Options

grand canyon

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited August 14, 2008 in Landscapes
a different view of the grand canyon.
this place is called toroweap, very primiative, many dangerous variables.
7hr drive round trip from saint george utah, but only 190 miles total.
im so grateful to have been there during an amazing storm with the aftermath of natural pools.
due to the lightning storm a lighting trigger is now on my birthday list.
one last thing, when you come across situations that are a very rare occurance do you experiance regret that you didnt get it just right, or not enough? once i got home i felt like there was so much i missed. (my keeper percentage is very low, maybe thats part of it)

well anyway, i completed about five miles of scouting altogether and found this very near the overlook.
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    one last thing, when you come across situations that are a very rare occurance do you experiance regret that you didnt get it just right, or not enough? once i got home i felt like there was so much i missed. (my keeper percentage is very low, maybe thats part of it)

Hey there Aaron,

I think we would get along very well! lol3.gif You put it very succinctly, the feelings I have every time I go out and shoot somewhere and experience something that cannot be duplicated. I also have a habit of being a fairly concise shooter, meaning that I don't take many shots to begin with (it's less to throw away later) so sometimes this just makes it worse.

Anyway I wouldn't have guessed this was the Grand Canyon. I love this view of it and it's really refreshing to see! Great job and I really love the foreground pools thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited July 22, 2008
    Very nice Aaron. I like the pools created after the storm. You don't see that often. In fact, any time I've been there, when it rains, it's dry very soon afterward.

It's frustrating to me that I cannot capture something the way I see it. Especially when the moment is brief, as it was in this picture. I guess that's why photographers return to the "good" places so frequently. And this place is remote when compared to the South rim.

Did you stop at the Sand Dunes by any chance?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    That is beauty Aaron eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    YzyYzy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Wow it's really really beautiful clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    I wish someday I can see something like that with my own eyes : congratulation again clap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Aron,

This image projects the quite time as the world prepares for sleep, and the sun's warmth is waining.

I think when we experience the magic of a special moment far from man's intrusions on this earth, and then try and capture the deep multifaceted visual, audible, and emotional impact in front of us, we will always fall short.

The challenge is to bring a little piece of this back. That for me is enough.

Sam
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I feel if you get one keeper on a trip, the trip was well worth it and this is a keeper.

I have gone on many trips coming back with nothing. Maybe some ok shots but no keepers. It is all about the timing, readiness and a whole lot of luck when it comes to nature shots.

Great unique shot you have here, you should be proud of this one ;)
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Finally living up to that first name --rolleyes1.gif

I like this shot a lot. I think you got the composition and the mood just right. There is a very moody yet serene feel to it which I really like. Being that the area does not receive a lot of rain you should consider this very good timing and an opportunity to capture something many will not be able to.

I know what you mean about getting home and not feeling you captured what you saw. It is difficult to communicate emotion through an image- especially if it does not include people. I always try to demand 1 great shot from each location I go to but sadly- I am often disappointed. It is usually because of being there at the wrong time of day or wrong season- if it is not one of those I just blame it on the camera. :D

Photography is like parenting- If you are your own worst critique you will do just fine. mwink.gif

You did good here and should be proud. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Gorgeous shot! This is a keeper! thumb.gif
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Very beautiful shot Aaron. You've got a good eye for composition.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    photosbyDanphotosbyDan Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Aaron this is definitely a uniquie view of the grand canyon. This shot is really awesome. I can relate to what you said about feeling like you didn't get enough keepers espeically if you were somewhere that you can't just return to. This may sound corney but I keep above my computer the quote by Ansel Adams "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." Although I try and ignore the fact that what is significant to me probably didn't qualify as such for Ansel. But regardless this enourages me to only keep my best work and be satisfied with less. I would say that this image could easily be one of your 12..it is that good! clap.gif

Daniel
    "Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness."-Yousuf Karsh

www.danielchappellphotography.com

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    a different view of the grand canyon.
    this place is called toroweap, very primiative, many dangerous variables.
    7hr drive round trip from saint george utah, but only 190 miles total.
    im so grateful to have been there during an amazing storm with the aftermath of natural pools.
    due to the lightning storm a lighting trigger is now on my birthday list.

well anyway, i completed about five miles of scouting altogether and found this very near the overlook.

Stunning image! Great timing and excellent capture! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey there Aaron,

I think we would get along very well! lol3.gif You put it very succinctly, the feelings I have every time I go out and shoot somewhere and experience something that cannot be duplicated. I also have a habit of being a fairly concise shooter, meaning that I don't take many shots to begin with (it's less to throw away later) so sometimes this just makes it worse.

Anyway I wouldn't have guessed this was the Grand Canyon. I love this view of it and it's really refreshing to see! Great job and I really love the foreground pools thumb.gif

ya everyone dont get me wrong im happy with this one...i just wish i had gotten more....the light lasted about 15 minute before everything went harsh.

