Options

[Completed] Guestbook comments

Comments

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Totally ridiculous forcing visitors to log in somewhere, most of my family are not on FB and none have SM account.

For security purposes we no longer allow anonymous comments.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    That's totally ridicules, fix the security issues.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013

This is the only thing I dont like...I also made a new post this morning suggesting a change and why...again not everyone uses FB. For security/spam purposes use a captcha box where a human has to type in a random code.

If you have a comment box anywhere on your site even for a photo this FB request login is there, turns people off from not leaving a comment.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013

Perhaps security is not the best word for it. We had people leaving inappropriate and anonymous comments on photos. This is our solution to the problem.

We may add more login options in the future, like the ability to be logged into Google to leave comments.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Perhaps security is not the best word for it. We had people leaving inappropriate and anonymous comments on photos. This is our solution to the problem.

We may add more login options in the future, like the ability to be logged into Google to leave comments.
    If they can't take it they can delete the comments. Why force this on everyone?
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Rather than just deciding for everyone, Why not make it optional to each individual site? Blogger, Wordpress, heck even facebook itself allows us as individuals to decide whether or not our pages restrict comments.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    If they can't take it they can delete the comments. Why force this on everyone?

It's a sensitive topic, Allen, and I'd prefer not to go into details. There have been very inappropriate comments put on photos of children. The owners of those SmugMug sites were not even aware of the comments until a community member alerts SmugMug.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 1, 2013
    Please add my vote for supporting Google logins.

I won't use Facebook and many of my followers don't use either Facebook or Smug. I'm a bit surprised that the only social media site you are supporting is Facebook given that I know I'm not alone in my non-use of that site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    .. The owners of those SmugMug sites were not even aware of the comments ...
    Not an excuse, have them turn on email and approval for new comments.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Not an excuse, have them turn on email and approval for new comments.

Allen, not an option. These are the kind of comments that have to be stopped before they happen. No parent should see that kind of comment posted about their child. If you saw them you'd agree. If you have a better suggestion to keep the creeps from posting comments by all means let us know :).
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Allen, not an option. These are the kind of comments that have to be stopped before they happen. No parent should see that kind of comment posted about their child. If you saw them you'd agree. If you have a better suggestion to keep the creeps from posting comments by all means let us know :).

While I totally agree that sickos should never be allowed to spill their filth to the parents of a young child, I think this solution is still more of a band-aid. Sometimes a sicko doesn't even care if they have to login to comment, they'll still be creepy even if they know you can track them to a random google or facebook acount.

Again, I believe that the best thing is to err on the side of caution, BUT, give people OPTIONS. If by default you want to require a login, that's great. Just let people turn it off, if they so choose, knowing full well what type of comments they might get.

I am good friends with one of the parents who found themselves in this situation, and even they suggested that this would be fine.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    DonlivixDonlivix Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    There are so many people that have loads of time to waste I see... I was looking for some helps and I just found grumpy blokes desperate for having lost their old comments: it looks like a pub with a reunion of moan retired *shakes head*
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    While I totally agree that sickos should never be allowed to spill their filth to the parents of a young child, I think this solution is still more of a band-aid. Sometimes a sicko doesn't even care if they have to login to comment, they'll still be creepy even if they know you can track them to a random google or facebook acount.

Again, I believe that the best thing is to err on the side of caution, BUT, give people OPTIONS. If by default you want to require a login, that's great. Just let people turn it off, if they so choose, knowing full well what type of comments they might get.

I am good friends with one of the parents who found themselves in this situation, and even they suggested that this would be fine.

=Matt=

Yes, not a bad idea at all. I don't know how difficult that would be, but I will recommend it to the developers once the smoke clears.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 1, 2013

I happen to agree with the approach SmugMug has taken to fix the problem. Aside from the issue of inappropriate comments, it forces people to be responsible for their comments (it's funny how anonymity makes people bolder). Sure there are ways around this requirement and even if someone uses one, there is still some accountability/traceability should the need arise.

It would be nice if you never had to worry about that but unfortunately, you do.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DougGDougG Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Sorry, let me try again. If you want your old guestbook on the new SmugMug to remain as a gallery, all you would need to do would be to drop a Comments block on that page and it would automatically work (old gallery comments would appear and new comments could be added).

If you want to make a nice new Page instead of using a gallery-hack, you would be able to essentially import your comments from your old Guestbook gallery.

