Options

> DSS Mega-Challenge #1 (The Elements): Feedback Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    H2O (richtersl): Calmness, serentity, and a very nifty mirror effect despite the question of "what in the world is that bird standing on?" since it's so unusual. I really like this, but it's a bit of a stretch for the theme.
    Thanks! iloveyou.gif That duck was standing on what appeared to be a tree branch or log. Regarding the theme interpretation-- water is composed of two elements: hydrogen and oxygen. It's also an element in astrology and in several ancient philosophies (Greek, Chinese, Japanese, etc). ne_nau.gif

Nikolai wrote:
    H2O (richtersl) Very nice, very clean shot. Great composition, lovely silhouette.
    Spassiboh! iloveyou.gif

DavidTO wrote:
    17richters!H20, an Essential Component of Life Again, bad title. The image is so simple and peaceful, yet the title is so over-thought and wordy. Anyway, that's what I like about the image. Simple, peaceful, just enough.
    Thanks, David! iloveyou.gif

I do agree that the title was on the hokey side. ne_nau.gif I thought about changing it, but plum forgot! 11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Here is praying for a speeding recovery to 100% Dave. By the way...I love the photo!!
    15524779-Ti.gif

Tell your knee to hurry up and heal. :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    Some feedback
    Congratulations to all on some fine work. This was not an easy theme, IMO. I found it interesting that vast majority chose to work with earth, air, fire and water rather than, say, carbon or helium. lol3.gif I probably would have done the same. Here's some fairly random feedback on a few of the shots. The number is the post and the order means nothing:

9 AaronNelson: What can I say? A new camera is the best feedback there is. bowdown.gifclap.gif

20 KurtPreston: The fire is exceptionally well exposed and the combination of colors and panoramic aspect give this shot a lot of punch. But the illusion of fire coming out of the dragon's mouth didn't work for me. A bit more work there and this would be terrific.

2 jeffreaux2: I'm fairly geeky, but I confess that I didn't get this one at first. I make it a point in themed challenges not to look at titles till later, since I think the images should speak for themselves. Nevertheless, I found the image intriguing, if enigmatic. Reading the title made it all fall into place. I like this image a lot and give Jeff kudos for stepping out of the earth, air, etc. concept.

21 Halite: Drop dead gorgeous. Lovely light, color and composition. The connection to the theme is a bit of a stretch.

16 VelvtRide: One of my favorites. Beautiful work--creepy and haunting. Another one that broke out of the mold. Given the title, I would have liked to seen a bit more lace.

19 Pemmett: The background is outstanding. I am ambivalent about the light on the girl, though I tend to think that a little less brightness would have helped. Creative interpretation of the theme.

13 Shatch: Fun shot. If you don't like the weather make some of your own. thumb.gif

3 eoren1: Joyous scene. Great color. Reminds me of Peter Max and Yellow Submarine somehow.

23 Curious Camel: Lovely, peaceful. Wonderful light.

11 Nikolai: Not lovely or peaceful. mwink.gif Cool goth shot, cool goth processing. But the connection to the theme is only through word play in the title.

Regards,
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Congratulations to all on some fine work. This was not an easy theme, IMO. I found it interesting that vast majority chose to work with earth, air, fire and water rather than, say, carbon or helium. lol3.gif I probably would have done the same. Here's some fairly random feedback on a few of the shots. The number is the post and the order means nothing:

2 jeffreaux2: I'm fairly geeky, but I confess that I didn't get this one at first. I make it a point in themed challenges not to look at titles till later, since I think the images should speak for themselves. Nevertheless, I found the image intriguing, if enigmatic. Reading the title made it all fall into place. I like this image a lot and give Jeff kudos for stepping out of the earth, air, etc. concept.

Regards,

Thanks Richard. I can understand not making the connection at first. This was my biggest fear with this image. My first choice for title was "Dubya", but after an additional cropping decided that most would never make the connection without a title that hinted at the periodic table. More on that in the "behind the scenes thread".

Did you also notice that of ALL of my contest and challenge entries here on DGrin that this was the very first that does not contain a person?

That also was "stepping out" for me....and yes I avoided the earth air thing figuring it to be well covered by others.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:

16 VelvtRide: One of my favorites. Beautiful work--creepy and haunting. Another one that broke out of the mold. Given the title, I would have liked to seen a bit more lace.

Thanks, Richard! I appreciate your feedback and work during this challenge!

The lace was the one item in the picture that I had trouble with positioning! Drove me batty - I tried it on her head, in the bg, around her wrist - nothing looked 'right' and I was just happy to get it in the picture by that point as frustrated as I was. lol3.gif
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    davev wrote:
    P.S. I'm on a lot of pain meds, I hope this comes out making some sense.

Mmmmm, pain meds.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    21 Halite: Drop dead gorgeous. Lovely light, color and composition. The connection to the theme is a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for the generous feedback. Your comments about the weak connection to the theme echo the feedback from jeffmeyers, SciurusNiger and Nikolai. I hear you all. When I looked back at the results of my efforts for the shoot period, however, the images with a stronger theme connection just didn't pop. ne_nau.gif

Thanks also to richtersl and KevXman for choosing my image in their favorites.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    19 Pemmett: The background is outstanding. I am ambivalent about the light on the girl, though I tend to think that a little less brightness would have helped. Creative interpretation of the theme.

