Options

The Smart Galleries and Collect Photos Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I apologize if it is already answered somewhere but is it possible to create a smart gallery using caption as a search criterium?
    I see by keywords and other things but not caption. I have galleries without keywords.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    TCS wrote: »
    I apologize if it is already answered somewhere but is it possible to create a smart gallery using caption as a search criterium?
    I see by keywords and other things but not caption. I have galleries without keywords.
    I don't think that's possible. Keywords are indexed for this type of use, captions are not.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    I don't think that's possible. Keywords are indexed for this type of use, captions are not.
    Thank you J

Is there a way to automatically create keywords from captions in a specific gallery?
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    TCS wrote: »
    Thank you J

Is there a way to automatically create keywords from captions in a specific gallery?
    Not that I know of. You could go to bulk caption/keyword and copy the caption to the keyword box, but you'd have to do that for each image (though all in the same bulk keyword screen).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    Not that I know of. You could go to bulk caption/keyword and copy the caption to the keyword box, but you'd have to do that for each image (though all in the same bulk keyword screen).

Thank you for the quick answer. Those are older galleries...
    What you descrive I was aware of. That is too time consuming....
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    "Collect Photos" bug in IE
    There seems to be a bug on the Collect Photos / Select Photos panel when using Internet Explorer (in the source gallery: Tools > More > Collect Photos). The Display in the following gallery drop-down list pops subcategory & gallery names out to the left, but in a layer UNDER the gallery's images (if there are enough to span the width of the page). Thus the list cannot be read to select the desired target gallery.

This problem does not occur with Firefox or Chrome.

I reported this to the helpdesk a few weeks ago, and the engineers are apparently working on it.

Has anyone possibly found a workaround?
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    No John, I'm not.We have heard this feature request, and said we want to do this. It's in active Sorcery right now - can't say when we'll have it but we plan on it. Thanks as always for your input thumb.gif

Andy,

Is the ability to manually arrange collected photos still being worked on? If so, will we see it any time soon?

JP
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    jpc wrote: »
    Andy,

Is the ability to manually arrange collected photos still being worked on? If so, will we see it any time soon?

JP

Yes it's being worked on. ETA is not set yet as there is a TON of behind-the-scenes stuff that needs to finish first.
  • Options
    daboodahdaboodah Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2010
    1000 photo limit
    Just curious...why the 1000 photo limit for smart galleries? I want to maintain my galleries primarily by event, but would also like a smart gallery that automatically contains all photos tagged with my son's name (to make it as simple as possible for the grandparents to find). I tried to use a smart gallery but was disappointed that it couldn't list more than 1000 photos. I know they could simply use my son's name as keyword to always find his photos, but it would be simpler for them to just have a gallery that always includes the latest, regardless of the actual gallery they get put in.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    daboodah wrote: »
    Just curious...why the 1000 photo limit for smart galleries? I want to maintain my galleries primarily by event, but would also like a smart gallery that automatically contains all photos tagged with my son's name (to make it as simple as possible for the grandparents to find). I tried to use a smart gallery but was disappointed that it couldn't list more than 1000 photos. I know they could simply use my son's name as keyword to always find his photos, but it would be simpler for them to just have a gallery that always includes the latest, regardless of the actual gallery they get put in.
    It's to keep everything zippy fast.
  • Options
    NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but this thread is 16 pages!

Is it possible to collect photos into a new gallery and then give them a different watermark while leaving the original gallery intact?
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2010
    Tecnicole wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but this thread is 16 pages!

Is it possible to collect photos into a new gallery and then give them a different watermark while leaving the original gallery intact?
    No, it is not. Collected photos obey all the properties of their original photos in their original gallery.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    No, it is not. Collected photos obey all the properties of their original photos in their original gallery.

Is there a way to place copies of photos from one gallery into another gallery so you can change the properties, or you have to upload the photos again?
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2010
    Tecnicole wrote: »
    Is there a way to place copies of photos from one gallery into another gallery so you can change the properties, or you have to upload the photos again?
    You can make a 2nd copy of a photo one at a time and then move it to a different gallery. But, I find that process incredibly slow and laborious so I just upload a new second copy. I can just queue those all up and let them upload while I walk away from the computer.

