Options

>>> DSS Challenge #4 (Photo Filters): Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    DGrin Photo Challenge #2.4
    I was thinking of entering this contest and had it in my mind that we were to use filters that were actually on the camera not only from Photoshop. Hence I did not enter, bummer as I could have taken a photo and added all sorts of post production filters.
    I guess I will have to read the rules and read between the lines the next time.deal.gifne_nau.gif

Dean:

As soon as the judges make their decisions, I will submit their critique in this thread, and post the voting poll at the same time. In the meantime, post your own personal feedback and favorites here.

The challenge theme was: Photo Filters
    Your judges were:

KurtPreston (2.3 winner :D)
    Greensquared

KurtPreston's Top Ten and Feedback:

It was extremely tough to pick just 10 out of all the entries ... really fantastic work from all the entrants!

#13 Vintage View - The anitque, aged look really fits the subject well, and the added texture and color appeals to my love of history. The composition is very good as is the light.

#17 Filter Math - Very strong composition and the toning is superb! The slight blurriness around the belly button detracts a small bit, and I cannot tell what she is holding exactly, although it was very strategically placed :) I very much like how you used lighting to highlight the areas you wanted us to focus on.

#20 Wholeheartedness - I absolutely love the aura of mystique, the use of form and colors really stand out in this. Composition is excellent.

#29 Toroweap Vanishing Point Grand Canyon - Everything about this appeals to me, from the composition to the light and warm colors.

#32 Along the Battle Road - Beautiful scene, well composed. The play of light and shadow, as well as the HDR like quality without the haloing, is what really attracts me to this.

#36 Field of Dreams - I fell in love with this as soon as I first saw it. The composition is truly outstanding. The interaction of the subject with the background environment is classic and well executed. The solar flare was the crowning touch :)

#40 Revolution - I could just stare at this for hours enjoying the colors and the subtle detail. The aspect ratio was well chosen and the only slight detraction is that the swirl of light coming from the kaleidescope in the southwest quadrant is possibly just a tiny bit too overpowering in relation to the subject itself.

#41 Polarizing Wave - Outstanding composition, and this is another one I can just be content to stare at and soak in the light and colors.

#61 Photographer Friends - Beautiful studio work! The placement and posing of the models is top notch as is the lighting. I am completely entranced with this one as well.

#57 Its all just a Fantasy - This is a very nice example of IR photography, well composed and interesting light. I like how my eyes start at the right in the shade of the trees and then are pulled to the building. Beautifully detailed!

My Top Ten and Feedback:

#13 - richtersl - Vintage View
    Completely AWESOME. This one totally floored me. The combination of filters worked exquisitely to create a masterpiece. I'd print it up huge, frame it and hang it.

#16 - fashiznitsngrins - Still Waters
    Splendid IR shot and the pp filter compliments the serene feel wonderfully. The smoothness in the water really makes this image for me.

#20 - jko - wholeheartedness
    I love the sensuality of this and the colors in the background totally make it for me. Very nice.

#24 - The Curious Camel - Orange colored glasses...
    I almost overlooked this image, due to the centered horizon, however, when I looked at the original image, your filter modifications blew me away. It would never have occured to me that such dramatic results could be achieved with a filter. Very well done.

#29 - AaronNelson - Toroweap Vanishing Point Grand Canyon
    Despite the centeredness of both the horizon and the tree, this one is totally stunning. I love the filter choices, not over the top, but totally adding to the feel. Excellent stuff!

#32 - NikonsandVstroms - Along the Battle Road
    The choice of filter here worked beautifully to give this image an almost painterly quality. Very nice subject, wonderful composition and completely complimentary pp choices.

#36 - CookieS - Field of Dreams
    The whole image is filled with dreamy touches. It makes me think of Calgon ads, knights in shining armour and unicorns. Very nice.

#40 - sherstone - revolution
    I am amazed to see what you did with the original image to achieve these results. I have to say, that I loved the simplicity of the original image, but the colors and the effect of the transformation are mesmerizing.

