5D successor info from VERY reliable source

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 30, 2008 in Cameras
Announcement at Photokina. I have a bunch of rough specs, but I'm not sure how much they really mean. The high level:
  1. Roughly $3k
  2. Resolution in the high teens
  3. Higher ISO @ lower noise
  4. 14 bit capture and better dynamic range
  5. Weather sealing
  6. HD video

Basically, taking on Nikon head-to-head. Surprise.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    Announcement at Photokina. I have a bunch of rough specs, but I'm not sure how much they really mean. The high level:
    1. Roughly $3k
    2. Resolution in the high teens
    3. Higher ISO @ lower noise
    4. 14 bit capture and better dynamic range
    5. Weather sealing
    6. HD video

HD video as in LCD screen or Video capture? rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Capture I think, but we are going to find out, aren't we?
    If not now, when?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I think we are going to get to the point where image quality becomes a moot point and selling points will be in camera processing like CA and lens distortion will be added features. These are exciting times in the camera world.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    I think we are going to get to the point where image quality becomes a moot point and selling points will be in camera processing like CA and lens distortion will be added features. These are exciting times in the camera world.

Dynamic range. I don't even want to think about exposure at shoot time. I want to shoot a sunset and get the details from the deep shadows and the sunspots at the same time. There's plenty of entertainment left for the camera manufacturers before this goal is reached.

There is a similar goal related to focus. No focus at shoot time. Every possible focal setting available at post time. I believe this goal is even more entertaining for the camera engineers.
    If not now, when?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 27, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    Dynamic range. I don't even want to think about exposure at shoot time. I want to shoot a sunset and get the details from the deep shadows and the sunspots at the same time. There's plenty of entertainment left for the camera manufacturers before this goal is reached.

There is a similar goal related to focus. No focus at shoot time. Every possible focal setting available at post time. I believe this goal is even more entertaining for the camera engineers.
    15524779-Ti.gif Precisely. We have more megapixels than most of us need, but dynamic range is the biggest single problem for me. As for focus adjustment in post, that would require altogether new technology. I know work is being done in this area, but I think it's going to be a long time before we see real-world products. In the meantime, improved AF and lens-specific microfocus settings are valuable.

HD video capture? WTF? Some marketing geniuses need to be taken out and shot.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Maybe HD Video is video output, like 1080p HDMI to view photos on a HD TV? when are they getting rid of the useless NTSC output?
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Maybe HD Video is video output, like 1080p HDMI to view photos on a HD TV? when are they getting rid of the useless NTSC output?

Like the HDMI output on the new 50D.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    My guess is that Canon play along the lines of the 50D. Alot more MP
    (20 or so) and the new bells (Digic 4, VGA LCD, Improved LiveView, etc.)
    so that the pros finaly get small ff hires body. But what do I care, I coudn't
    affort one anyway :)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I've been waiting patiently since I need another camera body. My 20d is aged and my 5d is my favorite. I love what I spit out of that camera.

My business has grown and it's time to get another body. Here's the real deal. All the guessing and wishing on every photography website and chat board don't mean anything until you see it officially from Canon on their website.

Then we can have a real discussion instead of all the wishlists that don't amount to a hill of beans. In the mean time, I'm making what I have do for now.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    hmmm... you heard some of the stuff i did. did your reliable source mention the letter "n" as part of the name?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    hmmm... you heard some of the stuff i did. did your reliable source mention the letter "n" as part of the name?
    I think it will just be called 5D Mark II for some reason....
    edited August 28, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    All the guessing and wishing on every photography website and chat board don't mean anything until you see it officially from Canon on their website.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    ivar wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    Bwahahahahahaaa you have got to love the 5 star review on the Barnes & Noble site:

Amazing Guide
    A reviewer, A reviewer, 08/24/2008
    Recently got the Canon 5D II as a birthday present and needed a good field book so I can understand it. With so many features of Canon 5D II that I love,, I had to buy this book. Would highly recommend.
    rolleyes1.gif
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif
    Bwahahahahahaaa you have got to love the 5 star review on the Barnes & Noble site:

Amazing Guide
    A reviewer, A reviewer, 08/24/2008
    Recently got the Canon 5D II as a birthday present and needed a good field book so I can understand it. With so many features of Canon 5D II that I love,, I had to buy this book. Would highly recommend.
    rolleyes1.gif
    That is sooooo funny/sad - a review of a book that is yet to be released on a camera that is also yet to be released. rolleyes1.gif And that's why I soooo trust on-line reviews at places like eopinion and B&Ndeal.gif :ivar wings.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 28, 2008
    rutt wrote:

I remember talking about these a few years ago when you were going to that MIT course (I still have the notes).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited August 28, 2008
    That is sooooo funny/sad - a review of a book that is yet to be released on a camera that is also yet to be released. rolleyes1.gif And that's why I soooo trust on-line reviews at places like eopinion and B&Ndeal.gif :ivar wings.gifrolleyes1.gif

Dude! Those are legit reviews! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    If you track down the source of the book, you will find "evidence"
    that it was posted as a "placeholder" into a book database that
    happens to feed amazon and other sites. If it was a legit database
    entry canon would've put in some effort to get the book delisted, or not?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    We have more megapixels than most of us need, but dynamic range is the biggest single problem for me. .

AMEN! I wish this megapixel race would end and they would perfect things like dynamic range instead.
    edited August 28, 2008
    I think they should be working on the dynamic range and then market the upgrade of dynamic range, affordability, responsiveness, and AF accuracy and speed. Since it is mainly professionals who use the 5D. At least that's what I think.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    1. Roughly $3k (Don't Care) headscratch.gif
    2. Resolution in the high teens (We'll See) rolleyes1.gif
    3. Higher ISO @ lower noise (We'll See) rolleyes1.gif
    4. 14 bit capture and better dynamic range (We'll See) rolleyes1.gif
    5. Weather sealing (Good!) thumb.gif
    6. HD video (Don't Care) headscratch.gif

Nothing on FPS or AF? ne_nau.gif
    Jury is still out, even after 50D announcement :cry
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I like 5d mark ii better, but when I asked a Canon dealer about the new 5d mk ii, he said "n" "or whatever it ends up being." I was shocked that he seemed to correct me to the "n" ... I asked if it would be 16, he said 15.5. Too many around to ask more then... but I am going to talk to him this weekend, when less people are around, hope for more info. ;)

ps...I got to wondering if he meant the 50d, not the new 5d, was going to be 15.5, that is how I found the 50d online.

I am looking forward to mid-October. wings.gif
    edited August 28, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:
    I like 5d mark ii better, but when I asked a Canon dealer about the new 5d mk ii, he said "n" "or whatever it ends up being." I was shocked that he seemed to correct me to the "n" ...
    The 'n' was used several times with the eos film cameras (I have a 500n, for instance) to indicate a new version of a camera. Not so much with the digital eos cameras as far as I know ne_nau.gif
    edited August 28, 2008
    I would rather have it called Te-D. Best Camera Name EVER!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    AMEN! I wish this megapixel race would end and they would perfect things like dynamic range instead.

I was hoping that it actually had ended. It seem that people were settling on 10 to 12 megapixels. And while that's bigger than most of them need it's not a crazy amount. And then we had Nikon putting out a camera with 12 great megapixels. And even in the point-and-shoot market 10 megapixels seem to have become a standard. Panasonic said with one of their point-and-shoot cameras that they work in a stop at that level and work on image quality above all else. Then In this last month we've seen tons of cameras going over 12 megapixels that have no need to be anywhere near that.

Hopefully in the next year to one of these companies will smarten up a little bit and decided to use all these great advancements in sensor technology that allow for a 15.5 megapixel APS C. to have good dynamic range and high iso onto a lower megapixel sponsor for some serious fun
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    Gizmodo says:

* 21.1 MP 1.0x
    * DIGIC IV
    * ISO 100-6400 L:50 & H:12800
    * 5 FPS
    * 3.2" High Resolution Screen (LCD)
    * 19 point AF
    * HDMI Out
    * Liveview
    * HD Movie Mode
    * Viewfinder: 100% Coverage
    * Full weather sealing
    * EF Lenses only
    edited August 28, 2008
    Is it called Canon Te-D?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Jim VictoryJim Victory Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I wouldn't mine having one with those specs minus the HD Movie Mode. I will not buy a DSLR with Movie Mode.:pissed
    Jim
    Canon Equipment
    http://www.victoryphoto.net
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,081 moderator
    edited August 28, 2008
    Is it called Canon Te-D?

You probably tickle yourself every time you type that, don't you? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008
    I wouldn't mine having one with those specs minus the HD Movie Mode. I will not buy a DSLR with Movie Mode.:pissed

Why not?

I did not even really realize my G9 had a movie mode when I bought it, but I find it useful from time to time for short video segments. It is not a video camera, but video can be really informative at times.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 29, 2008
    Any idea about frame rates, John?

The current 5D is kind of a weak sister in that department ( a 5D is my main camera body, so no flames pleasethumb.gif:D )
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin