Yep, ya need to read this: Polls

2»

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 15, 2008
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. And so you know, we would prefer the option to do this as well. However, for us to go and do the work you requested means deviating from a distributed (and supported) software package making it more difficult to do updates and to maintain the forum software as a whole. So for the time being, it's either hide the poll until it closes or not. And since this is desirable for challenges, polls will stay hidden until they close.

As someone's mentioned before, the solution or workaround to your problem is to set an expiration for your poll at the time you set it up.

Again, thanks for your input.

barrotj wrote:
    Very cool doc, and I understand about time constraints. My wife had an idea and took it to her
    development team where she works and this is what they came back with:

"""""(((((Lynn,

Without knowing the exact software your husband is talking about we wouldn't be able to provide the code required for this to work. But the original software developer would or even do have the capabilities to turn these functions on and off rather easily.

What I would recommend they do is, see if they can set a flag to distinguish between the two types of polls. One for Opinion and one for Voting, then I would apply the viewing criteria to each.

Set “Opinion” poll as viewable to all.
    Set “Voting” poll as viewable at the close of the poll or date of closing or something along those lines.

Again, Not sure how exactly to do this without knowing the software being used, but if they could go back to the software company they bought it from and ask for these requirements they should be able to help.

Let me know if this helps!""""")))))

So it may, and I repeat may, just be as simple as asking the software provider for a fix or knowledge of how to turn the flags on.
    Not sure if it can be done, but I sense that a lot would like for both to work.

Hope this helps Doc. and if it isn't doable then a least we tried.

I do have another programmer friend that I have sent an email to concerning this, but it usually takes him 2-3 weeks to respond to any communication.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 15, 2008
    This makes absolute perfect sense. It's a pleasure knowing that so many of you work so hard to make it better.
    Sometimes things just have to be what they are :)

best wishes and keep up the great work guys and gals, it is noticeable a more functional and useful site.

ian408 wrote:
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. And so you know, we would prefer the option to do this as well. However, for us to go and do the work you requested means deviating from a distributed (and supported) software package making it more difficult to do updates and to maintain the forum software as a whole. So for the time being, it's either hide the poll until it closes or not. And since this is desirable for challenges, polls will stay hidden until they close.

As someone's mentioned before, the solution or workaround to your problem is to set an expiration for your poll at the time you set it up.

Again, thanks for your input.
  • BOATSBOATS Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2008
    thanks
    thanks for the effort and time spent - i appreciate you for looking in to it.
    "the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't think that you could see poll results until after you voted. headscratch.gif Am I wrong or did it display the results once the vote was cast?
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    Travis wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't think that you could see poll results until after you voted. headscratch.gif Am I wrong or did it display the results once the vote was cast?

Glad someone mentioned this, because I've never been able to see poll results until after I cast a vote myself. I thought that's how it was for everyone.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    Travis wrote:

It's always been the case that you wouldn't see the result until after you'd voted. With the option we've installed, you won't be able to see the result until after the poll closes.
    ian408 wrote:
    It's always been the case that you wouldn't see the result until after you'd voted. With the option we've installed, you won't be able to see the result until after the poll closes.

So, the issue is more about suspense than someone being swayed by the current voting results?
    Elaine

Elaine wrote:
    So, the issue is more about suspense than someone being swayed by the current voting results?
    I don't I would characterize it like that. In the past, you could simply click the box to see the result before you cast your vote. So I'd say the change is more making sure those who do vote are not swayed by the result.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    Travis wrote:

if your lurking, or you log out, or if going to the poll through links will (did)allow the poll to be viewable without voting first.
    Aaron Nelson
    ian408 wrote:
    I don't I would characterize it like that. In the past, you could simply click the box to see the result before you cast your vote. So I'd say the change is more making sure those who do vote are not swayed by the result.

Ahh...I didn't know you could click and view before your vote. I was always glad not to see the results pop up until I had voted, so I'm glad I didn't know any other tricks. I'm basically always logged in and wouldn't have made the effort to log out to see the results beforehand. I was silly and thought most others had the same experience. rolleyes1.gif I think it will be more fun to not see results 'till it's done.
    Elaine

Elaine wrote:
    I think it will be more fun to not see results 'till it's done.

