Options

MyCanvas books and collages

Comments

• Options
    JPCanvasJPCanvas Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    I have noticed a few bugs on mycanvas.
    1. You should be prompted for a project name immediately so that you can quickly identify different projects that you may have not completed.

2. Most of my public galleries did not show when the import screen, even though I was logged in and choose "buy book" from a public gallery.

RogersDA, let me see if I can help with these.

#1 actually is not a bug that is the way it's supposed to work. Our intention is to get customers right into making a book before forcing them to have to name a project. We do however, allow you to provide a name for you projects anytime later in the MyProjects page of the site. I know this may not be the best experience for everyone and we will continue to evaluate.

#2 seems odd and may be a bug. But it may also have something to do with your settings in your SmugMug account. For the galleries that aren't showing up do you have them checked as "Protected" under your Security & Privacy settings in your SmugMug account? You can get to that by clicking on the "Tools" button towards the top of your gallery and then hitting the "Customize Gallery" in the drop down. On the new page that appears you can then scroll down to the Security & Privacy section. Also, if you don't mind, PM me your MyCanvas username so we can take a look to see if there is anything wrong with the account.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Ya, I'm having the same issues when making changes. Can't see the pics in the page thumbnail. I'm in the tweaking mode now, I've managed some workaround's as far as thumbnail usage. I've numbered all photos in smugmug using "add caption", that seems to work well, I just use search option in MyCanvas while using smugmug as a thumbnail viewer. I'm working on a dual screen at work at it seems to work well. When I go home and try the same thing on a single screen I'm sure I'll get fustrated again. I plan to see this project through, I have too much time invested into right now. I've sent msg's through their contact page, haven't recieved a response yet. Little dissapointed. I still like the artistic freedoom. Cheers

Grumpy, thanks for hanging in there, sorry about any issues you may be having. Let's take a look and see what's going on. PM me your MyCanvas username and I'll get our lead support to take a look.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    JPCanvas wrote:
    RogersDA, let me see if I can help with these.

#1 actually is not a bug that is the way it's supposed to work. Our intention is to get customers right into making a book before forcing them to have to name a project. We do however, allow you to provide a name for you projects anytime later in the MyProjects page of the site. I know this may not be the best experience for everyone and we will continue to evaluate.

#2 seems odd and may be a bug. But it may also have something to do with your settings in your SmugMug account. For the galleries that aren't showing up do you have them checked as "Protected" under your Security & Privacy settings in your SmugMug account? You can get to that by clicking on the "Tools" button towards the top of your gallery and then hitting the "Customize Gallery" in the drop down. On the new page that appears you can then scroll down to the Security & Privacy section. Also, if you don't mind, PM me your MyCanvas username so we can take a look to see if there is anything wrong with the account.
    PM sent....

Also the missing galleries are indeed right-click protected.
  • Options
    Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    PM sent....

Also the missing galleries are indeed right-click protected.
    My workaround for the right-click protection is to duplicate the photos in an unlisted gallery just for MyCanvas. I didn't want to forget to undo the right click. Hope this helps.
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    My workaround for the right-click protection is to duplicate the photos in an unlisted gallery just for MyCanvas. I didn't want to forget to undo the right click. Hope this helps.
    Yeah - that was part of the PM that I sent to John. I think that really takes away from the overall usefullness of creating a book. Imagine having to duplicate then move multiple photos fro multiple galleries - that could be quite time consuming. How many people will that affect? No idea. But, I can see people avoiding the book if that is what they had to do.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yeah - that was part of the PM that I sent to John. I think that really takes away from the overall usefullness of creating a book. Imagine having to duplicate then move multiple photos fro multiple galleries - that could be quite time consuming. How many people will that affect? No idea. But, I can see people avoiding the book if that is what they had to do.

