it is official... 50d

ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited August 31, 2008 in Cameras

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Schweet clap.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Glad its finally official, IF i buy this, ill have a 30D as a backup, maybe then ill turn my Xti into an infrared camera...:D
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

edited August 26, 2008
    Glad its finally official, IF i buy this, ill have a 30D as a backup, maybe then ill turn my Xti into an infrared camera...:D

For me there is no question ... I'm shooting with a 10D - which I will
    continue to keep as a backup or 2nd camera when I buy a 50D.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • bobcanbobcan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I just saw a Unicorn...
    You guys beat me here.. I looked by accident as our Canon.ca site did not have the 1Ds....

Nice Rig!! thumb.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    headscratch.gifscratch the kit lens is an 18-200 IS. (new lens btw. discuss) Just seems so, well so pedestrian. Almost like they are trying to put the 50D to compete with superzooms. I can see an 18-200 kit with say the XSi or XTi, but the 50D? strange
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    This looks like a 15MP 40D that will go to ISO 12800, and not much else is different. Isn't it a bit soon to be releasing a 40D replacement? Or did I miss something here.
    Travis
    edited August 26, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    This looks like a 15MP 40D that will go to ISO 12800, and not much else is different. Isn't it a bit soon to be releasing a 40D replacement? Or did I miss something here.
    agree...maybe more of a 40DMkII? its basically what the 30D was to the 20D.

Oh the screen is 3" as is the 40D, but higher resolution.

It does seem an odd update, especially if you compare it to the D300 from Nikon
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    All of that's good, but I'm liking the potential offered by the mirco-focus adjustment.

Edit: I would have sworn I saw micro-focus adjustment listed in the specs on the Canon site - but I can't find it now. Poooh

But, you know what? It's not really official until B&H has them for sale!mwink.gif That's when things will start to get interesting for me. I'll have to decide if I want to sell off my 30D bodies and get a couple of these puppies. But, I won't be one of the early adopters - not with the problems Canon seems to be having lately with QC.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    oh wow!!

come on 5D MKII!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited August 26, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:

Just like the 40D looked like a 10MP 30D with 3" LCD and LV. :D
    ― Edward Weston
    edited August 26, 2008
    Looks like that direct to print button now has some functionality!! Doubles up as a live view button! mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited August 26, 2008
    For those interested, there is already a review by a swedish photographer on this site:
    (translated to english via google)
    http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=de&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://brutusbloggar.blogg.se/2008/august/falttest-av-canon-eos-50d.html&usg=ALkJrhhYAqOUdB79jnsCQKWfh4yQ9WVhpQ
    ― Edward Weston
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    For those interested, there is already a review of a swedish photographer on this site:
    (translated to english via google)
    http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=de&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://brutusbloggar.blogg.se/2008/august/falttest-av-canon-eos-50d.html&usg=ALkJrhhYAqOUdB79jnsCQKWfh4yQ9WVhpQ
    Ah, reading that I'm cautiously optimistic. Faster and more accurate AF.

And, down at the bottom of the review, a reference to AF micro adjustment for up to 20 different lenses. But, the question is, does the micro-adjustment refer to a pre-production model or to a production camera?

I'm starting to get a little more excited.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    headscratch.gifscratch the kit lens is an 18-200 IS. (new lens btw. discuss) Just seems so, well so pedestrian. Almost like they are trying to put the 50D to compete with superzooms. I can see an 18-200 kit with say the XSi or XTi, but the 50D? strange

I think this was a very smart move on Canon's part. They have had the same kit lens on this camera as they had on their X-lines. This new kit lens will be more $$ than the old one, and will add a bit more separation between the 40D and the X-series. The 50D's predecessors have always been viewed as a slight step below the Nikon D300 series. I think this new kit lens helps close that gap a bit. Because the 40D is on an entirely different plane than the x-series, as the 50D will be.
    edited August 26, 2008
    I think this was a very smart move on Canon's part. They have had the same kit lens on this camera as they had on their X-lines. This new kit lens will be more $$ than the old one, and will add a bit more separation between the 40D and the X-series. The 50D's predecessors have always been viewed as a slight step below the Nikon D300 series. I think this new kit lens helps close that gap a bit. Because the 40D is on an entirely different plane than the x-series, as the 50D will be.

Really? you think an 18-200 zoom helps close the gap with the D300? Seems to me that it takes it the other direction...closer to consumer models. I can see them combining it with the 17-55 or maybe the 24-70 IS (where is that announcement?), but 18-200 just baffles me.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I like that the live view has AF now.
    auto correction of vignetting?
    Don't have to go into menu to get to ISO 3200. Hopefully won't lose ISO 100 when turning on Highlight Tone Priority.
    Doesn't look like that big of an upgrade but it's definitely something I find myself considering. Run it besides my 40D and lose the XTi. The 5D replacement is what I'm more interested in seeing. They keep toying with us.
    Seems weird though if the 40D was just released in August 2007.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/
    Placed alongside the 40D, it's hard not to wonder whether it would have been faster to use PhotoShop than to photograph them alongside one another. We've heard few complaints about the 40D's design, however - perhaps Canon's decision not to make changes simply for their own sake, is justifiable.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited August 26, 2008
    I am guessing the 50D is to keep up with the Joneses and the 5D mk II will be revolutionary! Why dilute the anticipation by spreading the hype with the 50D and 5D mk II, when focus all the real updates with the 5D mk II?

