rolleyes1.gif
    yeah... did you pre-order the 50d?

maybe a 40d would be good... get the "Next" 5dwings.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    yeah... did you pre-order the 50d?
    no, not yet, I'll see how the prices are gonna be. You can usually shave a Franklin or two if you shop around.
    maybe a 40d would be good... get the "Next" 5dwings.gif
    That too, but it's not out yet, is it? mwink.gif
    I'm planning on having one FF body (5DmkII) and one APC with EF-S support, 50D in this case. Currently I own two 40D bodies.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm selling one of my 40D bodies mwink.gif Anybody wants one?rolleyes1.gif
    Ignore my question on your Flea Market post. I saw the 40D for sale before I saw this thread :smack
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    I had an e-mail from one of the UK shops today about the 50D, body only is £1199 c\w 8gb extremeIII compact flash card and a 'Gadget Bag' or £1499 with the 17-85mm IS lense c\w the cf card and gadget bag.

My question is, is it a replacement for the 40D or a new camera in its own range??

Tim
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    I had an e-mail from one of the UK shops today about the 50D, body only is £1199 c\w 8gb extremeIII compact flash card and a 'Gadget Bag' or £1499 with the 17-85mm IS lense c\w the cf card and gadget bag.

My question is, is it a replacement for the 40D or a new camera in its own range??

Tim

The official Canon press release states it is NOT a replacement. The 40D will continue as part of the product line.
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    no, not yet, I'll see how the prices are gonna be. You can usually shave a Franklin or two if you shop around.

That too, but it's not out yet, is it? mwink.gif
    I'm planning on having one FF body (5DmkII) and one APC with EF-S support, 50D in this case. Currently I own two 40D bodies.
    Not "yet" but I "heard" it will be "soon." wings.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    Not "yet" but I "heard" it will be "soon." wings.gif
    Then we'll get it, too mwink.gif
    I like an idea of having one APC (which can use my nice collection of EF-S glass) for backup/sport/tele + one FF for wide angle / portrait work.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Big deal!

The 40D wasn't needing replacement as bad as the 5D or the 1DMKIII for that matter.

More pixels...bah! rolleyes1.gif

More dynamic range and better AF would excite me. deal.gif

For those with a 30D or older it might be a good way to go...I'll keep my 40D and wait for something more exciting to come along.
  • mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    More dynamic range and better AF would excite me. deal.gif

Reading the blog from the Swedish photographer, he said the AF was the best he'd ever used. And, the Auto Lighting Optimizer seems to improve dynamic range. I'll await the reviews to see how well all this works, but it sounds like it might just meet your critieria.
  • jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    canons new 50D and 5d
    canon just released a news press about the new 50D and 5D chec it out at www.canonusa.com thanks jovitta. It looks like a winner.clap.gifclap.gif :ivar
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
    edited August 26, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Then we'll get it, too mwink.gif
    I like an idea of having one APC (which can use my nice collection of EF-S glass) for backup/sport/tele + one FF for wide angle / portrait work.
    thumb.gif
    wow, that setup will work for me!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited August 26, 2008
    jovitta wrote:
    canon just released in the www.canonusa.com press that the new 50d will come out in oct. I read the specs on it it looks like a winner. jovitta.

I merged this into the existing thread.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I am getting excited over the 50D too, but 5d mk II comes first then the 50D as a backup... heheh planning!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I like the feature w/ the face detection up to 35 faces looking at the camera. evan in low light. jovitta
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Reading the blog from the Swedish photographer, he said the AF was the best he'd ever used. And, the Auto Lighting Optimizer seems to improve dynamic range. I'll await the reviews to see how well all this works, but it sounds like it might just meet your critieria.

Thanks, Frank. I'll take a look.:D
    edited August 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm selling one of my 40D bodies mwink.gif Anybody wants one?rolleyes1.gif

how much are you selling it for?
    edited August 31, 2008
    video of 50d in action
    Manfr3d wrote:
    For those interested, there is already a review by a swedish photographer on this site:
    (translated to english via google)
    http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=de&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://brutusbloggar.blogg.se/2008/august/falttest-av-canon-eos-50d.html&usg=ALkJrhhYAqOUdB79jnsCQKWfh4yQ9WVhpQ
    same guy, video on youTube
  • tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    This will be a tremendous upgrade to my 30d! I need those higher ISO's for shooting in low light sports and I can't justify buying a Mark III right now so this camera hits the spot! I also need to get that 17-55mm 2.8 IS EF-S lens to and it will be a match made in heaven. :D
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    I'll wait till the reviews are out. We'll see what the performance is at those super high sensitivities and otherwise.

And then wait till they have most of the gremlins beaten out of the bushes - and then go for a barely used 40D lol3.gif

(what I did after the 40D popped up, went for a used 20D)
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    Can't wait to see the 40D go down even lower in price! rolleyes1.gif