Making second copies on smugmug means a whole bunch of consecutive mouse clicks, waiting for Smugmug, more mouse clicks, waiting for Smugmug and then repeating that process over and over again. I find it laborious.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2010
    You can make a 2nd copy of a photo one at a time and then move it to a different gallery. But, I find that process incredibly slow and laborious so I just upload a new second copy. I can just queue those all up and let them upload while I walk away from the computer.

Making second copies on smugmug means a whole bunch of consecutive mouse clicks, waiting for Smugmug, more mouse clicks, waiting for Smugmug and then repeating that process over and over again. I find it laborious.

Thanks John. At least now I know the option is there if I am on the road without the ability to upload the photos into a new gallery.
  • Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Can the maximum size of a "virtual" photo be enforced in a Virtual Gallery or does it take the setting from the original?
  • Options
    Can the maximum size of a "virtual" photo be enforced in a Virtual Gallery or does it take the setting from the original?
    Virtual copies take the setting from the original. To have a different setting for the photo, you have to either copy it or re-upload a new copy to the new gallery so it can then have it's own setting.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    I think that a virtual gallery level setting should be honored and not inherited from original, especially the maximum resolution.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    I think that a virtual gallery level setting should be honored and not inherited from original, especially the maximum resolution.
    But this would cause problems for galleries that have collected photos from other users. Why should you have access to someone else's original if you collected it?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    I am only interested in being able to reduce the maximum size.
  • Options
    I am only interested in being able to reduce the maximum size.
    Ahhh...gotcha. I thought that was already possible? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SamirD wrote: »
    But this would cause problems for galleries that have collected photos from other users. Why should you have access to someone else's original if you collected it?
    That design issue could be solved by not allowing another user to specify a larger size than the original gallery, but while allowing the site owner to specify any size. They are your photos so there's no conceptual reason not to allow YOU the site owner to have one max size in one place and a different max size in a different place. The issues here are more likely practical ones related to Smugmug's chosen implementation or the priority of implementing the more flexible approach.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    that design issue could be solved by not allowing another user to specify a larger size than the original gallery, but while allowing the site owner to specify any size. They are your photos so there's no conceptual reason not to allow you the site owner to have one max size in one place and a different max size in a different place. The issues here are more likely practical ones related to smugmug's chosen implementation or the priority of implementing the more flexible approach.

+1
  • Options
    JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2010
    Forgive me if I missed the defining post, but I did sort through the 17 pages of this forum and didn't seem to see a concrete answer.

Whew!

While it seems that one of the major issues is being addressed by SM (manually arranging photos in a smart gallery), I was wondering if someone can definitively say whether or not the issue with the smart gallery settings being inherited from the “parent” gallery was going to also be addressed in the future? Smart galleries are a really nice feature, but the ability to say PW protect the parent making available the originals and a download option, while having a publicly available smart gallery with limited settings would be perfect. There are numerous posts regarding this aspect of smart galleries, but I don’t recall seeing a post from someone at SM stating whether this is something they will work on, or if the functionality will continue as is. For me, it seems to be the difference between using a public smart gallery and having to upload two of the same pictures to two galleries.

Can someone confirm?

Again, forgive me if I missed it.

Thanks! clap.gif

Jared
    Jared
    My Site
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2010
    JTB-DC wrote: »
    Forgive me if I missed the defining post, but I did sort through the 17 pages of this forum and didn't seem to see a concrete answer.

Whew!

While it seems that one of the major issues is being addressed by SM (manually arranging photos in a smart gallery), I was wondering if someone can definitively say whether or not the issue with the smart gallery settings being inherited from the “parent” gallery was going to also be addressed in the future? Smart galleries are a really nice feature, but the ability to say PW protect the parent making available the originals and a download option, while having a publicly available smart gallery with limited settings would be perfect. There are numerous posts regarding this aspect of smart galleries, but I don’t recall seeing a post from someone at SM stating whether this is something they will work on, or if the functionality will continue as is. For me, it seems to be the difference between using a public smart gallery and having to upload two of the same pictures to two galleries.

Can someone confirm?

Again, forgive me if I missed it.

Thanks!

