Please note

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited August 12, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am super excited to see those Primary or Pastel entries, and even more excited about the Mega-Challenge which begins tomorrow! I have a couple of things to mention though:

Firstly, just a reminder that you now have until 8am EST on Monday to submit your entries for the DSS Challenge.

At that same time tomorrow, two simultaneous rounds will begin.

1. The Mega-Challenge.
You must have placed 1st through 5th in rounds 1-5 in order to play the Mega-Challenge. Check your name on the Mega-Challenge Entry Thread for eligibility.

2. Round 6
Everyone else can play this. If you are in the Mega-Challenge above, you may NOT enter in this round.

Now, here's the part to watch closely. If you are selected as a finalist for Round 5, watch the polls closely. This will give you a more solid idea as to which of the above rounds you will be in. Yes, you won't know for sure until Thursday evening, but both themes will be announced, so get your thinking caps on regardless. You do not have less time than anyone else, you just need to cover both bases until you know which of the above rounds you are eligible for.

Please list questions regarding this in this thread.
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 11, 2008
    The Suspense Is Killing Me!
    mwink.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    mwink.gif

Oh yeah? The selection process is killing me! eek7.gif
    Emily

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008

rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 11, 2008

I bet it isrolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif Thanks for doing it.
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008

lol3.gif
    edited August 11, 2008
    Actually , I honestly have to say that this is the most difficult round I've ever had to judge. I am a literal person and so I am left with a shortlist of images that are great, but don't meet the theme, and images that meet the theme, but technically have some issues.

So tell me, what do you think is more important? Technical, aesthetic or theme? If it were up to you, and you had to use a process of elimination, which would you cut first?
    Emily

• achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Actually , I honestly have to say that this is the most difficult round I've ever had to judge. I am a literal person and so I am left with a shortlist of images that are great, but don't meet the theme, and images that meet the theme, but technically have some issues.

So tell me, what do you think is more important? Technical, aesthetic or theme? If it were up to you, and you had to use a process of elimination, which would you cut first?

I would cut doesn't meet theme first.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008

Exact opposite order: Theme first, then aesthetic, then technical. Although I doubt you'd reach technical very often because the most aesthetically pleasing images woudl either already have good technicals ... or would transcend it.
    edited August 11, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    I would cut doesn't meet theme first.

Okay, so then, what literally would you accept as "meeting the theme" here? For example with the "Primary" side - must have all three primary colors, which, by the way, are RED, BLUE and YELLOW? (Not green, not orange, and not purple.) Just one of the three primary colors? How about the "Pastel" side? Should the whole image be filled with pastels, or is just a pastel color somewhere in the image acceptable?
    Emily

edited August 11, 2008
    A little reasoning on cutting doesn't meet theme first. If you are commissioned to shoot a photo of a dog and you give your client a picture of a cat you haven't met the 'theme' and have failed to fulfill the commission. The cat photo might be the most brilliant cat image ever taken, but it is not a dog.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Exact opposite order: Theme first, then aesthetic, then technical. Although I doubt you'd reach technical very often because the most aesthetically pleasing images woudl either already have good technicals ... or would transcend it.

ditto. For me theme first, aesthetics second, technicals a tie breaker between the entries that are still in.
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited August 11, 2008
    The theme should be predominate in the image. I don't think the only colors should be primary or pastel, but the dominant colors should be.

(edited for spelling)
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

edited August 11, 2008
    I don't think that all of the primaries need to be represented.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

• KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Okay, so then, what literally would you accept as "meeting the theme" here? For example with the "Primary" side - must have all three primary colors, which, by the way, are RED, BLUE and YELLOW? (Not green, not orange, and not purple.) Just one of the three primary colors? How about the "Pastel" side? Should the whole image be filled with pastels, or is just a pastel color somewhere in the image acceptable?

headscratch.gif Best to be extremely liberal in interpretation of theme. Especially since the Challenge guidelines given explicitly open up 'other interpetations' of the theme concepts. The problem is in the open nature of the theme descriptions and the fact that the themes are more concepts then as technical requiements.

In this particular case, unless the person submitted in BW or had absoulutely no red, blue, yellow or pastel in it at all ... it should probably pass?
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008

imo.... I think having at least 1 color, be it primary or pastel, should be enough as long as the color is of the main subject in the image.
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008

Re: the three primary colors, RBY are what we perceive to be the primary colors. However, light itself is made up of the three primary colors of red, blue and green.

Sunita
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I don't know about others, but I agonized over a few really good images that I decided did not meet the theme. So I went with one that had the three primary colors prominently featured in the image - Red, Blue, Yellow (with a bit of green). Many of the images submitted were quite good, but I struggled to see how they fit the theme at all. A colorful image really doesn't fulfill the expectations of the them, IMHO. But I'm a crank, so you can feel free to ignore this if you want!

