Options

>>> DSS Challenge #4 (Photo Filters): Feedback Thread

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited August 2, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
As soon as the judges make their decisions, I will submit their critique in this thread, and post the voting poll at the same time. In the meantime, post your own personal feedback and favorites here.

The challenge theme was: Photo Filters
Your judges were:

KurtPreston (2.3 winner :D)
Greensquared

KurtPreston's Top Ten and Feedback:

It was extremely tough to pick just 10 out of all the entries ... really fantastic work from all the entrants!

#13 Vintage View - The anitque, aged look really fits the subject well, and the added texture and color appeals to my love of history. The composition is very good as is the light.

#17 Filter Math - Very strong composition and the toning is superb! The slight blurriness around the belly button detracts a small bit, and I cannot tell what she is holding exactly, although it was very strategically placed :) I very much like how you used lighting to highlight the areas you wanted us to focus on.

#20 Wholeheartedness - I absolutely love the aura of mystique, the use of form and colors really stand out in this. Composition is excellent.

#29 Toroweap Vanishing Point Grand Canyon - Everything about this appeals to me, from the composition to the light and warm colors.

#32 Along the Battle Road - Beautiful scene, well composed. The play of light and shadow, as well as the HDR like quality without the haloing, is what really attracts me to this.

#36 Field of Dreams - I fell in love with this as soon as I first saw it. The composition is truly outstanding. The interaction of the subject with the background environment is classic and well executed. The solar flare was the crowning touch :)

#40 Revolution - I could just stare at this for hours enjoying the colors and the subtle detail. The aspect ratio was well chosen and the only slight detraction is that the swirl of light coming from the kaleidescope in the southwest quadrant is possibly just a tiny bit too overpowering in relation to the subject itself.

#41 Polarizing Wave - Outstanding composition, and this is another one I can just be content to stare at and soak in the light and colors.

#61 Photographer Friends - Beautiful studio work! The placement and posing of the models is top notch as is the lighting. I am completely entranced with this one as well.

#57 Its all just a Fantasy - This is a very nice example of IR photography, well composed and interesting light. I like how my eyes start at the right in the shade of the trees and then are pulled to the building. Beautifully detailed!

My Top Ten and Feedback:

#13 - richtersl - Vintage View
Completely AWESOME. This one totally floored me. The combination of filters worked exquisitely to create a masterpiece. I'd print it up huge, frame it and hang it.

#16 - fashiznitsngrins - Still Waters
Splendid IR shot and the pp filter compliments the serene feel wonderfully. The smoothness in the water really makes this image for me.

#20 - jko - wholeheartedness
I love the sensuality of this and the colors in the background totally make it for me. Very nice.

#24 - The Curious Camel - Orange colored glasses...
I almost overlooked this image, due to the centered horizon, however, when I looked at the original image, your filter modifications blew me away. It would never have occured to me that such dramatic results could be achieved with a filter. Very well done.

#29 - AaronNelson - Toroweap Vanishing Point Grand Canyon
Despite the centeredness of both the horizon and the tree, this one is totally stunning. I love the filter choices, not over the top, but totally adding to the feel. Excellent stuff!

#32 - NikonsandVstroms - Along the Battle Road
The choice of filter here worked beautifully to give this image an almost painterly quality. Very nice subject, wonderful composition and completely complimentary pp choices.

#36 - CookieS - Field of Dreams
The whole image is filled with dreamy touches. It makes me think of Calgon ads, knights in shining armour and unicorns. Very nice.

#40 - sherstone - revolution
I am amazed to see what you did with the original image to achieve these results. I have to say, that I loved the simplicity of the original image, but the colors and the effect of the transformation are mesmerizing.

#55 - SciurusNiger - State of the Nation
Beautiful. The filters used just totally help push the message of this image further. Very, very nice.

#57 - KevXman - It's All Just A Fantasy
Very nice use of the IR filter. Perfect, dreamy quality and very nice composition.
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 28, 2008
    Great work everyone!
    As soon as the judges make their decisions, I will submit their critique in this thread, and post the voting poll at the same time. In the meantime, post your own personal feedback and favorites here.

The challenge theme was: Photo Filters
    Your judges were:

KurtPreston (2.3 winner :D)
    Greensquared

There are lots of wonderful entries. I think everyone did a super job...but my favs are..(in no particular order)....
    13...Ritchers~Vintage View...I like the vintage painted look and the tonal quaility.
    16...fashiznitngrins~still waters....very cool filter and image!
    19...visualXspressions~rodeo clown....very bright and cheery
    28...Jwill~Golden Voyage....extremely creative use of plastic wrap and honey!
    31..satch~evening harvest...you always blow me away with your shots. Not exactly sure what filter you used...but love the image!
    45...swintonphoto~Season's fall....very nice effect!
    53...flyinggina~Ecapsulated....ooooo...ahhhhh!thumb.gif Very lovely!
    55...sciurusniger~ state of the nation...very nicely presented. The filters were perfect for this image.
    59...rocketman~seeing stars....you pulled off a wonderful shot and editing with this filter. I was wondering if you could make it work and you did great! Great job on removing yourself from the reflection!wings.gif
    61...rhommel~photo friends....thumb.gif Very effective effect!

It will be interesting to see the judges breakdowns of all the entries!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    My favorites from 2.4 (thank God I'm not a judge on this)

340193111_haZtN-XL.jpg
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Wrong EXIF
    My image, not my best, was disqualified for the EXIF info showing a wrong date. It was a new camera (sony - compact) and I hadn't setup the data and time properly. Just wanted to share this as a word of warning to all of you getting new cameras.

