Future Annual Dgrin/Smugmug Shootouts

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited June 2, 2012 in The Big Picture
A few years ago Andy had a vision for an event for our community. He wanted a bunch of us to get together and shoot someplace beautiful. He picked up the phone and gave a call to someone he'd not met before, Marc Muench. Together, they planned the first shootout at Yosemite, and it was a huge success.

I was at that shootout, and it really fired me up about Dgrin and photography. It was a fantastic experience, where I made some great friends and learned a ton.

From the start the emphasis of the shootouts have been community and education. Getting together, having fun, and learning. :D The thing is, with a group this large and the logistics being the way they are, we -- Andy, Marc and me, mostly -- have had to set up the whole thing. You can't just tell that many people to show up at Yosemite, or Arches, or wherever. You need to coordinate, and that means reserving rooms, putting down money, etc.

Because we've set up the shootouts like this, we've gotten away a little from the original intent: community. The longer we continue the shootouts this way, the more people see it as something coming from "the man." There are all these great plans made pre/post shootout, but the central shootout itself is still a kind of top-down operation. We really want to strengthen the community-driven aspect of the shootouts. We want it to be more of a bottom-up thing. We want more community in it.

So, here's what we're doing:

We've formed a committee to oversee the shootouts, starting with the one in 2009. They don't work for SmugMug, they aren't moderators, they're just active members of our community who are excited about helping, and about making the shootouts a better experience. Most importantly, they'll be making sure that the shootouts fit our original vision: a community experience.

So, please give a big round of applause to: aktse, Ann McRae, Llywellyn and Nikolai!

:bow

Oh, and since we're counting on the community to make our shootouts shine, feel free to post away in this thread with your ideas and input. Aktse, Ann McRae, Llywellyn and Nikolai are leading the charge, but the success of these events relies on everyone! :deal
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    Very interesting idea and it could be a very good thing. I have a few locations in mind but will reserve my thoughts until after this shootout since it will be my first. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Very interesting idea and it could be a very good thing. I have a few locations in mind but will reserve my thoughts until after this shootout since it will be my first. deal.gif
    I guess you'll have a first-hand chance to vent them out pretty soon:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess you'll have a first-hand chance to vent them out pretty soon:-) mwink.gif

Yeap- lots of hours and miles to do it too. lol3.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Yeap- lots of hours and miles to do it too. lol3.gif

So Nik I hope you bring earmuffs, headphones, earplugs, mace... I have a few ideas too! :thwak

Smart man, that David TO. Gets you guys to be his filter naughty.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    jdryan3 wrote:
    So Nik I hope you bring earmuffs, headphones, earplugs, mace... I have a few ideas too! :thwak
    Did somebody say something? mwink.gif
    lol thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    jdryan3 wrote:

Post 'em here! thumb.gif ...And continue to use Nik as your punching bag. mwink.gif
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Post 'em here! thumb.gif ...And continue to use Nik as your punching bag. mwink.gif
    Seriously, guys, don't hold back. Have an idea - spit it out here. deal.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    My idea would to document whole America from historic to natural one by one
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    OK: how about MORE shootouts, and more locations? Would love to attend, but it rarely is feasible to find a week and plane ticket to some remote location. How about a weekend say in Washington DC or somewhere central? (as an east-coaster, this makes sense to me mwink.gif) Fly in one of the SM pros, and lets spend a Sat/Sun shooting like mad?
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    Woot! wings.gif

Hey Nikolai, since I spent most of my free time prowling around the remote regions of the California deserts, if you decide to do any shootouts along that line I'd love to help out. History, natural science, I know where a lot of hidden gems are that accessible with a regular SUV or truck, but still remote enough that it's best to go with someone else.

Actually I'm making myself available for any help at all you might need in putting together shootouts out this way.

It wouldn't involve the entire country, but I'd love to see a few groups in different states get together to photograph their section of the Mother Road - Route 66. It's almost too late....would make a great book. Great opportunity for some creative night photography. I'm dying to do it myself but I haven't found anyone crazy enough to be interested.
    cmason wrote:
    OK: how about MORE shootouts, and more locations? Would love to attend, but it rarely is feasible to find a week and plane ticket to some remote location. How about a weekend say in Washington DC or somewhere central? (as an east-coaster, this makes sense to me mwink.gif) Fly in one of the SM pros, and lets spend a Sat/Sun shooting like mad?
    Uhm, OK, let's be very clear on one thing... This particular shootout is very different from all the other ongoing and future workshops, meetups and gatherings.
    First, its organization is done by a few volunteers - originally mostly by DavidTO, starting next year by our little task team. At this point we really can't do it more than once a year.
    Second, while it's community-organized, it's still sponsored by Smuggie. More events means more $$ needed to back them up, and AFAIK (Andy will correct me if I'm wrong) that's not feasible at the moment.

