Inner landscapes of steel and stone

2»

Comments

• jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    There is good photography and then there is good photography. These shots are the latter. Know what I mean?

Many images I look at it takes me a moment to decide if I like the or not. These images (the color ones, the B&W one are really good too but not as striking as the color ones) I knew immediately I LOVED. I'd happily hang these on my wall. The composition and color are wonderful.

PS. Can you talk about the lighting and your post processing? Are you doing exposure stacking or HDR? The lighting and detail on Chutes and Ladders is amazing.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Schmoo, just got back from travels and finally noticed your post

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Awesomedeal.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Superb series Schmoo as always!!
    Loved the colors and bw conversion.

It seems like you are not shooting much these days headscratch.gif
    Thanks Awais! And you're right I don't get out as much anymore, although I wish I could. Is it that obvious? :uhoh

New work and wrapping up my last year of school has taken most of my time. But of course it doesn't make the actual act of shooting any less fun :D

I see so many great threads and photos on Dgrin I do want to play too every now and then!
    edited July 28, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, all. And MARC! Yay! Marc's back :smo
    jpl wrote:
    PS. Can you talk about the lighting and your post processing? Are you doing exposure stacking or HDR? The lighting and detail on Chutes and Ladders is amazing.
    You flatter me, but I don't do anything nearly as fancy as exposure stacking or HDR! I have tried HDR before and it just came out blurry. Not sure what I was doing wrong since I always use tripods shooting things like this. :D

It's just a matter of exposing for the highlights, shooting at ISO100 and then doing a fair amount of curves adjustment layers and masks. Nothing that Marc hasn't taught me over the last year! I punch the colors up a bit using a selective color adjustment layer at the end, but yah one image with about 4-5 layers.

I could go into more detail and even Skitch my layers palette if you're really that interested but it's nothing quite as fancy as anyone thinks. :)

Thanks!
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Chutes and ladders is definitely my favorite! very nice!
  • snowalkersnowalker Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    iron...
    A bunch of iron stuff. There is the Iron World? ;)
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Awesome series!!!! I think you should put this in your "Inspiration, Motivation and Determination" sticky!
    edited August 12, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Awesome series!!!! I think you should put this in your "Inspiration, Motivation and Determination" sticky!

lol3.gif You're very kind! Thanks guys. thumb.gif