Excited!

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited September 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all,

I just wanted to say how fantastic you all are and that I really can't wait to see what you've come up with for this theme. I just know it's going to be tough to pick just ten (as it always is)! Keep up the good work and supporting each other. You guys make this one awesome place! :clap :lust
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    You make it awesome. Thankful to you and Erik for the revival of the challenges.

Peace always, gail:D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    You make it awesome. Thankful to you and Erik for the revival of the challenges.

Peace always, gail:D
    We really are lucky. +1 Gail, Emily (and Erik too) are the best. I'll take this opportunity to say this, no, SHOUT THIS!
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Of course Andy you are to. wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
    I am thankful to all of you for being part of this awesome place.

Peace, gail
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    The knowledge I've learned here from the judges to the volunteers to the members have increased my photography skills a hundred fold.

All hail the site, the volunteers and the members! clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    The knowledge I've learned here from the judges to the volunteers to the members have increased my photography skills a hundred fold.

All hail the site, the volunteers and the members! clap.gif
    Thanks. It's folks like you (love watching your progress!) that make it all worthwhile. Keep it up, Velvt - your posting made my night and undid a half-dozen crappy emails got today :Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks. It's folks like you (love watching your progress!) that make it all worthwhile. Keep it up, Velvt - your posting made my night and undid a half-dozen crappy emails got today :Dclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

crappy e-mails and such......umph.gif

go work somemore of those sierra shots...and turn off e-mail, cellphone, etc, etc...

cant wait to see them from everyone...!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 2, 2008
    Hi all,

I just wanted to say how fantastic you all are and that I really can't wait to see what you've come up with for this theme. I just know it's going to be tough to pick just ten (as it always is)! Keep up the good work and supporting each other. You guys make this one awesome place! clap.gifiloveyou.gif

well hello stranger, its weird that your not in much discussion within challenge threads due to you being a judge and all...kinda miss ya around...

(did that score any brownie points? cuz i can do it all night...no not really, im off for the night...later )

Aaron Nelson
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I was very skeptical at the beginning of this "season" of DPS as to if last years season of "LPS" could really be improved upon. How you anybody improve on something that awesome eek7.gif

let's put it this way - I am no longer a skeptic, but rather a fully committed photography masochist and loving every painful moment I see a theme being published:whip

Thank you Emily, Erik and Andy iloveyou.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:

:sweet

Thanks for noticing - I'm glad it's showing! wings.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    ...a half-dozen crappy emails
    I wouldn't know... :hide

keep up the good work everyone thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Well you've certainly enticed me to return to the challenges Emily, your enthusiam is infectious and I've enjoyed watching the progress of the new competition.

Charlie
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I was with the skeptics in the beginning as well, but your work, Emily, along with Erik's steadily won me over. These contests made me explore an entire new realm of photography for me, one that I completely fell in love with. And now I'm pushing myself again to learn new techniques and experiment. I'm a happy (and oh so frustrated mwink.gif) photographer again. :D

Thanks for all you do to keep this going. iloveyou.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Emily has done an exceptional job of resurrecting these challenges. clap.gif

But she couldn't have done it without a good support system. mwink.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    You know, it is odd to not be able to read the input posts, but then come judging time, it's like Christmas every two weeks. Each entry is its own little parcel of pixely sweetness! :D
    Emily

edited September 3, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Emily has done an exceptional job of resurrecting these challenges. clap.gif

But she couldn't have done it without a good support system. mwink.gif

That is totally the truth! Erik is awesome and does so much in the background. Andy and the other mods around here provide amazing support. clap.gif

I just love this place and am so thrilled that you guys are enjoying the new themes. Be prepared for some surprising twists that really stretch your imagination.iloveyou.gif
    Emily

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Yep, great energy, healthy competition and honest critiques. I'm loving it.clap.gif
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    You know, it is odd to not be able to read the input posts, but then come judging time, it's like Christmas every two weeks. Each entry is its own little parcel of pixely sweetness! :D

What a great list this is. Thank you for your dedication and hard work, especially putting up with weasels like me. rolleyes1.gif

So what do you mean that you are "not able to read the input posts"? I guess I'm not up on how you guys administer and judge the challenges. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited September 3, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    What a great list this is. Thank you for your dedication and hard work, especially putting up with weasels like me. rolleyes1.gif

So what do you mean that you are "not able to read the input posts"? I guess I'm not up on how you guys administer and judge the challenges. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Well, I guess I am able, I just don't. I'm referring to the threads asking for opinions prior to the close of the challenge. You see, there is a difference in viewing someone's work for a week ahead, seeing their other possibilties and everyone else's opinion vs. having all the entries hit me full impact at one time. People often wonder why I don't see things how they saw them, and that's because I see all the entries on what I consider a more level playing field. Make sense?