Fortunately for me I already had my folder of most of the pics for this project on a remote drive. I had started this project weeks ago on Costco's book software, and I tried shutterbugs as well, MyCanvas has the most artistic freedom of all of them. They might have a few bugs to work out, but I'm sure they'll come around as long as they keep an eye on this thread. They seem to care so far. Cheers
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
  • Options
    fotofoolfotofool Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Another solution for galleries not showing up on MyCanvas
    Galleries will not show up on MyCanvas if external links are set to "no". For those of you having problems with galleries not showing up please try the following.
    • Customize the gallery that is not showing up so that external links is set to "yes".
    • Be sure to save the new settings.
    By the way, as far as we can tell the right-click protection setting does not affect the gallery visibility on MyCanvas. Thanks for your feedback and patience as we learn more about the settings on SmugMug and how they affect MyCanvas.
  • Options
    mountainpzmountainpz Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    Galleries will not show up on MyCanvas if external links are set to "no". For those of you having problems with galleries not showing up please try the following.
    • Customize the gallery that is not showing up so that external links is set to "yes".
    • Be sure to save the new settings.
    By the way, as far as we can tell the right-click protection setting does not affect the gallery visibility on MyCanvas. Thanks for your feedback and patience as we learn more about the settings on SmugMug and how they affect MyCanvas.

Is MyCanvas planning on offering different sizes in the future, such as panorama? I think many of us are hoping to print panoramas through SmugMug in the near future.
    - Paul

Paul Zizka Photography: zizka.smugmug.com
    The Blog - Twitter - Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2008
    mountainpz wrote:
    Is MyCanvas planning on offering different sizes in the future, such as panorama? I think many of us are hoping to print panoramas through SmugMug in the near future.

We'll consider anything that our customers want. The greater the demand, the greater the consideration. What specific dimensions would you be interested in?
  • Options
    mountainpzmountainpz Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    We'll consider anything that our customers want. The greater the demand, the greater the consideration. What specific dimensions would you be interested in?

A few different ratios between 1:3 and 1:8 would be awesome, with say 10" as the shortest dimension... Big prints!
    - Paul

Paul Zizka Photography: zizka.smugmug.com
    The Blog - Twitter - Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    Using pics as backgrounds
    So I cropped a pic I want to use to 8.5x11.5 ratio. It seems to be cropped when used as a background in the preview. Is this in fact true? Is the pic being cropped when used as a background? Thanks, Dave
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    So I cropped a pic I want to use to 8.5x11.5 ratio. It seems to be cropped when used as a background in the preview. Is this in fact true? Is the pic being cropped when used as a background? Thanks, Dave
    When a photo is used as a background we size it slightly larger than the 11x8.5 page size you see in the project editor. We do this to account for bleed when printing and trimming the pages and to also account for the gutter. So yes, you could say we are cropping images that are used as backgrounds.

Kelvin
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2008
    I got it working with the external links enabled. Still, in my opinion, it would be nice to not to have to do that. If external links are disabled for a gallery then Smugmug should at least warn the user that mycanvas requires it upfront. A lot of people may not be aware of that.

Also, it would be great if we could upload our own fonts to a project for text. Not sure how feasible it is - but it would be neat.

Graphic icons on the left panels are too small to really see what that look like without dragging them to a page. Perhaps a checkbox for enabling a mouse rollover enlarged icon?

I do not see a way to allow a user to center an item on the page (horizontally, vertically, or both). That would be nice.

It would be great to be able to copy the a coordinate position; e.g., the x-y center point, the upper left corner coordinates) of an element and apply to another element, That would be handy for making element position the same way on different pages.
  • Options
    black_fx_35black_fx_35 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    My Canvas
    When I click on the link from the SmugMug news e-mail I received yesterday (http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog.mg#More), the MyCanvas information shows a sweet deal as follows: "Sweet Deal: Through November 13th, 2008 get $30 off your book order! Make sure you're logged in to your SmugMug account and enter SMBook at checkout. Offer valid for one book."

I received the e-mail from SmugMug 10:21 pm EST yesterday, November 13th. So, I had 99 minutes to take advantage of this sweet deal. Any way this "sweet deal" can be made sweeter by having a bit more than an hour and a half to use it? I think that must have been a simple oversight...
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    When I click on the link from the SmugMug news e-mail I received yesterday (http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog.mg#More), the MyCanvas information shows a sweet deal as follows: "Sweet Deal: Through November 13th, 2008 get $30 off your book order! Make sure you're logged in to your SmugMug account and enter SMBook at checkout. Offer valid for one book."

