Options

5D mkii info on the Canon USA site!

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For my work, which includes a fair amount of events, it would be awfully nice to be able to crop a portrait oriented 8" x 10" from a landscape oriented shot. There are too many times when there just isn't time to re-orient the camera and flash, the opportunity occurs and you have little time to react.

Yes, I like this point, Ziggy.

Anything which helps to bag the photo when conditions are against you is what gets me excited.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I am very sad that they didn't upgrade the AF system.
    I believe they did, 9af pts + 6 invisible :)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    Andy wrote:

I suspect it is the autofocus system from the 50D. If it is similar to the AF system on the 40D it is probably sufficient and is improved over the original 5D (which was based on the 20D/30D autofocus, which wasn't horrible.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

That is what the 5D has.

My primary compaint about the 5D is that only the center point is accurate enough for fast lenses in low light. What that means is that when shooting with, say, the 35/1.4 I have to make a choice between paralax error from focus-and-recompose or an unreliable focus point. As far as I can tell, the 5D II will also have this same problem. However, with the 5D II I will at least have more latitude to use cropping as a substitute for framing in camera.
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ... As far as I can tell, the 5D II will also have this same problem. However, with the 5D II I will at least have more latitude to use cropping as a substitute for framing in camera.

The 5D MKII also has Live View which does help with critical focus for static shots. It will be interesting to see how well the Contrast Detect autofocus works in Live View.

At least all of the AF points are now cross type. I believe only the center AF point was cross type in the original 5D.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The 5D MKII also has Live View which does help with critical focus for static shots. It will be interesting to see how well the Contrast Detect autofocus works in Live View.

At least all of the AF points are now cross type. I believe only the center AF point was cross type in the original 5D.

I can certainly see myself using Live View in a lot of situations. A live histogram and DoF preview will be very handy.

As for the other 8 being cross-type sensors, there are conflicting reports on this depending on which site you look at.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    ahh...live view to help with the T/S fine focus adjustments i find so hard to do...umph.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Actually the 5D MKII's AF really is the same as the originals, no cross type outer sensors. From RG.com:
    Somewhat surprisingly, Canon has not adopted the 40D/50D's AF system which, on paper, is superior, given that all nine of its AF points are cross-type. Canon USA's Westfall says the reason for that is the "6 Assist AF points plus center point were deemed to provide a higher level of performance for AI Servo AF than the center point-only arrangement of the [40D and] 50D." Given that we've previously found the overall autofocus performance of the 5D to be decent, while the 40D's tracking capability has been erratic at best, Canon has likely chosen the better of the two AF systems for the 5D Mark II.
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9316-9607

It's pretty much the only thing I'm disappointed in, otherwise it really looks excellent.
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    mirror lockup?
    I was searching to find whether the 5d mk ii has mirror lockup... I found a post that says "live view is your mirror lockup."

Not what I was hoping for, but better than nothing??? What do you think?
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    After seeing the rather low fps, I jumped to the Canon web site look at the 40D, 50D and 5D Mk II specs. Under Features & Specs for the first 2, the AF is linked to more detail and highly touted, especially the 50D and the f/2.8 (or faster) diagonal. Not so with the 5D Mk II. Simple 9 point AF mention. The 6 invisible shows up in the announcement.

If the tracking is significantly better, that may make up for it. I find the Westfall comment interesting, since most people who bought the 40D liked the tracking and AF in the reviews I read (well most people whose opinions I usually care about).

I really wanted the 6.3fps or faster and better AF. So I'll wait until more is revealed and reviewed. Ultimately, maybe Canon had to hold something back to keep from canonabilizing the 1D and 1Ds. Pun intended. And honestly, it may be that my needs simply aren't designed to be met by this camera.

sign me,
    Happy 5D owner and still waiting
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    I was hoping for the 45 point AF....

Now, I have a choice for the upgrade of my wife's 20D, the 50D or the 5D II. We are a husband and wife team that shoots Weddings together, I use the 1D IIn, she needs an UPGRADE!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    I just watched this hands on review. And what they say is that
    the new 5D actually has larger pixels than the old 5D. This is
    because the old 5D had spaces between the pixels which the
    new 5D II uses for additional pixels.

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/09/17/canon-5d-mark-ii-hands-on-video/
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    So, they give it a whole bunch of features I'd never use (video, 21MP, live view, sRAW), give it one I thought the 5D should have had (weather sealing), and don't address the biggest flaw: the AF and longer shutter lag than the 40D.
  • Options
    ShebaJo wrote:
    I was searching to find whether the 5d mk ii has mirror lockup... I found a post that says "live view is your mirror lockup."

