the dgrin suggestion box

145791012

Comments

  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainAdministrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,665 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
    Joser wrote:
    Do we have a place/page where we can see a listing of names or web adress of all Smugmug members? I would also like to know why we dont have some type of ID/prove that we are members of smugmug. Thank youheadscratch.gif
    http://www.joserojasphoto.com

    Dgrin is open to everybody. You do not have to be a SmugMug customer.
  • JoserJoser Beginner Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Shooters List
    Richard wrote:
    Dgrin is open to everybody. You do not have to be a SmugMug customer.
    Thank you for your reply. I love DGrin. But what I really want to know is why Smugmug does not list it's members?. headscratch.gif
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,720 moderator
    edited July 27, 2009
    Joser wrote:
    Thank you for your reply. I love DGrin. But what I really want to know is why Smugmug does not list it's members?. headscratch.gif

    You can ask directly by sending e-mail to [email protected].
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JoserJoser Beginner Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    shooters List
    ian408 wrote:
    You can ask directly by sending e-mail to [email protected].
    When i searched my name of use my website i get the following message. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
    http://www.joserojasphoto.com
  • AngeloAngelo Turning frowns upsidedown Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 27, 2009
    Joser wrote:
    Thank you for your reply. I love DGrin. But what I really want to know is why Smugmug does not list it's members?. headscratch.gif

    this is interesting if not curious.

    smugmug is a web hosting service with subscribers (who may not want to be "listed").

    Would your question not be similar to someone asking: "Why doesn't Yahoo list all it's members"? or Google, or AOL, or Flicker?

    What benefit would such a listing provide and to whom?
  • JoserJoser Beginner Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    this is interesting if not curious.

    smugmug is a web hosting service with subscribers (who may not want to be "listed").

    Would your question not be similar to someone asking: "Why doesn't Yahoo list all it's members"? or Google, or AOL, or Flicker?

    What benefit would such a listing provide and to whom?
    Very interesting, Great point, I think some of us want to sale pictures. Why would someone be totally unlisted? can a client go into smugmug type in their favorite shooter and view the great great work they have listed. In comparison to a stock image website most shooters are listed.bowdown.gifhttp://www.joserojasphoto.com
  • schmooschmoo word nerd Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Joser wrote:
    Very interesting, Great point, I think some of us want to sale pictures. Why would someone be totally unlisted? can a client go into smugmug type in their favorite shooter and view the great great work they have listed. In comparison to a stock image website most shooters are listed.bowdown.gifhttp://www.joserojasphoto.com

    Well if you're looking for findability for your own site there are ways you can do that. A lot of SmugMuggers just share family photos with their relatives, so they may not want to be found. We offer both: having great SEO as well as complete privacy. Here's our wiki page on maximizing findability, which may be great if you're looking to sell stock photos:

    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability

    But you can check out random (and sometimes not so random) sites by clicking on the "Browse" link in the SmugMug footer. That will bring up a bunch of different areas of the site and the most popular photos in particular.
  • gvfgvf Major grins Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    New Forum?
    Any thoughts about having a "Documentary" section of photos on Dgrin?
  • AldazarAldazar Big grins Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Not sure if this is possible, but you know how if you want to embed a photo, you just click the little picture button above the edit box and paste a URL in? It'd be cool if it was just that simple to embed pictures with EXIF data included. Right now I think you have to add the tags and the EXIF URL manually, which to me is somewhat troublesome. It would be cool if there was a cleaner way to embed picture, EXIF, and even link to gallery in one swoop.

    Thanks!
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,720 moderator
    edited August 4, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    Not sure if this is possible, but you know how if you want to embed a photo, you just click the little picture button above the edit box and paste a URL in? It'd be cool if it was just that simple to embed pictures with EXIF data included. Right now I think you have to add the tags and the EXIF URL manually, which to me is somewhat troublesome. It would be cool if there was a cleaner way to embed picture, EXIF, and even link to gallery in one swoop.

    Thanks!

    There are browser plugins to help with this. You can google to find one that fits your needs.

    As for a plug in for the forum software? I don't see one but I'll look around.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ElaineElaine Major grins Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    Not sure if this is possible, but you know how if you want to embed a photo, you just click the little picture button above the edit box and paste a URL in? It'd be cool if it was just that simple to embed pictures with EXIF data included. Right now I think you have to add the tags and the EXIF URL manually, which to me is somewhat troublesome. It would be cool if there was a cleaner way to embed picture, EXIF, and even link to gallery in one swoop.

    Thanks!

    It's not one swoop, but after you've linked your photo using the little picture button, you can copy your EXIF link, click on your embedded photo, click the "insert link" button and paste in your EXIF link there. Still some clicking, but no adding tags manually.
    Elaine

    Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

    Elaine Heasley Photography
  • AldazarAldazar Big grins Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Oh ok, cool, that's definitely a bit easier! There's no faster way to get the EXIF link than to go to the photo, click photo info, click the link in the "pop up", and copy the URL, right?

    Sorry if I sound lazy, I just prefer efficiency...
    Elaine wrote:
    It's not one swoop, but after you've linked your photo using the little picture button, you can copy your EXIF link, click on your embedded photo, click the "insert link" button and paste in your EXIF link there. Still some clicking, but no adding tags manually.
  • ElaineElaine Major grins Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    Oh ok, cool, that's definitely a bit easier! There's no faster way to get the EXIF link than to go to the photo, click photo info, click the link in the "pop up", and copy the URL, right?

    Sorry if I sound lazy, I just prefer efficiency...

    That's the only way I know how to do it. thumb.gif
    Elaine

    Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

    Elaine Heasley Photography
  • DavidTODavidTO Mod Emeritus Thousand Oaks, CARegistered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    Oh ok, cool, that's definitely a bit easier! There's no faster way to get the EXIF link than to go to the photo, click photo info, click the link in the "pop up", and copy the URL, right?

    Sorry if I sound lazy, I just prefer efficiency...


    You could maybe see if SamirD could whip something up.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • kds1kds1 Major grins Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    Off topic forum
    Is there anyplace in the forum for off-topic chat? Like just a place to chat and get to know each other and not necessarily photography centered?

    Kara
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandAdministrators Posts: 12,967 moderator
    edited August 19, 2009
    kds1 wrote:
    Is there anyplace in the forum for off-topic chat? Like just a place to chat and get to know each other and not necessarily photography centered?

    Kara

    While we don't have a member's lounge forum, we do have The Big Picture forum, which is where stuff goes when we can't classify it into one of our other forums.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ShudderzShudderz Major grins Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    For Hire suggestions.....
    I really like the addition of the For Hire Sub-Category. What about making it a category of it's own ...Have sub-categories for:

    -For Hire

    -Want to Hire

    -Directory (a sub category that can contain threads/stickies for each of the states, or for that matter some of the other countries that are represented on here) It would give the users a place to go and be able to search/look for someone in their area easier than they can do now..... then inclusion is voluntary to those that post and will keep those that choose not to be included out of the search. But would give those that do choose to be included a place to post links to their portfolios/websites.

    I know something similar was suggested and they were given the response of Location, Location, Location....but I don't think that category adequately covers the directory/searchable aspect of the suggestion/request.

    Just a thought......
    Thanks!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,720 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Shudderz wrote:
    I really like the addition of the For Hire Sub-Category. What about making it a category of it's own ...Have sub-categories for:

    -For Hire

    -Want to Hire

    -Directory (a sub category that can contain threads/stickies for each of the states, or for that matter some of the other countries that are represented on here) It would give the users a place to go and be able to search/look for someone in their area easier than they can do now..... then inclusion is voluntary to those that post and will keep those that choose not to be included out of the search. But would give those that do choose to be included a place to post links to their portfolios/websites.

    I know something similar was suggested and they were given the response of Location, Location, Location....but I don't think that category adequately covers the directory/searchable aspect of the suggestion/request.

    Just a thought......
    Thanks!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainAdministrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,665 moderator
    edited September 30, 2009
    It would be nice if clicking on a thumb in the Dgrin banner took you to the gallery with the thumb you clicked on already featured on the page. I often want to see a particular pic and find out who shot it, but the way it works now is a treasure hunt.
  • AndyAndy Bicameral New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 50,154 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    It would be nice if clicking on a thumb in the Dgrin banner took you to the gallery with the thumb you clicked on already featured on the page. I often want to see a particular pic and find out who shot it, but the way it works now is a treasure hunt.
    Sure it would but we don't have code that does that, sorry.
  • TJDIVTJDIV In the U.P. Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Regions / Groups?
    Has it ever been discussed?