I received the e-mail from SmugMug 10:21 pm EST yesterday, November 13th. So, I had 99 minutes to take advantage of this sweet deal. Any way this "sweet deal" can be made sweeter by having a bit more than an hour and a half to use it? I think that must have been a simple oversight...

The MyCanvas promotion has been extended to 20 Nov, 2008.
  • Options
    affleckphotoaffleckphoto Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2008
    Will MyCanvas accept .pdf files designed elsewhere (i.e. Adobe Indesign) rather than the flash interface? I am very interested in the products and quality of the Premium books, however, I am unwilling to give up my current design workflow for a client's albums.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    Will MyCanvas accept .pdf files designed elsewhere (i.e. Adobe Indesign) rather than the flash interface? I am very interested in the products and quality of the Premium books, however, I am unwilling to give up my current design workflow for a client's albums.

MyCanvas does not currently accept .pdf files.

Kelvin
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008

Really sorry for getting those emails out so late. It has been updated on the site to reflect the NEW DATE!!! MyCanvas extended the expiration date to Nov 20th!! :ivar
  • Options
    cutawaycutaway Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2008
    MyCanvas first impressions
    Ham1 wrote:
    I am looking for feedback, thoughts, suggestions, complaints etc. I am going to get one or two of the MyCanvas people to join Dgrin and support their service just like Blurb does.
    I created a 21 page photo book and here are some random notes in no particular order:

User experience

1. Sorting thumbnails - this has already been mentioned and acknowledged. At a minimum I would like a default sort by filename or in the order shown in the SmugMug gallery.

2. Thumbnail size - current thumbnails are too small. Having a selectable thumbnail size would be ideal. Offering small, medium, and large size thumbnails would be a start.

3. Displaying file names - sometimes it's easier to find images by name. I would like this to be an optional setting.

4. Centering - capability to center or justify an object on a page (horizontally and vertically). Also be able to center/justify relative to other objects, e.g. centering text under a photo.

5. Frames - I didn't play with the frames that much but I found it confusing. I was expecting that when I applied a frame that it would surround the edges of the photo. What I saw was a fixed size frame overlaid on the photo. I could reposition the photo behind the frame. However, it seemed that I could not fit the photo to the frame or the frame to the photo. I also couldn't see a way to resize the frame. As I said, I didn't play with this too much. If there is a way to accomplish these things, it wasn't obvious to me.

Eventually I did see the corner type frames that accomplished what I was expecting.

6. Responsiveness - I found the user interface for creating a book reasonably straightforward. As a software engineer myself I can appreciate the trade-offs between easy of use and total number of features. The main issue I had was the responsiveness of the UI. It certainly won't set any speed records. At times I found the delays in rendering pages very irritating.

7. Hangs - I experienced 3 or 4 hangs when trying to create the book. I had to close the MyCanvas window and re-start the project. Luckily I'm in the habit to save fairly often and didn't have to re-do too many things.

8. File order - The thumbnails seem to be displayed in a random order. At a minimum, I would like to see them in the same order as in the SmugMug gallery. Having other sort options would also be nice (by file name, caption, etc).

9. Search - I infered from a previous message that the search is on the caption. Since I typically don't add captions this search functionality is of little use. I'd like to have a search function that looks at file names.

Feature requests

10. Frames - I'd like a quick way to clear the selected frame. I ended having to scroll to the top of the frames section and click on the "No Frame" icon.

11. Text and photos - I'd like to be able to enter text that is linked to a photo. In other words, the photo and its text are treated as a single object when you reposition them on a page.

12. Link objects together - Similar to #8, it would be handy to have a way to link multiple objects (photo, text, etc) so that they can be repositioned as a unit. Another option might be to be able to re-size the linked objects relative to each other.

13. Saving formatting - For example, I add an image and apply a red 3pt border with a drop shadow and 80% transparancy. I would then like to be able to save those settings and then apply them to other images.

14. Apply a background to multiple pages - Applying a background to all pages is convenient but I would like to be able to specify a range or selection of pages.

15. Selectively import from smugmug - I would like to be able to select specific files to be imported into MyCanvas.

16. Help - I emailed the help desk on a Friday (early afternoon). I did receive a response late morning the following Monday. Not bad but nothing close to the outstanding SmugMug customer support. I wonder how this compares to other photo book providers.

17. Preview from SmugMug - It would be great to be able to allow customers to preview a book from a SmugMug page. I'd also want it to show my pricing.

I waited to post my thoughts until I actually received the finished book. First of all I would have liked more progress information. I felt like I placed the order and then it went into a black hole. I would like to see an approximate shipping date posted. Also an email or an update on their website as to the current status of the order (submitted, in process, shipped).

As for the book itself, I am pleased with the quality of materials and the reproduction of the images. I think it's a good value for the money. Most of the backgrounds were close enough to the previews to be acceptable. Some were darker or lighter than what I expected; nothing to warrant a reprint but noticeable.

In general, my experience was fair. I was able to put a small book together relatively quickly. There were enough tools to get the job done. However, the interface was cumbersome enough that I don't know if I would want to do a large project. If I could get access to some of the backgrounds, I could see creating the pages in Photoshop and then uploading them as full page images.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    At first sight, the MyCanvas books, other products, and site look truly fabulous. From what I hear, the books are great in person as well... I can't wait to have one. The site itself is handsome. So I was trying it out with the $30 discount coupon, with the idea of then making a few books for Christmas after having one "under my belt". Partly, the trial run was a good experience.... at first. (I loved that I can simply import SmugMug galleries--that part's terrific) But much of it was very frustrating. When I called MyCanvas with a question, the customer service was very friendly & first-rate. But that was before I'd gotten into the project & it was way past office hours when I ran into problems. Overall, I think the book-making and poster-making processes could be MUCH more simple for the non-programmers or computer gurus amongst us. I'm saavy enough to do fairly sophisticated photo editing in PS, have customized my SmugMug, & navigate all kinds of sites with photo printing/uploading/sharing capabilities. But I ran into many things that stumped me, so my 3-page book is still sitting there as an unfinished project. On the bright side, I did make one poster with "frame", and it's probably in the mail.... took me awhile though! Here's my list of trouble-spots:
    1. Help: when I clicked on "help" when stuck, I was taken back to the homepage, & really couldn't find any help there.
    2. I did contact support, but haven't heard back. I know I'm very spoiled by SmugMug's nearly immediate answers, however....
    3. When making a poster, I was unable to be sure I was centering the image, and found the size ratios hard to deal with correctly. All I wanted were a couple guidelines on each side, & measurements or a centering tool. I couldn't find them and had to "eyeball it".
    4. The worst problem when making the book (8X 11.5 standard photo book with 20 + pages) was that a lot of my photos distorted themselves into horizontals from vertical, etc. at various stages in the project!! This happened when I'd click & drag it into a pre-set frame-box on my book page. As soon as the image crossed the edge of the page, esp. if it was vertical, it would distort into horizontal, leaving a very bizarre & un-usable image! This happened randomly but often. Even on one page that was finished (page 2 I think), the photos distorted themselves while I was working on another page. I tried for over an hour to rectify this, but to no avail.
    5. This brings me to another problem: "undo" doesn't go back enough steps. If it could take you back to the blank template of a page, it would be great! The only way I could undo a problem was to click on "remove image" (or something similar...I don't remember the exact wording). But this was exasperating because it removed not only the image but the entire photo frame-box from the page, and then I couldn't find any way to get a new, empty box back to put another photo in. (I was stuck then with only 2 photos on a page instead of the 3 that were there!) In general, I was unable to find blank templates for anything .... the "copy" and "delete" functions apply to the whole thing, not the template. If I just wanted to get rid of the whole page & start fresh w/ same template, I couldn't find a way to do that. I'm sure there's a way, but if it was that hard for me to find, there are going to be a lot of people less experienced than me having this same problem and a whole lot more! I'm very tenacious, but after working on this book for hours & ending up with 3 goofed-up pages, I wanted to run far away!
    6. The above problem applied to pages too. When I went to "manage pages", I tried to find a way to create a page with the same template as page 2, NOT copy it with its photos. Couldn't get it to happen. I've been on other book-making sites & all of the processes above were very simple & just stated in plain English. For instance, elsewhere you can often just drag & drop extra pages to where you want them, or drag templates the same way.
    7. In regards to the meshing between SmugMug & MyCanvas: When I first signed up with MyCanvas, the question of accessing password-protected galleries was asked, & I gave permission. But for other galleries added since, what happens? Does MyCanvas assume it's ok to access them? (fine with me, but others may wonder...) Also, there was nothing to tell me how to deal with possible additions to my SmugMug galleries... I'd like to see something on MyCanvas that automatically updates its Smug-accessed galleries, or at least tells me what I need to do. It wasn't clear what all is being accessed each time I go to MyCanvas. I'd like MyCanvas to simply have access to all my galleries anytime I go there. Maybe there's a simple "update" function, but I didn't see it.
    8. Amen to others saying it's a real deterrent to have to go into Smug galleries each time you wanna use MyCanvas & customize them just for MyCanvas (allow external links, etc.). Then we have to remember to go back and re-customize them, etc. I hope you can change this. I wasn't even sure until I read this thread why some galleries weren't showing up on MC, & now a bunch of my galleries are un-protected because I had to customize them for MyCanvas.... not a good thing. In the meantime, please tell people up front of this problem so that you don't have hundreds of people wondering what's up.... I wasted a lot of time on that one.
    9. Amen to everyone who mentioned the tiny thumbnails (and a lot of other tiny stuff, even the fonts on the main page). Wow-- I have fantastic vision & no glasses. I was going cross-eyed after 1/2 hour of working on MyCanvas! I even have a large, new, super-bright photo-friendly screen. For those less fortunate, my sympathies! Seems like just about everything could be about twice as big on MC, to save eyesight. I was using FF for browser. At the same time, I love the fact that captions are search-able and visible when uploaded... that is such a help & not present on some other sites.
    10. It would be handy to have the # of pages that's standard (for the base price) with each type of book clearly listed. I only found this info. in one place, & only after calling to find out. It should be right on the pricing pages.

