Options

> DSS Mega-Challenge #1 (The Elements): Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Kurt, Jeff: thank you very much for your time and efforts! Great input!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    Since so many are gracious enough to provide input, here is my take on the entries. Please bear in mind that I draw a strongly-demarked line between graphic imaging and photography.

- Photography: the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)

- Graphics: a graphic representation (as a picture, map, or graph) used especially for illustration

So by definition, photographers capture what can be seen with the eyes, graphic images capture what can be seen in the mind's eye. Both have a place at the table of Art, but are like comparing apples and oranges in a photography competition.

Now with that all said, here goes....

Tungsten No. 74 (jeffreaux): Excellent example of graphic design. This would be a wonderful illustration for a magazine ad.

Summer's Last Breath (eoren1): Fun idea! I would have preferred the white, center pinwheel a little less "in motion" and no trees at all on the horizon, but the colors are decidedly fresh and clean.

Broken for Humanity (JAG): Interesting choice of "elements" and very creative means of presenting them. I'm not thrilled with what feels a somewhat cluttered result, but honestly not sure how to better arrange so many items truly effectively.

The Human Elements (jeffmeyers): Quite nicely done but almost too simple; it's as if the "story" has gone missing. Normally, the human element does something to what it touches and it feels as if I'm waiting for it, despite what I think is simply an illustration of the element itself.

The Fifth Element (davev): Beautiful photograph, only criticism is that it is overall a little too dark/contrasty (for my taste).

Rekindled (Llywellyn): Wonderful concept and effective use of color but another illustration that would better serve a magazine article.

Sonoran Monsoon (dlplumer): Beautiful landscape but lacking enough drama to really get across the theme and maintain visual interest.

Trial By Fire (AaronNelson): Quite an exquisite capture and I love the way more details reveal themselves the longer you look, but another landscape missing the kind of drama to connect it solidly to the theme itself.

Water - controls fire, formed in air, and feeds the earth (fashiznitsngrins): Excellent color and clarity and I really liked the idea, yet another pefect illustration.

An Element of Surprise (Nikolai): Very, very well-done example of the title phrase. I'm not thrilled with so much graininess, however; it distracts from the subtleties contained in the victim's expression - which in my mind is one of the key elements of the photograph.

Maculation (NikonsandVstroms): Interesting...but too much dark space in the center; I think that reducing this heaviness to 1/3 instead of 1/2 the visual space would be more effective.

So Much for Homework (shatch): Hilarious concept! Definitely an A for creativity. But the post-processing really isn't up-to-snuff so even for an illustration it appears too obviously pieced-together.

Earth, Wind & Fire (PaulThomasMcKee): Simple illustration and nicely done, yet too simple to really maintain interest for very long.

Four Parts of Nature (pyroPrintscom): Individual photographs, each ok but somehow just don't compel when presented in this manner. Feels rather like looking at a textbook illustration that starts a chapter.

Arsenic and Old Lace (VelvtRide): Very, very well-executed concept, but a stretch to fit the theme and so, sadly, the candle becomes merely a distraction. I would personally really, really love this as a general photograph if the candle was only used as a means to light the image.

H2O (richtersl): Calmness, serentity, and a very nifty mirror effect despite the question of "what in the world is that bird standing on?" since it's so unusual. I really like this, but it's a bit of a stretch for the theme.

Memory loss from exposure (puzzledpaul): I think calling it simply "Memory Loss" would have been better. I like that it so aptly shows the ravaging effects of the elements, but it's a reach for the theme since the elements themselves are missing.

rain, rain, go away (pemmett): This is simply a very lovely portrait and fits my personal view of the theme quite nicely.

Breathing Fire (KurtPreston): An "A for effort" on the concept here, but another illustration that just isn't quite as well-done as it could be.

Water Lilies (Halite): Beautiful, quiet photograph; definitely a looker but doesn't quite reach the potential of the theme.

