Options

[Completed] Guestbook comments

Comments

• Options
    DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    What a lame argument about inappropriate comments on kids pictures. YOU put your kids pictures up, made it a public gallery (I assume), and didn't password protect it so only your family/friends can see them? What kind of parent are you? Take some responsibility pills!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    Wow. Totally uncalled for.
    What a lame argument about inappropriate comments on kids pictures. YOU put your kids pictures up, made it a public gallery (I assume), and didn't password protect it so only your family/friends can see them? What kind of parent are you? Take some responsibility pills!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    TipsyTipsy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Do you guys want to backup and save your comments? I was browsing and found this solution tonight:

1. Go to your account settings menu.
    2. Click 'stats' in lower left side.
    3. Click 'comments' (second option down on the right)
    4. Click 'all comments'.

This shows all your gallery and photo comments on one page. Assuming the new system behaved. Mine are all there. Woot! :D
    SmugMug Irony: There's also a 'require comment approval ' option. Hint. Hint. HINT! ;)

Thanks for the tip. The comments now show on my guestbook page but only I'm logged in. The comments don't show when i log out of my site and visitors cannot see them. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again.
  • Options
    DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    Wow. Totally uncalled for.

Really? How so? I don't think any rational parent would put photos of their kids up without them being private and p/word protected? I sure don't. As another forum member said, there are sickos in the world - that's just a fact. If you don't protect your kids (or your Clients photos for that matter), then Ian, I guess you weren't called for.

Moving aside from the hate-mail - To fix the situation:

The old option of "review comments before publication" or whatever it was also worked to protect against spam stuff.

By forcing OUR CLIENTS to login through FB, G+, or some-such: that kills Client review/workflow.

For the other commenter who said that some people don't use social media sites - I agree totally - those without FB or G+ or any Social Media shouldn't be discriminated against. Plenty of our Corporate Clients actually BAN social media on their networks.

Reminds me of the old adage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I'm only seeing the comments when logged out...??? Also I'm seeing the html that goes along with it
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Thanks Michael - I've added my vote.

I thought it was ironic that I could log in to vote with my Google account but I can't currently use that account to comment on a smug site.

--- Denise

Good point Denise....we do not host that Feature Request page though ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    I am glad the comments appeared on my guestbook page. Can I get rid of the slideshow button?

Cheers,

Hiya Dennis,

Can you tell me which slideshow button you are referring to?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    another thing i noticed. when i am signed in and viewing another website such as http://photos.schmootography.com/About , I am seeing different comments as when I am signed out
    My Website
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    I'm only seeing the comments when logged out...??? Also I'm seeing the html that goes along with it

Can you direct me to the gallery you are referring to? I will take a look.

Thanks!

Michael
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    this is the gallery michael

http://www.davidweissphotos.com/About
    My Website
  • Options
    OscourOscour Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hi there,
    By forcing OUR CLIENTS to login through FB, G+, or some-such: that kills Client review/workflow.

For the other commenter who said that some people don't use social media sites - I agree totally - those without FB or G+ or any Social Media shouldn't be discriminated against. Plenty of our Corporate Clients actually BAN social media on their networks.

How about this ?
    Will there be a way to post comments without being connected to social media sites ?
    Is there a way to let people post comments while being connected with G+ ?

Thanks
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    Oscour wrote: »
    Will there be a way to post comments without being connected to social media sites ?
    Is there a way to let people post comments while being connected with G+ ?
    I've added a feature request for this here. Please add comments to that request.

--- Denise
  • Options
    OscourOscour Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Thanks Denise, that's done !
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    Really?

Reminds me of the old adage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes really and if people are leaving inappropriate or spammy comments of any kind, then the way comments work is broken.

You could easily have added your voice without the childish comment.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Tipsy wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. The comments now show on my guestbook page but only I'm logged in. The comments don't show when i log out of my site and visitors cannot see them. What am I doing wrong? Thanks again.

You're welcome! Can you please share the link to the guestbook page you're having problems with? I'm unsure what is causing the issue, but I do know there are others that have posted since you. It's possible it is something to do with changes to the new system and will be worked out soon. If the comments show up via the tip I provided, they won't when signed out because they are shown via the site settings. My plan was to copy and paste my former comments and back them up...then post them to my 'accolades' page on my site. I'm sure we'll figure this out, so stay tuned to this thread. :D
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2013

Hmmmm I do not see them logged out either...let me look into this.

Sorry Paul!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hmmmm I do not see them logged out either...let me look into this.

Sorry Paul!

It's Dave ! :)
    My Website
  • Options
    JamesGPhotoJamesGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Do you guys want to backup and save your comments? I was browsing and found this solution tonight:

1. Go to your account settings menu.
    2. Click 'stats' in lower left side.
    3. Click 'comments' (second option down on the right)
    4. Click 'all comments'.

