Options

MyCanvas books and collages

Comments

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    mycanvas books came
    The '"trial" book arrived promptly and I was impressed with the print quality. The cover is a bit underwelming, but it's probably due to laminating or glossy jackets being common for bookmakers like Blurb, Picaboo and others, and without the lamination the eye tells the brain that something is wrong. But the print quality is nice, though the cover was easily marked with fingerprints that were hard to remove.

Now that I'm working on a serious (leather) wedding album in mycanvas, the program is really growing on me. Lots of versatility, and the bugs are worth it to create such beautiful results.

"Bugs" I'd like to respectfully request you work on:

1. I had to reimport pics after saving and shutting down the project. It restored the pics I had "cleared" and cleared the ones I'd imported.

2. Double page spreads are something I like to include in wedding albums, but need a way to view both pages at once, while able to edit at least one of them, to create these panoramas.

3 Slow processing...several times my computer said the script had stopped while it was "thinking"

4. Hide used thumnails.

5. Are there font style choices for the cover? (The 11X14 leather) I couldn't figure out how to change the cover font. I understand embossing is different than printing , but could you make at least a script font available in addition to the block lettering? Would you also please offer a choice of silver emobssing instead of gold, and allow the font to be moved to another place on the cover, specifically the lower right corner?

6. Remove branding for all pro smugmug account holders? Or in the meantime while you work on it, at least shrink it dramatically-it's huge and not too pretty. If you must put your branding, make it smaller and less conspicuous. ( A gentle whisper, not a shout.)

In conclusion, I look forward to trying mycanvas for this 11 X 14 wedding album and will keep let you all know how it comes out. Thanks for your hard work in making it more user friendly and filling the needs of pro photogs and serious hobbyists alike. I will copy some of this message on the feedback tool, but also wanted to post these comments here for the dg community, as I learn from others questions and comments and figure someone else might also benefit from answers to "bugs" the mycanvas support team may post here.

smurfy
    http://godburnphotos.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    I got mine today as well.

The branding is a total deal breaker for me. It is the entire last page with a direct link to the prices. I will not give this to the people who ordered it and will re-do the book at Blurb.

Paper quality is good but not up to par with Blurb's new premium paper offering. My last MPix book was very good as well. I would rate the print/paper quality on par with the Blurb standard paper.

The cover is nice, but I really am spoiled by the wrap around printed dust jackets. Sorry..but this plain simulated leather look just doesn't cut it for me.

It also seems very 'light'. I have a similar sized Blurb book that feels much heavier and sturdier. I would compare these books with those from ShutterFly, I have several from them for family fun shoots and sporting events and they look and feel very similar.

On a positive note I loved design interface, even with the minor bugs that I am sure will be fixed.

I will probably continue with Blurb books for now, especially with their new paper. I would like to see a sample of their high end books, will not spend money to test it out. I have been using Asuka for books in this price range and they sent me a sample book for free...I have since purchased several.

Just my opinion. A bit disappointed as I thought we were going to get some better quality than what we already had with Blurb and others...I see no reason to switch at this juncture.

Don't take this wrong, They are good quality but certainly not better.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    ploecklploeckl Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2008
    Collage poster problem
    Hi,

I ordered a 24x18 collage which I received today. Unfortunately the print cut off little slices from each of the four sides of hte project, which created especially problems with the bottom side, where it cut a few milimeters from the text (which makes the cut therefore very visible). Since I never saw a warning about that on project site and the preview function shows the collage fine (i.e. without the cutoffs), I wanted to ask whether that's a problem with my specific project or with collages in general ?

(I also contacted customer support through the online form about this)
  • Options
    fotofoolfotofool Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    ploeckl wrote:
    Hi,

I ordered a 24x18 collage which I received today. Unfortunately the print cut off little slices from each of the four sides of hte project, which created especially problems with the bottom side, where it cut a few milimeters from the text (which makes the cut therefore very visible). Since I never saw a warning about that on project site and the preview function shows the collage fine (i.e. without the cutoffs), I wanted to ask whether that's a problem with my specific project or with collages in general ?

(I also contacted customer support through the online form about this)

Ploeck,

This sounds like a problem we probably need to address. Please PM me your username for MyCanvas or order number and I'll take a look to determine what we can do.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Kelvin
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    Thanks, Montec.

I've PM'd you about the branding.

Can you tell us in the forum what the reply was?

Also, since MyCanvas also accepts uploading of files from Picasa, what advantage is there to upload via Smugmug? Is it a matter of convenience or discount in pricing? Is it a matter of better integration?

Thanks, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    fotofool wrote:
    We are currently exploring a pro offering and would like to get input from pros with clients. How can we best reach out to the pro on SmugMug to get this input? How many of you would like to create products for your clients vs. allowing your clients to create products from the photos you have taken for them?

Please let me know if you are willing answer some questions or take a survey to help us better understand what you would like in such an offering?