Priceless (TheCuriousCamel): The kind of photograph that makes you want to be standing next to the photographer. O Magazine prints one each month called "Breathing Space" and this is of the same, singular moment-of-peace quality. Unfortunately, while I'd not hesitate to hang it on a wall, it just isn't as spot-on where the theme is concerned.

Field of Electricy (Povertybarn): The element of simplicity. The more I look at it, the more I like it, thought I don't really know why except that the thought of having seen something like this "for real" is mesmerizing!

Earth, Wind, Fire and Water (photobrando): A seriously interesting try at getting all the elements into a single photograph but the use of a flash just doesn't work and both overall composition and clarity (DOF) fail to give the viewer anything to really hang onto.

This was definitely a tough assignment so my final comment is to give kudos to everyone for giving it your best shot!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    My top five pics. Tough round.

359220759_Y2ncf-L.jpg
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    The Human Elements (jeffmeyers): Quite nicely done but almost too simple; it's as if the "story" has gone missing. Normally, the human element does something to what it touches and it feels as if I'm waiting for it, despite what I think is simply an illustration of the element itself.

Thanks for your comments. . . hey, how do we know someone's first name? I always feel funny referring to someone by their screen name. Anyway, I appreciate your critique. I was trying for something simple. I wanted to avoid something too busy (too many figurines, too many molecules and colors). But I'm sure you're right about the lack of impact.

JAG: I don't have any problem with making corrections and adding effects to captured images. We did that with film and we simply have to do it with digital images. For sure. What I mean by "graphic design" and "illustrative art" (maybe there's a better term) is really about combining all sorts of images to get something that is more than a photograph (or an enhanced one). Of course, I don't have any problem with that kind of artistic work. It's cool. But when, say, NAPP has a contest they separate creative Photoshop images from photographs that have been corrected and/or enhanced by Photoshop. Their are two different categories of artistic imaging. The end products are different and the process of creating them are different.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Trial By Fire (AaronNelson): Quite an exquisite capture and I love the way more details reveal themselves the longer you look, but another landscape missing the kind of drama to connect it solidly to the theme itself.

wow, exquisite, im honored, and thank you kindly for the wonderful words.
    but your gonna have to cut us landscapers a breakmwink.gif we dont have the imagination as some, and we only see fire as fire, water as water etc..etc...:D
    and thank you for noticing the details that i tried so hard to present!
    i really love the curves in the rock with the little pebbles cracking off...
    thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Arsenic and Old Lace (VelvtRide): Very, very well-executed concept, but a stretch to fit the theme and so, sadly, the candle becomes merely a distraction. I would personally really, really love this as a general photograph if the candle was only used as a means to light the image.

Thank you for your criticism! There's always room for improvement and I enjoy hearing other points of view.

Here's one of the photos without the flame involved:

359251343_VHcg2-S.jpg

No flame does make it more mysterious and I love the 'wonder' of where she might be. But in the end, I liked having the flame in it - even if it was cliche to the theme. lol3.gif
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai! I'm so honored to be in your list! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    k im not good a c&c...and i usually have the odd opinion to everyone else. so take is as it is from me, all i can do is give kudos to my top three and why...

power. first warning. prepare.

358613835_QqTmh-L-2.jpg

soft. easy. smooth. you dont see this mood everyday.
    358269463_Qa5ct-L.jpg

pure. bold. true. instant in time
    355351989_tEbDB-XL.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:

Sonoran Monsoon (dlplumer) - Ah yes! A wonderfully exposed and composed PHOTOGRAPH. Super, mood-evoking landscape. This is one of, if not my favorite image. But here's my question, and this question applies to a number of images in the Mega Challenge: does an image meet the requirements of the theme if it only has one "element" in it? So if we take a picture of water, does that fit the theme? There are some images in this challenge that have water in them, but is that enough? Having said that, however, I will say that I think this one comes close to emphasizing water/rain and not just having it present so as to comply in some cursory way with the theme. Water/rain is what gives this image it's distinctive mood.