As Nik said there are a lot of good photos so I wasn't going to get anywhere with this round - but am a DGRIN junkie and needed to submit something - even though I was on my annual vaction :-)

Cheers/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Thank you, Nik, for including me in your favorites! I'm honored. :D

Every one of them are wonderful images, and I too am glad to not be a judge for this one.

Wow.

pemmett, I'm sorry about the unfortunate instance in your entry and appreciate the heads up.
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I thought everyones photos were great and like Nikolai I think I'm glad I'm not a judge. bowdown.gif Here are my favorites from challenge 2.4 in no order:

340228522_7JVXc-L-1.jpg

And a special thanks to Nikolai for helping me learn how to maka a mosaic :D
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008

And a special thanks to Nikolai for helping me learn how to maka a mosaic :D

Yeah I wish I knew how to do that. Would be much simpler.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Yeah I wish I knew how to do that. Would be much simpler.

Just create a new document and then copy the photos into individual layers, resize them, arrange them and then save it out as a jpeg.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    excellent entries! congrats everyone!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    There are lots of wonderful entries. I think everyone did a super job...but my favs are..(in no particular order)....
    13...Ritchers~Vintage View...I like the vintage painted look and the tonal quaility.
    Nikolai wrote:
    My favorites from 2.4 (thank God I 'm not a judge on this)

WOW! Thank you!!! What a lovely thing to wake up to!! :D

I'm also glad I'm not a judge. Good luck you, Emily and Kurt! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Wow -- can't believe no one's posted anything to this thread over the past 4 hours or so. headscratch.gif

Attached are the photos that stood out for me.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    I loved this theme! So many talented photogs - these were my favorites.

340544716_RDQTa-L.jpg
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I loved this theme! So many talented photogs - these were my favorites.
    THANKS VELVT! I think from now on we should be the Liquify Twins.:D
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    THANKS VELVT! I think from now on we should be the Liquify Twins.:D

lol3.gif

You are much better than I. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    You are much better than I.
    Awww. Thanks. Does that mean I can be the one that turns into animals???:D
    Personally, I bowdown.gif to Shatch... he's all stealth with his stuff and BLAMO! instant awesome overnight. It looks like there's a texture filter of some sort and a saturation boost in there.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Awww. Thanks. Does that mean I can be the one that turns into animals???:D
    Personally, I bowdown.gif to Shatch... he's all stealth with his stuff and BLAMO! instant awesome overnight. It looks like there's a texture filter of some sort and a saturation boost in there.

I hate Shatch. lol3.gif

He kicks bootay. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    JAG wrote:

19...visualXspressions~rodeo clown....very bright and cheery

It will be interesting to see the judges breakdowns of all the entries!

Thanks for the props... So many outstanding images this round...
    :jawdropSome really great creativity!
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Wow -- can't believe no one's posted anything to this thread over the past 4 hours or so. headscratch.gif

Attached are the photos that stood out for me.

It is nice to be in peoples stand out list... Thanks Linda, I think your shot is a shoe in! the treatment really fits the old bridge...

Winston
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    I thought they already picked a winner??? ne_nau.gif Davev is judging the new pastel vs primary competition??????????????
  • Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I thought they already picked a winner??? ne_nau.gif Davev is judging the new pastel vs primary competition??????????????

really? congrats Davev!!
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    rhommel wrote:
    really? congrats Davev!!
    He's judging the next round that means he won, right? headscratch.gif I don't want to start rumors but there's no official "winner" post.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    rhommel wrote:
    really? congrats Davev!!

Easy folks, I'm not the winner of anything.

There is some kind of lull for this challenge, so Emily asked if I would help out and judge this round.

So, no one has won yet, I don't even think the voting thread up yet.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    New Rules:
    Due to the overlap, winners of each round will be judging the following round (for example, the winner of round 5 will judge round 7
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 28, 2008
    Rumor mill! lol3.gif

As Dave said: easy folks! We would never pick a winner and not announce it, or at least have a vote. Seriously?!?

Velvt, thanks for pointing out the rules change - it is because we have eliminated the "in-between" week, therefore we need a lag. Davev was kind enough to agree to help out this round as we phase in the new rule/format.

As you were...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

Velvt, thanks for pointing out the rules change - it is because we have eliminated the "in-between" week, therefore we need a lag. Davev was kind enough to agree to help out this round as we phase in the new rule/format.

As you were...

thumb.gif

I just happen to remember that one well because I had to think about it for a bit for it to sink in. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Rumor mill!
    Velvt, thanks for pointing out the rules change - it is because we have eliminated the "in-between" week, therefore we need a lag.
    As you were...
    WhoopS! Sorry!!! I'll go back to making fettucini now like I was! :mlane
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    my top five.

(bowdown.gif thank you to those that included my photograph in their fav list!)

340816218_tNVY3-L-0.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    OK all, the judges top picks and feedback are now posted at the beginning of this thread. :D

Bravo everyone!!! I am SUPER impressed! clap.gif

I'll be posting my feedback on the remaining entries very soon.
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    NOW GO VOTE!
    Emily

• Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    I just wanted to thank everyone who entered for making this such an extremely hard round to judge thumb.gif
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Great captures!!
    It was hard to narrow down the favorites but here's what I finally settled on. Great job to all!!!!! thumb.gifclap

340909940_fCMnQ-L.jpg