Of course, this note is, like, totally self-serving. What I really mean to say is that everyone else's images ought to be disqualified immediately. Only mine meets all the requirements. No need for voting.

:jfriend
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 11, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    I don't know about others, but I agonized over a few really good images that I decided did not meet the theme. So I went with one that had the three primary colors prominently featured in the image - Red, Blue, Yellow (with a bit of green). Many of the images submitted were quite good, but I struggled to see how they fit the theme at all. A colorful image really doesn't fulfill the expectations of the them, IMHO. But I'm a crank, so you can feel free to ignore this if you want!

Of course, this note is, like, totally self-serving. What I really mean to say is that everyone else's images ought to be disqualified immediately. Only mine meets all the requirements. No need for voting.

:jfriend
    :lol4
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    sunita wrote:
    Re: the three primary colors, RBY are what we perceive to be the primary colors. However, light itself is made up of the three primary colors of red, blue and green.

Sunita

Not quite, but close. In the visible part of the spectrum, the color of the light is determined by the individual wavelength, not by the mixing of other colors. So in terms of light, all the visible colors directly coming from the sun can each be thought of as a primary.

In the additive color scheme of the computer red, green and blue are the primary colors and in the subtractive color scheme of print, it could be argued that cyan, magenta and yellow are the primaries.

The idea of primary colors being red, blue and yellow is from art, where those three basic pigments can in theory be used to produce all other possible colors.

So the interpretation in my mind should be left fairly open, with the underlying or root theme of the round being color.

Just my 0.02c (but it keeps deflating all the time).

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Man, I don't envy your job. Thanks for doing it! As to your larger question I also think theme should rank very highly.
    For example with the "Primary" side - must have all three primary colors, which, by the way, are RED, BLUE and YELLOW? (Not green, not orange, and not purple.) Just one of the three primary colors?
    Ah, I love to be a nitpicker, but normally restrain myself. Sadly you broke out the all caps and well I just can't let it pass :D.

The primaries are absolutely, positively NOT red, blue and yellow even though that is what your grade school teacher taught you. There are two possible sets of commonly used primaries:

RED, GREEN, BLUE - the "additive" or "light" primaries
    CYAN, MAGENTA, YELLOW - the "subtractive" or "dye" primaries

There are also what are sometimes called "pure" colors, of which there are four: red, blue, green, and yellow. These pure colors match how chroma information is encoded in our visual system and loss of distinction between pairs of these (red/green and yellow/blue) are the more common form color blindness.

What you got taught in grade school was a bastardized version of the subtractive primaries. It is flat out wrong and yet still taught to every kindergartener propogating the ignorance across the generations...

Anyway check out good ole wikipedia for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_colors

Good luck with your decisions, I'm glad I don't have to make them!

Ken
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Not quite, but close. In the visible part of the spectrum, the color of the light is determined by the individual wavelength, not by the mixing of other colors. So in terms of light, all the visible colors directly coming from the sun can each be thought of as a primary.

However, the idea of primary colors being red, blue and yellow is from art, where those three basic colors can in theory be used to produce all other possible colors.

However, in the additive color scheme of the computer you could argue that red, green and blue are the primary colors and in the subtractive color scheme of print, it could be argued that cyan, magenta and yellow are the primaries.

So the interpretation in my mind should be left fairly open, with the underlying or root theme of the round being color.

Just my 0.02c (but it keeps deflating all the time).

Regards,

Peter

Thanks for clarifying, Peter. I remembered having read somewhere that all the colors of the spectrum (light) were based primarily on blue, green and red, but I guess you're right about all the colors being primary based on the indvidual wavelengths.

I agree with you on the interpretation of the theme being based on color. Looking at the entries, in retrospect, I realize that 'primary' in the literal sense was not represented at all.

Aside from the relatively open (to interpretation) theme, I find Nikolai's words from the last DGrin challange to be very helpful : would I hang this image on my wall? To me that translates to good composition and execution.
    edited August 11, 2008
    kwalsh wrote:
    Man, I don't envy your job. Thanks for doing it! As to your larger question I also think theme should rank very highly.

Ah, I love to be a nitpicker, but normally restrain myself. Sadly you broke out the all caps and well I just can't let it pass :D.

The primaries are absolutely, positively NOT red, blue and yellow even though that is what your grade school teacher taught you. There are two possible sets of commonly used primaries:

RED, GREEN, BLUE - the "additive" or "light" primaries
    CYAN, MAGENTA, YELLOW - the "subtractive" or "dye" primaries

There are also what are sometimes called "pure" colors, of which there are four: red, blue, green, and yellow. These pure colors match how chroma information is encoded in our visual system and loss of distinction between pairs of these (red/green and yellow/blue) are the more common form color blindness.