Well, that's a lot of info. & will probably come across as way-too-picky., but I hope you'll understand I only took the time to write it out because I gather the end product from MyCanvas is going to be well worth it. And I truly hope with some user-friendly improvements, lots more folks will want to take advantage of the new partnership. There are gazillions of fantastic photographers here who'd love nothing better than to see their works in books & posters, etc. Looking forward to my poster, and will work on my book some more. Any help (especially for the distortion problem & adding page templates) would be grandly appreciated.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to write such detailed feedback, WinsomeWorks and cutaway! We're listening and making improvements as quickly as we can to make MyCanvas a truly outstanding product. We think we have a great start but recognize we still have a ways to go.
    • Sorting photos, allowing users to increase the size of the thumbnails and marking and hiding used photos is high on our priority list.
    • Filenames usually show up fine but there are some digital cameras where the camera name shows up rather than the filename. We're looking into this and have a list of items like this that we need to work with SmugMug to resolve.
    • Search works with whatever is displayed under the photos, captions or filenames.
    • Centering - if you select multiple objects by dragging the mouse or control clicking, an alignment feature is displayed that allows you to align the objects to each other. We do not yet, however, have the ability to align objects to the page. You can, however, turn on the grid to see where you are on the page. Holding down the mouse button on an object will display its x,y coordinates, holding down the mouse button on the rotation icon will display the rotation angle and holding down the mouse button on the sizing icons will display its size.
    • Multiple objects can be selected as described above so that they can be aligned, moved, sized, deleted, rotated and have drop shadow, borders, frames, etc. applied to them all at once. Sometimes they need to be similar type objects for some of the functionality to be available. For instance if an image and text object are selected, font options will not appear on the toolbar.
    • Frames - there are several differnt types of frames and masks - when applied the frames move and size along with the image. Some only maintain the same aspect ratio while others will stretch.
    • We are continually striving to improve performance which can be a real challenge when working with many, very large images over the internet.
    • Yes, help takes you back to the site where you need to use the navigation to find the help you are looking for. We definitely have plans to improve the help navigation and experience.
    • We are working to resolve the rotating and stretching images bug. It has to do with digital cameras and their settings to automatically rotate the images or not.
    • There should be at least 50 undos on a page. If you're not seeing that please PM me.
    • If you don't like the photo you have in an image box. Just drag another one onto it and it will be replaced with the new one. With this feature you can create you own templates. Drag photos onto the page and arrange them however you like. You can also apply borders, frames, drop shadows, etc. Once you've done that copy the page and voila you've created your own template. Just drag new photos into the image wells.
    • If you want to add new templates that we've created just click on the "Pages" dropdown on the top menu and you'll see all the page templates arranged by theme. You can select one or many to insert into your book just after the page that you have selected. We have plans to make it easy to switch layouts on an existing page.
    • Once you've accepted the content submission agreement you will notice that when uploading photos from your computer or linking back to SmugMug that it references the agreement you have accepted at the bottom of the import dialog box. You can either refresh one or all of your galleries at once or you can import new galleries at any time.
    • Yes, because this is a new partnership with SmugMug there are a few things we need to get ironed out regarding your gallery settings so that galleries and photos show up. The solutions we have provided are intented to be temporary work-arounds until we can resolve it through our integration.
    • Thanks to your feedback the number of pages included in the base price should be included in our next role. Nice catch. We had it at one time but it was accidentally left out when we changed to a different format.
    Thanks again for the terrific feedback. Please keep it coming so we can make this a fantastic offering. At the same we appreciate the positive comments as well...they provide great encouragement.