#55 - SciurusNiger - State of the Nation
    Beautiful. The filters used just totally help push the message of this image further. Very, very nice.

#57 - KevXman - It's All Just A Fantasy
    Very nice use of the IR filter. Perfect, dreamy quality and very nice composition.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Here's my own non-entry.
    Emily, you're GOOD! thumb.gifbowdown.gif Definitely would be my top ten... deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Emily, you're GOOD! thumb.gifbowdown.gif Definitely would be my top ten... deal.gif

Thanks Nik!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    like your shot there big Gsq'd

whats the blue thing above the bushes? pole?...maybe swipe it out?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    like your shot there big Gsq'd

whats the blue thing above the bushes? pole?...maybe swipe it out?

Yeah, I actually just noticed that when I posted it. I think it's a tree, but it does need to go. And the white spot in the grass. thumb.gif
    Emily

• Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Feedback for Page 5 entries
    #42 Stalking (pemmett) - I like the strong composition and the tilted horizon ... it is a very pleasing image, simple and effective.

#43 Inheritance (mmroden) - Nice lighting, effective cmposition. But the most interesting part of this is someone else's photograph and I didn't know how to feel about that as a judge ... eventually decided it didn't matter and it was yet another agonizing cut.

#44 Just Chillin' (Puzzled Paul) - Excellent detail in this macro shot, I don't mind the green color from the filter but the washed out results took away from the visual impact a macro shot ccan achieve by making that wonderful detail a subtle, barely noticable feature.

#45 Season's Fall (swintonphoto) - I liked everything about this but felt it needed a more dramatic sky to push it into my top ten.

#46 Bullied No More (MrsCue) - I remember thinking this was a very well executed, but not exceptional outdoor potrait. I couldn't visually establish a connection to the title though. She didn't appear to have been battered or bullied by cues from either expression or environment, so I felt something was missing.

#47 Pretty as a Painting (silvercolor) - I agree with you, the effect really suited the image and it was a strong first entry. The apparent tilted horizon is usually more noticable in boat shots, and was a slight detraction here.

#48 Paper in Pen and Ink (sunita) - I like the concept but this was just too 2 dimensional and therefore lacked impact when combined with the filter.

#49 Two Hearts Beat as One (tentacion) - Completely agree with Emily here. This image had potential, great composition and an interesting subject, but the filter choice didn;t complement it very well. I almost felt like I was looking at the undead in love ... And I was fairly certain that wasn't what you were going for ;)

#50 Boogie Man Under my Bed (thegreenegg) - I just love the concept but it lacked visual impact, maybe adding someone all curled up in the corner afraid and dreading the lights going out.

More tommorrow ...
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Sorry Emily, had to DQ yours .. no EXIF blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Sorry Emily, had to DQ yours .. no EXIF blbl.gif

:lol

But it WAS at least within the challenge timeframe, didn't have a border or a watermark!!! 3 out of 4 ain't bad, right?

(Ooops, no title either!)
    Emily

• Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    :lol

But it WAS at least within the challenge timeframe, didn't have a border or a watermark!!! 3 out of 4 ain't bad, right?

(Ooops, no title either!)
    I didn't have a watermark on my entry until after the close of the entry period and when I thought a winner had been chosen.
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    I didn't have a watermark on my entry until after the close of the entry period and when I thought a winner had been chosen.

Ouch. :cry
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    I'm Floored!
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Thank you all, and to the judges who took the time to give feedback (and vote), I am truly amazed that my image made it into the top picks!

Thank you.

I'm glad that I decided to have some fun and enter... I might just get addicted to this challenge thing again :devbobo

All of the entries this round were top notch! A hard round to be sure!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008

Yes, I know, but the public does have to vote before there can be a winner and I'm really sorry you misunderstood that. Others have become confused and felt the burn in the past by not reading the rules carefully. I'll be working to make the rules super-duper clear. It was such an amazing image and I hope that you had fun with it, regardless of whether or not it qualified for the finals during this round.
    Emily

• Options
    samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Hi Kurt & Emily

Thank You for feedback on my photo

Gil
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
  • Options
    WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thank you very much for the feedback. I appreciate it. These challenges are fun, and a great learning experience. :D:D

#31 Evening Harvest (shatch) - Yet another one on the agonize over cutting it list. The composition is captivating, as is the lighting. Two things I didn't like, the vignette and the sky and far BG grass colors. It did give me a feeling of trying to bring the harvest in before night fell.