Just returned from 5 days on the Oregon coast (Bandon Dunes). Thanks Jeff for your comments and critique. thumb.gif
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    rain, rain, go away (pemmett): This is simply a very lovely portrait and fits my personal view of the theme quite nicely.

Thanks for your kind words and time taken to feedback for everyone.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Rain rain go away... (pemmet) - Excellent composition, lighting, and exposure. A very, very well-done photograph. One of my favorites. Fits with the theme? B+

Jeff, wow thank for the feedback. My daughters enjoying negotiating the modeling fee for their time! Now I'm worried about the cost of my future images for the competitionrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    Since so many are gracious enough to provide input, here is my take on the entries. Please bear in mind that I draw a strongly-demarked line between graphic imaging and photography.
    This was definitely a tough assignment so my final comment is to give kudos to everyone for giving it your best shot!

Sciurus, thank you very much, your time and wisdom is highly appreciated!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    My five faves are: pemmett, Nikolai, CuriousCamel, fashiznwhatsitz, aaronnelson ... I thought pemmett's was the strongest overall. I may do a full critique over the next couple of days.

And thanks jeffreaux! Glad you liked my effort enough for your top five.

Kurt, I'm in shock. Thank you so much for your kind words. I don't know what else to say. Cheers/Peter
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Sonoran Monsoon (dlplumer) - Beautiful! I believe we called those things 'Toad Stranglers' in Texas when I lived there :D Not much to improve on here.

Thank you Kurt. Appreciate your critique and comments. :D
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    So Many GREAT Entries.

One of my favorites was submitted by Pemmet "Rain Rain Go Away"

I personally thought the framing angle, the capture of character was wonderfully executed. I could actually feel the emotion that the little girl portrayed which added to an excellent compostion. The lighting was well done, and the right amount of bokeh in the background gave it that touch but did not distract from the little girl, and her hand on the rainy glass window...

All and All, and excellent capture!!

Kudos!!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    1. My Feedback for DSS M1
      I start with stating my personal biases (in case you didn't learn them yet:-).
      I don't really care much for pictures of kids, pets and flowers, unless they are extraordinarily well executed.
      I am fond of a nice thoughtful lighting and I don't like snapshots, especially those taken with on-board flash.
      In general I prefer an overall good technically image quality, including composition, exposure, proper DOF and, last but definitely not least, solid postprocessing.
      And finally, a shot that was consciously "built" wins in my mind over the shot that "just happened".

That being said, here go my musings:
    2. Tungsten No. 74 (jeffreaux)
      Amazing image. Stylish background, nice position of the filament, great mood. Theme is right there. My top five.
    3. Summer's Last Breath (eoren1)
      Very colorful and in general very nicely done image. It almost made my top five.
    4. Broken for Humanity (JAG)
      Interesting composition. Nicely done technically. However the whole scene is a bit too busy for my taste. The lack of a strong focal point seldom helps.
    5. The Human Elements (jeffmeyers)
      Funny. Sharp. But I'm not getting involved.
    6. The Fifth Element (davev)
      I have no idea how a man on hospital bed manages to take a great pictures, but Dave for sure can pull it off. Very nice lighting. My only gripe is a weak theme compliance (the time is a fourth dimension :-)
    7. Rekindled (Llywellyn)
      Very nice concept. My top five despite minor technical imperfections (e.g. heart and water are on one plane, while flame is far behind).
    8. Sonoran Monsoon (dlplumer)
      I was expecting a lot of whether (i.e. "elements")-related entries :-). Nice landscape shoot. However, it's only "nice", not spectacular.
    9. Trial By Fire (AaronNelson)
      I was a fan of the prior entry from GC, and this one tops the last one.
      All nature elements are here, beautifully captured. Strong focal point, nice use of WA. My top five.
    10. Water - controls fire, formed in air, and feeds the earth (fashiznitsngrins)
      While I'm not a big fan of explicit framing, this one works. Outstanding technical quality. Elements are present. My top five.
    11. An Element of Surprise (Nikolai)
      I skip this one:-)
    12. Maculation (NikonsandVstroms)
      Unusual subject, moody capture. But the lighting is rather poorly done and I'm not getting involved.
    13. So Much for Homework (shatch)
      I'm usually a huge fan of Steven's work, but this is not one of his best projects. Too many things are off. I guess too much efforts ("so much homework"?:-) can hurt even the brightest minds...
    14. Earth, Wind & Fire (PaulThomasMcKee)
      Nice, elegant, clear. It almost made my list.
    15. Four Parts of Nature (pyroPrintscom)
      I already mentioned that I'm not a big fan of an explicit framing. In this case it plain doesn't work. And "in your face" literal interpretation of the four nature elements doesn't help either.
    16. Arsenic and Old Lace (VelvtRide)
      I'm such a sucker for a candle light! The image surely tells the story, the element is beautifully depicted and plays a key role. Nice work on the models side, too. My top five.
    17. H2O (richtersl)
      Very nice, very clean shot. Great composition, lovely silhouette.
    18. Memory loss from exposure (puzzledpaul)
      Great capture, solid bw treatment. A bit too far of a stretch for the theme, I only figured it out after a couple of days (but it could be me)
    19. rain, rain, go away (pemmett)
      Very lovely image, even given my bias.
    20. Breathing Fire
      Great idea, nice components - and inaccurate blending work that kills the effect :-(
    21. Water Lilies (Halite)
      Nice flowers... Not much of a theme though (but you know I'm biased here)
    22. Primordial (SciurusNiger)
      Nicely captured basics, but it, unlike "Rekindled" it lacks certain drama, leaving me, the viewer, cold.
    23. Priceless (TheCuriousCamel)
      Very nice morning capture. Great pastel colors. But I don't get the theme here.
    24. Field of Electricy (Povertybarn)
      Interesting capture. Good usage of BW to deal with noise.
    25. Earth, Wind, Fire and Water (photobrando)
      It was a definite try, but it didn't work this time.
    Good luck everybody! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    So Many GREAT Entries.

One of my favorites was submitted by Pemmet "Rain Rain Go Away"

I personally thought the framing angle, the capture of character was wonderfully executed. I could actually feel the emotion that the little girl portrayed which added to an excellent compostion. The lighting was well done, and the right amount of bokeh in the background gave it that touch but did not distract from the little girl, and her hand on the rainy glass window...

All and All, and excellent capture!!

Kudos!!
    Donna

Donna, I'm blushing :-) Thank you for you kind words. Cheers/Peter
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    1. rain, rain, go away (pemmett)
      Very lovely image, even given my bias.

Nik, Thank you so much - I hope that the bias is in my favour :-) Cheers/Peter
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    What a round this was!
    Linda, thank you for your vote :-) Good luck. Cheers/Peter
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Thanks to all that liked my entry and had critque.
    Of course I appreciate any opinion and will try to do better.

Peace, gail:D
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Just Amazing
    I can not pick a top 5. I tried and can't do it. These photos...all of them... are so very amazing! Great job to all of you...I am so impressed and intimidated :D
    Good Luck!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Breathing Fire
    Great idea, nice components - and inaccurate blending work that kills the effect :-(

Thank you, sir! May I have another! heh heh

Your critique echos my own thoughts on the composition, and I appreciate your honesty and critical eye very much. I should have stepped back from falling in love with the fireball against the blue cloudy sky and found something else I have the technical ability to present well :) And put this in my hip pocket until I developed the skillz to do it right.
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Breathing Fire (KurtPreston): An "A for effort" on the concept here, but another illustration that just isn't quite as well-done as it could be.

Thanks PJ!
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    DavidTO was kind enough to submit this feedback on his selections:

7LlywellynRekindled Wow, a lot of work went into this one, and it pays off. Nicely done.