Thanks, Kelvin

We want to create the books for them and then allow them to access the project as final review. We will make final adjustments and then go to print.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Kudos
    Kudos to the MyCanvas support team: Kelvin and Lorilee. The family I sent the books to were knocked out. They loved the book. Thanks again for the support. Dave
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
    http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Thanks, BUT
    I want to thank the support people at MYCanvas for the help that they provided when I was ordering my calendars. I had an issue regarding the shipping that was showing up on my order, and the MyCanvas support people found a workaround for me. They were punctual in replying, and helpful.

Unfortunately, I have HUGE 'BUT' to report. I made 5 different calendars. I ordered 15 copies each of two of them, and 1 copy each of the other three. I placed the order for all at the same time. Four of the five shipped at the same time from one location, the other shipped separately. UPS has tried to deliver a portion them - now, the good news here is that they came very quickly, ahead of schedule (ground shipping was the only choice to Canada).

The bad news is that they must have been shipped in separate packages. Each single calendar has $19.95 brokerage fee, and the package of 15 has $33.95 brokerage fee. That is a total of $95 and I still expect a package with the other 15 - so I guess another $33.95. This adds about $4 to the cost of each calendar.

I am really disappointed with this. By ordering at the same time, I expected a single delivery - a single set of brokerage fees. $20/single calendar is just unbelievable.

FWIW, I just used Imagekind to order a framed print for my sister-in-law. Final print/frame size is 32" by 20" or so, FedEx 2 day shipping on it was $32.00 and there will be no additional brokerage fees on it.

Please, MyCanvas, change your freight company. If you don't I will not use your service again.

I want any other Canadians to be aware of this issue - both the multi package shipping and the extra brokerage fees due as a result of your choosing UPS.

ann
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

Please, MyCanvas, change your freight company. If you don't I will not use your service again.

Ann, this is ugh, terrible. I hope MyCanvas does the right thing for you (SmugMug would, in a heartbeat, if the charges were via Smuggy).... let me know how you make out, ok?
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I want any other Canadians to be aware of this issue - both the multi package shipping and the extra brokerage fees due as a result of your choosing UPS.

ann

Hi Ann, I am painfully aware of the outrageous UPS brokerage fees. There is a workaround by using 2 day air shipping and they don't apply the brokerage fees. But the shipping fees are higher.

I am with you, I will not use any companies services that only provides UPS shipping. FedEx to Canada and no fees...what gives UPS??
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    Montec wrote:
    Hi Ann, I am painfully aware of the outrageous UPS brokerage fees. There is a workaround by using 2 day air shipping and they don't apply the brokerage fees. But the shipping fees are higher.

I am with you, I will not use any companies services that only provides UPS shipping. FedEx to Canada and no fees...what gives UPS??

Thanks to your earlier posts, I knew to expect brokerage fees. However, the problem was compounded by MyCanvas shipping the items as 5 separate packages...5 brokerage fees! Painful! I was not given the choice of 2 day air - I would have taken that and paid rather than have this mess!

Andy - I will let you know, of course. I know how smuggie would handle it - thats why I am here, ya know. Having owned a customer centered business before, I appreciate good customer service.

ann
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Well, I have not heard a word from MyCanvas, either here, in response to my PM or my email to their support desk.
    UPS was supposed to re-deliver yesterday, and didn't.
    So I am waiting and wondering, both about using MyCanvas again and about what my calendars look like, should UPS choose to deliver them!

ann
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    It is extremely frustrating not knowing which thumbs have already been used.
    Please add some kind of highlight on used thumbs.
    Thanks
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Email response from MyCanvas - indicates that they are switching carriers next year. No response regarding this particular order. UPS still has not arrived to redeliver, and the 800 number does not provide an option for following up.

I am now officially POd!
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, I have not heard a word from MyCanvas, either here, in response to my PM or my email to their support desk.
    UPS was supposed to re-deliver yesterday, and didn't.
    So I am waiting and wondering, both about using MyCanvas again and about what my calendars look like, should UPS choose to deliver them!

ann
  • Options
    JPCanvasJPCanvas Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    Kudos to the MyCanvas support team: Kelvin and Lorilee. The family I sent the books to were knocked out. They loved the book. Thanks again for the support. Dave

Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying the holidays.

Grumpy, thanks for the 'Kudos', very much appreciated! Kelvin and Lorilee as well as the rest of the team are really focused on customer issues. Although we strive to, we don't always get it right 100% the first time, but if you give us a little time when there is an issue we can usually work it out. And I'm really glad the family liked them, we love to hear that stuff.

Phil, the choice between SmugMug and Picasa is a personal one but there are certainly advantages of one over the other. As far as MyCanvas, yes we accept photos from both but I would say we're better integrated with SmugMug and we will offer discounts in partnership with smugmug on occasion. Also as you know they're a great bunch of guys and if there is ever any issue to resolve you can be sure that we'll figure it out quickly between us and SmugMug.

