Yep, ya need to read this: Polls

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited September 23, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok guys, in keeping with our theme of "Keeping You On Your Toes", the DSS Challenge polls will now run for 24 hours only. This may end up in fewer overall votes, but it will keep up with our nice, snappy pace.

Also, I want to highly encourage you to vote for your favorite image before looking at any poll results. This is an extremely important excercise in trusting your own judgment and evaluation skills, as well as creates a more truthful poll. I know how easy it is to be swayed by what other people think is the best image, causing you to reconsider your first decision. However, this is supposed to be about what moves you, not who should win based on popularity.

Let's give this a whirl, 'cuz I think it'll spice things up a bunch! :D
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Ok guys, in keeping with our theme of "Keeping You On Your Toes", the DSS Challenge polls will now run for 24 hours only. This may end up in fewer overall votes, but it will keep up with our nice, snappy pace.

Also, I want to highly encourage you to vote for your favorite image before looking at any poll results. This is an extremely important excercise in trusting your own judgment and evaluation skills, as well as creates a more truthful poll. I know how easy it is to be swayed by what other people think is the best image, causing you to reconsider your first decision. However, this is supposed to be about what moves you, not who should win based on popularity.

Let's give this a whirl, 'cuz I think it'll spice things up a bunch! :D

I trust you judgment and all, but I'm not so sure about this one. There are days where some people don't log on for the whole day, so they won't get to vote. I work with computers so I'm on 24/7 but I'm not sure everyone else is. Maybe 48 would be a little easier? or at least 36?

my 2 cents ;)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    I trust you judgment and all, but I'm not so sure about this one. There are days where some people don't log on for the whole day, so they won't get to vote. I work with computers so I'm on 24/7 but I'm not sure everyone else is. Maybe 48 would be a little easier? or at least 36?

my 2 cents ;)

Well, my hope is that everyone playing will know that Monday night/Tuesday is the day to get on and vote. Doc, can a partial day (36 hours) be used with auto closing? I could go with that one if possible, but otherwise, I wanna keep it short. If for some reason it doesn't work, we can change again.

(I never said I'd let you guys get too comfy, did I? lol3.gif )
    Emily

• pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    I think 24 hours is too little. I understand why you want to move things along, but this could easily cause too few votes to come in.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • BOATSBOATS Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    vote
    i think 24 is enough - we all know when the contest ends - and i know i have only been in a couple but i look on monday to see whats going on then - its just part of the habit - i also think it will give less time to muster "friendly" votes - it makes it count for more when you are on and it means more - the people that are on here the most are the ones that voting will be registered from. give it a try on 24 and see whats up. per your comment we can always change it again.
    as far as the vote totals - dont make them available until after the deadline.
    "the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    I really like the idea of voting without looking at the results beforehand. I think it would be best if the results could be hidden until after the poll closed - but I don't know if that is possible within the confines of the dgrin system.

I wonder if the voting poll could be set up in a Challenges sub-forum with the password "seevote" & a reminder to login first if you are intending to vote? That way it takes an intentional act to access the voting thread and lurkers (& dgrin members) can still check in on the progress when they want to.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins

my 2 cents ;)
    While for me this is also not a problem, I can see other people not using their PC as a life support like wee geeks do, so maybe 24 is a bit short indeed. OTOH, this way we geeks do get a home advantage mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    And FWIW I vote first, look second :-) :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    :whew
    Greensquared: Ok guys, in keeping with our theme of "Keeping You On Your Toes", the DSS Challenge polls will now run for 24 hours only. This may end up in fewer overall votes, but it will keep up with our nice, snappy pace.

I think this is a wonderful idea Emily. Keeps nail biting down to a minimum.:whew

peace,g
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    I think that it is possible to disable the ability to view poll results.....until after voting is closed.

That is....if you are concerned with current results affecting the voting.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I think that it is possible to disable the ability to view poll results.....until after voting is closed.

That is....if you are concerned with current results affecting the voting.

I have been told that it is not possible to hide the votes.
    Emily

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    Doc, can a partial day (36 hours) be used with auto closing?
    Nope. It would have to be done manually.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have looked, and looked, but just not possible. If you are a secret vbulletin expert, please share. deal.gif
    Erik

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    3 DAYS -- lots better .Some folks work and things like that eek7.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    Hang on all - we're working on the "hiding poll results" thing. I may go back to 3 days if we can get this feature.
    Emily

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    Hang on all - we're working on the "hiding poll results" thing. I may go back to 3 days if we can get this feature.

Are you hoping to hide all results until the poll is finished or simply hide results from people who are not logged-in or haven't voted?

As for the 24 hour thing, I don't think that's enough time. While my work hours are better this year, I there are certainly times when I can't get to dgrin during a 24 hour period (even if I know when I would need to visit).
    edited September 14, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I have looked, and looked, but just not possible. If you are a secret vbulletin expert, please share. deal.gif

No, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Expressrolleyes1.gif

...and...I sent you a PM regarding this subject.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    jwear wrote:
    3 DAYS -- lots better .Some folks work and things like that eek7.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

It appears that you got this working....but....

It has hidden poll results for all polls....such as the ones some(me included) use for feedback when we are on the fence over more than one image for entry. I can no longer view poll results on my own poll regarding possible entries to this challenge, I presume, until I close the poll....and I see no option for me to go back and close the open poll.

I'm glad you got it working.....but.....could someone close my poll for me?(admin? moderator?)
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

It has hidden poll results for all polls....such as the ones some(me included) use for feedback when we are on the fence over more than one image for entry. I can no longer view poll results on my own poll regarding possible entries to this challenge, I presume, until I close the poll....and I see no option for me to go back and close the open poll.