#33 The View Through Glacier Glasses (nelsonstuff) - excellent scene composition and I like the toning. The lighting just doesn't appeal to me here as the most interesting part is in shadow (although it has good detail) and my eyes get drawn away.

#34 This is my Better Side (pyry) - Very inventive shot for this challenge! The hand holding the filter glass is a little blurry and the lighting is not *quite* dramatic enough to really make this pop. Still, this was well executed.

#35 Dali's Muse (cmorganphotography) - Very intriguing, I kept flipping back to it and wondering why I didn't like it as much as the ones in the top ten. The comp is very good, the colors and effect really work. I finally narrowed it down to the light being slightly darker near the eyes where my own eyes want to rest, and the curly effects messed up her ears, which became subtly distracting.

#37 GuyTunes (povertybarn) - The light from the window in the BG was a major distraction for me. I think the composition really needed to focus more on the light and the guitar player to heighten interest. A much darker BG would have helped tremendously.

#38 Radioactive Kreepy Crawler (Imax) - Nice detail on the spider and the web. But that color just didn't do it for me. Maybe more of a glowing blue.

#39 No Title (WomanWithACamera) - I sorta liked the lighting but the composition and the subject didn't engage my interest enough. It may be just the flower choice, I felt like I wanted to see more petals spreading out rather than all bunched up like that.

More to come, same bat time, same bat channel ...
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Voodoo Boosters
    #62 - jeffmyers - Battened Down Boosters
    I'm not 100% certain of what I'm looking at here (part of an aircraft?), and what filters were used and why.

It's the back end of a F100 Voodoo at the Air Force Armament Museum in Niceville, Florida. I used a circular polarizer to enhance the contrast and darken the sky behind the boosters.

Afterwards my wife said I should have used the shot below which she thought was stronger.

339397989_GsP2K-L.jpg
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    #43 Inheritance (mmroden) - Nice lighting, effective cmposition. But the most interesting part of this is someone else's photograph and I didn't know how to feel about that as a judge ... eventually decided it didn't matter and it was yet another agonizing cut.

Heh-- that was my problem with it too, that most of the creativity wasn't mine. Well, I'm glad you considered it worth agonizing over :)

Now, on to pastels... not a color scheme I ever like to think about. Maybe it's time to take a trip to a Holiday Inn that hasn't redecorated since the 90's....
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    #29 Toroweap Vanishing Point Grand Canyon - Everything about this appeals to me, from the composition to the light and warm colors.

#29 - AaronNelson - Toroweap Vanishing Point Grand Canyon
    Despite the centeredness of both the horizon and the tree, this one is totally stunning. I love the filter choices, not over the top, but totally adding to the feel. Excellent stuff!

thank you Kurt & Emily, thank you.

as for my composition rule breaking:D , i simply could not resist doing it that way, this shot was most memorable from my Grand Canyon trip because it stopped me in my tracks (during magic minutes) while moving from one scouted position to another, basically i gave up a scouted position to work on this shot.

i laid down to get as close to the waters edge as possible and just could not resist the centered comp it just felt right....ofcourse sometimes it works to break rules and with this specific shot i am very happy.

again thank you, thank you!

oh, and thanks to this theme, i learned something very valuable pertaining to my PP
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Congratulations to the winners! superb shots! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Emily and Kurt, thanks for your critique - much appreciated! thumb.gif

Nikolai - honored to have made it to your short-list! wings.gif

Cheers,
    Sunita
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thank you for the critique and selecting me as a finalist for this challenge, and to the people who voted for my image.