Kelvin
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I love this!

Created a book already and will order it shortly, just waiting on some input about text being placed in the book and then order.

I know it is already a priority but you really need to make the thumbnails for images that have already been used marked somehow...wow that was frustrating :)

I look forward to the book and already have plans for many more!

One question: The branding on the last page...is that necessary, can we remove it? Please say yes.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    Montec wrote:
    I love this!

Created a book already and will order it shortly, just waiting on some input about text being placed in the book and then order.

I know it is already a priority but you really need to make the thumbnails for images that have already been used marked somehow...wow that was frustrating :)

I look forward to the book and already have plans for many more!

One question: The branding on the last page...is that necessary, can we remove it? Please say yes.

Thanks, Montec.

I've PM'd you about the branding.
  • Options
    mdimblermdimbler Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2008
    Login???
    Can anyone tell me if our Smugmug accounts carry over into a MyCanvas account? or do I need to sign up for a separate account?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    mdimbler wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if our Smugmug accounts carry over into a MyCanvas account? or do I need to sign up for a separate account?

You do need to sign up for a separate MyCanvas account but it is free. You will be able to bring your photos accross from SmugMug to MyCanvas.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    I'm wondering if there's any chance some of us could have a raincheck on our book coupon so that the coupon would be good until after the problem with photo distortion/rotation gets fixed on MyCanvas? I had gotten to the 3rd page or so of a project, but could not finish it because of this problem. And according to your answer on this, there's really nothing I can do to fix it myself. I understand what you're saying the problem is... with certain cameras that internally rotate, etc. (incidentally, I'm usually using an Olympus E-500) Fortunatately, my project wasn't a rush.... but I'd love to do some more before Christmas. Any chance of one coupon for the first project? And is there any hope for the rotation problem?

I should also mention that I did get a support ticket back from MyCanvas, which was partially about the rotation problem. The answer was completely different from the one I received here on SmugMug. It was clear to me after reading that answer that the person answering from MyCanvas was not at all aware of the problem. They thought it was something I was doing, such as trying to put a horizontal pic in a vertical frame. Most of the frames on the book I was working on were either round or square, as were the ones I had trouble with... and even had they been another shape, images should simply crop where the frame cuts them off.

