Options

[Completed] Guestbook comments

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
edited August 24, 2013 in SmugMug Support
All my guestbook comments have disappeared.
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Hi Allen,

If the comments were for an entire gallery then those will not transfer over, sorry :(. New SmugMug does not have gallery comments, just individual photo comments.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Hi Allen,

If the comments were for an entire gallery then those will not transfer over, sorry :(. New SmugMug does not have gallery comments, just individual photo comments.
    This is totally not acceptable. Who's the idiot that decided this? There is one
    photo hidden in the guestbook gallery so comments are activated in the gallery. Years of comments will
    be lost. Many uses have a Guestbook gallery and there are going to be a lot of people pissed off.
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    This is totally not acceptable. Who's the idiot that decided this? There is one
    photo hidden in the guestbook gallery so comments are activated in the gallery. Years of comments will
    be lost. Many uses have a Guestbook gallery and there are going to be a lot of people pissed off.

I am really shocked to hear that the guestbook comments will not move over. This truly is ridiculous. I can't understand what SM was thinking when they decided on making these changes? So disappointed...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I probably had more guestbook comments than anyone on SmugMug - who the hell cares? Do you really need your ego boosted? Instead of ranting about that, just go and make your site awesome, produce great photos, and you will soon have more guestbook comments than you can handle :D

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    There is no way that visitors can comment on your site. I meet lots people in the field and it's nice
    when they leave a message especially with their contact email or site.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I probably had more guestbook comments than anyone on SmugMug - who the hell cares?

Ouch!

Andy, I've respected you for a long time, but your comment... well... I thought you were better than that.

I think it's clear from Al's red text that he cares, and he's not alone.

Maybe there's a issue of copyright here. IIRC, guestbook comments are the property of the guest, not of SM, hence SM has no right to scrub them. Or maybe US law is different to UK law. Feel free to put me right on that one.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Yeah, comments are only working when logged-in. Gotta be a bug.

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/About
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Ouch!

Andy, I've respected you for a long time, but your comment... well... I thought you were better than that.

I think it's clear from Al's red text that he cares, and he's not alone.

Maybe there's a issue of copyright here. IIRC, guestbook comments are the property of the guest, not of SM, hence SM has no right to scrub them. Or maybe US law is different to UK law. Feel free to put me right on that one.
    There must be a good reason for the old comments not coming over. I'm just not worried about 'em :)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited July 30, 2013
    Folks, just a reminder that Andy speaks for himself and not SmugMug and it's OK for him to share his opinion.

My suggestion is if you think it's a bug, email the help desk and let them know. There are definitely valid reasons for wanting to keep comments and if you feel you need that, please do let them know your thoughts.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    I hear people talking about two or three different things here. Guestbook comments are one thing. Gallery comments are (or were?) another. Comments on a photo are another. So, just to be extra-- clear:

1. Which ones are not showing up in the new Preview?

2. Which ones are not showing up at all, even in the old Legacy view?

3. Which ones are not gonna be showing up in the new system, supposedly?

I don't have that many, but for me, a lot of my comments, like Al said, are not just some ego-boost, in fact, far from it (some have been constructive critiquing, in fact). Mostly, I have information in my comments that I certainly want to preserve... family history corrections, emails, addresses, etc. etc.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Andy's comments
    I am also shocked with Andy's comments...must be having a bad day. While Andy may not work at SmugMug (?) he has provided tons of "helpful" advice and customizing routines for many years. His attitude was quite distressing. And the "not worried about it" comment was unreal. Obviously, the other users ARE worried about it. That was really an unthinking, un-responsive, and mean thing to do. Sorry, Andy, please have a better understanding of what is not important to you might be crucial to someone else. Frankly, aside from all the custom programming that tons of users are losing now, this is just another issue thats gonna tick people off. I hate to hear that we may be getting into the idea of Love SmugMug or List it!!!!!headscratch.gif
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 31, 2013
    We have an idea for a potential fix. None of the comments were deleted; we just don't have a way to display them on the new SmugMug because we decided to use photo comments and the Comments content block.

Here's my proposal: We allow you, in the options for any Comments content block, to move comments from any gallery, folder, or page on your site. If you had comments from a gallery on your legacy site, they would automatically appear if you dropped a Comments content block on that gallery. But you could also move those comments quickly and easily to any other page.

Make sense?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    We have an idea for a potential fix. None of the comments were deleted; we just don't have a way to display them on the new SmugMug because we decided to use photo comments and the Comments content block.

Here's my proposal: We allow you, in the options for any Comments content block, to move comments from any gallery, folder, or page on your site. If you had comments from a gallery on your legacy site, they would automatically appear if you dropped a Comments content block on that gallery. But you could also move those comments quickly and easily to any other page.

Make sense?

I think a fuse just blew in my brain... Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013

Make sense?

If I understand you correctly, you're saying a switch would put the old comments in a "new" comment block? Would the switch apply to all comments? If so, how would you separate the gallery comments from the photo comments? Or are you suggesting that comments be migrated a photo/gallery at a time?

Would it make sense to add a comment icon to images/galleries that have comments (owner view only) and let people decide after their review?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    I am also shocked with Andy's comments...must be having a bad day. While Andy may not work at SmugMug (?) he has provided tons of "helpful" advice and customizing routines for many years. His attitude was quite distressing. And the "not worried about it" comment was unreal. Obviously, the other users ARE worried about it. That was really an unthinking, un-responsive, and mean thing to do. Sorry, Andy, please have a better understanding of what is not important to you might be crucial to someone else. Frankly, aside from all the custom programming that tons of users are losing now, this is just another issue thats gonna tick people off. I hate to hear that we may be getting into the idea of Love SmugMug or List it!!!!!headscratch.gif

I think he expressed an opinion that's valid for him. I see no problem expressing that-and knowing him, I'm certain he was not trying to be mean at all. Probably just the opposite, trying to encourage those that not having comments was OK. Again, what works for him might not work for you and that's a decision we all have to make.

Could be mute here in a bit as it looks like Sheaf is looking into it. Thanks!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013

Andy strikes a pleasant balance between being PC / annoyingly delicate, and speaking his mind. I'm glad he's not frustratingly gentle, or an A-hole. ;-)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    If I understand you correctly, you're saying a switch would put the old comments in a "new" comment block?

Correct.
    Would the switch apply to all comments?

Just gallery comments. Photo comments made their way over to each photo already and would remain there.
    Would it make sense to add a comment icon to images/galleries that have comments (owner view only) and let people decide after their review?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited July 31, 2013

That would work for me. Right now my guestbook gallery is unlisted because I didn't want to show it without the comments. I'd be happy if I could move the gallery comments to a new page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I think a fuse just blew in my brain... Laughing.gif

Sorry, let me try again. If you want your old guestbook on the new SmugMug to remain as a gallery, all you would need to do would be to drop a Comments block on that page and it would automatically work (old gallery comments would appear and new comments could be added).

If you want to make a nice new Page instead of using a gallery-hack, you would be able to essentially import your comments from your old Guestbook gallery.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Sorry, let me try again. If you want your old guestbook on the new SmugMug to remain as a gallery, all you would need to do would be to drop a Comments block on that page and it would automatically work (old gallery comments would appear and new comments could be added).
    Dropped it but nothing populated?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Dropped it but nothing populated?

Well we haven't built it yet. I'm asking if that implementation would work for you all.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Sounds good here. Will the box have to re-dropped after the codes built?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Sounds good here. Will the box have to re-dropped after the codes built?

I'm not sure yet. But either way it should retain the comments that were previously there, if any.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.
    I think it might be irrelevant if the solution applies to Galleries only. But what I was thinking was in "owner view", if there were comments that applied to a gallery that are not on the new site, you'd have a small icon in the gallery image (transparent) to indicate they were there-sort of like Camera Awesome does for an image that's uploaded or saved to the phone.
  • Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I'm not sure yet. But either way it should retain the comments that were previously there, if any.

Sounds like a reasonable solution.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I have no problem with losing all my old comments BUT one problem I notice now... I set up a html only guestbook page and used the new drag and drop comment box. Now the only way people can leave a comment is if they login with smugmug or facebook. Is this right??? Not everyone likes logging in using there facebook or some may not have facebook also other regulars wont have a smugmug account.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I have no problem with losing all my old comments BUT one problem I notice now... I set up a html only guestbook page and used the new drag and drop comment box. Now the only way people can leave a comment is if they login with smugmug or facebook. Is this right??? Not everyone likes logging in using there facebook or some may not have facebook also other regulars wont have a smugmug account.
    Oh gosh not that again. We went through that whole thing... yeah, guests will hate that. I hope it's not right, or it gets changed.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    daniloheggdanilohegg Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Sheaf, yes please! My guestbook gallery has a comment block in it now, and is eagerly waiting to get its 10 pages of comments back. Thank you!
  • Options
    The 48th RoninThe 48th Ronin Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Yes Sheaf, I want my comments back too!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    ... Now the only way people can leave a comment is if they login with smugmug or facebook. Is this right??? Not everyone likes logging in using there facebook or some may not have facebook also other regulars wont have a smugmug account.
    Totally ridiculous forcing visitors to log in somewhere, most of my family are not on FB and none have SM account.