I think you're absolutely right about this thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Ahh...I didn't know you could click and view before your vote. I was always glad not to see the results pop up until I had voted, so I'm glad I didn't know any other tricks. I'm basically always logged in and wouldn't have made the effort to log out to see the results beforehand. I was silly and thought most others had the same experience. rolleyes1.gif I think it will be more fun to not see results 'till it's done.

I didn't realize that, either. And I agree about being glad to not see the results pop up until after I voted.

It will, indeed, be more fun to see the results after all the votes have been counted. thumb.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Okee dokee people, you guys have been having a few little poll issues, so here's what we're gonna do:

Stop using polls (at least for the time being) to get opinions. It is MUCH more valuable when your peers give you written feedback anyway. Let us get through one round with the hidden poll for Challenge voting, then we'll see where we're at. Ok? thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    edited September 20, 2008
    Ok, that's great for the challenge, but if anyone has looked at the way others have actually used the polls, then one would realize that more people answer polls than provide feedback.
    All one has to do is go back and look at the track history of it. It would seem that a poll draw's a lot more response than a C and C request, nearly 10 times or more.
    This would most likely be, because some are not comfortable actually stating their opinion, for fear of sounding silly, or whatever. but being able to vote makes them less fearful and be able to offer their opinion silently.
    I appreciate what your trying to do, but It is my Honest opinion, that this will hurt more than it will help anyone.

example threads here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=105996

8 feedbacks but an amazing 21 votes. lots of unspoken feedback will be lost

and here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77512

10 feedbacks minus OP responses but an amazing 38 votes. again lots of unspoken feedback will be lost.

just my 2 cents.
    Okee dokee people, you guys have been having a few little poll issues, so here's what we're gonna do:

Stop using polls (at least for the time being) to get opinions. It is MUCH more valuable when your peers give you written feedback anyway. Let us get through one round with the hidden poll for Challenge voting, then we'll see where we're at. Ok? thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    barrotj wrote:
    Ok, that's great for the challenge, but if anyone has looked at the way others have actually used the polls, then one would realize that more people answer polls than provide feedback.
    All one has to do is go back and look at the track history of it. It would seem that a poll draw's a lot more response than a C and C request, nearly 10 times or more.
    This would most likely be, because some are not comfortable actually stating their opinion, for fear of sounding silly, or whatever. but being able to vote makes them less fearful and be able to offer their opinion silently.
    I appreciate what your trying to do, but It is my Honest opinion, that this will hurt more than it will help anyone.

example threads here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=105996

8 feedbacks but an amazing 21 votes. lots of unspoken feedback will be lost

and here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77512

10 feedbacks minus OP responses but an amazing 38 votes. again lots of unspoken feedback will be lost.

just my 2 cents.
    We've been thru this, sorry - it is what it is for now. We're exploring other options but can't promise if / when.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    barrotj wrote:
    You're entitled to your opinion, but as I've been commenting more and more in the last couple weeks - when did this forum become about exifs and polls? If I add up all the posts about technicalities and compare them to discussion about photography, it's downright sad.

Asking people to discuss, to share a few simple words, instead of clicking a radio button sure doesn't seem like hurting anything to me.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

DoctorIt wrote:
    Asking people to discuss, to share a few simple words, instead of clicking a radio button sure doesn't seem like hurting anything to me.

I couldn't agree more, but as it is VERY evident by the past history of the use of polls, most people seem to prefer to hit the radio button.
    I for one would rather have someone tell me in words what they liked or didn't like about a photograph, but the reality is that most won't for fear of skepticism.
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    barrotj wrote:
    I couldn't agree more, but as it is VERY evident by the past history of the use of polls, most people seem to prefer to hit the radio button.
    I for one would rather have someone tell me in words what they liked or didn't like about a photograph, but the reality is that most won't for fear of skepticism.

