Autumn on Mt. Baker

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 18, 2008 in Landscapes
But first, the story...

I drove up to Mt. Baker last Sunday to take some photos of Mt. Shuksan/Mt. Baker and fall color (not the only dgrinner to do so apparently), and was greeted with at least a hundred people, many of them photographers with tripods, around Picture Lake. There was a group of photographers who had their walkie-talkies on full blast and were using them to carry on a conversation even though they were 15 feet apart (on a lake that's no more than 1/4 mile around anyway). I was ready to throw them into the water but that would have ruined the reflection of cars from the people who thoughtfully decided to park right in front of the lake. On one occasion, while I was in the middle of an exposure, another photographer stepped right in front of my camera and setup his tripod, he then turned around and waved at me. I waved back with one finger (not really, but I wanted to, and the fact that I didn't explode in a string of expletives throughout the entire experience shows a level of restraint that has eluded me in the past. I'm still debating whether that's a good thing).

I left the throng at Picture Lake frustrated, and drove up a few miles to Artist Point, walked about 1/2 mile to a tarn that had a reflection of Mt. Shuksan and the crowds thinned out (there is something to be said for actually having to expend a minimal amount of effort to reach a location, it seems the crowds drop off exponentially).

I took Wednesday off from work so that I could actually photograph in relative peace and get the bad taste out of my mouth from Sunday. After shooting Mt. Baker at sunrise, I hiked on the Chain Lakes trail (an 8-mile trail with lots of fall color, several alpine lakes, and great views of Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan) and only saw 5 other people over a period of 5 hours of hiking and taking photos. Much better!

Anyway, here are the photos from both days.

#1:

385534686_tJRVh-L.jpg

#2:

385536334_t4i28-L.jpg

#3:

385536987_67PZu-L.jpg

#4:

386325844_cGL2H-L.jpg

#5:

386341406_R3Fkb-L.jpg

#6:

386413952_z246F-L.jpg

#7:

385512930_7UHve-L.jpg

#8:

386503656_ZbqDf-L.jpg

#9:

386382052_HxdR6-L.jpg

#10:

386334656_pRg6T-L.jpg

#11:

386334697_AQhP6-L.jpg

#12 (couldn't resist a pika shot...):

386336142_j8Nqc-L.jpg

Comments

• Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Awesome ! I like 4, 5 the best and good comp on the critter

http://dwayneoakes.zenfolio.com

Take care Dwayne Oakes
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Glad you went back, Ron, but really when this is the subject how can you be angry at the huddled masses! Absolutely gorgeous!

ann
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    ok.....i refuse to comment on these shots:bluduh

wait a minute...hold on....cant keep it in....wings.gif
    great series Ron!...

hey when i was up there last sunday i found all the photogs very fun and friendly....
    i waved to one nice fellow that was setup behind me...we must have the same eye for composition...
    Aaron Nelson
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Number bowdown.gif 4 my fav hands down!
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    terrific series, Ron... that area is so wonderfully scenic, you really can't go wrong... i especially loved # 4,5, 10 and 11, but they're all great shots...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Great series good to see you made it back up there I agree that Sunday the 27th was a mess. So true just a little hike and the hordes of people drop like flies. Going to call on my accounts in Bellingham week of Oct 13 hopefully there is some color left.

Ray Still
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Very, VERY, cool shots. Thanks for those. I lived in the Alpine Lake Wilderness of Snoqualmie Pass for over a decade, and am willing to say, "what happened" (so many people)!?! On a high note...I have this bit of good news...

Around ten years ago, a volunteer fire dept. and the DOE sent some divers into the Alpine lakes to clean the edges of these lakes. They picked some of the most popular ones, that they thought had been getting hit hard with traffic, and they sent in divers to remove debris ie; broken glass, beer cans, etc. from the edges of the lakes I was a volunteer fireman at the time and helped with Snow Lake, which is a HEAVY TRAFFIC lake at Alpental. The good news...the trash was old, the newest being about ten years old, according to a Dept. of Ecology guy. So, given, the trails are getting worked hard: The message is out there, "Pack it in, Pack it out". The data amazed me.

I guess we still have the common problem of etiquette, but at least some are understanding responsibility.

PS: Sorry to rant/rave your post...My favorite by far is #12. I see them in the scree fields some, but didn't know their name.
    Growing with Dgrin

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    These are just stunning! Picture book quality, as far as I'm concerned. Every day my urge to move out there gets stronger and stronger.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifRestraint.... good for you. bowdown.gif

Darn right sweet images. Very well done. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Pika is just digging the day. :D Michael
    Michael
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    hey when i was up there last sunday i found all the photogs very fun and friendly....
    i waved to one nice fellow that was setup behind me...we must have the same eye for composition...

Jeezzee.... rolleyes1.gif
    Michael
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Glad you went back, Ron, but really when this is the subject how can you be angry at the huddled masses! Absolutely gorgeous!

ann

I don't blame the *entire* huddled masses, just the majority :D

It's actually my fault, I should have anticipated that it would be busy.
    edited October 5, 2008
    ok.....i refuse to comment on these shots:bluduh

wait a minute...hold on....cant keep it in....wings.gif
    great series Ron!...

Aaron, if that was you, do you really think I would have let you get away with it? You would have ended up cold and wet, and I would have had a new (used) 5D :D
    edited October 5, 2008
    squirl033 wrote:
    terrific series, Ron... that area is so wonderfully scenic, you really can't go wrong... i especially loved # 4,5, 10 and 11, but they're all great shots...

Thanks, I agree, it's beautiful out there, I could spend a few weeks taking photos and only begin to capture it.
    edited October 5, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Very, VERY, cool shots. Thanks for those. I lived in the Alpine Lake Wilderness of Snoqualmie Pass for over a decade, and am willing to say, "what happened" (so many people)!?! On a high note...I have this bit of good news...

Around ten years ago, a volunteer fire dept. and the DOE sent some divers into the Alpine lakes to clean the edges of these lakes. They picked some of the most popular ones, that they thought had been getting hit hard with traffic, and they sent in divers to remove debris ie; broken glass, beer cans, etc. from the edges of the lakes I was a volunteer fireman at the time and helped with Snow Lake, which is a HEAVY TRAFFIC lake at Alpental. The good news...the trash was old, the newest being about ten years old, according to a Dept. of Ecology guy. So, given, the trails are getting worked hard: The message is out there, "Pack it in, Pack it out". The data amazed me.

I guess we still have the common problem of etiquette, but at least some are understanding responsibility.

PS: Sorry to rant/rave your post...My favorite by far is #12. I see them in the scree fields some, but didn't know their name.

That's great news, I do think that the majority of hikers do act responsibly, and most are courteous. I've never really photographed the Alpine Lakes Wilderness even though it's so close, I need to get out there one of these days.

Those pika (pikas? I don't know the plural) are pretty amusing to watch, they were building nests, and scurrying between rocks with grass in their mouth. They sound like birds when they whistle. Besides them the only wildlife I saw was one marmot.
    edited October 5, 2008
    JenGrace wrote:
    These are just stunning! Picture book quality, as far as I'm concerned. Every day my urge to move out there gets stronger and stronger.

Thanks Jen!
    edited October 5, 2008
    wings.gif
    DaddyO wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifRestraint.... good for you. bowdown.gif

Darn right sweet images. Very well done. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Pika is just digging the day. :D Michael

Like I mentioned before, had I known that was Aaron, I wouldn't have shown any restraint :D
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Stunning!!! As usual...I always look forward to your posts. My faves are 1, 4, 5 ,6, 10. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Another fantastic series, Ron. Very well done!clap.gif
  • BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    WOW what a series!!! I like photos five and ten the most out of these!!!! Excellent work!!!
  • sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Fantastic series! 4, 5, 6 and pica are my favs but they're all great!
    http://sbarge.smugmug.com
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Wow!!
    Excellent photos!!! I'm a little envious.:D
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited October 6, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, here's two more:

#1 (Mt. Shuksan at sunrise, this is facing east which is why it's backlit, it's much better at sunset, after I took this photo I raced up to Mt. Baker which faces west hoping to get some of the pink clouds)

386324845_QiUSc-L.jpg

#2, The Painter

386385322_MKPSX-L.jpg
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Heh. Rough. Absolutely true on crowds, though -- it's alarming how few people will walk even 1/4 mile :-)

I really like #3, #4, #5, and #7.

Though, it looks like #5 perhaps your ND grad filter slipped a bit, and there's a bit too much highlight in the white now. Hand holding those grads?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    #4 is superb.

Nicely done!thumb.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    Shuksan at dawn... either you live someplace like Deming or Glacier, or you just got up at oh-stupid-thirty in the morning! :D but that's what ya gotta do to get pics like that. how did Baker turn out?

love "The Painter"...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2008
    No i cannot believe my eyes ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 6, 2008
    wonderfull shots Ron. like all.
    do you do any saturation adjustments or is it straight from raw files?
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
    edited October 6, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Heh. Rough. Absolutely true on crowds, though -- it's alarming how few people will walk even 1/4 mile :-)

I really like #3, #4, #5, and #7.

Though, it looks like #5 perhaps your ND grad filter slipped a bit, and there's a bit too much highlight in the white now. Hand holding those grads?

Guilty :D I shot that with a 2-stop because I can almost always notice a 3-stop when the horizon is not level (the effect is lessened a bit if I slowly move the filter up and down which I do sometimes). A 3 stop might have been better anyway. I tried to bring down the highlights in post a little but was lazy (I had too many photos to go through - I know that's not the right attitude, but hey!).
    edited October 6, 2008
    squirl033 wrote:
    Shuksan at dawn... either you live someplace like Deming or Glacier, or you just got up at oh-stupid-thirty in the morning! :D but that's what ya gotta do to get pics like that. how did Baker turn out?

love "The Painter"...

Oh-stupid-thirty :) I'm about 2.5 hours away in Bellevue. The best Mt. Baker sunrise photo from that day is #4. #5 was taken an hour or two after sunrise.
    edited October 6, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    wonderfull shots Ron. like all.
    do you do any saturation adjustments or is it straight from raw files?
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

I did levels and curves on all the photos (usually just moving the white and black points around). Some of the photos are blends from three exposures (using Photomatix). Most of the saturation comes from the lighting and the fact I was using a polarizer, several of the photos I actually had to decrease the saturation in post because it was too overwhelming (even for my tastes, and I love saturated photos).