Options

Help - Ideas/inspiration for a baby photo session needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I think I read Anne Geddes in this thread. Those are really cute, handmade costumes for the specific shoots and require some photoshop. It's also her style. I want to see the Scott Quier Baby photo Style.
    Have no fear - I'm not good enough to do a reasonable knock-off of someone else so you're stuck with whatever I come up with. rolleyes1.gif

As for "style", I fear it will be more a mish-mash of "stuff where the light didn't suck too bad".
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Oops sorry Scott...

I like photos that show how delicate the baby is with respect to its surroundings. Isolating the baby's feet and hands with shallow depths of fields tend to be very popular with parents, as are your standard bright-eyed photos. The mother and/or father cradling the baby in their arms. If it is the father, you could focus on the juxtaposition of masculine strength and the delicate nature of the baby. If it is the mother you could focus on the maternal instinct (i.e. showing photos of the mother cradling the child to her chest). If it is ok by the parents, see if you can photograph the baby naked for most of these, as the whole fragility thing doesn't really work with tons of clothes and a diaper on.:D

I'm sure you've already thought of this stuff, but it is something that comes to my mind right away. Hope that helps! Good luck!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Oops sorry Scott...
    No worries.
    I like photos that show how delicate the baby is with respect to its surroundings. Isolating the baby's feet and hands with shallow depths of fields tend to be very popular with parents, as are your standard bright-eyed photos. The mother and/or father cradling the baby in their arms. If it is the father, you could focus on the juxtaposition of masculine strength and the delicate nature of the baby. If it is the mother you could focus on the maternal instinct (i.e. showing photos of the mother cradling the child to her chest). If it is ok by the parents, see if you can photograph the baby naked for most of these, as the whole fragility thing doesn't really work with tons of clothes and a diaper on.:D

I'm sure you've already thought of this stuff, but it is something that comes to my mind right away. Hope that helps! Good luck!
    You're right, I have seen these before, but it helps to have them repeated - concrete is nearly impervious and repetition is the only way! Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    It's that never ending delimma between a photographer wanting to be original and create soufflé, and the client wanting pizza and hotdogs. Ultimately and/or unfortunately (depends on how you look at it) the client wins.

Scott, I have seen so many exceptionally photographed baby and maternity photos that are essentially the same that it can get quite boring looking at them (the same with most weddings and to a lesser extent, portraits). Why is this though? They sell.

I agree with a previous poster that get the shots that will sell out of the way first and then go make your soufflé! thumb.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I agree with a previous poster that get the shots that will sell out of the way first and then go make your soufflé! thumb.gif

Same wait with model shots and portfolios. They have to please a wide base of people with their pics. I make wild colour washes and stuff that makes me happy but have no real expectations the model will want them.

Then again, if you made their kid look like a billy goat chewing a small [fake]tin can, they might fall all over you with joy and exclaim "how cute!!!"
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    For the boy... little toolbelt, hammer, hardhat are great "all-time seller" props.

For a girl.... absolutely anything frilly.

If you have access to a small puppy that is good with kids and the parents are open to it... USE IT. YOU WILL MAKE SALES! :D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    For the boy... little toolbelt, hammer, hardhat are great "all-time seller" props.

For a girl.... absolutely anything frilly.

If you have access to a small puppy that is good with kids and the parents are open to it... USE IT. YOU WILL MAKE SALES! :D

Big, fluffy stuff animal. If it's huge, has big eyes, and is soft and fluffy. Bunnies are a big one. Get a pink one and a blue one, you're set. Stuffed puppies work too.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Dogs and babies
    If the shots are about the baby, I'd leave out any dog that didn't belong to the family.

My dog, Daisy, is a professionally trained dog with theater experience (she's a real Toto and has done Wizard of Oz). While she's worked with kids and loves everyone - including babies - the shot is about a baby and while people love the idea, I'd never allow my dog to upstage a baby.

That said - toddler shots - sure. She's the ultimate prop. But babies belong with fluffy and soft props.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    If the shots are about the baby, I'd leave out any dog that didn't belong to the family.

My dog, Daisy, is a professionally trained dog with theater experience (she's a real Toto and has done Wizard of Oz). While she's worked with kids and loves everyone - including babies - the shot is about a baby and while people love the idea, I'd never allow my dog to upstage a baby.

That said - toddler shots - sure. She's the ultimate prop. But babies belong with fluffy and soft props.

Usually I would agree, however parents sometimes want strange things. It really doesn't hurt to ask. After all, its not really about your values and what you want. If they don't want it, then they can tell you so. More often then not, people are open to any idea that will be cute. If it really is about the baby, then most people wouldn't dress them up in ridiculous costumes.

This also depends on the type of shoot you are doing? Is it a fun portrait session or is it supposed to be a sensitive session with the mother and father depicting a nurturing environment? I hope for you its the second, because personally I hate any kind of prop in a portrait. It is also much more artistic and awe inspiring!thumb.gif

Did you look at the site I gave you earlier in the post Scott? I've yet to see better baby photos than the ones he's got on his site.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Um.....if I was shooting someone else's baby with a dog I owned, I'd be d@#$%ed sure and call my insurance agent first. The whole thought gives me gray hairs! eek7.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008

Check out this guys gallery, he's got some very cool baby photos and may give you some ideas on how to proceed. He's a photographer located where I am and has a really different style.