So anyway, I understand that this person didn't know of the internal nature of the problem, but that tells me that everyone working on support there should be informed right away. Also, as I mentioned before, there should be an easily visible note about the problem so that people don't spend eons trying to fix something that can't be fixed on their end. (perhaps you've already done this-- I haven't checked). The Evolt series has been quite popular, so I imagine there are lots of people getting baffled by this. This is another issue I've never run into on any other book-making sites, so someone out there has some programming answers to it.

Well, I really appreciated the answers I got here & hope I can get back to my project sometime-- I'm not sure how long projects are saved? I'm not sure how I will refer to the how-to answers here while on MyCanvas... guess I could print them out. Ok, well, keep us posted!! --Anna Lisa
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I can't seem to get this feature to work. I was using my MacBook Pro laptop (which may be causing the issue) but I couldn't access any of the photos in my smugmug galleries to put into the collage. Anyone having this issue and your solutions for it as well? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    I'm wondering if there's any chance some of us could have a raincheck on our book coupon so that the coupon would be good until after the problem with photo distortion/rotation gets fixed on MyCanvas? I had gotten to the 3rd page or so of a project, but could not finish it because of this problem. And according to your answer on this, there's really nothing I can do to fix it myself. I understand what you're saying the problem is... with certain cameras that internally rotate, etc. (incidentally, I'm usually using an Olympus E-500) Fortunatately, my project wasn't a rush.... but I'd love to do some more before Christmas. Any chance of one coupon for the first project? And is there any hope for the rotation problem?

I should also mention that I did get a support ticket back from MyCanvas, which was partially about the rotation problem. The answer was completely different from the one I received here on SmugMug. It was clear to me after reading that answer that the person answering from MyCanvas was not at all aware of the problem. They thought it was something I was doing, such as trying to put a horizontal pic in a vertical frame. Most of the frames on the book I was working on were either round or square, as were the ones I had trouble with... and even had they been another shape, images should simply crop where the frame cuts them off.

So anyway, I understand that this person didn't know of the internal nature of the problem, but that tells me that everyone working on support there should be informed right away. Also, as I mentioned before, there should be an easily visible note about the problem so that people don't spend eons trying to fix something that can't be fixed on their end. (perhaps you've already done this-- I haven't checked). The Evolt series has been quite popular, so I imagine there are lots of people getting baffled by this. This is another issue I've never run into on any other book-making sites, so someone out there has some programming answers to it.

Well, I really appreciated the answers I got here & hope I can get back to my project sometime-- I'm not sure how long projects are saved? I'm not sure how I will refer to the how-to answers here while on MyCanvas... guess I could print them out. Ok, well, keep us posted!! --Anna Lisa

There are a couple of solutions for fixing the rotated/stretched photo problem. They are:
    1. You don't need to do anything and we'll fix it when we render your photos for printing.
    2. You can PM us your username with the projects and pages where you're seeing the problem and we'll fix it so they display and print correctly
    3. You should be able to fix it yourself by replacing the problem photos on SmugMug by deleting them and uploading replacement photos. You will need to refresh your gallery on MyCanvas to pull in the newly uploaded photos. Then you will need to drag the photos onto the images on your pages to replace the rotated/stretched photos.
    Thanks to your feedback our customer support team will be briefed tomorrow on this rotated/stretched photo problem. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    There are a couple of solutions for fixing the rotated/stretched photo problem. They are:
    1. You don't need to do anything and we'll fix it when we render your photos for printing.
    2. You can PM us your username with the projects and pages where you're seeing the problem and we'll fix it so they display and print correctly
    3. You should be able to fix it yourself by replacing the problem photos on SmugMug by deleting them and uploading replacement photos. You will need to refresh your gallery on MyCanvas to pull in the newly uploaded photos. Then you will need to drag the photos onto the images on your pages to replace the rotated/stretched photos.
    Thanks to your feedback our customer support team will be briefed tomorrow on this rotated/stretched photo problem. PM me.