Not what I was hoping for, but better than nothing??? What do you think?

The 5DII mirror lockup feature is identical to the 5D. One nice thing is that on the 5DII you can assign MLU to a custom top level menu instead of chasing down into the CFs to get to it.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I just watched this hands on review. And what they say is that
    the new 5D actually has larger pixels than the old 5D. This is
    because the old 5D had spaces between the pixels which the
    new 5D II uses for additional pixels.
    I didn't hear this the same way. Are you sure?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    not really its 3 am here.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    I didn't hear this the same way. Are you sure?

I didn't find what he said at all clear.

Here's my guess on the sensor: the sillicon masks are the same as the 1Ds3, but the bayer filter array and the lenses are new for the 5D2. I don't put much stock in the discussion of photosite size because the acutal system is far to complicated to be summarized by one number. However, from what Canon is saying we can expect the 5D2 noise performance to be better than the 1Ds3. By how much? We'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    DJeanoDJeano Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2008
    Is anybody concerned about this being the first Canon with video? I have always heard it is better to let others buy the first release of a model, wait till bugs are worked out, then buy. With this being totally new, do you think bugs might be a problem?
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    I can't wait to have a play with the video. First lens will probably be the 100mm macro with and extension tube or two. crazy closeup video of tiny little gross things.

Then maybe a tilt shift or fisheye.

I don't see it as much more then a nice addition. I'm not expecting broadcast quality HD on their first attempt. Then again, I've always been an enthusiastic early adopter.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    DJeano wrote:
    Is anybody concerned about this being the first Canon with video? I have always heard it is better to let others buy the first release of a model, wait till bugs are worked out, then buy. With this being totally new, do you think bugs might be a problem?

Version 1 of just about anything is likely to have some rough edges. The question then becomes, can you live with them? It might be worth it despite some problems. After all, just about any product still has room for improvement. Personally, I am not interested in the video function at all. As long as it doesn't introduce problems in the other functions of the camera, I couldn't care less.
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    Version 1 of just about anything is likely to have some rough edges. The question then becomes, can you live with them? It might be worth it despite some problems. After all, just about any product still has room for improvement. Personally, I am not interested in the video function at all. As long as it doesn't introduce problems in the other functions of the camera, I couldn't care less.

15524779-Ti.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    Was it just the way my computer was playing it back, or was the sample video on dpreview quite choppy?
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    do you mean the 1080p videos of the liveview and replay menu? That was not choppy on my computer, you will find that full hd needs a fair bit of grunt to play smoothly
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    jogle wrote:
    I can't wait to have a play with the video. First lens will probably be the 100mm macro with and extension tube or two. crazy closeup video of tiny little gross things.

Then maybe a tilt shift or fisheye.

I don't see it as much more then a nice addition. I'm not expecting broadcast quality HD on their first attempt. Then again, I've always been an enthusiastic early adopter.
    If it's HD, then almost by definition it will be broadcast quality, no? Unless they compress it horribly, of course.

I like the idea of a fish eye or wide angle. I also like bokeh, which is difficult to create with consumer video cameras.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    jogle wrote:
    do you mean the 1080p videos of the liveview and replay menu? That was not choppy on my computer, you will find that full hd needs a fair bit of grunt to play smoothly
    I believe you are correct - this is a computer issue.

Which raises the issue of those pesky 21 mpx. Buy more RAM. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    Tried this camera today!

It feels great, operating is snappier than my 30d, the shutter sound is.. delicious!

Got some samples here:

http://ulrikft.smugmug.com/gallery/6001915_WxHQA#375168848_TH5rd
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    ulrikft wrote:
    Tried this camera today!

It feels great, operating is snappier than my 30d, the shutter sound is.. delicious!

Got some samples here:

You tried it? Where? You lucky dawg. mwink.gif Oh, I sooo want to try it!

I checked your link, didn't see pics... will check again.

Did you try the video?
  • Options
    ulrikft wrote:
    Tried this camera today!

Got some samples here:

Your are truly blessed.

Do you know what the in-camera noise reduction settings were while you were shooting?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    I tried video! You people that have IS lenses, be prepared to have _great_ fun :D

I don't know what settings they had on the camera, it was softwarelocked to standard JPG (so i guess some NR applied on the high iso images). I would imagine that raw images tweaked in bibble 5 or lightroom (or your software of choice) will look even better!

I preordered one today and I'm looking really, really forward to taking it for a ride when it arrives in late november :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    Iso 12800:

375171811_9zaVF-XL.jpg
    -Ulrik