Class anybody?

2»

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    I will attend for sure unless there is an emergency
    pyrtek wrote:
    I'm sorry, but do you really think you're competent enough to be teaching this
    stuff? Judging by your latest posts, you seem to be still learning how to light
    and how to direct your models. It seems a bit arrogant to be thinking of teaching
    where you are clearly still the student. Maybe have a look at what people like
    Platon are doing with portraiture before assuming you have any skills at all in
    the genre. Note that he is basically using one extremely simple lighting
    scheme for 95% of his world famous portraits. Do you think it's the technical
    that makes him the photographer he is? Please have a little bit of humility.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    If I were you, I would consider recalling this post…<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm a Sandan in Goju Ryu, a shodan in Shotokan, and a shodan in Jujitsu. I’ve charged people to teach them martial arts, just as I pay to learn martial arts. Passion is a life long commitment, no matter what it is. You are always learning until the day you die. <o:p></o:p>
    I'm considered a master in both of my fields of expertise, (Karate and computers). Do I know everything? No. Can I teach what I know and charge, definitely.<o:p></o:p>
    Just from the assignments Nikolai has posted, I've dramatically improved my shooting. I would, without a doubt, pay Nikolai to learn from him.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Is he the best in the business? Probably not, but he has a strong grasp of the fundamentals. We all could use a little refinement in our technique.<o:p></o:p>

Different perspectives, to pick and choose from and formulate your own style? You can't charge enough for that.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    We can try web cast:-) rolleyes1.gif

I hope that isn't a joke, Nic. I'd love to participate but can't make the trip in the near future. Hope you consider a web cast.

Anyhow, I think it is a great idea and will be a lot of fun for those who can attend. And educational too, of course.

Virginia

Email
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    posing techniques (with models)
    I'd be so down with a web cast!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I hope that isn't a joke, Nic. I'd love to participate but can't make the trip in the near future. Hope you consider a web cast.

Anyhow, I think it is a great idea and will be a lot of fun for those who can attend. And educational too, of course.

Virginia
    Well, I meant it as joke originally, but if enough people get interested and I can get some help in setting it up (I *never* "casted" anything before myself, so I plain don't know how to do it) - why not?
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Great idea, Steve. mwink.gif

Can you incorporate Disneyland in the training somehow?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Good for you Nik. I think you're on the right track. There are plenty who can gain from your experiences. Heck, look how great this forum has been. A pinpointed seminar of a specific interest is a no brainer.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited September 3, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Good for you Nik. I think you're on the right track. There are plenty who can gain from your experiences. Heck, look how great this forum has been. A pinpointed seminar of a specific interest is a no brainer.
    Thanks, Steve! ;-)mwink.gif
  • noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    various light setups
    I'd be interested in attending.
    edited September 3, 2008
    noeltykay wrote:
    I'd be interested in attending.
    Yay! And you're local, so for you it will be really easy! thumb.gif
  • noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    various light setups
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yay! And you're local, so for you it will be really easy! thumb.gif

Yes, I am. And I take lots, and lots of people pictures...I need to stop lurking here and start posting more.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    I'm sorry, but do you really think you're competent enough to be teaching this
    stuff? Judging by your latest posts, you seem to be still learning how to light
    and how to direct your models. It seems a bit arrogant to be thinking of teaching
    where you are clearly still the student. Maybe have a look at what people like
    Platon are doing with portraiture before assuming you have any skills at all in
    the genre. Note that he is basically using one extremely simple lighting
    scheme for 95% of his world famous portraits. Do you think it's the technical
    that makes him the photographer he is? Please have a little bit of humility.

Seems like that's the point of this post-- to see if there is interest in a class like this. The beauty of capitalism is anyone can hang out a shingle and let the market decide if they want to support them.

In other words, it sounds like you're not interested in the class but others are. Strange how that works, eh? I personally can't stand cheap beer like PBR, but obviously that doesn't mean PBR doesn't have a massive market. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    posing techniques (with models)
    Only 6 hours driving to LA. Where do I sign up? thumb.gif
    edited September 3, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    In other words, it sounds like you're not interested in the class but others are. Strange how that works, eh? I personally can't stand cheap beer like PBR, but obviously that doesn't mean PBR doesn't have a massive market. :D
    Oh for God sakes, Pete, if you go for an alcohol analogy do me a favor and compare me at least with Stoly (and I understand I'm not a Grey Goose yet:-) mwink.gif
    edited September 3, 2008
    Only 6 hours driving to LA. Where do I sign up? thumb.gif
    Laughing.gif, thanks! thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I might attend, but I don't know yet
    This would be a lot of fun and very informative, Nikolai. I would be happy to attend. After too many years away from a studio, I need to brush up. . . . A lot! :D

Thank you for this opportunity! clap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited September 3, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    This would be a lot of fun and very informative, Nikolai. I would be happy to attend. After too many years away from a studio, I need to brush up.

Thank you for this opportunity! clap.gif
    Wow! thumb.gif
    It would be an honor to have you! bowdown.gif