Richard, Thank you for your feedback. I was looking at the image again this morning and was also thinking about how I could have improved the shot. Your point about the brightness is spot on. Thanks/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    20 KurtPreston: The fire is exceptionally well exposed and the combination of colors and panoramic aspect give this shot a lot of punch. But the illusion of fire coming out of the dragon's mouth didn't work for me. A bit more work there and this would be terrific.

First I have to hit the books and find out how to do properly what I was trying to accomplish :) Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    More Critiquing
    Earth, Wind and Fire (PaulThomasMckee) - Paul, I'm sorry but I just couldn't get into this one. And have no idea how to make the concept work.

Four Parts of Nature (pyroprints) - I like each individual shot well enough, but there is no common enough visual tie in between the different parts. And that killed it for me.

Arsenic and Old Lace (VelvtRide) - Just a few personal nits, I would have prefered a little more light on the upper part of her face and the hand was a little too soft looking.

H2O - An Essential Component of Life (richtersl) - I love the water color and quality, and the silhouette is quite nice. I think this could have used a much tighter crop though.

Memory Loss from Exposure (puzzledpaul) - Love the composition, lighting and the BW treatment. I also really like the exposure to the elements take.

Rain, Rain Go Away (pemmett) - My favorite ... and I am ever so slightly like Nick in that I am very jaded and hyper critical of kid shots. But I just love the wistful feeling here and the overall mood.

Breathing Fire (KurtPreston) - Why shouldn't I critique my own? Dragon still looks a bit pasted on, the fire is excellent except used too low a shutter speed so some of the fine detail is lost through motion blur. So close and yet so wasted an effort :)

More in a bit ...
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Just wanted to post my top 5:
    1. AaronNelson - Trial By Fire
    2. eoren1 - Summer's Last Breath
    3. Llywellyn - Rekindled
    4. puzzledpaul - Memory Loss from Exposure
    5. shatch - So Much for Homework

There were many very nice entries. I'm glad I didn't have to judge.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Thx to all who've made comments about my effort - esp. those who liked it ...

... looks like I'll be nipping into my workshop and turning up a wooden spoon for myself as they weren't part of the DG prize package :)

pp
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    My Feedback
    Sorry to have taken so long here with my feedback. You all worked so hard, and there were some fantastic entries for an extremely tricky theme. clap.gif

#2 - jeffreaux2 - Tungsten No. 74
    I totally appreciated the direction you went with this, and really thought there would be more entries along the same lines. Your composite work here is great and I love the earthy tones. For me it just wasn't quite there with visual impact. Maybe the close crop on the right, maybe the dead space to the left. A square crop might have made it stronger.

#3 - eoren1 - Summer's Last Breath
    Love the colors in this one. Just a happy, fun image. I think a single row of pinwheels may have made the image cleaner and had more impact, but that is still very nice.

#4 - JAG - Broken for Humanity
    I really like the message you were going for here. Unfortunately it felt as though you were trying to cram in too much to explain it. I think the bread and wine alone would have been enough. Nice clean shot though and the reflection is super nice.

#5 - jeffmeyers - The Human Elements
    Neat idea, just not quite there technically. The lighting choice is what is throwing it off most, I believe. Perhaps a spotlight on the couple with the rest falling into darkness (but visible enough to identify) would add some drama.

#6 - davev - The Fifth Element
    Lovely subject and great take on the theme. I think detail in the shadows of the hourglass would have helped and an aged (perhaps warmer) tone may have given this a little more feeling of "time".

#7 - Llywellyn - Rekindled
    Excellent work weaving a separate story in with the theme. The only suggestion I have for this is that I would prefer to see more color in the flame. As it is, the large white area draws away from the ice heart. Really nice otherwise.

#8 - dlplumer - Sonoran Monsoon
    Nice interpretation and a dramatic setting. I think a little more contrast may have helped here to give it more punch (overlay layer with reduced opacity perhaps). Even still this is a very difficult subject to really capture.

#9 - AaronNelson - Trial By Fire
    As soon as I saw this image, I said "wow". I love it. There may be minor nits technically, but on the whole, this image had the strongest impact for me.

#10 - fashiznitsngrins - Water - controls fire, formed in air, and feeds the earth
    Beautiful color and clarity. I love how the angles of each of the three background elements echo each other, resulting in a very clean image. Bang on theme and technically excellent.

#11 - Nikolai - An Element of Surprise
    Innovative take on the theme and kudos for producing a story within the theme. The grain definitely works, although I think you could back it off a touch and still maintain the message. The content is just one I'm not personally fond of (I hate horror movies), but it is well done regardless.

#12 - NikonsandVstroms - Maculation
    Very clever idea and layout. It's just missing something for me that I can't quite put my finger on.

