Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    '

And have I got a *funny* photo to share on the theme 'corn is everywhere' (check the sticker lower right corner):

ann

Ann, that's the same plastic that the drinking cups at work are made from. Our plasticware is made of potatoes, I think.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    Oh wow, David. I just made some, and they're really really delicious.

Yah, huh? It's based on Anne's recipe that she based on a Dr. Fuhrman product. There are lots of ways to vary that one, I would think!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Okay just finished Eat For Life. Now we have to figure out a grocery list that covers all the recipes we get to try now (I know I'm not the first one to think of making a list, so if anyone has a spreadsheet they don't mind sharing...) :ivar

Will start on Omnivore's Dilemma tomorrow...
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:
    Okay just finished Eat For Life. Now we have to figure out a grocery list that covers all the recipes we get to try now (I know I'm not the first one to think of making a list, so if anyone has a spreadsheet they don't mind sharing...) :ivar

Will start on Omnivore's Dilemma tomorrow...

It's Eat To Live. There is an Eat For Life, which is why I don't just assume you made a typo. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Ann, that's the same plastic that the drinking cups at work are made from. Our plasticware is made of potatoes, I think.

Reusable or single use?

We have a big Folk Fest here every August. One of the 'environmental impacts' of the event is the tonnes of single use plastic water bottles that are left at the end of the event. Last year, the water sold on site was sold in bottles made from plastic made from corn.

But, I still think the better alternative is something reusable. ne_nau.gif

ann
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    I made Anne's Curried Potatoe and Spinach tonight. Yum. clap.gif Thank You, Anne!

I didn't exactly follow the recipe (I rarely measure) but for my taste I would add more curry and I would probably put bell peppers in (I put bell peppers into everything I eat, so no surprise there).

I have an idea floating in my head for a 'veggie' burger made from mashed beans and mushrooms. I have found several variations on the theme on epicurious, but if anyone already has a recipe they would share, I'd love to hear it.

ann
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Reusable or single use?

Clear, single use, cold liquid.

I don't use 'em. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Reusable or single use?

We have a big Folk Fest here every August. One of the 'environmental impacts' of the event is the tonnes of single use plastic water bottles that are left at the end of the event. Last year, the water sold on site was sold in bottles made from plastic made from corn.

But, I still think the better alternative is something reusable. ne_nau.gif

ann
    It's sickening - this is OLD but http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5279230/

I saw something recently in Nat Geo that made my head spin.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's sickening - this is OLD but http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5279230/

I saw something recently in Nat Geo that made my head spin.

You want an eye-opener, read The World Without Us. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    You want an eye-opener, read The World Without Us. thumb.gif
    Interesting. I just bought this:

51MA8T7B1VL._SS500_.jpg

She speaks very highly of Dr. Fuhrman in the book, I understand.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's Eat To Live. There is an Eat For Life, which is why I don't just assume you made a typo. deal.gif
    Yes, sorry...I had that one years ago 11doh.gif
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I made Anne's Curried Potatoe and Spinach tonight. Yum. clap.gif Thank You, Anne!

I didn't exactly follow the recipe (I rarely measure) but for my taste I would add more curry and I would probably put bell peppers in (I put bell peppers into everything I eat, so no surprise there).

ann

I'm glad you liked it! Our curry powder is pretty strong stuff, so if you use anything "mild", you'd definitely need to add extra to drown out the taste of the spinach. Err... I mean... complement the flavor of the spinach. :D

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I'm glad you liked it! Our curry powder is pretty strong stuff, so if you use anything "mild", you'd definitely need to add extra to drown out the taste of the spinach. Err... I mean... complement the flavor of the spinach. :D

-Anne

I used 2 T Patak's Hot Curry Paste. Our cayenne is probably a bit old. Was going to add a jalapeno but didn't. Then when I wasn't looking, hubby added a T of Sambal as well. Still could have been spicier for me, but then the oldest boy liked it and he does not like curry or really spicey food, so this was good! Anyway, I enjoyed it and will make it (and varieties thereof) again.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Interesting. I just bought this:

She speaks very highly of Dr. Fuhrman in the book, I understand.

Jane Goodall is my hero - have admired her greatly for years and years!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Clues to insulin resistance - the kind of research article that I can sink my teeth into (rolleyes1.gif I am a closet nerd!). Interesting note:
    Most people with insulin resistance go on to develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years, unless they lose 5 to 7 percent of their body weight—approximately 10 to 15 pounds for someone who weighs 200 pounds—by making modest changes in their diet and level of physical activity. But making permanent lifestyle changes is difficult and studies predict that one in three Americans born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their life time. A similar fate awaits most developed nations.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    But making permanent lifestyle changes is difficult and studies predict that one in three Americans born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their life time.
    Hats off to the very inspiring people in this thread who are manning up (womaning?) and doing the difficult. bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hats off to the very inspiring people in this thread who are manning up (womaning?) and doing the difficult. bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I love that line in the Foreword of The China Study by John Robbins, "If you want to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast and then take cholesterol-lowering medication, that's your right."