I'm glad you got it working.....but.....could someone close my poll for me?(admin? moderator?)

Done.thumb.gif
    Emily

When setting up your polls, remember to set it to auto close.

Let me know if you've forgotten, and I'll manually close it.
    Emily

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

I also cannot see my poll that I set up. I thought I had it on auto close for the 17th and that is what it says...but I cannot read any of the results! So how do we see the results of our own polls? Maybe we shouldn't use them for helping with feedback? I find though that people are more prone to answer on a poll then they are to answer an actual response.ne_nau.gif
    JAG wrote:
    I also cannot see my poll that I set up. I thought I had it on auto close for the 17th and that is what it says...but I cannot read any of the results! So how do we see the results of our own polls? Maybe we shouldn't use them for helping with feedback? I find though that people are more prone to answer on a poll then they are to answer an actual response.ne_nau.gif
    Well folks, you asked and asked for it to be one way. You can't have your cake and eat it too, sorry. As Emily said, If you haven't set your poll to auto-close, we'll fix it for you. Once a poll closes, the results are visible to everyone.

Hiding poll results for the voting threads far outweighs the slight inconvenience of the general public not being able to see the "opinion" polls.
    Erik

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well folks, you asked and asked for it to be one way. You can't have your cake and eat it too, sorry. As Emily said, If you haven't set your poll to auto-close, we'll fix it for you. Once a poll closes, the results are visible to everyone.

Hiding poll results for the voting threads far outweighs the slight inconvenience of the general public not being able to see the "opinion" polls.

Ok...so I should see the results of the poll on the 17th then and that should give me plenty of time to help evaluate a change in my entry or not. Ty for the info Doc!thumb.gif
    Merely a question here doc,
    but isn't there a way to set up an actual "photo voting poll"
    which could be separate from all the other basic opinion polls.
    I know there is some programing involved and it would have to be 2 separate applications on dgrins side for it to work.
    the photo voting polls would or could only be posted by admin with maybe admin rights while the other could be less complicated with only a registered user being a requirement.
    My wife work with guys that do this kind of things all the time, turning "buttons" on and off so to speak;
    and I do realize that the programing behind it can be quit extensive as well.

this way users could still post there opinion polls and get the quicker type feedback from viewing the poll.
    Like I said merely a question and well really a matter of programing and time, if anyone has it to spare.

DoctorIt wrote:

barrotj wrote:
    Merely a question here doc,
    Like I said merely a question and well really a matter of programing and time, if anyone has it to spare.
    Sure, there's always a way, but none of us are vbull programmers, and none of us have the time. Sorry.
    Erik

Yep, this is what we've got guys...

I'll post the Challenge poll for 3 days, after which, the winner will be announced and everyone can see the votes.

If you want to post a poll for opinions, you'll have to set an auto-close time, after which you will be able to see the results.

If you forget to set it to auto-close, let Doc or myself know and we'll fix it after severely chastising you and sentencing you to 50 lashes with a wet noodle. :D
    Emily

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    this is going to be cool...clap.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    Yep, this is what we've got guys...

I'll post the Challenge poll for 3 days, after which, the winner will be announced and everyone can see the votes.

If you want to post a poll for opinions, you'll have to set an auto-close time, after which you will be able to see the results.

If you forget to set it to auto-close, let Doc or myself know and we'll fix it after severely chastising you and sentencing you to 50 lashes with a wet noodle. :D

Only 50 lashes? It was 100 last time I screwed up... sigh... oh well.

The new poll plan sounds good! It'll add a fun element of mystery.
    FYI - keep up the good work Emily - it's a thankless job for the most part and I think you do more work here than is recognized. clap.gif
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    this is going to be cool...clap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif very cool
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
    Very cool doc, and I understand about time constraints. My wife had an idea and took it to her
    development team where she works and this is what they came back with:

"""""(((((Lynn,

Without knowing the exact software your husband is talking about we wouldn't be able to provide the code required for this to work. But the original software developer would or even do have the capabilities to turn these functions on and off rather easily.

What I would recommend they do is, see if they can set a flag to distinguish between the two types of polls. One for Opinion and one for Voting, then I would apply the viewing criteria to each.

Set “Opinion” poll as viewable to all.
    Set “Voting” poll as viewable at the close of the poll or date of closing or something along those lines.

Again, Not sure how exactly to do this without knowing the software being used, but if they could go back to the software company they bought it from and ask for these requirements they should be able to help.

Let me know if this helps!""""")))))

So it may, and I repeat may, just be as simple as asking the software provider for a fix or knowledge of how to turn the flags on.
    Not sure if it can be done, but I sense that a lot would like for both to work.

Hope this helps Doc. and if it isn't doable then a least we tried.

I do have another programmer friend that I have sent an email to concerning this, but it usually takes him 2-3 weeks to respond to any communication.

DoctorIt wrote:
    Sure, there's always a way, but none of us are vbull programmers, and none of us have the time. Sorry.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    barrotj wrote:
    So it may, and I repeat may, just be as simple as asking the software provider for a fix or knowledge of how to turn the flags on.
    Not sure if it can be done, but I sense that a lot would like for both to work.

Dgrin runs on commercially produced software. We take advantage of the customization options offered by the product itself, but do not attempt to go beyond that. In theory, you can get software to do just about anything if you muck with its internals, but custom software development is not something to be undertaken casually. It requires a major business commitment. We simply aren't staffed for it at the moment and prefer to focus our energies on content.