Options

Disqualifications

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    I don't know if this will help, but it seems like new people (comming in at the 11th hour of a contest) don't always read the rules. They go straight for the entry thread.

I know no you have this:

Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

I'm thinking that maybe if you change it to something mor prominant it will stand out more. Also drop the please, reading the rules isn't a request but a requirement (IMHO) :D

For example (bold/center/size4):
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I don't know if this will help, but it seems like new people (comming in at the 11th hour of a contest) don't always read the rules. They go straight for the entry thread.

I know no you have this:

Please read the DGrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

I'm thinking that maybe if you change it to something mor prominant it will stand out more. Also drop the please, reading the rules isn't a request but a requirement (IMHO) :D

For example (bold/center/size4):

I changed it in the regular Round entry thread about as far as I'm going to go. Everyone needs to do their homework, ask questions if need be, but I'm not going to tacky up the threads.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2008
    I changed it in the regular Round entry thread about as far as I'm going to go. Everyone needs to do their homework, ask questions if need be, but I'm not going to tacky up the threads.

I hear ya. anyone who makes it to the mega challenge should know the rules, or at least somehow luckily following them already mwink.gif

I think your change looks decent and does draw the eye to the rules link, that's the point I was making too. thumb.gif

Now on with the show...
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 19, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    As an example, I hardly think Barack Obama will cast his vote for John McCain this November and vice-versa. ne_nau.gif

this is such a lame argument. Can you seriously equate a political campaign with a photographic/artistic competition ? If people aren't able to identify artistic merit in other people's photography...I'm wondering why they are even bothering to enter, as I would assume that this is an essential part of developing/growing as a photographer.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    In some cases, the photographer may even feel that their own entry is the best.

some cases ? apparently 14 out of 17 finalists thought their entry was the best.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    some cases ? apparently 14 out of 17 finalists thought their entry was the best.

Truly sad.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

what can i say? i made it to the final cut for the first time since lps mid point and i got excited and voted for myselfne_nau.gif

i see your point and i do agree, i will hold off on voting for myself (if i make it again), but if i lose by one vote im blaming youeek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    this is such a lame argument. Can you seriously equate a political campaign with a photographic/artistic competition ? If people aren't able to identify artistic merit in other people's photography...I'm wondering why they are even bothering to enter, as I would assume that this is an essential part of developing/growing as a photographer.

I wasn't trying to compare political elections to a photo/artistic competition. I was referring to the act of voting for oneself and merely citing an obvious example. ne_nau.gif Period.

Between solitciting votes and signing up under different account to vote for your entry multiple times, I'd say casting one vote for your entry is the less tackier of the three.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    what can i say? i made it to the final cut for the first time since lps mid point and i got excited and voted for myselfne_nau.gif

i see your point and i do agree, i will hold off on voting for myself (if i make it again), but if i lose by one vote im blaming youeek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

playing devil's advocate for a minute...take a look at the results of the last challenge, imagine the 14 votes had gone else where... considering it was quite close already with some entries...by voting for our own images are we robbing worthy winners ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    playing devil's advocate for a minute...take a look at the results of the last challenge, imagine the 14 votes had gone else where... considering it was quite close already with some entries...by voting for our own images are we robbing worthy winners ?

yes i see that point and i fully agree. im glad you pointed it out.
    i was just being sarcastic with the "i better not lose by one vote" thingdeal.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    i was just being sarcastic with the "i better not lose by one vote" thingdeal.gif

heh, yeah I know lol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

What if 14 of any of the votes had gone elsewhere? ne_nau.gif Even if you take those 14 votes out of the mix entirely, it was still a close race. And the implication that any winner might not be worthy... (if I misread or read too much into that, I'm sorry, but that's how it read to me).

I also voted for myself, but all this sort of sours me on voting at all if I'm unable to vote the way I choose. Etiquette or not, my vote is own. I'm happy to just not vote in future rounds in which I have a stake if that solves the issue. It'll just drive me batty not being able to see the resuts until the end. :giggle
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    And the implication that any winner might not be worthy... (if I misread or read too much into that, I'm sorry, but that's how it read to me).

For the record, I wasn't implying that the winner was not worthy.

IMHO, there were numerous worthy winners, and I would have a very hard job choosing.

I don't disagree that the choice is yours to make, but are we taking it a little bit too seriously by all of us voting for ourselves ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    What if 14 of any of the votes had gone elsewhere? ne_nau.gif Even if you take those 14 votes out of the mix entirely, it was still a close race. And the implication that any winner might not be worthy... (if I misread or read too much into that, I'm sorry, but that's how it read to me).