24Poverty BarnField of Electricity I like how this feels. Primal, and old. It reminds me of that old shot (help me out here, I'm drawing a blank) of the pond in Massachusetts. The one that sold for a gazillion dollars. Ah, well, You probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I like the image.

10fashiznitsngrinsWater-controls fire, formed in air and feeds the earth I like how this one is immediately identifiable, yet I can keep looking at it and groovin' on the drops and details. Horrible title. Seriously, what are you thinking? :D

9AaronNelsonTrial by Fire Nice. I have nits, but it's nice. I'm not crazy about the horizon line, looks like I can see your handiwork, and I'd rather it was more subtle. I wish the reflection gave me more, or wasn't chopped off. But I like the horizon up there in the upper third, yet the sun is dead center east/west.

17richters!H20, an Essential Component of Life Again, bad title. The image is so simple and peaceful, yet the title is so over-thought and wordy. Anyway, that's what I like about the image. Simple, peaceful, just enough.

3eoren1Summer's Last Breath Colorful, fun. I wish the subject had a stronger impact, that one pinwheel was the focus, instead of a mess of them. But I like the shot and the feeling it gives.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    [*]So Much for Homework (shatch)
    I'm usually a huge fan of Steven's work, but this is not one of his best projects. Too many things are off. I guess too much efforts ("so much homework"?:-) can hurt even the brightest minds...

Thanks Nikolai for the honest feedback!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    DavidTO was kind enough to submit this feedback on his selections:

7LlywellynRekindled Wow, a lot of work went into this one, and it pays off. Nicely done.

I'm not sure I have the words to express how this makes me feel. Ebullient might work. iloveyou.gif Thank you, David.

Thank you to everyone who left comments about my photo and chose it for your top picks. The feedback and comments are all so valuable and keep pushing me to do better. I sincerely appreciate it. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    1. My Feedback for DSS M1

The Fifth Element (davev)
      I have no idea how a man on hospital bed manages to take a great pictures, but Dave for sure can pull it off. Very nice lighting. My only gripe is a weak theme compliance (the time is a fourth dimension :-)
    Thanks Nik.
    Although time maybe thought of as the 4th dimension, it is an element for everything that we do, and to everything that happens.

Unless you look through "The Big Picture" forum, part of Nik's message may have gotten lost.
    I had my left knee replaced on the 19th, and was in the hospital for 3 days.
    After I was released, and really still today, I'm not moving around all that well, so I thought that the "Time" element was really on topic.

I tried to keep this news away from the challenge forum in the hope that I didn't get any sympathy points.
    That may have worked to well.:D

A photo from Gimace.
    356448893_dsQhq-XL.jpg

Anyways, thanks to all of those that give feedback, I know it can take a lot of time and thought to do that.

Great challenge, and wait until next time.mwink.gif

P.S. I'm on a lot of pain meds, I hope this comes out making some sense.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Thanks Nik.
    Although time maybe thought of as the 4th dimension, it is an element for everything that we do, and to everything that happens.

Unless you look through "The Big Picture" forum, part of Nik's message may have gotten lost.
    I had my left knee replaced on the 19th, and was in the hospital for 3 days.
    After I was released, and really still today, I'm not moving around all that well, so I thought that the "Time" element was really on topic.

I tried to keep this news away from the challenge forum in the hope that I didn't get any sympathy points.
    That may have worked to well.:D

A photo from Gimace.

Anyways, thanks to all of those that give feedback, I know it can take a lot of time and thought to do that.

Great challenge, and wait until next time.mwink.gif

P.S. I'm on a lot of pain meds, I hope this comes out making some sense.

Here is praying for a speeding recovery to 100% Dave. By the way...I love the photo!!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    wow i thought Street Photography could be dangerous, but now i know hospitals are worse...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I'll try to get to feedback for the MC soon guys, I promise! I just need a bit of a break...:whew
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6