Options

>DSS #8 (Weathered or Polished) Feedback Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Thanks to all of those top 10 lists I made! I'm very honored - I thought the image was a bit on the mundane side when I took it. What's funny is that sometimes the simplest pictures make for great images.

My top 10(sorry it's not fancy - very limited computer access this week):

#4 Polished Off!
    #8 Rusted Blue II
    #9 Splintered
    #22 Polished Poodle
    #24 Nearsighted
    #35 Purple Plums - Picked in their Prime - Poised for a Picture
    #54 Precision
    #55 Enlightened
    #58 Climbers Trust
    #90 1916

Great round!! Loved all the photos! clap.gif
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    Lots of great photos this round, and what a great turn out, Its nice to see more and more new members joining in as the contest continues!
    Thanks to all who added me to there top 10, and good luck to all!!!

Here is my top 10 in no particular order.

378616046_cZ5bX-XL.jpg
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    Thank you pemmett, Anita, Linda, Winston, knapph, Travis, Gage, Stephanie, and Dan for including me in your favs. Thank you to the whole gang for pushing me to stretch myself. The improvements are starting to show. Good luck everyone!

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    The judges' feedback for our top tens are now in the first post of this thread. thumb.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    Thanks to those that gave me a mention in their top ten! This was an awesome challenge with so many amazing entries. Good luck to the finalists! clap.gif
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    my other top 10
    378715424_VuPXs-M.jpg

I truly hope you all forgive me but I can not make the time this week to give a critique to all the entries. (man there are a lot of them!!) There are so many wonderful entries and it was hard to pick 10. I actually had a top 20 :D

Here are the ones that almost got in for me but for one reason or another I went with the other 10 photos.

If you have a question on why I didn't pick yours or really want a critique from me please send me a PM and will answer as soon as I can.

PS. Shatch, I love "Enlightend" It actually is one of my absolute favorites but... call me dizty... I just can't figure out what it has to do with weathered or polished... sorry headscratch.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I appreciate those of you who thought that "Nearsighted" merited a place among your favorites. I must admit that I had trouble narrowing down 10 choices. I could have nearly picked 2 top tens!

Best of luck to everyone! mwink.gif

And I realise I didn't include Jeffraux's in my earlier post with my favorites, which I had meant to (which pushes my list to 16... really decisive, huh?!)

I truly can't begin to imagine judging this - I had enough trouble casting my vote, since three of the images which made the finalist list were all "tied for first" in my mind, and at least two of the ones which I *loved* didn't make it at all.

But most importantly - despite competitive spirit, the satisfaction of achievement and, let's face it, prizes!!! - I don't think it actually matters who "wins" because everybody who's been playing or following has won already simply by being privileged to share in the creation of these extraordinary images. I admit it - I'm hooked!

Congrats to all!!
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    Emily, Karrie, thanks so much for including my ear of corn in your top 10... and thanks to Linda for the advise! I hardly ever vignette anything...

I did notice that no old buildings or parts of buildings were chosen, so I guess I made the right decision in changing my entry from the window to the corn!

thanks to all who liked my shot!

Winston
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    Thanks to those who included my image in their "top Ten" ! I really did not expect it to make it on anyone's list--there were so many strong images to choose from. Good luck to those that made it to the voting round.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    Thanks to all that included me on their lists.

congrats to all and ofcourse the top lists.
  • Options
    idiomidiom Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    tlee wrote:
    Thanks to those who included my image in their "top Ten" ! I really did not expect it to make it on anyone's list--there were so many strong images to choose from. Good luck to those that made it to the voting round.

Tlee, you were like 11 on my list. :( I love the color in your photo.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    ...and thanks to Linda for the advise! I hardly ever vignette anything...
    My pleasure! thumb.gif Glad it worked out for you.

And thanks to cmkultradome and dlplumer for including me in your favorites. Karrie, thanks for including that outhouse in your top 20. :D

Congrats to all who made the top 10! clap.gif
  • Options
    shutterbugladyshutterbuglady Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    As a newbie to these challenges, I'm thrilled that some of you selected my photo "Old Glory" as one of your top 10 favorites!