This doesn't mean that there cannot be more/other shootouts. It simply means that all he other ones will have to go through the different organizational rounds. It is doable, it has been done before and I'm sure more of those will happen in the future. However in this case we only talking about One Annual Dgrin/Smugmug Shootout - and, just like in the movie Highlander, "there can be only one" mwink.gif
    OffTopic wrote:
    Woot! wings.gif

Hey Nikolai, since I spent most of my free time prowling around the remote regions of the California deserts, if you decide to do any shootouts along that line I'd love to help out. History, natural science, I know where a lot of hidden gems are that accessible with a regular SUV or truck, but still remote enough that it's best to go with someone else.

Actually I'm making myself available for any help at all you might need in putting together shootouts out this way.

It wouldn't involve the entire country, but I'd love to see a few groups in different states get together to photograph their section of the Mother Road - Route 66. It's almost too late....would make a great book. Great opportunity for some creative night photography. I'm dying to do it myself but I haven't found anyone crazy enough to be interested.

Lori,
    Mother Road is a great idea! And we definitely can appreciate extra help (we do need local experts to help the pros to lead the teams), so if push comes to shove, don't be surprised if you receive a PM on that mwink.gif
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    cmason wrote:

For the record, there was a weekend shoot in Washington DC organised by a group of dgrinners back in April.

279970311_tsB6f-L.jpg

There is nothing stopping a group of dgrinners from organising this themselves. thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    devbobo wrote:
    For the record, there was a weekend shoot in Washington DC organised by a group of dgrinners back in April.
    There is nothing stopping a group of dgrinners from organising this themselves. thumb.gif
    Thanks David, my point exactly! thumb.gif
    We can treat The One as a family reunion kinda stuff. You can't have it too often. Yet it rekindles the old flames, sparkles the new ones, and if after that more firendships occur and more local gatherings happen - that's exactly what we're trying to achieve. deal.gif
    Understand, but you asked for ideas headscratch.gif
    cmason wrote:
    Understand, but you asked for ideas headscratch.gif
    Yes indeed, for the ideas for *this annual shotout*. And now we also know that these ideas have to meet simple, but specific requirements: one time, one place per year. So let me say it again: bring it on. thumb.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    Annual Shootout: topic of this thread, and a (generously) smugmug sponsored event. Right now we are looking for input on location and thoughts on how to make it work best for dgrinners in general.

Regional shootouts (like the one referenced by devbobo, above...btw, what a great photo!) can be made to happen pretty easily - I managed to initiate two this spring that I tacked on to work trips, by simply starting a thread. Those threads, we will put into the locations forum.

I understand that this was easier for me because I've had the pleasure of meeting several others before, and so maybe a facilitator is needed to give those some traction. That could happen with a call for volunteers, perhaps. If there is critical mass behind trying to organize semi regular, but yet still spontanoeus eek7.gif , independent local gatherings, lets talk about that over there.

How's that sound?

ann
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    Ideas for the trip in 2009.

Acadia National Park in Maine.

Acadia Link

I've never been there, I've never been to Maine, but I think in the fall of the year, with the
    leaves changing colors in that whole New England area, it could be a pre shooters dream, along
    with a shoot out that should have some great scenery, and hopefully wildlife.

The only thing that could make it ugly, would be bad weather.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    davev wrote:
    The only thing that could make it ugly, would be bad weather.
    Which can happen here.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Suggestion for location
    Howdy-

First thanks to the volunteers, being involved in a few other volunteer run orgs I know the time commitment you just stepped up to help with. Also thanks to the informal organizers as well. I agree with DevBobo that if someone wants a regional event, there is nothing stopping them. In one of the other orgs I am a leader in, someone asked me what they had to do to host an event. My answer, post where, when, what, and that was it. It is just like throwing a party at your house... invite your friends, ask them to RSVP so you can plan and away you go.

Now in terms of where to have this event, I have a request/suggestion for location. Some place within 100 miles of a "major hub" airport assuming it is in the US. The big reason for that is that it will probably keep the transport options much more cost competitive. Flying in and out of Chicago is a much more competitive since so many airlines do it compared to say, Gillette Wyoming.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    Now in terms of where to have this event, I have a request/suggestion for location. Some place within 100 miles of a "major hub" airport assuming it is in the US. The big reason for that is that it will probably keep the transport options much more cost competitive. Flying in and out of Chicago is a much more competitive since so many airlines do it compared to say, Gillette Wyoming.
    Brad, that point is understandable, but, honestly, if given a chance to shoot one of the seven wonders of the world (say, Machu Picchu:-) to which you'd have to travel a week on mules, vs shooting a community park from the terrace of 5*star hotel lounge in your own city, what would be your choice? mwink.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brad, that point is understandable, but, honestly, if given a chance to shoot one of the seven wonders of the world (say, Machu Picchu:-) to which you'd have to travel a week on mules, vs shooting a community park from the terrace of 5*star hotel lounge in your own city, what would be your choice? mwink.gif

