2.5 Primary/Pastel Submission Help Needed

VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited August 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I need some feedback on these. Please be honest - brutal, if necessary! If your opinion is that I need to head back to the drawing board, I want to hear it.

#1 - Plastic Wrap filter
345201273_ME2Ag-M.jpg

#2 - Some PS work, bg enhanced
345201127_SgX3Z-M.jpg

#3 HDR
345244418_Wv9si-M.jpg

So, with all the feedback, I've come out with these three. Opinions, anyone? :ear

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Damn, one of my ideas down =c)

composition wise #2 is great, except that missing corner

color wise though I'd make it not so purple
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    of the choices offered, #2's flag (no clipped version *chuckle*) combined with #1 or #4's BG clouds could offer some possibilities.

This one will be a tough subject though IMO. Wind snapped flags are a common image and need to be exceptional in some way in thier own right and/or have a kick butt BG.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I have to agree to the statements from both Pyro and Kurt on this one. There should be a way to kick it up some. Mabe if available...you can take #2 and get in closer and less background? If you cannot redeam the corner edge. Also...(in my opinion) you might consider not having the pole so close to the center in the shot.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thanks, thanks, thanks!!! clap.gif

I'll see what I can do - and many thanks for
    This one will be a tough subject though IMO. Wind snapped flags are a common image and need to be exceptional in some way in thier own right and/or have a kick butt BG.

Kurt!
    edited July 30, 2008
    Edited #3 and that's all my feeble mind could come up with. Please tell me if I need to start over. lol3.gif

Thanks!
    edited July 30, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    Edited #3 and that's all my feeble mind could come up with. Please tell me if I need to start over. lol3.gif

Thanks!
    #3 looks much more interesting!thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Forget the sky -- find something with the stripes and stars that looks interesting and crop, crop, crop away. mwink.gif
    edited July 30, 2008
    #3 is looking excellent and I think this would have made a very strong entry for 2.4 Filters!

Wonder if some carefully strategic cloning in of a few more blue breaks in the clouds would enhance.
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thanks! Goofin' around with it now....
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    I like #3. Keep playin!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • BOATSBOATS Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
    critique
    i agree with the comments about the flag being photoed so often that it really needs to be something that really stands out for it to win. but #3 in my opinion is the best one of the bunch. i do like them all but hey i am a retired military man. so its kind of a niche for me. anyway keep pluggin. c ya here
    "the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."
    edited July 31, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I like #3. Keep playin!

BOATS wrote:
    i agree with the comments about the flag being photoed so often that it really needs to be something that really stands out for it to win. but #3 in my opinion is the best one of the bunch. i do like them all but hey i am a retired military man. so its kind of a niche for me. anyway keep pluggin. c ya here

Thanks! I'm still playin' around with it. thumb.gif
  • jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    This thread is living proof that photography and digital imaging is very subjective.

You have 3 people above me say #3 is the best. You said be brutal: my honest first thought on reading that was that maybe they were trying to sabotage you. I just don't see what they are seeing. The PP here just really doesn't work for me and takes away from the image. It looks like the flag has been wrapped in saran wrap. Sorry if that is too harsh. I like #2 and #4 best.
    edited August 1, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    This thread is living proof that photography and digital imaging is very subjective.

You have 3 people above me say #3 is the best. You said be brutal: my honest first thought on reading that was that maybe they were trying to sabotage you. I just don't see what they are seeing. The PP here just really doesn't work for me and takes away from the image. It looks like the flag has been wrapped in saran wrap. Sorry if that is too harsh. I like #2 and #4 best.

Don't be sorry! It's good for me to hear lots of different opinions - it helps me understand better and also pushes me to be more creative. Thanks for speaking up! thumb.gif
    edited August 1, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    You said be brutal: my honest first thought on reading that was that maybe they were trying to sabotage you.

Laughing.gif ... She said be brutal, not go on a killing spree and rack up a body count rolleyes1.gif

I like her use of the plastic wrap filter here, myself. But that seems to be the one filter that polarizes opinion to opposite extremes, I wonder if it is because it is such an 'in your face' use of PS?

It's good you brought this up though, she does run a risk of getting a strong negative reaction just from the filter choice.
    edited August 1, 2008
    All these looky-loo's and no one mentioned #1 and #4 were the same? lol3.gif Don't feel bad, I didn't, either. rolleyes1.gif

Changed #4 and added one more.

Still not done playin', though. deal.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    i like #3. no sabatoge ever from me.... ever
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    Still playing around - any thoughts on the new photo vs. the flag? ear.gif
    edited August 2, 2008
    i think a flag in hdr would be great....overdone hdr in fact...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    Still playing around - any thoughts on the new photo vs. the flag? ear.gif

Flag ... by a country mile.
    edited August 2, 2008
    flag still has my vote. Aarons idea is definately worth looking at. I am new to hdr but it sure has lots of possibilities.
    edited August 2, 2008
    ive been playing with hdr for the past couple of months...
    i tried photomatix and failed over and over....im ok with cs3 hdr but it requires alot of curve and layers play. (selective masking specifically)

i rather enjoy these shots here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=98757&highlight=hdr
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    heres one of mine...not as dramatic as those i linked you too... ...but the dynamic range is so well covered here in this shot it makes me so wings.gif

340850330_QhG9S-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008

340850330_QhG9S-L.jpg

You seriously need to take care of those moles in your yard :wow
    edited August 2, 2008
    its not moles...i just have a leaky sprinklerthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    Ok... HDR pic is up - comments welcomed and necessary! :D
    edited August 2, 2008
    try to bring out some dark in the clouds...this could make it very very dramatic imo.....

select the sky, open curves, and see what happens for you....

just my thoughts......dont shoot me:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 2, 2008
    try to bring out some dark in the clouds...this could make it very very dramatic imo.....

select the sky, open curves, and see what happens for you....

just my thoughts......dont shoot me:D

Dangit! I would never, ever shoot anyone over a critique! I take criticism very, very well. I will play with it some more. thumb.gif
    edited August 3, 2008
    #5 is looking nice to me......i like over the top stuff like this
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 3, 2008
    The clouds on #5 look great, the Flag is looking way over processed though.