Sorry, I don't know how to PM someone.... couldn't find it! So, hopefully it'll get seen here. Well, hmmm, the above solutions present a whole host of problems. First of all, I really wasn't able to create the book at all with this rotation problem going on. I mean, to do anything at all, I'd need to have my photos at the correct orientation in their frames on the page-- because at that point, I'd want to crop them certain ways, change frame sizes, arrange on the page, etc. I don't see how you would do all that for me! I only had one project, and this problem was happening on all its pages-- as I said, I only got to 2 or 3 pages because it became so impossible to work with.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean by replacing "problem" photos on SmugMug. None of the photos had any problem-- I don't know what the problem is! I think the problem was the worst with any photo that happened to be vertically oriented. But, goodness, especially with portraits, anyone is going to have gazillions of vertically oriented photos they'll want to use. And furthermore, if I were to replace certain photos, what would I replace them with? There's no problem with them until I try to use them in MyCanvas. In most cases, I'm simply using original files that were unloaded from my camera card to folders on my computer as jpgs. Then I've uploaded them to SmugMug. That's it. I edit some photos as PSDs in PS (CS2) and then save as Jpgs and put them back in the same folder & upload them. As far as I know though, none of the photos I had trouble with had been edited.

Now and then I may have photos that need to be rotated in SmugMug-- i.e., I shot it vertically and for whatever reason, it remained horizontal when taken from the camera card. So I might simply rotate it in SmugMug once it's uploaded there. Again, though, I don't know that this was the case w/ any photos in question. So, I'm just not clear on what "replacement photos" I'd use.

But at any rate, there's really no way of working on a project like these books if you can't work with the photos themselves. Another thing people will want to do when they're arranging pages & photos is zoom in or out. If the photo is all distorted, there's no way to see what it will look like.

Ok, I'll find my username and let you know, if someone can tell me how to PM someone (guessing that means private mail, right?) I've just never run into the need to do that on DGrin before.... Thanks! (ps-- actually I think I used the same name I have here-- WinsomeWorks)

--Anna Lisa
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    Sorry, I don't know how to PM someone.... couldn't find it! So, hopefully it'll get seen here. Well, hmmm, the above solutions present a whole host of problems. First of all, I really wasn't able to create the book at all with this rotation problem going on. I mean, to do anything at all, I'd need to have my photos at the correct orientation in their frames on the page-- because at that point, I'd want to crop them certain ways, change frame sizes, arrange on the page, etc. I don't see how you would do all that for me! I only had one project, and this problem was happening on all its pages-- as I said, I only got to 2 or 3 pages because it became so impossible to work with.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean by replacing "problem" photos on SmugMug. None of the photos had any problem-- I don't know what the problem is! I think the problem was the worst with any photo that happened to be vertically oriented. But, goodness, especially with portraits, anyone is going to have gazillions of vertically oriented photos they'll want to use. And furthermore, if I were to replace certain photos, what would I replace them with? There's no problem with them until I try to use them in MyCanvas. In most cases, I'm simply using original files that were unloaded from my camera card to folders on my computer as jpgs. Then I've uploaded them to SmugMug. That's it. I edit some photos as PSDs in PS (CS2) and then save as Jpgs and put them back in the same folder & upload them. As far as I know though, none of the photos I had trouble with had been edited.

Now and then I may have photos that need to be rotated in SmugMug-- i.e., I shot it vertically and for whatever reason, it remained horizontal when taken from the camera card. So I might simply rotate it in SmugMug once it's uploaded there. Again, though, I don't know that this was the case w/ any photos in question. So, I'm just not clear on what "replacement photos" I'd use.

But at any rate, there's really no way of working on a project like these books if you can't work with the photos themselves. Another thing people will want to do when they're arranging pages & photos is zoom in or out. If the photo is all distorted, there's no way to see what it will look like.

Ok, I'll find my username and let you know, if someone can tell me how to PM someone (guessing that means private mail, right?) I've just never run into the need to do that on DGrin before.... Thanks! (ps-- actually I think I used the same name I have here-- WinsomeWorks)

--Anna Lisa

We're taking a look at your projects now.

To private message someone just click on their username and you'll see an option to send a private message.