Options

>>> DSS Challenge #4 (Photo Filters): Feedback Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    What a great collection of photos! Thank you Greensquared and KurtPreston for your judging and feedback!!!! You guys are great! Greensquared, I would love to see your variation of my photo. Anxiously awaiting! BTW, loved your entry! Thanks for taking time to still enter.

Thank you to JAG, Nikolai, MichaelAtkins, Velvtride, Travis, IMAX, and Evoryware for including my shot in your favorites and the kind comments. I think that includes cmorganphotography as well!? (If I read it right I think it is a complement. headscratch.gif )

And to all of those who made the cut to the voting round clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Some tremendous photos there!!! Looks like it is going to be a tight final vote. Hope you can get some sleep at night and work done during the day in between the "refresh screen" clicking. I got caught there once. Lot a fun!! Best wishes to all!!!

Steven
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    What a great collection of photos! Thank you Greensquared and KurtPreston for your judging and feedback!!!! You guys are great! Greensquared, I would love to see your variation of my photo. Anxiously awaiting! BTW, loved your entry! Thanks for taking time to still enter.

Steven

Steven, Here's what I quickly played with. Original for comparison here.

341049211_byUch-L.jpg

There will probably be a slue of people who disagree with me, but when you get as creative as you are, closer scrutiny is inevitable. You have a definite style and I truly believe that with just a little finessing, you will be unstoppable. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I like your version. Do you mind doing my future post? So my guess on your tweaking is some color toning and increase of contrast? Am I close?
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    I like your version. Do you mind doing my future post? So my guess on your tweaking is some color toning and increase of contrast? Am I close?

Hmmmm...that was ages ago, but I know one of the major things I did was to just burn in the bright area. Call me old fashioned...:D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    I loved this theme! So many talented photogs - these were my favorites.

340544716_RDQTa-L.jpg

Thanks for including me in your favs. There were so many awesome shots in this challenge. :D
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    Thanks for including me in your favs. There were so many awesome shots in this challenge. :D
    Thank you for including mine in your fav list.
  • Options
    Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    #51 - Michael Atkins - Sibling Rivalry
    Phenomenal shot. Unfortunately I felt that the filter used ruined it.

#51 Sibling Rivalry (Michael Atkins) - This is such a good bear shot! I felt the filter effect chosen actually detracted a bit. This might also have been better as a vertical crop. Brings back fond memories of living in Alaska :)

Thank you Emily and Kurt for your feedback and for giving us your honestly judgement of all our photos... Without honest feedback it's hard to grow as an artist.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who was like oh'snap this challenge is going to suck. Not in a bad way but because I knew it was going to be difficult. I wish I was better at photoshop but I'm not. I know it's definetly one of my weaknesses. Your feedback has motivated me again to get back in there and try to learn some new stuff. Honestly it's pretty overwhelming at times being a photoshop newb. But this challenge helped me realize I really need to get a grasp on it rather then just throwing something together.

Thank you again for your hard work and giving us these challenges. They have helped me grow alot. The competition is so stiff that I feel I can only get better... because your only as good as you challenge yourself to be.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    #69 Auto Reverse (TPBinKC) - I like the almost comic book illustration feel to this, just not strong enough of a composition to vault this into contention.
    #69 - TPBinKC - Auto reverse
    Really nice comp and great use of the filter. Just not drawing me in quite as much as some of the other entries.

I'm a little late on this reply, haven't had much time the last few days.

So it sounds like I was not horrible, just not good enough...

Cool. I'll take that as progress.

Really wish I would have played with it more now. As all too often, I waited until late in the contest period to take the shots I had in mind. Came home and played for a while and pretty much discarded the idea of entering. My wife, great inspiration and motivation that she is, talked me into entering it. I'm glad I listened to her.

I also want to say thanks again to both of you for judging and providing feedback.