And most of all for getting me to take my filters out for the first time in over a year (it helps that I finally have a DSLR again that I can use. But that's a whole other issue), this has been the most beneficial challenge for my photography yet. And I can't wait for the new challenges, keep them comingthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Feedback for Pages 6 and 7 Entries
    #51 Sibling Rivalry (Michael Atkins) - This is such a good bear shot! I felt the filter effect chosen actually detracted a bit. This might also have been better as a vertical crop. Brings back fond memories of living in Alaska :)

#52 Just Married (jeffreaux2) - Another one I agonized over cutting, it was number 12 or 13 on my list. I liked everything about it, especially the tilted horizon. Maybe needed just a bit more contrast, but that is debatable.

#53 Encapsulated (flinggina) - This was really cool! It just lacked pop, maybe from the lighting on the butterfly.

#54 Rays of Sunshine Over Kyoto (reach4urstar) - The comp is excellent, just didn't feel that the filters used complemented the scene.

#55 State of the Union (SciurusNiger) - This is a beautiful eagle shot, full of meaning. There is a bit of glow or haloing around the face that detracted a bit. was in my top 15.

#56 Northern Exposure (crockett) - Beautiful scene, well handled. You made it very hard to cut this from the top ten.

#58 No Title (idlewild) - image not showing up on my work monitor, probably cause it's hosted by photobucket and our firewalls currently block that site, will critique you seperately when I get home and can see this.

#59 Seeing Stars (RocketMan) - I have to echo something someone else said, which is ... good job eliminating yourself from the reflection! I like the shot and the effect, it just wasn't a strong enough composition to beat out the others in a very strong field.

#60 Camel Face (Karrie McD) - I thought this was very inventive and a fun shot, again though, just not quite strong enough to make the final 10.

#62 Battened Down Boosters (jeffmeyers) - I like the composition, but the asymmetrical shadow was a small detraction. Neat shot.

#63 Farmer's Market (jpl) - Pleasant entry, and the filter complements the scene well. It just didn't grab and keep my attention.

#64 Miksang (photobrando) - This was all about the bokeh and the feeling of depth, but in the end just didn't lock my attention. Maybe if you had chosen just one or two of the miksang flower/leafs.

#65 Green Rose (jziegler) - The overall lighting is what bothered me about this one. I had a hard time picking out the subject from it's BG.

#66 Evenings Coalescence (packingmybags) - another photobucket image I can't see at work ... will critique this when I get home tonight.

#67 Dried Red Sunflowers (dee) - pleasing entry, like the colors, but it needed more pop and I found looking at the back of the one sunflower to be a detraction in this composition. Love the backdrop though.

#68 Misty Morning Sunrise (TheHouseCat) - love the foggy mist, the sun and the trees. I think a more ruthless crop to a pano like aspect ratio would improve this tremendously.

#69 Auto Reverse (TPBinKC) - I like the almost comic book illustration feel to this, just not strong enough of a composition to vault this into contention.
  • Options
    TheHouseCatTheHouseCat Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2008
    #68 Misty Morning Sunrise (TheHouseCat) - love the foggy mist, the sun and the trees. I think a more ruthless crop to a pano like aspect ratio would improve this tremendously.
    Emily wrote:
    #68 - TheHouseCat - Misty Morning Sunrise
    Disqualified due to watermark
    A nice peaceful scene. I think I'd prefer a little more color in the sky though, and the horizon off-center.
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank Kurt and Emily for posting a comment about my photo in their feedback. They didn't have to take the time to do that but they are great and did it anyway...although I blundered and left my watermark. However, as a newbie and learning the ropes, I needed the lessons. Thanks again for your time. It didn't go unnoticed.

Valeria
    FunFotos...in HIS Focus!
    by Valeria G. Rome
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thank you JAG and Linda for including me in your favorites. I appreciated it and it gave me quite a lift. iloveyou.gif

Emily and Kurt, your feedback on all of the photos is awsome and I appreciate your comments on my entry very much.

