart rules are NOT password protected or unlisted.

If I use ANY + NO (nothing populates)
    If I use ALL + YES or NO (nothing populates & if I had existing images in the smart gallery -- they would disappear)

See above Bug Report - Doc is working on this.

YPrincess wrote:
    Why when I set "include unlisted/password protected photos" to NO, the preview show no photos at all. I do have galleries that are public. Is it a bug? If I set to YES, then I get all photos even the ones I don't want to be listed which are unlisted galleries. Currently, setting to NO is no working correctly.
  • Options
    rujerorujero Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Isn't this back to front?
    I hope I am not missing something but it would have been a lot better to start from the "receiving" gallery and browse the other galleries to collect photos.
    How it has been implemented, to create a virtual gallery with 10 photos from different galleries I have to go into each...
  • Options
    richturkrichturk Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    How do I make a 'smart gallery' un-smart
    I set up the gallery, made it smart, used keywords, but it pulled in a lot of dupes from that are housed in multiple galleries and they can't be deleted.

How can I remove the "smart" setting and start manually populating the gallery? or do have to delete the whole thing and start all over?
    tx

rt

http://www.richturkphotos.com/Sunapeescenics
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    Virtual Gallery not showing comments
    If a viewer or I enter a comment in a virtual gallery, and designate the comment for that particular gallery (ie, not for a picture in that gallery), the comment is not displayed. If the viewer or I do the same for a particular picture within the virtual gallery, there is no problem and the comment is displayed. Is this a known bug?headscratch.gif

Mahesh
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    The statistics for virtual galleries are zero. I think when user views a pic in smart gallery, the hit count goes to original gallery.
    I think this is by design, right?
    However, if we could get "gallery" hit number for smart galleries, it will be great!
  • Options
    Zach23Zach23 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Category errors
    Would this have anything to do with why I can't control my galleries thumbnails now? It used to be the feature image in the first gallery, but now it seems to pull randomly from any of the galleries. One of the categories says that are no images but when you click on it, it is full of images. Also in the smugmug home page I can't list the categories anymore it only lists all of my galleries... help!!!

www.zachmahone.com/gallieries
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Morning,

I believe this has been said before ... but not sure, so appologise if this is a repeat

The Smart Galleries are good, actually very good. And the ability to Collect many photos from one galaery without having to repeat the target Smart Gallery is splendid. But please don't stop there. The target Smart gallery should stay selected till I say otherwise.

I have a number of ideas of how to set up smart galleries and populate them from various real galleries. But the extra work of having to re-select the target smart gallery all the time just puts me off.

I very much ask for a way to specify a target smart gallery once and then go around to any real gallery and collect ... and in the end close the target setting. This would make life oh so much easier.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I searched the thread, but didn't find any information on this. Has anyone tried hiding a collected photo? Does this work?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    I searched the thread, but didn't find any information on this. Has anyone tried hiding a collected photo? Does this work?
    Why not just try it?
    It does work, fyi.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Why not just try it?
    It does work, fyi.
    Was dealing with Internet issues at the time. Thank you for the reply. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Are there any specific system requirements to use Collect photos? headscratch.gif On all but my fastest system, an hp dc5750 with 3gb of ram, it will have a problem with scripts timing out. And on the dc5750, it took almost 10 minutes to collect 530 photos in bulk from a single gallery with select all.

I think the problem is in building the javascript menus for all my galleries since those numbers over 2k. But I don't know how that could be avoided. ne_nau.gif

Any assistance appreciated.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Andy,

I've read all 268 posts hoping I would find some encouraging news about being able to manually arrange collected images. Your latest response doesn't offer much hope, so I'm gathering that you have given up. If so, that's really too bad as many of us feel that it's a deal-breaker.

However... What about just giving us a "Many Photos - Copy to Gallery" tool? That's what we're doing now - making copies. This tool would speed up the process MASSIVELY! You already have a "Many Photos - Move to Gallery" tool. Just land it right below it. I'm sure I'm making it sound easier than it is, but has no one thought of this?
  • Options
    nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    this is a bandwidth issue that smugmug does not want to undertake
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    I've run into a bug with Collect Photos and the Hide tool that cost me a few hours sleep.

Here's the scenario. I needed to have a gallery that was a sub-set of another gallery. To do so, I used collecting versus just uploading twice.

I made a gallery and put images in it. Hid certain files. Created a new gallery. Collected photos from the first gallery and put them in this new one. Now both galleries are the same including hide marks. Gallery settings for both galleries are the same.

In the newly created gallery, I hide even more photos. But what happened was that those hide marks also affected the first gallery. eek7.gif Someone looking at the two galleries called me and pointed this out. I had to go back to the first gallery and fix all the hide marks. These did not affect the second gallery.

I was hesitant to use this new feature because I wasn't confident if it was bug free. I should've just uploaded twice even though this is a perfect use of collections.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    SamirD wrote:
    I've run into a bug with Collect Photos and the Hide tool that cost me a few hours sleep.

Here's the scenario. I needed to have a gallery that was a sub-set of another gallery. To do so, I used collecting versus just uploading twice.

I made a gallery and put images in it. Hid certain files. Created a new gallery. Collected photos from the first gallery and put them in this new one. Now both galleries are the same including hide marks. Gallery settings for both galleries are the same.

In the newly created gallery, I hide even more photos. But what happened was that those hide marks also affected the first gallery. eek7.gif Someone looking at the two galleries called me and pointed this out. I had to go back to the first gallery and fix all the hide marks. These did not affect the second gallery.

I was hesitant to use this new feature because I wasn't confident if it was bug free. I should've just uploaded twice even though this is a perfect use of collections.
    A much more straightfoward way of doing this would be to only put the desired subset of photos into the collected gallery in the first place. I would probably do this with keywords. Go through the original gallery and add a keyword to each photo you want in the collected gallery. Then make a virtual gallery based on those keywords. Then, you never have this issue with Hide. I personally find Hide quite troubling. Because they show to you the site owner, it's very easy to mess up and not correctly see what your viewers will see. Apparently, they also have some weird interactions with collections. I avoid the feature as much as possible.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited March 30, 2010
    jpc wrote:
    However... What about just giving us a "Many Photos - Copy to Gallery" tool? That's what we're doing now - making copies. This tool would speed up the process MASSIVELY!

15524779-Ti.gif