This shows all your gallery and photo comments on one page. Assuming the new system behaved. Mine are all there. Woot! :D
    SmugMug Irony: There's also a 'require comment approval ' option. Hint. Hint. HINT! ;)

How do you get the comments into the guestbook?? Can't figure it out for the life of me
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
    http://www.jamesgeigerphoto.com
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hiya Dennis,

Can you tell me which slideshow button you are referring to?

Thanks!

I found the problem. My original Guestbook was a gallery so it has a slideshow button.

I created a page called Guestbook and dropped a comments object on it pointing to the original guestbook. This makes a tidy looking Guestbook page when logged in but it says "no comments" when logged out.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    How do you get the comments into the guestbook?? Can't figure it out for the life of me

This tip is mostly for backup purposes, not to show the comments to the public. Just to clarify. I'm sorry for any confusion. I wanted everyone to remember a way to back up comments just in case.
    ----
    Do you have the comment content block on the page you wish to show them? I'm not sure, but I'd say it would only work if the page is still existing. For me, when I added the comments content block to my site, it took a few days, but a comment that was on my legacy site was back on this 'new' SmugMug.

Here is a link showing where I'd copied over a comment to a gallery years ago. It's visible for me:
    http://soulgazephotography.smugmug.com/Infrared/Nikon/NikonD40

Here is a link showing a photo that had recent comments right before the 'new' SmugMug:
    http://soulgazephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Flora/Fall-2012/i-rHChkm7/A
    IF the comments don't pop-up, click the 'comment' icon in the bottom corner.

So for me, moving the content block into the 'all galleries' (blue box) brought back the gallery and photo comments, at least for me. Good luck! :D
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    It's Dave ! :)

HA! Where did I get Paul from? Clearly not sleeping for 3 weeks is starting to catch up....sorry DAVE! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013

Hey Paul, er, I mean Dave! Your comments look to be back now...I think maybe it just took time to bring them in, unless you didn't have the original gallery selected in the Block options? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I found the problem. My original Guestbook was a gallery so it has a slideshow button.

I created a page called Guestbook and dropped a comments object on it pointing to the original guestbook. This makes a tidy looking Guestbook page when logged in but it says "no comments" when logged out.

Cheers,

James and Dennis,

Make sure to manually select the gallery where the original Guestbook comments lived. You can do this in the Content Block settings.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    James and Dennis,

Make sure to manually select the gallery where the original Guestbook comments lived. You can do this in the Content Block settings.

I'VE DONE THAT. Everything works great. Repeat: Everything works great.

But when I log out the comments are no longer there! The Gallery is public.

Cheers,
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 7, 2013
    I'VE DONE THAT. Everything works great. Repeat: Everything works great.

But when I log out the comments are no longer there! The Gallery is public.

Cheers,

Hmmm, interesting. Sorry about the bug. I'm having a hard time reproducing it on my own site and figuring out what the problem is.

Can you try removing the content block, publishing, and adding a new one?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    Hmmm, interesting. Sorry about the bug. I'm having a hard time reproducing it on my own site and figuring out what the problem is.

Can you try removing the content block, publishing, and adding a new one?

This is thee problem with no visitor view before unveiling.
    I've tried everything but the comments will not show when I'm logged out.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Some more clues...

This is what I see when logged in.
    logged%20in-X3.jpg

This is what I see when logged out.
    logged%20out-X3.jpg

I posted a comment while logged out and it showed while logged out but the old comments didn't.
    I logged in and the comment I posted didn't show even though the old ones did.

This must have something to do with the fact that I created and linked my menu to a page called Guestbook, added a comment block to it and pointed that to the old Guestbook gallery.

When logged out I'm posting comments on the new page, when logged in I'm posting on the old?
    I don't know for sure what's going on only the symptoms. I am unveiled now. Is it possible to look at my site below and sort out the problem? The same thing happens on my ipad so I don't think it's a browser issue.

Cheers,

logged%20in-X3.jpg
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I see comments in your Guestbook. I just created a comment there, too. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    I see comments in your Guestbook. I just created a comment there, too. Hope it helps.

Thanks, that makes things even more confusing!

Logged out I can not see your comment or the other old comments, only the test comments I posted myself today logged out.
    If I log in I see your comment and the old comments but not the test comments I posted logged out.
    What browser are you using?

update: I just tried my laptop with windows 8 and still the same results with all three machines. Can anyone else see my full comments page?

Cheers,
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 7, 2013
    Thanks, that makes things even more confusing!

I think we have narrowed down what the problem is. We'll work on a fix for it.
    SmugMug Product Manager