the dgrin suggestion box

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    I was reading through this thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116519) and thought that this may be preventable by using a posting minimum (say 25 posts) or time minimum (14 days?) before you can list items in the flea market. Additionally a commercial-only section or filter may not be a bad idea, as they seem to be becoming more prevalent.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 9, 2009
    I was reading through this thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=116519) and thought that this may be preventable by using a posting minimum (say 25 posts) or time minimum (14 days?) before you can list items in the flea market. Additionally a commercial-only section or filter may not be a bad idea, as they seem to be becoming more prevalent.
    Suggestion appreciated, but we have always preferred to be as hands-off as possible when it comes to the flea market. There is a large community to help advise and educate. The flea market at Dgrin, I hope, will always be a very friendly place for peer-peer trading - never an over-moderated, mandatory post-minimum, pay-premium-service outlet (...like some other forums have become).

Now to be specific, you'll see in that thread that the community instantly picked up on what is potentially a "questionable" sale. No post-minimums needed.
    :D

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 16, 2009
    well
    I don t know if it is the right place ... pretty sur it is not the right times :D

But why not create a forum (or a sub one) dedicated to argentic photography? I don 't find anyone at dgrin. and I think that some people still prefer use argentic (well, it is my case)...

corret me if I'm wrongeek7.gif
    edited January 16, 2009
    respawn wrote:
    I don t know if it is the right place ... pretty sur it is not the right times :D

But why not create a forum (or a sub one) dedicated to argentic photography? I don 't find anyone at dgrin. and I think that some people still prefer use argentic (well, it is my case)...
    Argentic photography?

Have to admit I've never heard that before... but I'm guessing, "argentic" from the base, something to do with "silver", so like, old style silver/metal based photography, so even older than cellulose based film?

Regardless, the forums here are divided by subject matter (people, landscape, etc) rather than by equipment. If you want to share your photos, argentic or digital, people will be happy to discuss them.
    thumb.gif
    Erik

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 16, 2009
    well OK i meant "film" (versus digital)

:D

i said that because I noticed a lot of discussion about camera and so on, but yes it is true that a picture is always a picture :)

(even if some film camera are really very specific as diana, holga and all these lofi stuffs)

(sorry for the english)
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    yep. here's where it goes. let's hear from you ear.gif

I see that PJ is listed under the "People" forum, but how about an area dedicated to photojournalism? I realize there may not currently be enough interest to justify PJ having its' own section, but if it has its' own area, it might increase interest . ne_nau.gif
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Matt518 wrote:
    I see that PJ is listed under the "People" forum, but how about an area dedicated to photojournalism? I realize there may not currently be enough interest to justify PJ having its' own section, but if it has its' own area, it might increase interest . ne_nau.gif

Thanks! We're always talking about how to shuffle things around, and may do it! But there's a lot more in the works at the moment. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks! We're always talking about how to shuffle things around, and may do it! But there's a lot more in the works at the moment. mwink.gif

Thanks for the timely response, David. I suggested it because I believe there are areas that are specific to PJ's - press info, desktop publishing for writing articles, etc that can't really be addresed in other areas of the site (well, they could but they would be scattered everywhere). Having all the available info in one area would definitely streamline access to it.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    For consideration in the Suggestion Box
    What would be the possibility of beginning a forum where individuals might be able to connect with like-minded photographers if traveling to their region, State, city, country, etc.

I travel extensively both domestically as well as internationally, and it would be great to be able to ask for local intel, or to actually meet with photo groups/clubs, etc. for some insight into local "not to miss" spots to shoot or information on best times, locations, destinations, venues, etc. where I might find some interesting photo opps.

It might also be a forum where interested parties might be able to "hire" a local guide who is knowledgable with the "local" photographic venues and who would be willing to exchange information, provide directions, etc.

Often it is difficult to obtain good, usable, local intel when visiting new locations, and especially when time may be limited. It would be nice to be able to "link up" with a local photographer who would be interested in sharing their local knowledge for free or even on a "for hire" basis.

Just a suggestion!

Lastly, is there a forum that might list, by State or country, local photo groups or clubs, that would be open to contact by visitors to thier geographic area?

Many thanks!!
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    The Location, Location, Location forum (link below) probably serves that purpose - though it is not laid out as specifically as you suggest.

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Thanks....Location, Location, Location forum might do the trick. I'll check it out further!!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 5, 2009
    El Gato wrote:
    What would be the possibility of beginning a forum where individuals might be able to connect with like-minded photographers if traveling to their region, State, city, country, etc.

I travel extensively both domestically as well as internationally, and it would be great to be able to ask for local intel, or to actually meet with photo groups/clubs, etc. for some insight into local "not to miss" spots to shoot or information on best times, locations, destinations, venues, etc. where I might find some interesting photo opps.

It might also be a forum where interested parties might be able to "hire" a local guide who is knowledgable with the "local" photographic venues and who would be willing to exchange information, provide directions, etc.

Often it is difficult to obtain good, usable, local intel when visiting new locations, and especially when time may be limited. It would be nice to be able to "link up" with a local photographer who would be interested in sharing their local knowledge for free or even on a "for hire" basis.

Just a suggestion!

Lastly, is there a forum that might list, by State or country, local photo groups or clubs, that would be open to contact by visitors to thier geographic area?

Many thanks!!

El Gato:

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

Locations is the forum you seek for regional information and get-togethers thumb.gif
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    If ya'll are going to create the For Hire subforum then why not go ahead create a Vendor subforum to combine all the vendor threads?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 15, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    If ya'll are going to create the For Hire subforum then why not go ahead create a Vendor subforum to combine all the vendor threads?
    We've been discussing it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 15, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    We've been discussing it.
    thumb.gif
  • alvinwitcheralvinwitcher Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2009
    Suggest add sub forum for Pano only.
    www.flickr.com/alvinwitcher
    www.alvinwitcher.com
    Nikon D60 18-55mm, Tamron 70-300mm, SB-600
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Sure wish there was a toggle to make a thread unread. If there is I haven't
    found it. Sure would save on memory to know what to relook at:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 26, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Sure wish there was a toggle to make a thread unread. If there is I haven't
    found it. Sure would save on memory to know what to relook at:D
    Subscribe to it?
    edited February 26, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Subscribe to it?

Well, I should be a bit more explanatory:

Go to You! - Subscribed Threads section and click Edit folders. Create a new folder (or two or three).

List all your subscriptions and at the right side check your specific threads, At the bottom choose "Move to Folder". Then select the special folder you created.

All those special threads are now located in one tidy space on DGrin.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,005 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, I should be a bit more explanatory:

Go to You! - Subscribed Threads section and click Edit folders. Create a new folder (or two or three).

List all your subscriptions and at the right side check your specific threads, At the bottom choose "Move to Folder". Then select the special folder you created.

All those special threads are now located in one tidy space on DGrin.
    I don't need that, not waiting for a reply but want to visit later and maybe
    answer. I could view in another browser app but it's a pain jumping back
    and forth. I really need a way to flag the thread so I know which ones to
    revisit.

I run down thru ALL the unread threads and try to answer the easy ones first
    skipping the harder ones.

Plus I would have thousands of subscribed threads. :D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • StumpyStumpy Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I have a slide show in my Bio page (home page). I just changed the background color of my site to light gray. When the slide show loads, a black box appears on the page (preceding the first image) for a second or two - looks like the background of the slide show window. It would be great if I had access to this color to change it to match the background of the page it plays on.

Steven Keller
    www.kellerphotographic.com
    edited March 2, 2009
    Steven, David,
    This is the Dgrin suggestion box, as in, requests for this forum - what you have both requested are features or suggestions for Smugmug. This thread is for us forum moderators to make the community better. For Smugmug issues, please visit the Smugmug Support forum, where you can either start a new thread, or add to the Smugmug Feature Request thread.

If you'd like, I can just move your posts into the above thread.

thanks,
    Erik

edited March 2, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Steven, David,
    This is the Dgrin suggestion box...
    Sorry - brain f*rt yesterday. I'll take care of it....
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2009
    I would love to see another forum added to the shots section called "Architecture" or "Structure" or something like that. My biggest passion in photography is photographing structures. Often I don't feel like there is a place that they fit in the threads.
    edited April 5, 2009
    I would love to see another forum added to the shots section called "Architecture" or "Structure" or something like that. My biggest passion in photography is photographing structures. Often I don't feel like there is a place that they fit in the threads.

Thanks, Jonathan! Noted. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited July 19, 2009
    I've moved the couple of comments about closing The Whipping Post that ended up here over to the thread that I've made just for that purpose, here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    A portion of a post I made in the whipping post closing thread. Posting here because I received a PM stating much of this should go here.

The following are MY PERSONAL OPIONIONS on this change and some of the posts in this thread.

While I would like to see some of the categories re-named or at least clarified I do not want to see a ton of specialized sub categories. It only adds to the moderation problem and creates cliquish groups. Keep it simple.

Gallery type area:
    Landscape-
    Wildlife-
    People- Category for Weddings makes sense but no need to create additional sub categories for kids/candids/seniors etc.. It helps everyone if they see all types of people photography.
    Macro-
    Sports-
    Automotive- (currently not existent-often dumped into sports or other depending on if it is racing, photo shoot, art, or old and rusty)
    Street- (PJ/Architecture)
    Journeys-

Another change that I have suggested before is to clean up is the Wide Angle. Big Picture and Mind your own business often cover the very same things. Find better names for these to clearly identify what those two categories are to really include.

Whipping post or something similar can easily be added to Technique or Photo Finsh. A true critique not only covers the basics of photography and the 'rules' but also the post process, technique, sizing, etc.

For me: Post Process- Critiques- and Aspects of Business all fall in line together.

Location location location- should include the dgrin shoot, any of the pro's shoots, as well as individuals seeking location help or posting an upcoming shoot-

My suggestion:

Location, Location, Location:
    Dgrin Shootouts-(sub cat) Annual shoots- Announcement- Preparing threads- and photos/threads of the shootout.
    House Pro Workshops- (sub cats) Marc-BD- etc.
    What to shoot? - (sub cat) I am traveling to .... what should I shoot?
    Shoot with me- (sub cat) I am shooting ...... Who wants to shoot with me?

Hopefully the powers that be will take all of the comments and suggestions, evaluate the core points and work towards making improvements that move dgrin in a forward motion but still in a direction that separates itself from the other 100 photo forums out there.

A final thought:

Keep and enhance what makes you different and special, rather than copying the sites people are leaving to come here.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    A portion of a post I made in the whipping post closing thread. Posting here because I received a PM stating much of this should go here.
    Awesome, thanks! This way, it won't get 'lost' thumb.gif
  • JoserJoser Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Member listing
    Andy wrote:
    Do we have a place/page where we can see a listing of names or web adress of all Smugmug members? I would also like to know why we dont have some type of ID/prove that we are members of smugmug. Thank youheadscratch.gif
    http://www.joserojasphoto.com
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Joser wrote:
    Do we have a place/page where we can see a listing of names or web adress of all Smugmug members? I would also like to know why we dont have some type of ID/prove that we are members of smugmug. Thank youheadscratch.gif
    http://www.joserojasphoto.com

It's right up above.. click on "Shooters" in the gray nav bar..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..