I suggest trying it sometime. Stay out of all threads until the close of the challenge, then go and look at them all at once. See how they impact you like that, rather than seeing them trickle in one at a time even.
    Emily

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Well, I guess I am able, I just don't. I'm referring to the threads asking for opinions prior to the close of the challenge. You see, there is a difference in viewing someone's work for a week ahead, seeing their other possibilties and everyone else's opinion vs. having all the entries hit me full impact at one time. People often wonder why I don't see things how they saw them, and that's because I see all the entries on what I consider a more level playing field. Make sense?

I suggest trying it sometime. Stay out of all threads until the close of the challenge, then go and look at them all at once. See how they impact you like that, rather than seeing them trickle in one at a time even.

Yeah, that makes very good sense. I've often wondered how posting options to the list might affect another's first impression or even the "impact" of the image when it is finally posted in the challenge.

Thanks for taking the time to explain!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited September 3, 2008
    is it JAG's turn to judge this time?.
    Aaron Nelson
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008

I appreciate you doing it this way Emily, and let me add my thanks as well clap.gif
    edited September 3, 2008

i would do the same thing, you get more of a pure Wow punch that way....
    though sometimes i dont get attached to a shot the first time around, and when that happens i tend to start liking it more and more over alot of my original favorites....ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 3, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:

As Emily pointed out, you just stay out of any threads associated with the challenge you're judging. This is why you haven't seen Joyce (JAG) posting too much recently. She and Emily are the judges for the current challenge.

As one who just finished judging the previous one with Emily, it wasn't easy staying out of the associated threads until the end. But it was well worth the wait. Seeing the entries in their entirety was pretty neat -- completely different from checking the thread periodically.
    edited September 3, 2008
    is it JAG's turn to judge this time?.
    Yep.
    edited September 3, 2008
    Be prepared for some surprising twists that really stretch your imagination.iloveyou.gif

:uhoh
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    What can you say, that has not already been said...EXCEPT again, KUDOS for a fantastic job!

Although at times we may not agree, and we agree to disagree, I do like the idea that the judges DO NOT go into the threads, this beyond a shadow of a doubt continues to prove to me that it is not a Popularity Contest, of course there are many ways you could get around that, but I am and will continue to have faith in integrity and for fairness !!

I also like the idea that Erik has made people NOT put titles in the threads, which could be an easy way for judges to know whose photo is whose. KUDOS Doc. wings.gif

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008

Oh Emily, you are way to chipper! Hopefully we won't do anything to screw that up in the coming months. rolleyes1.gif Thanks for all that you are doing to continue this great experience!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 3, 2008
    Hi all,

I just wanted to say how fantastic you all are and that I really can't wait to see what you've come up with for this theme. I just know it's going to be tough to pick just ten (as it always is)! Keep up the good work and supporting each other. You guys make this one awesome place! clap.gifiloveyou.gif

I hear ya Emily!
    I have been staying clear of all the threads and its killing me with curiosity to see what they are all doing!!!headscratch.gif

I just hope that they all do not forget who I am and I sure do miss reading and commenting and posting. I have had a chance to go to other boards here though and posted a few things on those boards.:D
    edited September 3, 2008
    i can tell you that your work is cut out for thee judges...(as usual)
    but this time i think the B&W sure makes it very hard to select favorites...
    and so many different treatments of B&W, its amazing....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited September 3, 2008
    i can tell you that your work is cut out for thee judges...(as usual)
    but this time i think the B&W sure makes it very hard to select favorites...
    and so many different treatments of B&W, its amazing....

Oh now you're just teasing me!
    Emily