Sheaf,
    This would work for me. I haven't "unveiled" my new site yet. Am I understanding you correctly that this solution would work for folks who are in a "migrated" state as well as an "unveiled" state?
  • Options
    DougGDougG Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Yes, not a bad idea at all. I don't know how difficult that would be, but I will recommend it to the developers once the smoke clears.

Zac,
    I respect that this is a sensitive issue, and also agree that this is a reasonable solution.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Please add my vote for supporting Google logins.

I won't use Facebook and many of my followers don't use either Facebook or Smug. I'm a bit surprised that the only social media site you are supporting is Facebook given that I know I'm not alone in my non-use of that site.

--- Denise

I also vote on a Google check in, along with a twitter option

Thanks for the update, I understand the security issues now with kids and peoples comments, I think once everything is resolved having the option to turn off or on would be fine because we have the check mark to approve comments first or not.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I also would like to be able to bring back comments via the content blocks.

As for the issue with commenting, I also agree that it's not cool to force us to require visitors to sign-in with SmugMug or use Facebook. Facebook is known for poor security so I'm surprised SmugMug is even utilizing them. There are many people who will not comment if they must sign up for a website. They don't trust the sites and wish to avoid spam. My own Mother refused to sign up for the event I'd created. Or to join my newsletter. There's a whole generation like her. As for the perverts and inappropriate comments, that issue will occur regardless of which website you go through to comment. In this issue, to the key to making everyone happy and protecting the integrity of SmugMug and the photographer, then you should instead require manual comment approval. This is one thing that can be forced that is acceptable. Even for billions of comments (someone will have a long, but great day!). Wordpress (which I use for my blog) has the ability to filter spam and require manual comment approval. This way those who sign-in or those who don't can leave whatever comment they wish and WE choose which to approve or delete. Even better, create a filter to block profanity and sexual terms and those which are offensive to others 'just in case'. SmugMug's commenting system has always been in need of modernization. At least before, the email address was there to reach the commenter and help with tracking. The prior situation would've never happened had manual acceptance been forced. Even if they were away months, the comments would've been awaiting moderation and safely hidden away from family & clients.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I also would like to be able to bring back comments via the content blocks.

As for the issue with commenting, I also agree that it's not cool to force us to require visitors to sign-in with SmugMug or use Facebook. Facebook is known for poor security so I'm surprised SmugMug is even utilizing them. There are many people who will not comment if they must sign up for a website. They don't trust the sites and wish to avoid spam. My own Mother refused to sign up for the event I'd created. Or to join my newsletter. There's a whole generation like her. As for the perverts and inappropriate comments, that issue will occur regardless of which website you go through to comment. In this issue, to the key to making everyone happy and protecting the integrity of SmugMug and the photographer, then you should instead require manual comment approval. This is one thing that can be forced that is acceptable. Even for billions of comments (someone will have a long, but great day!). Wordpress (which I use for my blog) has the ability to filter spam and require manual comment approval. This way those who sign-in or those who don't can leave whatever comment they wish and WE choose which to approve or delete. Even better, create a filter to block profanity and sexual terms and those which are offensive to others 'just in case'. SmugMug's commenting system has always been in need of modernization. At least before, the email address was there to reach the commenter and help with tracking. The prior situation would've never happened had manual acceptance been forced. Even if they were away months, the comments would've been awaiting moderation and safely hidden away from family & clients.

well said. (even if SM knows that perfectly...)
    the first intention is not protection but free advertising in fb, tw, g+...
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
  • Options
    jefff100jefff100 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Put me another one as bring back comments. Dont make guests log in. I hate that when I have to log in to someone's website to view or use. To me that was one of the great things about smugmug was that you didnt force visitors to log in to interface with my photos. If I didnt like a comment I deleted it.

I had major issues with the redesign, one of the support hero's; Megan, did a fantastic job in reworking my page into a "Classic Smugmug" design. Still not thrilled with the tiny little icons, (yeah, I liked those big old ugly honkin' toolbars) but probably the dealbreaker for me at this point is the comments.