(http://ridoutphotography.com)

I visited this site earlier, didn't find any baby photos, decided to try again. I am feeling pretty dumb here. Another reason I don't like "coy" or vague gallery titles. Where are the baby pictures? In "Wedding Vision", "Their Vision," "Blurred Vision", "Visual Cents", I am just not finding them and after your multiple mentions I'm dying to!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I visited this site earlier, didn't find any baby photos, decided to try again. I am feeling pretty dumb here. Another reason I don't like "coy" or vague gallery titles. Where are the baby pictures? In "Wedding Vision", "Their Vision," "Blurred Vision", "Visual Cents", I am just not finding them and after your multiple mentions I'm dying to!
    FWIW - I tried as well and didn't succeed. I'm going to try again tonight when I have a faster connection (the one at work is just a little slow sometimes).
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    I agree with you their Scott! They are sporadically laid out throughout his galleries. You'll need a faster connection unfortunately.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Um.....if I was shooting someone else's baby with a dog I owned, I'd be d@#$%ed sure and call my insurance agent first. The whole thought gives me gray hairs! eek7.gif

Wow... where I live things are pretty laid back when it comes to that kind of stuff. Then again, I've never had a problem with a month old Shi-Tzu...

I guess you'll have to judge the feelings in your marketplace. It was just an idea I've seen done before well.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Wow... where I live things are pretty laid back when it comes to that kind of stuff. Then again, I've never had a problem with a month old Shi-Tzu...

I guess you'll have to judge the feelings in your marketplace. It was just an idea I've seen done before well.

If your kid runs up and kicks my dog in the face and my dog bites him back I have to kill my dog and pay a fine. That's what it's like here with animals. I'm not sure if the family of kid has to do anything, I just know to keep my dog away from strangers and keep his mouth shut in the 1 in a 13457863364424568424475634th chance he actually attempts a nip at someone.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Dogs
    A Month old puppy that will weigh 12 lbs as an adult needs exposure to kids to be socialized.

I have never seen dog pictures with newborns where unrelated dogs are in the images unless the dogs are stuffed.

Scott - here is Sam Puc' website. Lots of inspiration there

http://www.expressionsphotos.com
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    A Month old puppy that will weigh 12 lbs as an adult needs exposure to kids to be socialized.

I have never seen dog pictures with newborns where unrelated dogs are in the images unless the dogs are stuffed.

Obviously a 12lb puppy wouldn't be ideal. I would expect a little common sense on behalf of the photographer. There are shih-tzu's (my fiancé breeds them), pomeranians, tea-cup min pins, etc... that are not 12lbs at around the 4-month stage.

By the way, I've never seen a 12lb puppy at one-month and I've gotten the opportunity to raise malamutes, shepherds, and labs. Not even great pyranees get that big in 1-month (they do in about 10-15 weeks). Most puppies do not even open their eyes until the 3rd week (depends on the breed it could be earlier)!!!!

0.5-month old teacup min-pin (eyes haven't opened yet). Two of them fit in the palm of my hand.

318043373_3uDPz-L-1.jpg

By the way, have you ever seen people on horses (I wouldn't recommend this for a baby though). They're unrelated. Again, I'll post what I did earlier and say that it isn't really about what you want. By the way, have you ever seen clients posed in classic cars, how about sports cars? How about in front of walls that have nice textures? Most of the times they don't own these things. It's all about creativity and using other resources to make your images stand out about others. This "relation" thing is nice, but really quite irrelevant unless the client specifies that. I have a good relationship with a gentleman that sells antique cars. He allows me to take clients and families there when they want a theme to their photo. The same goes with old barns and fields, churches, the front of someone's nice garden, etc...

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    My puppy was pushing around 5 pounds at a month. He's a big boy. I don't expect anyone to put that little ball of energy near anything precious, inanimate or otherwise. Don't use an English Pointer. HIGH ENERGY. He's pushing around 50-55 at one year. <---- shamless puppy talking up opportunity.:D

He loves people, love them, but he jumps, and hugs, and kisses, and pees. He loves babies though and is extra gentle because he goes near them and they smell like people but they are so small. He loos it like "WTF? I don't know what to do.... What IS that?!" He mostly sniffs and then he licks and licks and licks. He's BFF with our friends' 2 year old.

And let's all say it together for that picture: AWWWWWWWWWW.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    But his eyes were just opened right?

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    But his eyes were just opened right?
    We got Black Jack at 5 mo. He was a big boy even then. Weighed 15 lbs by then, I think.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Complete and utter thread derailment!
    @geospatial.....
    my Edit for brevity below :)

I'm just saying that all dogs are unpredictable, that no owner can ever guarantee their dog is not going to harm a child...viciously or accidentally.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Let's Get it Back on the Rails
    I totally agree with the above post. Caution is at the discretion of the photographer and client(s).

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:

Just a quick glance shows that this is a gold mine! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Just a quick glance shows that this is a gold mine! Thanks!
    Did you note the baby in the bear suit with the stuffed bears!! I did!! The little girl on a bed of fake roses with the soft tulle over it. That's a keeper! Lots of light is her secret weapon it looks like.
    *must go buy the cheap suitcases I saw* The little pilot boy was ADORABLE!