Please note

2»

Comments

• DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Woman, You're GOOD!
    Hi Emily!

I just had to tell you that I think you've got to be one of the fairest & most patient people ever (and maybe a bit of a masochist mwink.gif ). I don't have a competitive bone in my body, but if I did, the least of my concerns would be the way these contests are judged. I've been impressed by the way you put forth "the rules" without coming across as a harda$$ AND how you solicit feedback from the contestants.

thumb.gif

Donna
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    I would just add that primary can also be interpreted as "first," and since the themes are open to interpretation, this theme wasn't necessarily limited to color. deal.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I would just add that primary can also be interpreted as "first," and since the themes are open to interpretation, this theme wasn't necessarily limited to color. deal.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    yup, that is correct EVE....i love the deeper thoughts
    Aaron Nelson
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:

Whooohooo good point...and Pastel in spanish could be a pie...Laughing.gifLaughing.gifrolleyes1.gif !!

"The topic ready for your interpretation: Primary or Pastel. "

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    kwalsh wrote:
    Well, in art perception is what matters so physics and nagging engineers like me be damned and go with what connects!

My father-in-law used to always tell me that sometimes you just have to shoot the engineers and get on with the job ... usually when I was trying to convince him to let me 'improve' a system for him mwink.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    DonnaLu wrote:
    Hi Emily!

I just had to tell you that I think you've got to be one of the fairest & most patient people ever (and maybe a bit of a masochist mwink.gif ). I don't have a competitive bone in my body, but if I did, the least of my concerns would be the way these contests are judged. I've been impressed by the way you put forth "the rules" without coming across as a harda$$ AND how you solicit feedback from the contestants.

thumb.gif

Donna

Thank you! That is so sweet! (well, except for the masochist part rolleyes1.gif ).
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Jet JaguarJet Jaguar Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2008
    Sorry for the stupid noob question, but how literally are we supposed to take the challenge themes? Are the themes open to artistic interpretation, or must they be strictly taken at face value? When I read 2.5's title and the accompanying description:
    The topic ready for your interpretation: Primary or Pastel.

Specific and intentional use of color in photographs can be extremely dynamic design elements. Some images are purely about the color, others use it to support the story or feel of the image. And, of course, there may be alternative meanings to these themes…

I took it to mean that the photo should be one where color in general is a main focal point. But from the discussion here, I think I must be mistaken. It sounds like the photo must have red, yellow, and/or blue, or pastels.

So, for example, should a photo of a brilliant sunset with striking, vivid orange lighting throughout be disqualified because there is no red, yellow, or blue, and it's not a pale, pastel shade? Originally I would have said no because the strong coloring is still the focal point, but now I'm not so sure.
    edited August 12, 2008
    Jet Jaguar wrote:
    Sorry for the stupid noob question, but how literally are we supposed to take the challenge themes?

Well, let's see. I'll try to answer this as fully as possible.

I set the Challenge themes. If I'd meant "Color" in general, then that would have been the theme. This particular theme, I meant, "Intentional use of color following either a Primary color scheme, or a Pastel color scheme". And of course, if you can interpret a different meaning to "Primary" or "Pastel", then go for it.

I am a literal person. I desire to see the theme met fully and completely (but with artistic interpretation), be technically excellent and aesthetically pleasing. I want to see all of the supporting elements well thought out in any kind of "set up" shot, composition to be striking for all shots, and post processing choices made to support the overall feel of the image.

Do I expect everyone (including myself) to get all of that every time? Nope, but it's a good goal. That's why these challenges are set to really push you. They are meant to be tough. I have intentionally not set a theme such as "The Elements" at a time of year that is particularly conducive weather-wise, or made the themes to coincide with specific holidays. I want to see people try stuff and shoot stuff they would have never thought of otherwise, not just take a random shot and make it a huge stretch to fit the theme.

Saying all of that, I am only one of two judges (for the qualifying rounds. One of five for the Mega-Challenges). There is no set judging criteria. My counterpart(s) can judge however they want. It can be images that truly just appeal to them personally. So in this case, an orange shot my hit the top of their list. And then, on top of that, the Rounds then go to public vote, and who knows how all of you pick your faves? For each individual voter, there is likely a different criteria.

The most important thing here that I want to stress is: be in it to win, but be in it more to grow and have fun. wings.gif

Ok, now I need to go make dinner, so if you have further questions, I'll get back to you later. :D
    Emily

edited August 12, 2008
    Oh, and I promise I'll be getting to my feedback list asap!
    Emily