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

I have an idea floating in my head for a 'veggie' burger made from mashed beans and mushrooms. I have found several variations on the theme on epicurious, but if anyone already has a recipe they would share, I'd love to hear it.

ann

I'm nursing right now, one-handed typing - will post burger recipe later tonight iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    stirfry wrote:
    I'm nursing right now, one-handed typing - will post burger recipe later tonight iloveyou.gif

Stirfry to the rescue!

Thanks!
    ann
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    After eating a very delicious falafel sandwich for dinner at a Greek restaurant tonight, my son announced to me that he's going to start eating vegetarian (my wife and I eat vegan with a few fish exceptions).

When we started eating vegan a year ago, we made a conscious decision not to push the kids into it, but my teenage son has always been willing to eat lots of things and as we started fixing vegan meals for dinner, he just started picking it up on his own. Now, he's decided that he really doesn't want meat any more and he's happy to eat a lot more fruits and vegetables.

This is very cool!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    After eating a very delicious falafel sandwich for dinner at a Greek restaurant tonight, my son announced to me that he's going to start eating vegetarian (my wife and I eat vegan with a few fish exceptions).

When we started eating vegan a year ago, we made a conscious decision not to push the kids into it, but my teenage son has always been willing to eat lots of things and as we started fixing vegan meals for dinner, he just started picking it up on his own. Now, he's decided that he really doesn't want meat any more and he's happy to eat a lot more fruits and vegetables.

This is very cool!

clap.gif

Just being open to try it is huge... because it's not nearly so hard as it looks, and it feels much better than you'd expect. This is great news!

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Nice!! I've got some teen-aged friends at Mountain View High, macho athletic boys on the football team, who told me they're going vegan too.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Best line in the entire "Eat to Live" book
    Page 74, sub-chapter heading:

"Cancer is a Fruit and Vegetable-Deficiency Disease"

For me, this line just sums it all up. The lack of fruits and vegetables is one major reason we have higher odds of getting cancer.

Fuhrman even goes so far as to say that a person who gets lots of fruits and vegetables, yet occasionally has some animal food will live a healthier life than the vegan that gets a high percentage of their calories from nuts and grains and other vegan, but not fruit/vegetable sources. He's not advocating any animal food, just making the point about how a major goal is to get the fruits and vegetables and how that's even more important than zero animal food. And zero animal food without the right fruits and vegetables isn't enough either.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    "Cancer is a Fruit and Vegetable-Deficiency Disease"
    I missed that in the book but after you posted it I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Most people seem to think of cancer as bad luck from getting exposed to PCBs or other toxins sometime in our lves. I'm glad you caught that line.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Finally! Fluffy, whole-grain, vegan pancakes. wings.gif

EDITED: I made these again and they were every bit as fluffy but this time around, they had a much better flavor. So this is now the new and improved recipe!

The recipe:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana]3/4 cup buckwheat flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup rolled oats
    1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
    1 T Flaxseed meal
    1 T baking powder
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    1 TBS orange zest
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 cups water (I added an extra 1/4 c. or so to thin it out further)

Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl until evenly blended. Add liquids and mix as little as possible to make batter. Small lumps are OK, they'll disappear in cooking. Overmixing will make pancakes flat and heavy.

Spoon the batter onto a hot, nonstick griddle. Yields about 12 medium pancakes.
    [/FONT]
    The secrets to a fluffy pancake:
    1) Combine your wet ingredients together first (almond extract, applesauce and water).
    2) When you add wet to dry, just barely stir at all. Enough to get the dry stuff wet, and the floury stuff off the sides of the bowl. That's it.
    3) Make sure the griddle is hot enough. It should sizzle when you add the batter.
    4) When you cook them, flip them when you see that the bubbles are staying open and not filling back in with batter. Don't wait any longer, otherwise they'll be too set up to "spring" when the other side cooks.

Anne's favorite syrup:

Dump frozen strawberries in a bowl, cover with a plate and microwave for 2 minutes. Stop and smoosh the strawberries with a fork. Then microwave several more minutes until it's a bit runny and steaming hot. Pour generously over pancakes. thumb.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Anne:

PANCAKES!!!! :smo wings.giflust

Added. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Finally! Fluffy, whole-grain, vegan pancakes. wings.gif

They're a bit bland (as might be expeceted without added fat or sugar) but it didn't bother me because I drown them in my favorite syrup. I'm looking for ways to jazz them up next time, without ruining the consistency. Maybe orange zest? I was so thrilled with the texture though, that I had to share. :D

The recipe, (adapted from fatfreevegan.com):

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Verdana]1 cup buckwheat flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 T Flaxseed meal
    1 T baking powder
    1 t vanilla
    1 t cinnamon
    1/2 cup applesauce
    2 cups water (I added an extra 1/4 c. or so to thin it out further)

Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl until evenly blended. Add liquids and mix as little as possible to make batter. Small lumps are OK, they'll disappear in cooking. Overmixing will make pancakes flat and heavy.

