Sunday outdoors

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 17, 2008 in People
Last weekend I had a chance to visit Seattle. Andrew "Greenpea" picked me up at SeaTac, and after a nice lunch at Joye's we proceeded to our scheduled shooot with one of the local models, Julia.

1. Meet Julia:

371398733_bZbJh-XL.jpg

2. We started our shoot in Gasworks park:

371399029_U7EUT-XL.jpg

3. Then moved to the waterfront:

371399449_Yqshv-X2.jpg

4. And then - to the water of the Lake Union itself:

371649831_WcTAu-XL.jpg

5. We had tons of fun at the Pike's Market:

371746345_LaaoZ-X2.jpg

6. Visited famous "gumwall":

371747144_u8bgU-XL.jpg

7. (which simply called for a BW version):

371747561_DnQ2R-XL.jpg

8. We finished our day on the shore of the Puget Sound:

371748024_gQyPf-X2.jpg

9. Where Julia could relax comfortably on a bed of the seagrass:

371773612_ux7K3-XL.jpg

10. And pose at sunset

371774856_Z2jbX-X2.jpg

All in all it was a great day. I'd like to thank Andrew and Julia for thier hospitality and hope that I will be able to return the favor soon.

C&C welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Nik

You should travel more!! These really rock! The first one and then the ones at Pike are really, really, great! Was greenpea shooting too?! How cool is that?

Oh, and #3 should be a feature for a Seattle magazine!
    ann
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nik
    You should travel more!! These really rock! The first one and then the ones at Pike are really, really, great! Was greenpea shooting too?! How cool is that?
    Oh, and #3 should be a feature for a Seattle magazine!
    ann

Thanks, Ann!
    Maybe one day business brings me closer to Canada, too:-)
    Andrew was shooting, too. In fact, he also took upon himself a daunting task of shooting *me shooting Julia* mwink.gif , so soon you can expect a whole bunch of candids with yours truly assuming the weirdest positions since the days when Sid was frequenting the forums.
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    Both Gumwall's are Fan"freakin"tastic! Very tough to pick a favorite between the two! If held down by an elephant and told to pick one or get squashed.....the B&W MIGHT win out, but both are just superb!

clap.gifthumb.gif
    Idlewild wrote:
    Both Gumwall's are Fan"freakin"tastic! Very tough to pick a favorite between the two! If held down by an elephant and told to pick one or get squashed.....the B&W MIGHT win out, but both are just superb!

clap.gifthumb.gif
    Thank you! thumb.gif
    Now imagine going through 750+ frames rolleyes1.gif ...
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Ann!
    Maybe one day business brings me closer to Canada, too:-)
    Andrew was shooting, too. In fact, he also took upon himself a daunting task of shooting *me shooting Julia* mwink.gif , so soon you can expect a whole bunch of candids with yours truly assuming the weirdest positions since the days when Sid was frequenting the forums.

Nik

You just holler the first hint of a trip up here. But I don't know any models, and I doubt that you could expect the same sort of wardrobe here in December or January! mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nik

You just holler the first hint of a trip up here. But I don't know any models, and I doubt that you could expect the same sort of wardrobe here in December or January! mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Will do deal.gifiloveyou.gif , and don't worry about the models, I got it covered :-) mwink.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    #6 ...umm im speechless, seriously creative again from you.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif on this series!!!
    Aaron Nelson
    #6 ...umm im speechless, seriously creative again from you.
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif on this series!!!
    Thanks, Aaron, appreciate it!thumb.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    #6 thumb.gif , But I would consider cropping from the right to move her from dead center.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    #6 thumb.gif , But I would consider cropping from the right to move her from dead center.
    Sorry, no gonna! deal.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2008
    I love the BW version of the gum shot! thumb.gif
    aktse wrote:
    I love the BW version of the gum shot! thumb.gif
    Thanks April!thumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    Number 1 is "IT" Number 6 also is "IT". The first one is in a class by itself. The others are good but don't grab me like those two.......I love em.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    Swartzy wrote:
    Number 1 is "IT" Number 6 also is "IT". The first one is in a class by itself. The others are good but don't grab me like those two.......I love em.
    Hey, glad you liked something :-) clap.gif
  • TunaTuna Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    All very nice. The only issue I have is with #3. I think the angle makes her feet looks mannish.
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    Hey Nikolai! It was great shooting with you! All I could do was stand back and watch and try to learn. Looking at the photos I ended up with vs. the photos you got, I'm not sure I learned much rolleyes1.gif

370305507_EoLCp-L.jpg

It was not just your photography, but your interaction with the model, making sure she was in just the right position for the shot...
    370312740_eXD2L-L.jpg

Even showing her how to wear the outfits (I promised I would not to share the shots of Nikolai demonstrating how she should wear her bikini)
    370320496_R9fTo-L.jpg

Mind you many of the pictures were taken in very harsh mid day sun. Not a cloud in the sky. I had largely set aside my camera assuming that no good shots would come from the day...Nikolai proved that assumption wrong!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
    greenpea wrote:
    Hey Nikolai! It was great shooting with you!
    Andrew, it was a pleasure shooting with you too! And I definitely appreciate all the care you and your family showed to me! bowdown.gif
    Thank you very much for the candids - and yes, please do not share that bikini/implied stuff :D
    Andrew: Thanks for the shots of Nik n action.

Nik: A few questions:
    1. How does using on camera flash on a portrait orientation shot change the result?

2. Do you really wear sunglasses when shooting, and how does that affect our shots?

3. Where's your hair?mwink.gifrofl

Nik, I love your work and progress, and hope someday to follow your example!
    iloveyou.giflust
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Nik: A few questions:
    1. How does using on camera flash on a portrait orientation shot change the result?
    I used it as fill, it worked out nicely. You can see the results yourself (above).
    2. Do you really wear sunglasses when shooting, and how does that affect our shots?
    Yes. I'm not measuring with my eyes, and I don't use LCD in LiveView mode, so it's really no biggie.
    Just as a reminder - these are prescription ones, it's not that I'm trying to be cool ne_nau.gif
    3. Where's your hair?mwink.gifrofl
    "На Большом Каретном... " Sorry, couldn't help it...:D ~ "Where my youth is"
    Nik, I love your work and progress, and hope someday to follow your example!
    iloveyou.giflust
    Thanks, Ann, great to hear from you, as always! iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    Wow Nik! bowdown.gif

#2 and #6 are stand outs. Very awesome stuff!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Wow Nik! bowdown.gif

#2 and #6 are stand outs. Very awesome stuff!
    Thanks, Aaron! thumb.gif It was the great Seattle mood, I think! mwink.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Real progress
    Nik,

My good friend Will T keeps reminding me how picky and detail oriented I am. Since you started working with models, 1 & 2 are the nicest you've done. Congratulations. I have nothing on them to critique! They are perfect. I am not big on the styling of all of them, but those two are terrific.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik,

My good friend Will T keeps reminding me how picky and detail oriented I am. Since you started working with models, 1 & 2 are the nicest you've done. Congratulations. I have nothing on them to critique! They are perfect. I am not big on the styling of all of them, but those two are terrific.

Thank you, Kathy! Appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    The Gum Wall
    Nik,

The gum wall...both of 'em are very nice...I wouldn't change a thing. I like them just the way they are. Gum wall black and white is especially nice.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    Ed911 wrote:
    Nik,

The gum wall...both of 'em are very nice...I wouldn't change a thing. I like them just the way they are. Gum wall black and white is especially nice.
    Thanks Ed!

I must admit I too consider the Gum Wall to be the gem of the shoot. It was totally unexpected and very cool.

Here are couple more from this tiny piece of "Seattle proper", as Greenpea woudl say:

1. Attitude:

371746645_aeWF4-XL.jpg

2. I'm ready, are you?

371746838_6k8ZB-XL.jpg

thumb.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Oooooooh greenpea .... these shots are AWESOME!!! Hahaha. I think you just made my day with the hat shot rolleyes1.gif

Nice shots Nik! I really like your outdoor sessions, I think I've seen too much fabric recently .... Love the gum wall, HOW FUN!!! (can't believe she touched it though .. haha)

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Holy cow. #7 just might be the most amazing image I've seen on this forum. :jawdrop bowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oooooooh greenpea .... these shots are AWESOME!!! Hahaha. I think you just made my day with the hat shot rolleyes1.gif

Nice shots Nik! I really like your outdoor sessions, I think I've seen too much fabric recently .... Love the gum wall, HOW FUN!!! (can't believe she touched it though .. haha)

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

Thanks, Angie!

To be perfectly honest, it was a huge surprise for myself.
    As Andrew already mentioned, the weather was typical California style, so I wasn't expecting too much. Yet looks like I was wrong mwink.gif
    I think I'll be more comfortable with the outdoor shooting and shooting in public places. It was actually a great fun to shoot in a crowded Pike's Market place, with literally hundreds of people staring at us. At some point we even ended up receiving an ovation rolleyes1.gifI guess I should give my model, lovely Julia, most of the credits for that bowdown.gif , since for me it was relatively easy to concentrate on the tiny window of my viewfinder, while for her it was a real live stage performence in front of the huge crowd.
    urbanaries wrote:
    Holy cow. #7 just might be the most amazing image I've seen on this forum. :jawdrop bowdown.gif
    Wow, what a nice compliment, thank you very much! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Angie!

To be perfectly honest, it was a huge surprise for myself.
    As Andrew already mentioned, the weather was typical California style, so I wasn't expecting too much. Yet looks like I was wrong mwink.gif
    I think I'll be more comfortable with the outdoor shooting and shooting in public places. It was actually a great fun to shoot in a crowded Pike's Market place, with literally hundreds of people staring at us. At some point we even ended up receiving an ovation rolleyes1.gifI guess I should give my model, lovely Julia, most of the credits for that bowdown.gif , since for me it was relatively easy to concentrate on the tiny window of my viewfinder, while for her it was a real live stage performence in front of the huge crowd.

True, got to respect the model. I took not too long ago some wedding formals in the Common (Big park in Boston), and once I turned around I had like 20 people behind me, all watching the couple pose + like 5 sneaky photographers who were totally stealing some shots rolleyes1.gif ... haha, oh well ne_nau.gif

Definitely love your outdoors shots, looking forward to seeing more!! iloveyou.gif