Still looks great though.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Well the thought process leading me to believe that the 5D replacement has to be better than the 50D feels very nice.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Definitely time to get more high capacity CF cards for this camera, especially those who shoot RAW.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Really? you think an 18-200 zoom helps close the gap with the D300? Seems to me that it takes it the other direction...closer to consumer models.

I don't think that's a bad thing. Canon needs to sell cameras. I suspect more of these mid-range cameras are bought by less serious shooters who just want a cool camera, vs those who have a number of lenses and have an interest in photography beyond point-and-shoot.

I was encouraged by the Swedish photographer's blog. He didn't like the WB, so no improvement there - but it makes him sound honest. However, he raves that it's the best AF on any DSLR - nice!

I'll be very interested to see the actual reviews. It looks like time to put some stuff on eBay and get some cash flow going. :D
    edited August 26, 2008
    The official sample images @ ISO 100,400 and 1600 are to be found here:
    http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eos50d/eos50d_sample-e.html
    ― Edward Weston
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Naaaaice! clap.gif

What caught my eye:
    1. higher MP count (sometimes you need to impress your customers, you know;-)
    2. much higher ISO (I understand the concept of "extension", yet still;-)
    3. far more usable Live View - and finally some nice usage for the dreaded DirectPrint button
    4. physical compatibility with 40D (grips, plates, batteries)
    5. faster/better AF
    6. improved screen (VGA vs CGA)
    7. improved buffer (and I don't care it's 0.4 fps slower at this rate)
    All in all, looks like my next body....mwink.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I think there is a market for it. I went on the local WorldWide PhotoWalk Saturday... there were a lot of Nikons with 18-200 lens. I had to (chose to) change lenses a couple times. Those with the 18-200s didn't have to. I found myself thinking it would be cool to have one good walkaround lens...for my Canon cameras. rolleyes1.gif

ps... I think they are marketing it with the 50d, just because it is new also.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    cmason wrote:

From the official press release, the kit lens is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM:

The Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR camera is scheduled for October delivery and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated selling price of $1,399.00*. It will additionally be offered in a kit version with Canon's EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens at an estimated selling price of $1,599.00*.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    I think there is a market for it. I went on the local WorldWide PhotoWalk Saturday... there were a lot of Nikons with 18-200 lens. I had to (chose to) change lenses a couple times. Those with the 18-200s didn't have to. I found myself thinking it would be cool to have one good walkaround lens...for my Canon cameras.

Sigma has had a nice 18-200mm lens (with image stabilization) for Canon cameras out for some time now. I wondered when Canon would produce their own.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I just ordered another 40D last week, but no worries, I'll love it. The 50D is almost 500 bucks more at B&H anyway, and is not anticipated to be in stock until October.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited August 26, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    From the official press release, the kit lens is the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM:

The Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR camera is scheduled for October delivery and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated selling price of $1,399.00*. It will additionally be offered in a kit version with Canon's EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens at an estimated selling price of $1,599.00*.

Not a bad deal, kid price $1,599... body $1,399 and lens $699... buy the kit, sell the lens if you don't want to use it... oops... I was thinking the kit lens was the 18-200, read last night that it would be a kit option, missed that you noted the 23-135.
    edited August 26, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    Sigma has had a nice 18-200mm lens (with image stabilization) for Canon cameras out for some time now. I wondered when Canon would produce their own.
    The Sigma is a nice lens, I played with it a bit at the local photography store before Christmas 2007.. chose to get the 70-200 f4 instead. No, I don't regret it. mwink.gif
    edited August 26, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    The Sigma is a nice lens, I played with it a bit at the local photography store before Christmas 2007.. chose to get the 70-200 f4 instead. No, I don't regret it. mwink.gif

Not saying a 18-200 isn't a nice lens or good to have. Typically, a 18-200 is a 'one lens' offering, basically a single lens to do everything, so you dont have to change lenses. It typically gives up image quality to make up for the range. Again, this kind of range is typical for a buyer who wants a good camera but isnt interested in changing lenses.

I think that the buyer who will get just one lens on his dSLR would be in the market more for a XTi/XSi than a 50D. That is what I was saying: not that the lens doesn't make sense (it does, good on Canon), but that pairing historically amateur lens with a semi-pro camera was odd.

Anyway, looks like it was mis-information anyway, thanks
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Not saying a 18-200 isn't a nice lens or good to have. Typically, a 18-200 is a 'one lens' offering, basically a single lens to do everything, so you dont have to change lenses. It typically gives up image quality to make up for the range. Again, this kind of range is typical for a buyer who wants a good camera but isnt interested in changing lenses.

I was hoping for the 18-200, but wanted it to be a slightly higher quality lens, have the USM AF motor, similar to the 18-200 Nikon produces. What they made does not make me very interested based on the lack of manual focus override with the AF on. It would not be a primary lens, but one I would use when shooting candids or when I know I need to go from wide to tele very quickly to get the shot.

I also wish the megapixel growth would not always take precedence (I do like it in the 5D and 1Ds series). I like the 50D, but don't need that big a file all the time, again for candids and shots that will probably never be printed larger than 8x10. I would rather have even better high ISO files, more dynamic range, faster buffer, better auto white balance, etc. I am interested to see the new screen. I also wish they would spread out some of the AF points, as Nikon has done with the D300. This announcement makes me think about getting a D300, 18-200 and SB900 combo, but I still like my 5D and will probably be very happy with the 5D mkII. That is another reason I don't need high mpx from my candids camera, I can grab my 5D or replacement to get high mpx shots if needed. Hopefully we will hear about the 5D replacement soon and see some more samples from the 50D at high isos.