Bring back the comments (gallery & photo); and I'll probably unveil. I have no guestbook.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    well said. (even if SM knows that perfectly...)
    the first intention is not protection but free advertising in fb, tw, g+...
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my opinion.
    I believe we want the best of both worlds. It can be done. :D
    We will await...patiently...wings.gif

• Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013

Why was that an issue? If someone I didn't know left an inappropriate comment, I'd simply remove it from my site. headscratch.gif
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Why was that an issue? If someone I didn't know left an inappropriate comment, I'd simply remove it from my site. headscratch.gif
    Last time I will say anything about this this... Think of the worst possible thing someone could say about one of your children. Now imagine the comment to be 10 times worse. Would you even want to see it?

I'm all for leaving the system as is, but also letting you guys "opt out" of the forced login for comments. This was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm going to bring that up to our product developers.
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Last time I will say anything about this this... Think of the worst possible thing someone could say about one of your children. Now imagine the comment to be 10 times worse. Would you even want to see it?

Spoken like a dad-to-be lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013

I'm all for leaving the system as is, but also letting you guys "opt out" of the forced login for comments. This was suggested earlier in the thread. I'm going to bring that up to our product developers.

Sounds to me like the best option is to FORCE the site owner to approve ALL comments before they go live, but also give the login option for those who want it.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Sounds to me like the best option is to FORCE the site owner to approve ALL comments before they go live, but also give the login option for those who want it.
    Exactly! This is the most blunt comment I've ever posted, so apologies - I totally mean no offense: this is the internet. Anyone who puts photos of their child online is already risking worse than just words. It feels like SmugMug is trying to parent a teenager in this choice. Of course SmugMug is the boss since they can turn the switch on or off, but there is obviously the interest. There is no way to 'protect' Smuggers from such content for the offender could still contact them via email or social media. If SmugMug is seriously concerned with the dangers of comments, design a way to trace the pervert so that lives could be saved compared to silent stalkers. I say all of this as a Mother of a 6yr old girl and a 3yr old Son. I know that every photo I post I am risking horrible things being done with them via screenshots (despite right-click protection & watermarks). Yet, I still post. Any photos that are diaper shots or things of that nature are safely private for family only. I respect that SmugMug has our 'best interest' in mind. I understand this decision is based upon the actions of an individual upsetting a Smugger, but realize that we shouldn't all be punished since not all of us have the same sensitivity or even post photo content containing children. A solution would be to have the option for the current comment system, a moderation only comment system or no comments at all. Let the Smugger decide what is best for their content and site with a disclaimer that SmugMug is not responsible OR liable for any comments.

• Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    I probably had more guestbook comments than anyone on SmugMug - who the hell cares? Do you really need your ego boosted?

I have to agree with you, Andy. I think it's an unfortunate consequence of Facebook, et al - the constant desire to be liked and to have 'friends', when what people would be better served by is concentrating on doing what they do well.

It's the same on FLICKR - I see some images that get a great deal of attention just because they have lots of friends on Facebook and other sites who simply tick the right boxes for them. Meaningless!:D
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013

Thank you for bringing up this idea of allowing people to "opt out". Now that's a real hero, when you're hearing ideas and willing to truly pass them along with your added clout. I understand SmugMug's dilemma and do believe they have integrity and internet safety in mind. And of course I would hate to see a disgusting comment about anyone's children including my own, or really about anything. But honestly, I'd rather see a comment than be stuck with having barely any comments due to log-in restrictions. I know for sure it would cut my comments to a fraction of what they are now.

And think about this: If have the option of choosing to screen comments, and have that turned on, the really nasty stuff would even get filtered out of my email inbox by my email filters. So I doubt I'd get stuck seeing nasty stuff anyway, & therefore it would never get approved and be visible. At any rate, either some way to "opt out" of log-ins, or SmugMug simply encouraging screening but still giving people the option would be the best middle ground, imho. I will state again that comments, for me, aren't just some ego-boost. Sure, those may be nice, but the comments that have been so useful to me, with the type of photography I do, are a completely different type. In the last month I've had 2 people help me identify plants/trees correctly, and I've often had family info or addresses or answers to questions I put in my captions. Those are the comments that I'd really hate to lose, either in the old or the new SmugMug. People who are already taking time to give you information when they don't need to are unlikely to deal with log-ins, and I don't really know anyone who wants to log-in using FB anymore. I myself would never do that.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 2, 2013

Most of us think this way and for the most part, it works for the haters who post mean spirited comments about an image. But when the comment involves a person, I think it's fair to draw the line in such a way that it can't happen without the commenter being responsible.

Put another way, you wouldn't want to come home and find someone had defaced your home with slurs.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?