While I partially agree, I think that people choose to simply hit the radio button because it's easier. I'd rather have 3 meaningful comments that help my photography than 10 poll responses with no explanation. People need to get comfortable speaking up here - it's a non-threatening environment and the goal is to foster discussion! Anything that fosters discussion is a good thing in my book.
    CSwinton wrote:
    People need to get comfortable speaking up here - it's a non-threatening environment and the goal is to foster discussion!
    thumb.gif

I challenge anyone to find a friendlier "small community" feeling photography forum. deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    CSwinton wrote:
    While I partially agree, I think that people choose to simply hit the radio button because it's easier. I'd rather have 3 meaningful comments that help my photography than 10 poll responses with no explanation. People need to get comfortable speaking up here - it's a non-threatening environment and the goal is to foster discussion! Anything that fosters discussion is a good thing in my book.

I also agree that constructive critism is great and getting comments instead of just a poll has its benifits. But I will be totally honest here....I am one to just push the button and vote for what I like better. And if I don't like any of them I usually will not vote. The few times I comment are usually for really positive feedback. Only because when I give a criticism I am so blunt...maybe I lack finesse on explaining what I know. I am always concerned I might hurt someones feelings. (I know...I'm too sensitive.).

An example of this was giving the critiques on the last round #7. I was honest and it came from my heart but I wonder from a few of the responses I got whether it was of value. It doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me...but its what I see (just like anyone else who gives a critique). It was extremely hard for me to give those opinions. And I even at times tried to keep it light....and joked around even on one of them...but the person is a stand up guy who is one of my mentors here at Dgrin and he took it as it was ment. You guys are great to be around.

Now I am back to keeping my mouth shut because I don't want to offend anyone when I open my mouth. Maybe its because I feel like my photography isn't even close to what I see you all producing. Its my preference to just vote on a poll....for my own insecure reasons.ne_nau.gif But hey...this is the friendliest group I have been in and I like being here.clap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    JAG wrote:

Now I am back to keeping my mouth shut because I don't want to offend anyone when I open my mouth. Maybe its because I feel like my photography isn't even close to what I see you all producing. Its my preference to just vote on a poll....for my own insecure reasons.ne_nau.gif But hey...this is the friendliest group I have been in and I like being here.clap.gif
    Please don't shut your mouth - we need to hear from you :D

We'll try and let all of you have your cake and eat it too - but for now, no polls, sorry!
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    thumb.gif

I challenge anyone to find a friendlier "small community" feeling photography forum. deal.gif

Do I have to?

I'm quite happy here!

This forum is a rarity as a web community that's civil, supportive and focused on photographic images rather than equipment.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    Halite wrote:
    This forum is a rarity as a web community that's civil, supportive and focused on photographic images rather than equipment.

15524779-Ti.gif It's so nice not to have anyone bragging about their equipment here. So very, very good. Who cares what kind of camera or lens you have if you don't have the artistic and technical sense to capture and process a good image? Some people seem to compensate for . . . well, all sorts of deficiencies with large, expensive lenses and cameras.:oogle Talking about equipment is not photography.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    Halite wrote:
    Do I have to?

I'm quite happy here!

hey, im not going to put up with all this civil , supportive and focused people talk!

:banned (btw, loved your polished entry)

now lets get back to talking about carbon fiber tripods and why all others suck....

rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif It's so nice not to have anyone bragging about their equipment here. So very, very good. Who cares what kind of camera or lens you have if you don't have the artistic and technical sense to capture and process a good image? Some people seem to compensate for . . . well, all sorts of deficiencies with large, expensive lenses and cameras.:oogle Talking about equipment is not photography.

Lol...and the focus test results....photos of dollar bills and brick walls are missing here as well.......clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:
    thumb.gif

done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48&feature=related
    Aaron Nelson
  • explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    oops
    i jumped from the first directly to the last page, to see that the topics are slightly :P different.

i dont know what you're talking about here, but my 2 cents on the original issue: 24 hours too short, especially given that it's monday, a usually busy day. 48 hrs, or at least till tuesday 24:00 wd seem more suitable.

on the other hand, cool to not know what others voted until you have voted yourself. very cool.

maybe you have already taken a decision, but no time to go thru all 6 comment pages. sorry. good luck, either way. challenges rule.
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.