Stephine, i am the same way...i only took maybe 50 shots from here and that included bracketing....i will process/ post asap. i think i left with three strong shots...the rest were to harsh or i simply just messed up.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Very nice Aaron. I like the pools created after the storm. You don't see that often. In fact, any time I've been there, when it rains, it's dry very soon afterward.

It's frustrating to me that I cannot capture something the way I see it. Especially when the moment is brief, as it was in this picture. I guess that's why photographers return to the "good" places so frequently. And this place is remote when compared to the South rim.

Did you stop at the Sand Dunes by any chance?

dunes? im sure i missed them since im not sure what your refering to.

when your here next we can endro this place, (i would rent) i would much prefer that over my suv rattling for 7 hours.!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    bowdown.gif
    That is beauty Aaron eek7.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Yzy wrote:
    Wow it's really really beautiful clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    I wish someday I can see something like that with my own eyes : congratulation again clap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif

and i the same to your photography! you must know i lust over architecture
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Aron,

This image projects the quite time as the world prepares for sleep, and the sun's warmth is waining.

I think when we experience the magic of a special moment far from man's intrusions on this earth, and then try and capture the deep multifaceted visual, audible, and emotional impact in front of us, we will always fall short.

The challenge is to bring a little piece of this back. That for me is enough.

Sam

well i know who im going to have write for my book that comes out in 2025

thanks for the nice words
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I feel if you get one keeper on a trip, the trip was well worth it and this is a keeper.

I have gone on many trips coming back with nothing. Maybe some ok shots but no keepers. It is all about the timing, readiness and a whole lot of luck when it comes to nature shots.

Great unique shot you have here, you should be proud of this one ;)

i agree 100%! and a big thank you master thorp! :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Finally living up to that first name --rolleyes1.gif

I like this shot a lot. I think you got the composition and the mood just right. There is a very moody yet serene feel to it which I really like. Being that the area does not receive a lot of rain you should consider this very good timing and an opportunity to capture something many will not be able to.

I know what you mean about getting home and not feeling you captured what you saw. It is difficult to communicate emotion through an image- especially if it does not include people. I always try to demand 1 great shot from each location I go to but sadly- I am often disappointed. It is usually because of being there at the wrong time of day or wrong season- if it is not one of those I just blame it on the camera. :D

Photography is like parenting- If you are your own worst critique you will do just fine. mwink.gif

You did good here and should be proud. thumb.gif

very well said Mister!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Gorgeous shot! This is a keeper! thumb.gif

thks!!thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Very beautiful shot Aaron. You've got a good eye for composition.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif this one was not easy, but now i know where it is for a next time too!!:D (just need luck with dramas)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Luck is always a part of the equation, but I don't buy that it is a big part of it. Preparation is also a big part of it. Give yourself a little more credit!thumb.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Glorious image Aaron! We all feel that way....but you nailed it here. Fabulous! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Aaron this is definitely a uniquie view of the grand canyon. This shot is really awesome. I can relate to what you said about feeling like you didn't get enough keepers espeically if you were somewhere that you can't just return to. This may sound corney but I keep above my computer the quote by Ansel Adams "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop." Although I try and ignore the fact that what is significant to me probably didn't qualify as such for Ansel. But regardless this enourages me to only keep my best work and be satisfied with less. I would say that this image could easily be one of your 12..it is that good! clap.gif

Daniel
    i refer to Mr. Adams quote more than i could count:D

thanks so much for the great words! i will need to go look at your site, i havent gotten to know you. thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    bowdown.gif thanks a million
    Nikolai wrote:
    Stunning image! Great timing and excellent capture! thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Glorious image Aaron! We all feel that way....but you nailed it here. Fabulous! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

thanks!! havent see ya around, good to hear from you!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    everyone thanks, it means alot to me bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Great image....really love it.

For me photography is not only the capture, but the entire experience of what it took to get a picture like this. Many years from now you will still remember the effort it took to get it.
    The fact is you were there during an awesome time and managed to walk away with a damn good photo..I would say that is a job well done..

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    ... situations that are a very rare occurance do you experiance regret that you didnt get it just right, or not enough? once i got home i felt like there was so much i missed.

What a moment, excellent photo!- At least to me, what you said is why I keep going out, 'cause sooner or later, once in awhile, I'll get it right, sort of. :)
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:

i meant i havent seen you around lately...have you been lurking in other forums?ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Great image....really love it.

For me photography is not only the capture, but the entire experience of what it took to get a picture like this. Many years from now you will still remember the effort it took to get it.
    The fact is you were there during an awesome time and managed to walk away with a damn good photo..I would say that is a job well done..

Cheers

Dave

thanks Dave!
    this was a most memoriable one, and like i said...what timing! i have been to this area many times (never with a camera until this last go) and have never seen the little pools filled. there are some bigger ones that have water for longer of a time...(well long enough for tadpoles to grow into toads) but they are not as photogenic as these little ones imo...
    (i will post more shots asap)

so when is your next vegas trip? gonna make room for this place? look me up.
    Aaron Nelson