Spoon the batter onto a hot, nonstick griddle. Yields about 12 medium pancakes.
    [/FONT]
    The secrets to a fluffy pancake:
    1) Combine your wet ingredients together first (vanilla, applesauce and water).
    2) When you add wet to dry, just barely stir at all. Enough to get the dry stuff wet, and the floury stuff off the sides of the bowl. That's it.
    3) Make sure the griddle is hot enough. It should sizzle when you add the batter.
    4) When you cook them, flip them when you see that the bubbles are staying open and not filling back in with batter. Don't wait any longer, otherwise they'll be too set up to "spring" when the other side cooks.

Anne's favorite syrup:

Dump frozen strawberries in a bowl, cover with a plate and microwave for 2 minutes. Stop and smoosh the strawberries with a fork. Then microwave several more minutes until it's a bit runny and steaming hot. Pour generously over pancakes. thumb.gif

-Anne

Gotta find a sub. for the applesauce....I can't find sugar free here ....if you need a bit more sweet...I have been using stevia for over a year now{the white powder[NOW brand seem to dissolve better tqn any sweet leaf brand or any others I have tried] has not health benefits but the dried leaves do...there has been times I just wanted something sweet, as a dibetic these cravings hiot from time to time, so now instead of injuecting more insulin and running off to grab a DOVE ICREAM BAR......I just get a stevia leaf or two and place on my tongue and that sweet craving is gone}, even started buying it dried bulk, a pound last me about 2 months..as it is added to evey cup of hot / iced herbal tea (which I conjure up my self from bulk herbs also) and all smooties.....read about the regions where stevia greows naturally and none of the natives show any signs of ever having diabetes,,,,,a few studies have shown that regular use of stevia can cause the reversa of type 2 diabetes....mine is dropping signifcantly over the past year but my Dr. won't accept that it is the combo of not eating an american diet (eat mostly asian food now...soups and such very very little if any stir fry (pun not intended)..and the fact that my diabetic tea concotion drop my bs signifacntly every day of use.....it has to be the tea as on days I do not use it I have higher bs than I should............but still playing with the amounts of each of the herbs for a great tasting but also beneficial tea...............................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Gotta find a sub. for the applesauce....I can't find sugar free here ....

Oops! Edited my recipe to specify "unsweetened" applesauce, because that's what I used.

I'm surprised you can't find it? We just buy the generic stuff at our local grocery store.

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Dinner tonight
    Dinner tonight took quite a bit more effort than I usually put into meals... but it was (nearly) worth it. This'll go on our regular rotation, but I'll double it every time so I'll have plenty of leftovers to show for it. I'll quadruple the enchilada sauce and freeze half so I only have to make it every other time. :D

So, without further ado... Potato Kale Enchiladas!

The recipe comes from Veganomicon, but it's also posted online by the author with a good photo: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=2062 .

A few notes: I used much less oil, used anaheim peppers that I roasted myself, toasted my own pepitas, used much less salt, omitted the sugar, kept the skins ON my red potatoes, and doubled the water and lime juice. Next time I will whip up the potatoes with some extra water ( I used the potato cooking water) and fold them into the kale, so that the filling is more moist.

To roast the peppers: Cut them in half, lengthwise and remove seeds and stem. Brush with a bit of oil and put face down on a foiled cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 425F until they get dark brown spots on their skins. Put them immediately in a brown paper bag and fold it over. After they cool (~30 min), the skins should peel off easily.

To toast the pepitas: Toss them in a dry saute pan over medium-low heat for 4 minutes or so. Easy-peasy and really yummy!

-Anne
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Oops! Edited my recipe to specify "unsweetened" applesauce, because that's what I used.

I'm surprised you can't find it? We just buy the generic stuff at our local grocery store.

-Anne

I have grocers tell me it won't sell...then I ask have you ever stocked it.....well no.......Wichita is not a great shopping city for anything besides alcoholic beverages...99% of the closed mom and pop groceries and comnvient stores have turned into liquior stores...even the clsoed bookstores have went that way.......for over 20yrs I had agreat health food store to buy all my herbs at and iff she did not have in stock I could order....then one day there was a closed sign, no explanation or anything just gone...now it is a smoke shop.........really sucks

maybe I could just vita mix a couple of apples and add some water and cinnamon............Hmmmmm
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website