What you got taught in grade school was a bastardized version of the subtractive primaries. It is flat out wrong and yet still taught to every kindergartener propogating the ignorance across the generations...

Anyway check out good ole wikipedia for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_colors

Good luck with your decisions, I'm glad I don't have to make them!

Ken

Although I agree with your comments about RGB and CMY as the primaries for computers and printers and more modern tecknowlogy....
    I have to say that I disagree with your comment that RYB being totally dismissed as "ignorance across the generations". The purpose of the color wheel was invented before the "programming" when all we had were three colors that could not be duplicated with any other two colors mixed together. Thus the word "primary colors" was created. Green is a secondary color as it is a combinations of yellow/blue.

If you read to the bottom of the link you posted it did not say that RYB is not primaries. They are just the original primaries.
    edited August 11, 2008
    P.S. as opposed to just silly nitpicking...

I don't think there is a "right" answer to your question, but I really appreciate you polling people for their thoughts. Probably the one thing to do is once you decide what you think the relative weights of the various elements you try your best to apply similar weights in the future as you are sort of an "anchor" judge in your present role.

As I stated before, I think theme should rank pretty darn highly as otherwise there isn't much point to a theme. I don't think one should stick to literally to the theme though (as witnessed as the varying definitions of "primary") but rather whether or not the image evokes the theme is some way. For example a beautiful B&W photo that has been toned blue but whose content doesn't really evoke "primary" or "pastel" would seem to me to be a poor fit to the theme. It has a primary color but doesn't really evoke the color as part of the image. On the other hand a photo that is dominated by purple but has a central compositional element that is brilliantly red my be said to have evoked "primary" beautifully by contrasting and offseting it with a gigantic field of a "complementary" color.

Well, anyway, my $0.02 helpful or not. Whatever you decide the very act of putting all the thought in that you do tells me no matter what the final decision is you are "doing it right".

Again, thanks for taking all the time for the rest of us.

Ken
    edited August 11, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I have to say that I disagree with your comment that RYB being totally dismissed as "ignorance across the generations".

You're absolutely right, way too strong a comment on my part, and yes there is a history for RYB being called "primary". Being in a position where I've often had to "unteach" the RYB system I over reacted. I guess my larger point was to be careful about taking too literal a definition of "primary" because there are in fact many such definitions and often the primaries in one definition are the complementaries in the other! The most distressing being that in our grade school education we actually mix the two systems in their strictest definitions, taking two additive primaries and one subtractive primary.

Ken
    edited August 11, 2008
    Normally I don't have issues with judging. And in this round there are some particularly clear winners to me. However, whittling down the last few is where I'm having issues. Your thoughts are all valid and I appreciate them.

For the record, it was not my kKindergarten teacher that taught me that RYB are the primary colors, but rather my art teacher. With regards to painting, which I do, this is an accurate perception. And yes, I was taught art way before computers were commonplace.

So, back to where I was...this has all helped me to realize that some images which I thought didn't work for the theme actually might. All in all, I'll go with what appeals to me most (which ideally has equal measures of being dead-on theme, perfectly executed, and outstandingly gorgeous!) :D
    Emily

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I would say eliminate the ones that don't fit the theme first.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 11, 2008
    kwalsh wrote:
    You're absolutely right, way too strong a comment on my part, and yes there is a history for RYB being called "primary". Being in a position where I've often had to "unteach" the RYB system I over reacted. I guess my larger point was to be careful about taking too literal a definition of "primary" because there are in fact many such definitions and often the primaries in one definition are the complementaries in the other! The most distressing being that in our grade school education we actually mix the two systems in their strictest definitions, taking two additive primaries and one subtractive primary.

Ken
    15524779-Ti.gif Its wide open to any interpretation of "primary" whether it be the old or new.
    edited August 11, 2008
    For the record, it was not my kKindergarten teacher that taught me that RYB are the primary colors, but rather my art teacher. With regards to painting, which I do, this is an accurate perception. And yes, I was taught art way before computers were commonplace.

Well, in art perception is what matters so physics and nagging engineers like me be damned and go with what connects!
    All in all, I'll go with what appeals to me most (which ideally has equal measures of being dead-on theme, perfectly executed, and outstandingly gorgeous!) :D

I don't see how you can go wrong with that.

Ken
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008

i have one big bright light with every color in it....rolleyes1.gif gotta cover my bases
    Aaron Nelson
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    i read it as primary or pastel. not in the plural.
    Aaron Nelson