Options

5D mkii info on the Canon USA site!

124»

Comments

• Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    I tried video! You people that have IS lenses, be prepared to have _great_ fun :D

I don't know what settings they had on the camera, it was softwarelocked to standard JPG (so i guess some NR applied on the high iso images). I would imagine that raw images tweaked in bibble 5 or lightroom (or your software of choice) will look even better!

I preordered one today and I'm looking really, really forward to taking it for a ride when it arrives in late november :)

Cool. thumb.gif

Late November, lucky you! I hope I have one too! wings.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    I don't do video, and I don't care much about it, but other than that 5D2 is *almost* like (and in some cases, better than) 1D3s for a third of a price. It will still take me a while to save for it, but I'll get it eventually deal.gif (Although it may be that 5D3 will be already out by the time I get the funds:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't do video, and I don't care much about it, but other than that 5D2 is *almost* like (and in some cases, better than) 1D3s for a third of a price. It will still take me a while to save for it, but I'll get it eventually deal.gif (Although it may be that 5D3 will be already out by the time I get the funds:-)

rolleyes1.gif

Same here!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    If it's HD, then almost by definition it will be broadcast quality, no? Unless they compress it horribly, of course.

I like the idea of a fish eye or wide angle. I also like bokeh, which is difficult to create with consumer video cameras.

Broadcast quality is always a bit of a moving target and it's been a long time since anyone could quantify it, but the frame size is only a small part of it. at 36Mbps in h.264 at 30fps (broadcast is 60fps) the 5dMkII has a chance of producing a good quality image (depending on the quality of the compressor) but I don't expect it to be near the same level of chroma fidelity, or dynamic range of the broadcast HD cameras.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    Crave article compares 5d mk ii to 5d, D700, Sony A900, and 1d mk iii
    Crave article compares 5d mk ii to 5d, D700, Sony A900, and 1d mk iii
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    ShebaJo wrote:

Thanks for the link! That's a good introductory review. It uses few words, and that is how I feel about the 5DMkII. It doesn't inspire epics! mwink.gif

Does it respond agilely under pressure and difficult conditions with practically flawless images?... We will have to wait and see. For tripod, snail pace set up shots, and controlled situations like weddings, I'm sure it will be thrilling. Like those huge old concertina studio cameras of a hundred years ago! :D

Of course, while you are waiting for things to be ready for the next shot you can amuse yourself with the video. A considerate compensatory offering from Canon, to be sure. rolleyes1.gif

Only joking, hehe...

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    I would rather wait for real life uses of the 5D mk II, than looking at comparisons on paper.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    I would rather wait for real life uses of the 5D mk II, than looking at comparisons on paper.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    Jet JaguarJet Jaguar Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    Nikolai wrote:
    ...but other than that 5D2 is *almost* like (and in some cases, better than) 1D3s for a third of a price.
    Does that mean it's time to start 1D Mk IV rumors, or too early yet? :D
  • Options
    jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Canon Anouces New 5d
    JUST GOT THIS FROM USA CANON PRESS RELEASE.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20080917_5dmkii.html
    IT LOOKS LIKE A WINNER OH YA ONE OF MY NEXT TWO PURCHES tHE FIRST BEING A 50D AND THEN THE 5D MARK II CANT WAIT i ALSO HAVE A SCHEDUALED PHOTO WORKSHOP IN YOSEMITE IN FEB. GOT TO LOVE ITclap.gifclap.gif :ivar
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
  • Options
    jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is another site with more sample photos. thumb.gif

IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU COULD READ JAPANESE
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos5dmkii_preview/

DPReview has sample photos now! 40 of them!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    jovitta wrote:
    IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU COULD READ JAPANESE

All caps is considered "shouting" in many countries. Please use upper-lower case.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    Some more photos w/ the new camera here (at high ISO)
    http://www.prophotonut.com/2008/09/20/canon-5d-mk2-high-iso-pictures/#more-724