I want to add that producing Encaspsulated invovled a lot of skills I have never used before. It took me hours and hours to get it the way I wanted it (even though it wasn't quite what the judges would have done) and I learned a tremendous amount. That's what the challenges are all about, right? mwink.gif

I feel bad that I haven't been able to put up my favorites due to other photography comittments (which is good I guess), but I do want to say that the entries were just amazing, whether subtle or not so subtle in their use of filters.

I would like to mention two that I particularly like that didn't make the cut: One isshatch's entry which was one of my faovirtes I just love that photograph. It makes me think of a twilight Van Gogh landscape before the artist completely lost it.

Also Cmorganphotography's Dali's Muse got high marks from me because it is a clever idea well executed.

On to pastels and primaries, assuming the muse strikes.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I want to add that producing Encaspsulated invovled a lot of skills I have never used before. It took me hours and hours to get it the way I wanted it (even though it wasn't quite what the judges would have done) and I learned a tremendous amount. That's what the challenges are all about, right? mwink.gif

That's exactly what this is all about IMO ... learning to grow in our art. Actually, I wouldn't have been able to produce what you did ... I don't have the skill yet bowdown.gif

When I was judging, I knew there would be entries from people far beyond my present skill level that I'd have judge critically, so I figured judging on the basis of how I would have done something, or whether it met a composition rule, was a faulty prospect.

Instead, I looked for which ones really caught my eye and made me want to look at it more than once. In most of the challenges I've participated in or lurked, that would have netted me about 6-7 entries on average and then I'd have to sweat to figure out which ones were good enough to make the shortfall up. In THIS particular case, I ended up with 25 - 30 entries in my first cut and thought ... ACK! How the heck am I gonna cut this down to just 10?!

So I checked my spreadsheet to see which bribes came in by wire transfer and which were sent as checks ... uh, did I say that out loud?

So I looked again and noticed there were about 5 -6 I'd gladly hang on my wall and tell people I did them :) That left quite a few excellent entries and I took emily's advice and went with my first, gut insticts. I reviewed all the remaining 20 or so pics and chose my favorite, added it to the list, then reviewed the remainder again, chose my favorite, repeat until I had 10.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Feedback for the Photobucket hosted images
    #58 No Title (IdleWild) - Excellent egret shot, the pose is striking and the blur worked very well. The darkened BG didn't do it for me though. Ended up looking like it had no feet and there was just enough detail inthe darkened areas that I felt a strong need to see more detail.

#66 Evening's Coalescence (packingMyBags) - I almost liked the reflection, but it was too small to really grab my interest and there was some yellowish reflected lighting that interfered. Without the reflection being a strong, interesting element the rest just didn't work.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Photo #68 Feedback

Kurt could you go back and take a look at the photo now on the submittal thread? I've made some adjustments and would love your input. I'd like to know if these were the changes that you had in mind. Again, thanks for your time!

Valeria
    FunFotos...in HIS Focus!
    by Valeria G. Rome
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Kurt could you go back and take a look at the photo now on the submittal thread? I've made some adjustments and would love your input. I'd like to know if these were the changes that you had in mind. Again, thanks for your time!

Valeria
    FunFotos...in HIS Focus!
    by Valeria G. Rome

Yes, that's closer to what I was thinking! Maybe even crop a little more from the bottom.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Kurt, for doing a full feedback, you get extra brownie points, a pat on the back and a "You da man!"

You so rock! clap.gif
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Kudos
    Yes, that's closer to what I was thinking! Maybe even crop a little more from the bottom.

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifYour a prince!

Do all new photographers feel this insecure?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmorganphotography
    Awww. Thanks. Does that mean I can be the one that turns into animals???
    Personally, I bowdown.gif to Shatch... he's all stealth with his stuff and BLAMO! instant awesome overnight. It looks like there's a texture filter of some sort and a saturation boost in there.
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I hate Shatch. lol3.gif

He kicks bootay. bowdown.gif

:cry
    And I thought you guys liked me...I've been nice. And besides...I'm not competition either. deal.gif
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    :cry
    And I thought you guys liked me...I've been nice. And besides...I'm not competition either. deal.gif

:smooch