• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 28, 2008
    Can't you use the force?
    rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    An update on this if I may continue to "think out loud"... further comment of course welcomed!

After adding everything up, I realise this is going to have to be a longer-term, piecemeal upgrade - I simply can't afford everything I want at once, and thus am going to do it in stages according to priority.

So, given that the thing I find most limiting at the moment is not IQ per se but missing shots because I can't adjust my settings fast enough, the camera body is the first thing I want to change so I can get something with slightly different handling.

Having explored the 30d and 40d, I think that ultimately the Xsi, despite its "entry-level" status, seems to accommodate more of what I want within my price range. It's lighter, smaller (actually, perhaps a little too small, but I figure I can easily add the grip later to beef it up if I find I need the extra ballast), and I want the large, bright screen (that screen is a thing of beauty!), live view, upgraded autofocus, and quicker access to the functions I use most. The XSi seems to do all of that at the price I can afford (still vacillating over whether to buy new or used, but that's another story entirely! eek7.gif )

Next, I want to replace the 28-105 (this is the Mk II 3.5, by the way, not the really bad original 28-105!). I'm thinking since I have the 70-210 and 55-250, something wider would be good, and something faster ALWAYS a bonus, and thus will be sniffing around for a Tamron 17-50 2.8. Am crossing fingers that Santa may chip in for that one so I won't have to wait TOO long for more toys... :)

Next will be the 50 1.8, which I'd like to upgrade to the 1.4.

And lastly, I'm wondering about the 85 1.8? I read good things about it, and the price is attractive...

In any case, does this all sound plausible to create a quality kit which will carry me forward for a couple of years? I've been a researching fool for the last week and my brain is kind of addled by it all, so any further pointers would be grand!!

Thanks again, oh mighty photographic gurus - you guys are great! bowdown.giflust
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 3, 2008
    It sounds like a good plan to me. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Me too! Won't even need the force with that kit:D
    edited November 3, 2008
    Me too! Won't even need the force with that kit:D

Thank goodness for that - I look really REALLY stupid with my hair wrapped in braids over my ears.... :D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    It sounds like a good basic plan. I think I would encourage you to ignore the 50 f/1.8 in favor of the f/1.4. I've had both and the 1.4 is head and shoulders above the 1.8.

The 85 f/1.8 is just too sweet for words, but a bit long when quarters are cramped - but you already know that.

The only change I would really make is to think long and hard about the Tammy. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS is such a SWEET lens. Yes, I know $$ are an issue, still it's something to think about for now or for the future.

But, yeah, if the Tammy doesn't hunt too bad (the 18-75 f/2.8 does a bit in dimmer light) then I think you have a solid plan!!
    edited November 3, 2008
    To clarify, I already own the 50mm 1.8, so yeah - I'm slavering over the thought of upgrading it to the 1.4 (ah me, USMiloveyou.gif.....) :D

Thanks for the continued input!!
    edited November 8, 2008
    First outing with the Xsi today. It arrived yesterday (just hours before I found out my main contract for next year may be collapsing and cancelled, but if we're going to suffer slings and arrows at least I'm going to do it with NICE TOYS. Still, verrry scary couple of days especially having just spent money on something which, by any standard is a "non-essential"... :uhoh But I digress. What's done is done...).

I am LOVING the way it handles, the screen and viewfinder make it sooo much easier for me, and it definitely has faster AF, all of which added up to more shots that I liked. YAY.

Have to handle them slightly differently in post (exposure and colour are both slightly different than the XT produces), but that's just learning the new gear, I presume (?)

Thanks again for all the pointers and advice! I'm very VERY happy with the choice so far :)
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    First outing with the Xsi today. It arrived yesterday (just hours before I found out my main contract for next year may be collapsing and cancelled, but if we're going to suffer slings and arrows at least I'm going to do it with NICE TOYS. Still, verrry scary couple of days especially having just spent money on something which, by any standard is a "non-essential"... :uhoh But I digress. What's done is done...).

I am LOVING the way it handles, the screen and viewfinder make it sooo much easier for me, and it definitely has faster AF, all of which added up to more shots that I liked. YAY.

Have to handle them slightly differently in post (exposure and colour are both slightly different than the XT produces), but that's just learning the new gear, I presume (?)

Thanks again for all the pointers and advice! I'm very VERY happy with the choice so far :)

Congrats M. I know you will be happy with that camera. clap.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:

let us know the contract status. and congrats on a sweet setup!
    remember you have in camera settingsthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson