Andy/Baldy - feed me

1727374757678»

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    seanmhor wrote: »
    I travel extensively for work,so it can be difficult to keep my eating habits in check, lots of airplane food etc.,

I travel a bunch for work and can say that following a vegan diet can be done while traveling, it just takes a little work. I have filled out all my airline profiles to be vegan. I also pack Clif bars as snacks on flights and in hotels. With a little practice it can be done almost anywhere. Fast food joints are the hardest things to find food at, but I have found that talking with a waitperson/server and explaining the constraints you have on food will help getting the right solution.

My favorite story about that was a coworker planned a dinner with a large client. All of them know I am vegan but they decided to make reservations at Morton's Steakhouse to challenge me on how I said I could find food pretty much at every restaurant that didn't have a drive through. Steamed vegetables, salads, fruit for dessert. No worries. Just talk and ask the server nicely and you can make it happen.

The other thing is when possible bring your own snack food.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • seanmhorseanmhor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2011
    I can see I'm going to have to re-think my whole approach , not such a bad thing, I'll definately add "vegetarian " to my requirements when I fly. I've started experimenting with some fruit and veg in my blender, I have a regular kitchen blender ,and it struggles a bit when the blend starts to thicken up.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    The VitaMix was a night and day difference. Plus it makes a really great frozen drink....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited February 13, 2011
    The VitaMix was a night and day difference. Plus it makes a really great frozen drink....
    If it wasnt so costly I would have one by now, I think I'll have to wait until my regular blender gives up the ghost. I an experiencing some headaches, something I'm not usually prone to having, I hope its just a symptom of change.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    seanmhor wrote: »
    If it wasnt so costly I would have one by now, I think I'll have to wait until my regular blender gives up the ghost. I an experiencing some headaches, something I'm not usually prone to having, I hope its just a symptom of change.

It's well worth it. Keep in mind that you can get them refurbished at reduced cost, and you don't need the kit or anything.

As for the headaches, how's your hunger? I find that beans are an essential part of my diet. They help stabilize your blood sugar and keep me from getting hungry as quickly. While the headaches are probably not a big deal, you are making a major change to your diet and may think about checking in with your doctor. It's certainly a healthy diet, but each of us has our own challenges, medically. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 17, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    It's well worth it. Keep in mind that you can get them refurbished at reduced cost, and you don't need the kit or anything.

As for the headaches, how's your hunger? I find that beans are an essential part of my diet. They help stabilize your blood sugar and keep me from getting hungry as quickly. While the headaches are probably not a big deal, you are making a major change to your diet and may think about checking in with your doctor. It's certainly a healthy diet, but each of us has our own challenges, medically. deal.gif
    The headaches are not the splitting cant think straight kind,but reasonably tolerable,I do find myself feeling hungry, even though I'm eating a bit more regularly than usual,my eating habits are irregular to say the least,. I'm hoping its just phase.