Thanks for the boost. :D
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    Karrie McD wrote:

PS. Shatch, I love "Enlightend" It actually is one of my absolute favorites but... call me dizty... I just can't figure out what it has to do with weathered or polished... sorry headscratch.gif

First of all...Thank you Karrie McD and Green Squared for your time in judging. This is a great opportunity to learn and grow and wouldn't happen unless good people like you volunteered. Thanks!!!

Next...a big congrats to all the finalists! Good luck on the vote. BTW, I like not being able to see the count tallie! Good decision!

Ok...the story behind "Enlightened". In the original post, the idea was presented to stretch the interpretation and look at it creatively. Also an appeal to be creative in your use of lighting to highlight your interpretation.

So...a synonym for "polished" is "Shiny". One of the meanings of Shiny is to illuminate. To illuminate can mean multiple things such as, "Give off light", but also to expand or stretch an understanding. In addition, polished can also mean refined, or educated. So a combination of all of these interpretations put me within the interpretation (I thought), but also far enough away from the obvious that I felt it would be creative.

I wasn't going to enter this round, until I saw my little girl (7) walking around with a lamp shade on her head. Bells went off and I started throwing together lights. It was fun. Glad I did it.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    shatch wrote:
    First of all...Thank you Karrie McD and Green Squared for your time in judging. This is a great opportunity to learn and grow and wouldn't happen unless good people like you volunteered. Thanks!!!

Next...a big congrats to all the finalists! Good luck on the vote. BTW, I like not being able to see the count tallie! Good decision!

Ok...the story behind "Enlightened". In the original post, the idea was presented to stretch the interpretation and look at it creatively. Also an appeal to be creative in your use of lighting to highlight your interpretation.

So...a synonym for "polished" is "Shiny". One of the meanings of Shiny is to illuminate. To illuminate can mean multiple things such as, "Give off light", but also to expand or stretch an understanding. In addition, polished can also mean refined, or educated. So a combination of all of these interpretations put me within the interpretation (I thought), but also far enough away from the obvious that I felt it would be creative.

I wasn't going to enter this round, until I saw my little girl (7) walking around with a lamp shade on her head. Bells went off and I started throwing together lights. It was fun. Glad I did it.

You were assuming that we are that smart! rolleyes1.gif I loved the image but I admit that I didn't make the connection. I'm still looking forward to seeing behind the scenes.

I recall a few times that I walked around with a lamp shade on my head. Too bad i can't blame it on youth. mwink.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    shatch wrote:

I too admit, I wasn't quite sure where the connection was..but I have to say that I always look forward to seeing your entries! They always stand out as being very creative/ entertaining/ unique..struggling to find the right word, but you know what I mean. I wish I had half of your creativeness!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    Thank you to everyone that included my image in their top ten and to Emily for including me in your top 10.
    This has totally made my day! :D
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    MrsCue wrote:
    Thank you to everyone that included my image in their top ten and to Emily for included me in your top 10.
    This has totally made my day! :D

I ditto what she said! :D I'm kinda floored and feel oh so lucky!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Thanks for the top tens pyro and greensquared! Man, these competitions are getting more and more talented and strong. I tried to get away from people photos for contests... ne_nau.gif if that is working in my favor... Good luck everyone and this was a tough round. Good luck on the sunsets/rises.:D
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    idiom wrote:
    Tlee, you were like 11 on my list. :( I love the color in your photo.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    Hi guys,

I really hate this but I'm having a tough week and don't think I'll be able to get to full feedback for Round #8. I can probably be talked into it if you really want me to and don't mind waiting a while, or if any of you want to PM me and request specific feedback, that's fine too.

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    agilepawzagilepawz Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Belated thanks!
    I just wanted to say thanks to those that chose "Got milk?" for their top 10 list. I continue to be amazed at how much can be learned by visiting these boards.

My computer got hijacked by malware, and had to be whiped clean, but I thought I'd send a belated thanks, and a huge congrats to the finalists.

Michele
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Even more belated...!
    I'm travelling, so not many chances to go online just now.

Thanks to Karrie McD for choosing Lucid Dream for voting, and for your enthusiastic comments, Karrie. And thanks to the people who voted for it. It was a big encouragement!

Appreciation to Greensquared for your work, and to all at DGrin/Smugmug.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix