Options

Weekly Assignment #93: Shallow

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    du8die wrote:
    Typically, when you're in MF mode on a Canon, you can half-press the shutter and if you're in focus, that little red light on the focal point will flash, letting you know that you're in focus there...

It's that way on the 40d, and I'm pretty sure it's that way on the original Digital Rebel, so my guess is your XT is the same...

Actually the red light only confirms which sensor is being used, to confirm focus, you need to look for the green dot on the right hand side of the viewfinder. If you have focus, the green dot will show when you push the button down halfway, otherwise, it will not show.

Btw, I used Live View (for the first time) to get manual focus right...I was able to zoom into my subject on the screen and confirm what looked like the best focus.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    cmason wrote:
    Btw, I used Live View (for the first time) to get manual focus right...I was able to zoom into my subject on the screen and confirm what looked like the best focus.
    LiveView is a great feature for this indeed! thumb.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    Hmm...
    This is a crop of a wide shot. I had little time to rotate the brolly and snap it off. It was shot at f/2.8 so DOF worked really well for me here.

376450683_QRQAp-M.jpg
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    My comments may be out of place on this forum, however I do think this is not only an exceptional shot for the assignment but it is a really great shot too. You should let Taylor see this!

Cheers,
    David

du8die wrote:
    My first assignment post.

2876781865_e719b095e4_o_d.jpg

EXIF:
    50mm
    ISO 200
    F/2.2
    1/8
    Lit with ambient lighting and a Maglight flashlight with a kleenex taped to it as a diffuser. ne_nau.gif

My own critique...

I wanted the logo to be in focus, and it seems to be, but so are the strings, so I have two focal points. I'm not experienced enough to know why that happened, or how to correct it, other than that they're at the same depth, lens-wise, even though they are physically far apart. I didn't necessarily want to crop it, because I didn't want to lose the fact that it is a guitar...

Edit: On second look, and looking more closely at the guitar, the logo and the place where the strings are in focus are the same depth... Oh Well.
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    Wow, was I wrong. :)
    cmason wrote:
    Actually the red light only confirms which sensor is being used, to confirm focus, you need to look for the green dot on the right hand side of the viewfinder. If you have focus, the green dot will show when you push the button down halfway, otherwise, it will not show.

OK. Interesting. Thank you. I guess this is a situation for me where assumptions are far less accurate than reading the manual. mwink.gif

Thanks!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    Thank You
    My comments may be out of place on this forum, however I do think this is not only an exceptional shot for the assignment but it is a really great shot too. You should let Taylor see this!

Cheers,
    David

Thank You David.

I'll definitely consider it. I've never done anything like that, so would have no idea how to approach it. Any suggestions? Maybe PM would be a better place to chat about this?

Thanks
    d8

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    Hmm...
    This is a crop of a wide shot. I had little time to rotate the brolly and snap it off. It was shot at f/2.8 so DOF worked really well for me here.
    David, nice "catrait" (tm:-)thumb.gif Good lighting!
    A bit too centered and a bit loose crop for my taste though..
    Also, despite f/2.8 I was looking for even shallower DOF mostly by decreasing the distance to the subject.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Ok, another try. Nothing has been cropped from the front (since that's the assignment!), but I did trim the back and sides a little (to exclude the distracting edge and handle of the case)

Since it's now daylight, this was actually the new flash mixed with some ambient light streaming through the part-closed living room shutters, which was kind of cool. Still learning how to manipulate the camera with the flash; this was AV 1/100 @4.0 with the flash bounced up on the ceiling w/FEC subtracting a stop and a half (I think). I did, in the end, stick with AF, but the improved and different light meant that the ole 50mm cooperated a little better!

flue2.JPG
  • Options
    divamum wrote:
    Ok, another try. Nothing has been cropped from the front (since that's the assignment!), but I did trim the back and sides a little (to exclude the distracting edge and handle of the case)

Since it's now daylight, this was actually the new flash mixed with some ambient light streaming through the part-closed living room shutters, which was kind of cool. Still learning how to manipulate the camera with the flash; this was AV 1/100 @4.0 with the flash bounced up on the ceiling w/FEC subtracting a stop and a half (I think). I did, in the end, stick with AF, but the improved and different light meant that the ole 50mm cooperated a little better!
    I like it! Thank you. very nice entry! Glad you worked it out with 50mm!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like it! Thank you. very nice entry! Glad you worked it out with 50mm!

Thanks! I actually am sad I didn't have the flash last week... I could've played around with this idea for "Polished" in #8.... :D

Also, I think I misspoke: this must have been on either shutter or P, since when in AV I was using 2.0 to go for shallowest dof possible; the fact that the EXIF says this is 4.0 suggests the camera chose the aperture.... hmmmm...

Which all begs the question - how on earth does one REMEMBER settings after the fact when there are so many variables? Exif is great as far as it goes, but it doesn't seem to tell me everything. Do all you pros take notes so you remember, or is it just trial, error and practice? A way to access full info form the EXIF that I haven't learned about yet? Just curious :)

Thanks again!
  • Options
    divamum wrote:
    Which all begs the question - how on earth does one REMEMBER settings after the fact when there are so many variables? Exif is great as far as it goes, but it doesn't seem to tell me everything. Do all you pros take notes so you remember, or is it just trial, error and practice? A way to access full info form the EXIF that I haven't learned about yet? Just curious :)

Thanks again!

You mean, apart from EXIF, i.e. lighting setup/settings and such? I guess I simply try to remember what worked and what not (mostly importantly what didn't:-). After a while you start noticing patterns and it becomes much easier altoghether, since you don't have to remember "usecases", you can build the one you need quickly each time from scratch.
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    divamum wrote:

The other thing you can do is shine a flashlight at the point where you want to focus. Once you lock in the focus switch to manual. I am pretty sure I picked up this tip on Dgrin somewhere.
  • Options
    ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    My new camera is still breaking me in, but I am learning...
    379676489_5F735-L.jpg
    Unfortunatly I was not equipped well for this, the lens that I had to use was a 50mm f/1.8 the kit lens only got me down to f/3.5... too much depth for this?
  • Options
    Chillwag wrote:
    My new camera is still breaking me in, but I am learning...
    Unfortunatly I was not equipped well for this, the lens that I had to use was a 50mm f/1.8 the kit lens only got me down to f/3.5... too much depth for this?
    Thank you, good shallow DOF! thumb.gif
    Now let's try to some more interesting subject and play with lighting, too:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    ChillwagChillwag Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you, good shallow DOF! thumb.gif
    Now let's try to some more interesting subject and play with lighting, too:-) mwink.gif

Started new thread for dgrin challenge "A dusky try for #9"
  • Options
    Focus
    cmason wrote:

Just for clarity, I looked this up in the manual for the 40d, because I was still confused...

"If you press the shutter button halfway during manual focusing, the active AF point and the focus confirmation light in the viewfinder will light when focus is achieved."

So yes, when focus is achieved, both the AF point and the green dot in the corner of the viewfinder will light. I believe that if one lights the other will always be lit as well...

d8

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2008
    Let me express my desire for a 5D Mark II in fresh espresso beans :)
    380191181_Pvg9z-L.jpg
    Shot with a 40D + 50mm F/1.4 @ F/1.4, handheld ISO 800 just 3 minutes ago :) Sharpening in post + WB adjustment, nothing more, nothing less :)
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    :)

Mik, Mik, is that really you? thumb.gif Where have you been hiding?

ann
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Mik, Mik, is that really you? thumb.gif Where have you been hiding?

ann
    Under a big Rock Ann :) a very big rock I might add! I've been totally un-D-grinned but I'm getting it back together again, so you are going to see more of me from now on mwink.gif

Nice to be remembered thumb.gif thanks Ann!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    Let me express my desire for a 5D Mark II in fresh espresso beans :)
    Shot with a 40D + 50mm F/1.4 @ F/1.4, handheld ISO 800 just 3 minutes ago :) Sharpening in post + WB adjustment, nothing more, nothing less :)
    Welcome back, bru! clap.gif
    Nice shallow DOF! thumb.gif
  • Options
    DeathToDigitalDeathToDigital Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Does this count?

The_Virgin_Rose_by_Blue_Hour.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/64 second
    F Number: F/5.6
    Focal Length: 55 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2008
    Does this count?
    Shutter Speed: 1/64 second
    F Number: F/5.6
    Focal Length: 55 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    It's a shallow DOF, yes, but the idea was to get one subject and have only tiny (front) part of it in focus...
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's a shallow DOF, yes, but the idea was to get one subject and have only tiny (front) part of it in focus...

I'll think up a better subject to focus on. Then, I'll re-shoot.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2008
    Does this count? The most important part of the subject, in this case, is the 'eye'
    Abby_the_Prowler_by_Blue_Hour.jpg
  • Options
    Does this count? The most important part of the subject, in this case, is the 'eye'
    Not really, no. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not really, no. ne_nau.gif

Cripes! Alright, think and re-think the subject time. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    A piece of wood that has washed down the river.

383660099_fDUDp-XL.jpg
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    sdways01 wrote:
    A piece of wood that has washed down the river.
    Nice entry, great image! thumb.gif
  • Options
    idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2008
    Orcish
    I tried to light this little Orcs face, but I wasn't able to keep the chest from being lit at the same time. I might keep trying.

ISO400, F/2.8, 60mm, 1/125s shutter speed.

384814820_f8rh6-L.jpg

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2008
    idiom wrote:
    I tried to light this little Orcs face, but I wasn't able to keep the chest from being lit at the same time. I might keep trying.
    ISO400, F/2.8, 60mm, 1/125s shutter speed.
    Thanks.
    Thank you!
    Yeah, chest is definitely overlit :-(