#13 - shatch - So Much for Homework
    Once again you've managed to impress me with your extraordinary creativity. I especially like the oob treatment. The light source and color temp on the girl just weren't believable enough for me (she seems lit from underneath).

#14 - PaulThomasMcKee - Earth, Wind & Fire
    Clever idea and good execution. Just not as strong visually as some of the others.

#15 - pyroPrints.com - Four Parts of Nature
    This was kind of the obvious set up that came to mind for this theme. Very well done, although your flame could use a little more kapow (filling the frame perhaps).

#16 - VelvtRide - Arsenic and Old Lace
    Very nicely done and great take on the theme. Unfortunately for me, it's just one of those subject matters that don't appeal to me. I'll explain that a bit further, since I made a similar comment regarding Nikolai's image. Horror and death images/movies/songs for entertainment do nothing for me. Images that display or depict real pain, tragedy and emotion, I can connect with. Please though...never shoot to please my personal preferences. Shoot what you love!

#17 - richtersl - H20 - An Essential Component of Life
    Lovely peaceful image, great color, love the duck's pose. You made a great team. :D

#18 - puzzledpaul - Memory loss from exposure
    Strong message here and I thought you did very well interpreting "The Elements" by showing the effects of. The deep gouges in the stone I found disturbing or distracting. Maybe it's just my ignorance, but it seemed as though something other than weather had a hand in that (like poor workmanship perhaps).

#19 - pemmett - rain rain go away
    Great pose, great concept, all very well done. The light just isn't working however. Too bright, cold and harsh for her solemn mood.

#20 - KurtPreston - Breathing Fire
    Really neat concept. Looking at the exif though, I totally like the dragon itself in the original image better, tongue and all. The composite work is good. Just some other entries worked a little better here.

#21 - Halite - Water Lilies
    Gorgeous serene image. I love the sunlight and the unopened blooms. This image just seems to be so much more about the Lilies than the water.

#22 - SciurusNiger - Primordial
    Great message and the title works perfectly to push the message of the image. A little too centered, but still, nicely done.

#23 - The Curious Camel - Priceless
    Another lovely, peaceful image. It seems maybe a tad over saturated though. And I think you could take a little off either the top or bottom to off-center the horizon. Still, really nice.

#24 - Povertybarn - Field of Electricity
    I really like the mood in this. The grain works, but I'm finding the light in the trees to be a tad distracting.

#25 - photobrando - Earth, Wind, Fire and Water
    Basil, right? I love basil. Anyway, The composition here is just a little too scattered. Perhaps setting the lantern next to your plant and actually showing some dirt may have made this one stronger.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Sorry to have taken so long here with my feedback. You all worked so hard, and there were some fantastic entries for an extremely tricky theme. clap.gif
    Emily, thank you for your detailed feedback, appreciate your hard work! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Thanks, Em! Of all the things I painstakingly worked on, the color of the fire never even crossed my mind. That's pretty much SOOC and the one thing I didn't tweak! :giggle Amazing what a fresh perspective can bring. Thanks for bringing it my attention. thumb.gif
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    QUOTE=Greensquared]
    #23 - The Curious Camel - Priceless
    Another lovely, peaceful image. It seems maybe a tad over saturated though. And I think you could take a little off either the top or bottom to off-center the horizon. Still, really nice

Thank you Emily. I have about thirty different versions of this with crops and different degrees of saturation. I tried crops but just couldn't get the crop I wanted. I also tried different processing all together but finally decided on this with the help of my brother.

Peace, gail:D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008

#4 - JAG - Broken for Humanity
    I really like the message you were going for here. Unfortunately it felt as though you were trying to cram in too much to explain it. I think the bread and wine alone would have been enough. Nice clean shot though and the reflection is super nice.

Thanks Emily. It was a really tough theme and so many interpretations. I have learned alot from it though.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008

Broken for Humanity (JAG): Interesting choice of "elements" and very creative means of presenting them. I'm not thrilled with what feels a somewhat cluttered result, but honestly not sure how to better arrange so many items truly effectively.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thank you for taking the time to post critiques! They help tramendously
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    #17 - richtersl - H20 - An Essential Component of Life
    Lovely peaceful image, great color, love the duck's pose. You made a great team. :D

Thanks, Emily. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Thank you to the judges for the detailed critiques. I'm honored to have made it as far as I did.
    E
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    << #18 - puzzledpaul - Memory loss from exposure
    Strong message here and I thought you did very well interpreting "The Elements" by showing the effects of. The deep gouges in the stone I found disturbing or distracting. Maybe it's just my ignorance, but it seemed as though something other than weather had a hand in that (like poor workmanship perhaps). >>

Thx for this, Emily - appreciated.

I'm no stone mason, but am used to working with other materials like metal / wood - and (to my inexpert eyes) the workmanship on the non-eroded sections was very good - easy to see on some on the full-res frames.

Imo, a major contributing factor - apart from the angle of repose, allowing water to collect / freeze / thaw etc - was the use of material that was something less than ideal?

I saw no obvious evidence of 'tampering' - and thus thought it an excellent example of an object that'd been 'exposed to the elements'.

pp