Jared
    This has not been addressed and it seems pretty baked into the implementation so I doubt Smugmug intends to change it. The largest size available is set by the original upload and everything virtual copy inherits that. You can, however, have some galleries PW protected, some unlisted and some public, all sharing similar images via virtual galleries. So ... they did make that part flexible.

If you want to share originals in one place, but not another, you have to upload multiple copies.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2010
    This has not been addressed and it seems pretty baked into the implementation so I doubt Smugmug intends to change it. The largest size available is set by the original upload and everything virtual copy inherits that. You can, however, have some galleries PW protected, some unlisted and some public, all sharing similar images via virtual galleries. So ... they did make that part flexible.

If you want to share originals in one place, but not another, you have to upload multiple copies.

Yup, this has made smart galleries and collections almost useless to me. I envisioned that I would use virtual galleries to offer originals. My normal galleries limit the size to XL. So when I need to get someone a bunch of originals, I'd create a virtual gallery, up the maximum size, and password protect it. But of course it doesn't work that way. The new batch downloads partially solves the problem, but I'd still like to see flexibility added to smart galleries/collections. I find it a little ridiculous to ever have to upload originals multiple times. It's just so inefficient.

Dave
  • Options
    adamjasonphotoadamjasonphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    just read all 17 pages of this, and I thought I had my head wrapped around most of the details/caveats/gotchas/etc.
    The following isn't a problem for me, but just seems inconsistent with what I have read here so far:

Gallery A: external links ON
    Gallery B: external links OFF
    Smart Gallery (A + B): external links ON

When I am in Gallery B I get (the expected): "The photographer turned off external links for this photo."
    But seems I can link/embed/share images from Gallery B from the smart gallery.

I have no way to verify if others can collect my photos in Gallery B (my understanding was that turning external links OFF would prevent collecting for others), as I only have one account here.

(Hope I'm not stealing any thunder from the new feature release for arranging/sorting - that was AWESOME!)

This may or may not be a bug, but just looking for some clarification - the hierarchy and interactions of settings here are obviously non-trivial - maybe someone could create a matrix (I may try myself) of how certain image settings and gallery settings interact (with collections, smart galleries, etc)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2011
    Text Rules?
    I am wanting to make the process of creating smart gallery rules a little easier for me. I was hoping to be able to use a method similar Smart Collections in Lightroom. In Lightroom one can export and import Collection settings as text files.

Here is a sample:
    s = {
    	id = "79AB5F69-A8EA-407B-AFAB-1EEACD72CC27",
    	internalName = "Chloe Shots",
    	title = "Chloe Shots",
    	type = "LibrarySmartCollection",
    	value = {
    		{
    			criteria = "pick",
    			operation = "!=",
    			value = -1,
    		},
    		{
    			criteria = "keywords",
    			operation = "any",
    			value = "Chloe",
    			value2 = "",
    		},
    		combine = "intersect",
    	},
    	version = 0,
    }

This approach allows one to create rules using a text tool much faster than doing it graphically. I even created a VBA routine to create some year & month grouping. I was hoping to be able to do the same with SmugMug. If not I can import the Smart Collections into the Publish service so I have a work around, it just means more uploads and more storage on SmugMug.

I looked in the Wiki as well and was not able to find anything about doing it through the API either.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2011
    I looked in the Wiki as well and was not able to find anything about doing it through the API either.
    There is a way to collect photos via the API, but the problem I've run across is the back to back multiple calls that it would require, possibly timing out the API.
  • Options
    worldriderworldrider Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2011
    Virtual Galleries In Other Users SM Pro Account?
    I've been reading this thread for an hour and cannot seem to find an answer or workaround to my dilemma.

I want to allow a friend/client and fellow SmugMug Pro user to display entire galleries of a subcategory on my SM Pro account, so that we don't have to go about the process of uploading ALL the photos to both galleries -- better for SM and timesaving for us.

However, while I can choose MANY PHOTOS in my own account, to move virtual copies of photos to another users account requires choosing one photo at a time--unless I'm missing something, which I hope I am. I don't want to spend hours and hours uploading the same photos to his account.

Does anyone know how I can simply display the entire subcategory and associated galleries in it on another users account? I have access to his account and want to make this seamless as possible.

Thanks!