2»

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    yes, but still:D , great work to look forward in seeing:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    i can tell you that your work is cut out for thee judges...(as usual)
    but this time i think the B&W sure makes it very hard to select favorites...
    and so many different treatments of B&W, its amazing....

I totally agree. clap.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    i can tell you that your work is cut out for thee judges...(as usual)
    but this time i think the B&W sure makes it very hard to select favorites...
    and so many different treatments of B&W, its amazing....

naughty.gif :heh naughty.gif :heh naughty.gif :heh
  • BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I'm new to this forum, just a couple of weeks in, so I realize being a noob carries little or no weight. That said, I really wanted to say that I'm so happy to have come across this forum/community. I'm also new to the world of digital SLR photography....I purchased my Nikon D80 in May, took many pics, and thought I was doin' good...until I came here....the breadth and depth of experience and artistic talent here is so great, and having my old brain cells challenged with challenges....well, I'm proud to be here, Thanks so much for having me!!:D
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    I too am new to this forum, and I couldn't be having more fun and learning from everyone. The talent in this forum is unbelievable! I thought I was doing pretty good with my photos, but I see I have a loooong way to go!! Glad to be a part of this, and hope to be around for a long time!rolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Bill and Karin,
    Welcome to you both! We're thrilled to have you. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    wave.gif hello new guys and gals....you would be happy to know many of us are new.
    Aaron Nelson
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Welcome Newbies....You'll be happy you joined.

:D Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    You know, it is odd to not be able to read the input posts, but then come judging time, it's like Christmas every two weeks. Each entry is its own little parcel of pixely sweetness! :D

Other sites forbid posting an image that is entered in a current challenge in any other thread. In addition, the entries are emailed in and uploaded to a gallery for the voting. So, when the forum sees the images there is no username attatched during the vote period. This anonymous element puts an end to the popularity contest problem. It also forces the photographers to think for themselves since they cannot get opinions on photos in the forum. Nothing is perfect of course, so it is still possible to get your mother-in-law to find your image and vote for it....but it does keep the honest...honest.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Other sites forbid posting an image that is entered in a current challenge in any other thread. In addition, the entries are emailed in and uploaded to a gallery for the voting. So, when the forum sees the images there is no username attatched during the vote period. This anonymous element puts an end to the popularity contest problem. It also forces the photographers to think for themselves since they cannot get opinions on photos in the forum. Nothing is perfect of course, so it is still possible to get your mother-in-law to find your image and vote for it....but it does keep the honest...honest.

I like that. Makes good sense to eliminate the halo effect of known contributors vs. noobs. clap.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

Yes, but posting your images for peer input prior to the challenge deadline is what makes us special. Otherwise, what's to get you all coming back and enjoying comraderie in between the challenges? We pride ourselves on not being..."other sites".
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• BillyTomBillyTom Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    Yes, but posting your images for peer input prior to the challenge deadline is what makes us special. Otherwise, what's to get you all coming back and enjoying comraderie in between the challenges? We pride ourselves on not being..."other sites".

Amen!! bowdown.gif
    Bill James
    www.BillJamesPhotography.com
    Attempting to find beauty in the simple things!! :huh
    Nikon D80 - Nikkor 55-200 4-5.6 VR &
    Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008

15524779-Ti.gif Whooohooooo. 4 or 5 people will end up with a prize, the rest of us will gain the benefit of 100 others' insights into our photography. I think it is a great deal either way! thumb.gif
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I agree. I enter the challenges, to learn, experience and grow. A few of my entries, well... they have NOT had the impact I hoped. But when I get it right, and people comment, I remember what they said I did right. When I blow it, I also take the critique and learn. I appreciate that we can comment on the other entries. You can see how much people have grown over the contest period and rejoice with them when they NAIL IT!!
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • WomanWithACameraWomanWithACamera Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I also agree. I find these challenges a great learning experience. I am always learn something new from these, and find them to be lots of fun.
    :Dclap.gif:Dclap.gif:D
    :D A Smile A Day...Keeps The Uglies Away. :D

http://annasphotos.smugmug.com