Works for me; and I understand. I just figure it never hurts to mention it. I think I have enough frequent flier miles to get to me airfare to Peru at least but I am not sure how to convert those to mule miles ;) Also with my level of shooting skill, I would be just as happy learning from some DGrinners in a hotel ballroom in Detroit. :)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    Central, affordable....
    I think that you have to have it accessible and centrail and affordable where there are facilities to serve everyone who wants to come and offers a variety of shooting opportunities close enough for a day trip since there is a broad range of interests. Not everyone wants to go camping or is into landscape or urban or wildlife but there are some locales where you can have a broad base of interests for everyone, like San Diego has the zoo for the wildlifers, the ocean for some good beach shots, people are everywhere. San Francisco offers a bit more. Denver and Seattle have some good possibilites too across the range. East Coast in Fall - of course. Denver is great in August - San Francisco too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    (sorry wasn't intending to be snippy, just sharing my thoughts)

I would love to shoot:

Iceland
    New Zealand (south)
    Canadian Rockies (Lake Louise, Banff Springs or other less touristy area)
    Glacier National Park (before it melts)
    Yosemite
    Tanzania/Great Rift Valley
    Blue Ridge Parkway in Fall
    Vermont in Fall
    Danube River Photo shoot

Cities: Rome, Paris, New York

Machu Picchu of course would be great, but to me that is more of an adventure hike/tour, rather than a photoshoot. In other words, I am not sure I would be doing that much shooting, as I would be too distracted.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lori,
    Mother Road is a great idea! And we definitely can appreciate extra help (we do need local experts to help the pros to lead the teams), so if push comes to shove, don't be surprised if you receive a PM on that mwink.gif

Sure, you wait until the pushing and shoving starts before calling me! rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I would be very happy to volunteer any help you need. Even mundane admin stuff.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    OffTopic wrote:
    As a resident of the town that calls itself "The Heart of Route 66", I would be highly supportive of such an endeavor. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    kdog wrote:
    As a resident of the town that calls itself "The Heart of Route 66", I would be highly supportive of such an endeavor. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    Lori, Joel, why don't you guys start a dedicated "Route 66" thread in "Location, Location, Location" or "Journey" section? I think it's a great initiative that deserves special attention. thumb.gif Many people would probably gladly play ball on that... deal.gif And then Schmoo would help to create a Blurb book, right Steph? mwink.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    And then Schmoo would help to create a Blurb book, right Steph? mwink.gif

Any time! I'm here, as always. :D
  • FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    I think the variety of locations of past shootouts has been great, but I'd like to see it make to the east side of the Mississippi at least once every few years. I've done some looking and it looks like the 4 shootouts up to this year have taken place in Yosemite (CA), Bryce/Zion (UT), Glacier (MT), and Arches/Canyonlands (UT). These average out to 11 hours from LA, and 38 hours from NY. Don't get me wrong, these have all been great locations, however people living on the east coast haven't really had a shootout within a day's drive, and the cost of the flight combined with the travel time, played a significant part in my decision to cancel my attendance at the shootout when some other things came up. A few ideas for a venue on the other side of the country would include Acadia, ME (already mentioned), Shenandoah, VA (has the advantage of 3 major airports within 3 hours), Great Smokey Mountains TN, Everglades FL, and Adirondaks, NY.
    --Travis
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Foochar wrote:
    I think the variety of locations of past shootouts has been great, but I'd like to see it make to the east side of the Mississippi at least once every few years. I've done some looking and it looks like the 4 shootouts up to this year have taken place in Yosemite (CA), Bryce/Zion (UT), Glacier (MT), and Arches/Canyonlands (UT). These average out to 11 hours from LA, and 38 hours from NY. Don't get me wrong, these have all been great locations, however people living on the east coast haven't really had a shootout within a day's drive, and the cost of the flight combined with the travel time, played a significant part in my decision to cancel my attendance at the shootout when some other things came up. A few ideas for a venue on the other side of the country would include Acadia, ME (already mentioned), Shenandoah, VA (has the advantage of 3 major airports within 3 hours), Great Smokey Mountains TN, Everglades FL, and Adirondaks, NY.
    Thanks for the suggestions! thumb.gif We'll put them on the list!

You are correct that the shootouts have been east side of the Mississippi, but there have been other events near the East Coast. Muench Workshops did hold one in Shenandoah and there is the Merritt Island Wildlife Shoot in Florida.

Keep the ideas coming ear.gif