I also voted for myself, but all this sort of sours me on voting at all if I'm unable to vote the way I choose. Etiquette or not, my vote is own. I'm happy to just not vote in future rounds in which I have a stake if that solves the issue. It'll just drive me batty not being able to see the resuts until the end. :giggle

kerry, say nobody voted for their own entry...i think it would be likly that out of those say 15 finialists their votes would go toward the stronger entries like everyone elses thus giving more of a vote representation....kinda sorta....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Between solitciting votes and signing up under different account to vote for your entry multiple times, I'd say casting one vote for your entry is the less tackier of the three.

yes, for sure.

im glad devbobo expressed this point "If people aren't able to identify artistic merit in other people's photography...I'm wondering why they are even bothering to enter, as I would assume that this is an essential part of developing/growing as a photographer."
    this point completely changed my opinion on the matter....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    I don't disagree that the choice is yours to make, but are we taking it a little bit too seriously by all of us voting for ourselves ?
    Perhaps. iloveyou.gif
    im glad devbobo expressed this point "If people aren't able to identify artistic merit in other people's photography...I'm wondering why they are even bothering to enter, as I would assume that this is an essential part of developing/growing as a photographer."
    I don't disagree wth this at all. thumb.gif I have learned so much from participating in these contests and viewing others' creative efforts. While I may admire a new artistic creation or technique and be curious to try it myself, that doesn't always equate to me thinking it's the better picture.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    How does this read guys? I'm linking it in the Rules and want it to be friendly to newcomers (and ya'll) as well.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103141
    Emily

• Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    How does this read guys? I'm linking it in the Rules and want it to be friendly to newcomers (and ya'll) as well.

what is :
    "Whilst it is not a rule to vote for someone " whilst is a word i dont understand...is it some kind of forum jargen?

overall looks pretty good....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    what is :
    "Whilst it is not a rule to vote for someone " whilst is a word i dont understand...is it some kind of forum jargen?

overall looks pretty good....

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whilst

Sorry, my British upbringing. Will Yankeeize it. :D
    Emily

• Options
    edited August 19, 2008

i didnt realize i was to be reading your posts with British flare:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    Yeah, it's a strange blend of SE British with US Southern. umph.gif
    Emily

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    sounds great. ends with a real bang with those two quotes. very well said by Richard and devbobo!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008

Reads very well. The only thing that stood out for me was "severely scorned." Makes me feel as if I should have a scarlet letter appended to my screen name. :giggle But if that's the reaction you want to get from the readers, then it works. Otherwise, I might suggest "avidly/fervently frowned upon" or something similar if you're aiming for the friendly-but-firm note. thumb.gif
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    To me the whole thing runs the risk of becoming tedious.

Click, here, click there, read this and that.

I know it's something that is community attitude and behaviour driven, but what happened to the:

make it current,
    make it 800 pixels,
    interpret the theme; and
    have a good time

It seems it was so much simpler not that long ago and now we're all chasing our tails worrying about the most minute detail.

Of course, that could all be totally me.

Ultimately though, I just need to say a big thank you Emily. This new concept is great and I hope it doesn't become too much work for you and Eric or too much trouble for the site to bother with. I just hope we don't drive you crazy and end up spiraling the way of the LPS.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008

What a shame, it's much more elegant.

Charlie
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 19, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    What a shame, it's much more elegant.

Charlie

Ha...thou wouldst say that. mwink.gif
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Ha...thou wouldst say that. mwink.gif

Wouldst thou disagree?

(OK, I realise this could get tedious very quickly mwink.gif )

Charlie
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Wouldst thou disagree?

(OK, I realise this could get tedious very quickly mwink.gif )

Charlie

Never mind, Charlie. As I said, I grew up in the SE (Essex) where they know how to butcher the proper English language along with the best foreigners. rolleyes1.gif
    Emily

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

WOW are you serious...14 of the 17 finalists VOTED for themselves..lol lol Now that is funny!! Well, I thought my entry "fierce" was great too...but then I didn't make finalists rolleyes1.gif

Such a great challenge, and it bites that people go out campaigning for their shots....tsk tsk tsk...for shame for shame..kripers you made it to finalists that should say something......mwink.gif

EM and the behind the scenes peeps, I think you have brought this challenge a step forward and have gone more than an extra mile.

EM, I am extremely happy to see that you don't even LOOK at the names of the photos or for that matter look at any of the threads, until AFTER you have voted...that is reassurance that this is not a popularity contest....

Now, as far as, the final voting goes...We are human and you know that people are not going to be totally honest...it is the nature of the beast, although an unhappy situation, but I am sure that a lot of finalists photos get voted on cuz they have "friends"....but I still have faith that there are people out there in DGRIN and SMUGMUG with integrity, and that they only will vote on a photo because it DESERVES it i.e. technical, composition, etc., and NOT just cuz it is their friend !!

Keep up the good work EM and Rest of Dgrin Crew.

I'm a little confused now with the EXIF data thingy now...being an older member of DGRIN, I remember that we could copy the EXIF data and paste it under our photo...But we really didn't need all the EXIF data, only the date area which validated that the photo was fresh...???? So I'm confused now as to what is required.

Much Respect and Peace,
    Donna (Tentacion)
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    when we have this many votes, one can cheat all they want and it wouldnt even have an affect....

Members: 27,718deal.gif
    Aaron Nelson