    Regional Category, Group Forums?
    Just wondering.

    Thx.
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

    9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandAdministrators Posts: 12,967 moderator
    edited September 30, 2009
    TJDIV wrote:
    Has it ever been discussed?
    Regional Category, Group Forums?
    Just wondering.
    Thx.

    We do have threads for regions when dgrinners want to get together for shooting, like this one for example, and we have a Locations forum when someone wants information from the locals about what and where to shoot.

    Other suggestions? ear.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • TJDIVTJDIV In the U.P. Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    That's the concept.

    My angle was for maybe a bit more structure but I guess it works, especially if users know how to use the search function :)

    The only thing I've seen that makes it cleaner would be to maybe sub-forum the regions, set up mods, etc but that might not be necessary ne_nau.gif

    Just wondering. There are several groups that get together in the U.P. and I'm researching which ones have the energy I'm after.

    Thanks,
    Tom
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

    9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • AngeloAngelo Turning frowns upsidedown Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 1, 2009
    TJDIV wrote:
    ... The only thing I've seen that makes it cleaner would be to maybe sub-forum the regions...

    well we kinda do


    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=72789


    you might want to make sure you add your location in your avatar so people are finding you

    (check my signature for instructions)
  • TJDIVTJDIV In the U.P. Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    After looking at your locations thread I think that works fine.
    For novice users it may be a bit cumbersome to locate & understand ( I know, I know...it's easy for us :D )
    I guess the traffic speaks for itself. I'm the last person to post in our region and I forgot about the threadheadscratch.gif

    I think sub-forum regions would make it way more user friendly and generate a lot more traffic for Dgrin ( & traffic is good )

    Thanks the response. :cool
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

    9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoRegistered Users Posts: 9,970 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Flag messages
    I read a lot of threads and would like to help but time constraints or
    complicity says see ya later. I see no way to check as unread or flag so I
    can go back later and perhaps help. Subscribing to each would be a
    nightmare. Any suggestion?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,720 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    I read a lot of threads and would like to help but time constraints or
    complicity says see ya later. I see no way to check as unread or flag so I
    can go back later and perhaps help. Subscribing to each would be a
    nightmare. Any suggestion?
    At the moment, subscribing is the only option. It's easy enough to subscribe from the thread tools menu.

    Any new posts to the thread would bump it up to the top though if it remains inactive, it will fall off the first page.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JimWJimW Major grins Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Dgrin Suggestion

    My suggestion is to take the Portrait in Pictures (Photographers discussing Photographers) sticky thread out of the Mind Your Business section, where nobody pays any attention to it, and move it somewhere else where it might have a fighting chance. Perhaps it belongs in The Big Picture, or maybe even Street, since that section may be closest in feel to the old B&W Masters.

    If we move it to a better place and beef up the roster of Masters available for reading, maybe it will become more popular. I’ll do my part. I like to research the Masters and have recently sent another write-up to Angelo for posting. As it is, the thread is lost in the Business section and there is no interest.

    Thanks for considering this suggestion.
    Jim

    I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.


    http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • schmooschmoo word nerd Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    JimW wrote:
    Dgrin Suggestion

    My suggestion is to take the Portrait in Pictures (Photographers discussing Photographers) sticky thread out of the Mind Your Business section, where nobody pays any attention to it, and move it somewhere else where it might have a fighting chance. Perhaps it belongs in The Big Picture, or maybe even Street, since that section may be closest in feel to the old B&W Masters.

    If we move it to a better place and beef up the roster of Masters available for reading, maybe it will become more popular. I’ll do my part. I like to research the Masters and have recently sent another write-up to Angelo for posting. As it is, the thread is lost in the Business section and there is no interest.

    Thanks for considering this suggestion.
    Jim

    And consider it we will! Thanks so much for thinking this through, Jim. thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo word nerd Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    And consider it we will! Thanks so much for thinking this through, Jim. thumb.gif

    Here we go!
Sign In or Register to comment.