Options

Help - Ideas/inspiration for a baby photo session needed

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in Technique
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I have a baby photo session (3 - 5 mo) scheduled in a week for a friend. I've never done one of these and would prefer not to walk away with "standard" boring shots.

The little girl's guardian is open to just about anything. If there's a large window, I'll be using that for "prop" as well as lighting. If we have decent weather (not holding my breath on that one - take a look at the weather off the coast of North Carolina for a clue there :D) we may do something in her flower garden (the friend is big into roses and such - might work).

So, anyway will be doing indoor work and have backdrop fabrics (of solid colors, and black), lots of indirect lighting strobes, but I'm giving serious thougth to using a couple of bare-bulb tungsten lights and with an appropriate CWB - might be cool. Outdoors, I have adequate tools to diffuse the sun (if it's needed - see note on weather). So, lighting ideas aren't the issue I'm having to deal with....

It's the poses - examples and thoughts of poses for the little one would be very cool.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Scott, when I faced this last year, Lynne provided a link to some idea cards: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=655455&postcount=6

I also did a lot of Google image searching for newborn portraits to get ideas for posing, and I found that extremely helpful. These were my results, which may or may not be useful for you: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76242

It sounds like you know the location, which is great. I asked my client if I could come over and "scout," this way I knew what she had in the home as far as natural light locations and different surfaces or sets we could use.

If all else fails, just ask Lynne. :D

Good luck! thumb.gif
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Hi Scott!

Whenever, I run out ideas or have creative block, I look at photographers that are better than I am (a long list at that)!:D

Check out this guys gallery, he's got some very cool baby photos and may give you some ideas on how to proceed. He's a photographer located where I am and has a really different style.

(http://ridoutphotography.com)
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Scott, when I faced this last year, Lynne provided a link to some idea cards: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=655455&postcount=6

I also did a lot of Google image searching for newborn portraits to get ideas for posing, and I found that extremely helpful. These were my results, which may or may not be useful for you: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76242

It sounds like you know the location, which is great. I asked my client if I could come over and "scout," this way I knew what she had in the home as far as natural light locations and different surfaces or sets we could use.

If all else fails, just ask Lynne. :D

Good luck! thumb.gif
    I've already e-mailed Lynne. She's kinda my go-to person for things artistic (well, her and photogmomma :D) and she's promised some help.

I just thought I would leverage off the huge base of photographers here that are much better than me and I've already got some great help!wings.gif :ivar

Thanks!
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I've never done one of these and would prefer not to walk away with "standard" boring shots.
    While this is, of course, a commendable attitude, I would suggest taking some
    of those "boring" shots at the onset of your session. Get them out of the way
    and then start to get creative. That way, if you don't find the inspiration for more
    ambitious shots, you won't be left with nothing to give to your client.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    While this is, of course, a commendable attitude, I would suggest taking some
    of those "boring" shots at the onset of your session. Get them out of the way
    and then start to get creative. That way, if you don't find the inspiration for more
    ambitious shots, you won't be left with nothing to give to your client.
    15524779-Ti.gif - I should have said "...nothing but boring standard shots."
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Geez, are my ears burning?
    First of all, y'all must be wanting something for how nice you guys are being about my limited and marginal success at baby photography. headscratch.gif

To complete this thread for future "searchers", I want to say this. Choosing a setting and context the baby is comfortable with is more important than the "pose". Some babies cry the whole session and you have to be prepared to "get what you get". Lower your voice, lower the outside distractions, classical music helps everyone "calm down." Sometimes you see an awesome pose of a chubby little baby and you try it on "your" baby and it looks emaciated...or cold.

Be patient, try not to get frustrated, and try even harder to let the parent know that you planned for and expected interruptions/stress/downtime so that the parents don't get stressed as they will likely when their baby doesn't perform on demand. When the mom is worn out, you'll know it.

GOOD LUCK and we can't wait to see the results!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Hi Scott!

Whenever, I run out ideas or have creative block, I look at photographers that are better than I am (a long list at that)!:D

Check out this guys gallery, he's got some very cool baby photos and may give you some ideas on how to proceed. He's a photographer located where I am and has a really different style.

Thanks for the link. This is great stuff!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thanks Lynne, I'll keep in mind your sage words of wisdom mwink.gif as I approach and work this session. I really appreciate your time and effort on this.
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    He's a photographer located where I am and has a really different style.

That guy needs to givr you a cut for all the free advertising you do!! rolleyes1.gif

I like to mirror the style of the parents. I have a lot of toys and dress up clothes and puppets. Stuffed animals and cuddle friends on a nice soft white pillow with a white sheet around is always nice. I don't know what it is about a white setting for babies... maybe it's the innocence and purity of it? You can always pick up cute little costumes after halloween that can serve a myriad of purposes. Throw them in a tote in a closet and when the little ones and their parents arrive, drag it out and both baby and parents will pick their favs.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Babies!
    I've been studying babies a lot and been photographing them some.

First, they are best in their own settings. Make sure they're fed and recently changed.

If you are doing naked baby, be sure to wear waterproof clothes. Have a cloth diaper around to mop up and baby wipes. It it's a boy, keep a dixie cup or a diaper around to cover him up so you don't take a shower and you remove it just as you are about to shoot.

I took Sam Puc' (Google her and you will see her work - she is probably the best known) baby portrait class. The best posing is using parents as posing tools. I bought a Boppy and I bought a 3 way baby poser. I really like the boppy. I also have been using microfiber blankets ($12.99 at your local bed and bath store) over the Boppy.

Here is a latest gallery of mine - this was in the family den and the windows supplied some beautiful light - the baby is three months old: http://www.flashfrozenphotography.com/gallery/5022324_iSC75
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    First, they are best in their own settings.

I have seen some really nice pics in cribs with the front down, in their own blankets and with the parents lovingly stroking them. Also, just about every baby's room has a rocker by a window... mobiles above the crib get their attention, their familiar toys, parents.
    Sleeping pictures always look cute.
    Anything that looks soft will naturally comfort the baby and who doesn't like seeing big soft blankets around babies? They are soft themselves.

One of the cutest pics I ever saw was a baby dressed up in baby brown bear pjs with the hood with cub ears. It was adorable. He was on his side with his thumb in his mouth sound asleep.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Thanks you two for some really great ideas and a re-focusing of my attitude/perspective. This has helped so much!
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    Paying it back!
    Thanks you two for some really great ideas and a re-focusing of my attitude/perspective. This has helped so much!

Scott, you are there all the time for morale support as are a number of others here in the People forum. Glad to share with you anytime.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Scott, you are there all the time for morale support as are a number of others here in the People forum. Glad to share with you anytime.
    Morale Support +1, rolling natural 20's. High Thaco!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Morale Support +1, rolling natural 20's. High Thaco!
    I guess this is good but I fear my ignorance is just demonstrating how old I'm getting.

"rolling natural 20's" - I read a wiki on this and still don't know what they are talking about. I'm guessing it's similar to rolling 1-6 in craps headscratch.gif

Thaco - I looked this one up too and am even more :confused .

I used to think I was pretty much up to speed. Where's my cane and wheel chair.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Thanks - it's nice to be noticed/appreciated. As I've said before, I give back 'cause I've learned so much from others here I feel it's only right to do so. Thanks again.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    Hey Scott,

If you are looking for inspiration, look at Anne Geddes work. I know looking at a master's pics can also be discouraging--makes us realize how far we have to go and all that--but in conjunction with all the other good advice you have gotten here, maybe something useful will pop out.

In any event, I can't imagine you will do anything other than a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hey Scott,

If you are looking for inspiration, look at Anne Geddes work. I know looking at a master's pics can also be discouraging--makes us realize how far we have to go and all that--but in conjunction with all the other good advice you have gotten here, maybe something useful will pop out.

In any event, I can't imagine you will do anything other than a great job and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
    Thanks - I attempted to view her site, but bandwidth requirement is a little too much for the connection I have to share with everyone else at work. It looks very promising and I appreciate the help.

As for posting the images - that shouldn't be a problem and I hope to be able to do so. Though I always ask for permission first, the lady's really easy to work with and trusts me (go figure headscratch.gif).
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I guess this is good but I fear my ignorance is just demonstrating how old I'm getting.

"rolling natural 20's" - I read a wiki on this and still don't know what they are talking about. I'm guessing it's similar to rolling 1-6 in craps headscratch.gif

Thaco - I looked this one up too and am even more :confused .

I used to think I was pretty much up to speed. Where's my cane and wheel chair.

Unless you're into Dungeons & Dragons, the rolling natural 20s would likely make no sense. It isn't a measure of age, but of geekitude. :D Rolling a natural 20 is the equivalent of "kicking butt and taking names" in the D&D-verse. thumb.gif

In other words, we're giving back the morale support in spades, with a little extra oomph. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Unless you're into Dungeons & Dragons, the rolling natural 20s would likely make no sense. It isn't a measure of age, but of geekitude. :D Rolling a natural 20 is the equivalent of "kicking butt and taking names" in the D&D-verse. thumb.gif

In other words, we're giving back the morale support in spades, with a little extra oomph. mwink.gif
    Thanks - for both the explaination and the vote of confidence!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    How old is the baby you will be photographing Scott?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    "rolling natural 20's" - Thaco - .

Try looking it up under Dungeons and Dragons. wave.gif Hello, I'm a nerd. :D

Nat 20's is a stcked stat, 20 is as high a roll you can get on strength, wisdom, etc. THACO - "To Hit Armour Class 0 [zero]" which means the higher your THACO number the least likely someone will get a potshot, lucky strike, or land a blow on you. Nat 20's is great and high THACO is good defense.iloveyou.gif Pools of Darkness is ruining my social life again.

I think I read Anne Geddes in this thread. Those are really cute, handmade costumes for the specific shoots and require some photoshop. It's also her style. I want to see the Scott Quier Baby photo Style.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    My god Cmorgan.... you ARE a nerd! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    We still luv ya though! wings.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    :smack :P Geospatial!! :D I embrace my geekdom and nerdity like stench hugs the bugbear. rolleyes1.gif I didn't see that Llewellyn, thanks for the ally-oop! THACO is my favourite DND toss in, it confuses everyone. The DND people decided that once they hit 3rd edition they would reverse THACO so now it's a term long since disused and reserved for the hardcore fetal raised DND enthusiasts. A dying breed, I tell you. These kids these days don't 'ppreciate good board games and 24 bit classic games.:D
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    eek7.gif :s85

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Anne Geddes Style
    I love Anne Geddes work. Her themes and lighting are wonderful. I actually have many of her books for inspiration. Her costuming is so unique and all hand created. She's speaking at the PPA national or WPPI convention and I might go see her.

That said, so many of the copies of her style, imho, just are copies and miss the magic that she encompasses.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    I love Anne Geddes work. Her themes and lighting are wonderful. I actually have many of her books for inspiration. Her costuming is so unique and all hand created. She's speaking at the PPA national or WPPI convention and I might go see her.

That said, so many of the copies of her style, imho, just are copies and miss the magic that she encompasses.

Yes, of course. Knock-offs don't make it. My only point is that when looking for inspiration, it can be useful to look at the masters, not only of photography but of painting and drawing as well. Pick them apart in your own mind and discover what makes them work. Then try to incorporate what you have learned into your own work.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Yes, of course. Knock-offs don't make it. My only point is that when looking for inspiration, it can be useful to look at the masters.
    I wasn't saying your advice was unsound, I was trying to bring my comments back around to photography and in doing so I wanted to see what Scott would do with an Anne Geddes style of photography and pp craft. Either way, we all have our own style of photography and pp and it's all a huge mishmash of the things we've seen in our lives that made us go "Oh cool! I want to do that!" I'm a huge mess of classic Rembrandt/Greco Roman/ and Asian folklore. rolleyes1.gif I'm sure that made no sense.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    How old is the baby you will be photographing Scott?
    Though it wasn't super clear it's tated in the first line of the OP (3 - 5 mo) deal.gif