Allen, good news, your feature request to have used photos marked is a feature that we'll be launching soon. That was one of our biggest requests. Another was larger thumbnail sizes; we addressed that one about a week ago. In the tool on the left hand side at the bottom of your photos you'll now see you can switch between two different thumbnail sizes.

Ann, looks like we've still got an issue with your shipments. Sorry for the mess. I'm not going to make any excuses but UPS ground is a pain to Canada. It's a known issue and we'll be looking into alternatives. In the meantime please PM me your MyCanvas username and your email and we'll work something out.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    klinquist wrote:
    I just thought you'd like to know that my MyCanvas calendar I ordered came out *amazing*... it doesn't come out in this quick photo, but all the pictures look fantastic and the calendar paper quality and such is awesome!

I'll be ordering half a dozen more for Christmas gifts :).

Thanks klinquist...glad you liked the product. We always love hearing this feedback! We're always adding new features so please keep checking it out and let us know what you think.

John
  • Options
    LaFlacaDLaFlacaD Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Apologies if this has already been addressed as I have not reviewed the entire thread. Is there any way to import the pictures from smugmug without the watermark or do I have to remove the watermark from the gallery before I import it.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    LaFlacaD wrote:
    Apologies if this has already been addressed as I have not reviewed the entire thread. Is there any way to import the pictures from smugmug without the watermark or do I have to remove the watermark from the gallery before I import it.

Smugmug watermarks do not come with the photos. If you add your watermark before you upload then you would need to remove it. Otherwise, you are good to go straight from your galleries!

ann
  • Options
    SorryButIGottaComplainSorryButIGottaComplain Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2009
    JPCanvas wrote:
    Thanks klinquist...glad you liked the product. We always love hearing this feedback! We're always adding new features so please keep checking it out and let us know what you think.

John

Had a very hard time with image corruption. Seemed better when I loaded images directly into MyCanvas. Pages weren't loading well at all. Killed every process that I didn't need (mostly photographic related processes - I need to just buy Adobe again using a little of this a little of that is no way to optimize workflow and evidently some of these processes may have been interfering with MyCanvas). Its working very quickly now. Cool software... if there was a tips and tricks for MyCanvas, could someone point me to it?

Also cleared out my browser cache... it didn't seem very full at all... but maybe it helped and would help others.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    Cool software... if there was a tips and tricks for MyCanvas, could someone point me to it?

Glad you're liking the service and thanks for the feedback. From any page on the site, if you go to the "Learn More" link at the top you can then check out the "Tutorials". There are seven basic ones each only about 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. These are basically getting started videos but pretty informative. In the "Tutorials" you also have an option to check out our Blog. This has more in-depth tips and tricks.
  • Options
    GrininTYOGrininTYO Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2009
    Q: Fonts?
    Hi,
    I went through the whole thread but I don't think this has been asked, so let me ask here. Can I use my local fonts when making a book or just select from a list of available fonts? More importantly, how is UNICODE support?
    I want to create a multilingual book En/Jp and En/Es so the use of local fonts and Unicode support are kind of deal breakers for me...
  • Options
    fotofoolfotofool Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    GrininTYO wrote:
    Hi,
    I went through the whole thread but I don't think this has been asked, so let me ask here. Can I use my local fonts when making a book or just select from a list of available fonts? More importantly, how is UNICODE support?
    I want to create a multilingual book En/Jp and En/Es so the use of local fonts and Unicode support are kind of deal breakers for me...

You can add text directly in the tool by selecting from a list of available fonts. The list is composed of TrueType fonts that are based on Unicode and support all European ISO languages with the exception of Cyrillic. Unfortunately local fonts can only be used if you create an image with the font and upload it to use in the tool.
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Import problem- need help!
    Hi, I've just tried the MyCanvas Calendar and I can't seem to import photos from a particular Smugmug Album. When the import window comes up it is listing only a fraction of my available Smugmug albums. Have I missed something entirely? I no longer have these photos on my computer -they are only in this one gallery! I've switched it from a private to a public gallery but it still won't show.

Thanks
    Jon
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2009
    Nevermind, I found that I had "External Links" set to "no" within the "customize gallery".rolleyes1.gif
    All is working fine now!
    Jon
  • Options
    blue_dolphinblue_dolphin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2009
    Love the calendars!
    I just signed up on the forum to give a big thumbs up for the MyCanvas calendars. I was going to use Shutterfly as I have in the past but decided to do a search here to see if Smugmug had any calendar options this year. I ordered and received a couple of sets of calendars for friends and family and I couldn't be more pleased with them.

I really appreciated the design flexibility - the possibilities are pretty much endless. It was a pleasure to be able to pull photos in from all my Smugmug galleries without having to upload the photos to another site. I found the controls to zoom, crop, rotate, frame, align, adjust translucency, format text, etc. to be both useful and pretty intuitive. I liked being able to duplicate a project so I could easily customize the calendars for different people without starting over from scratch.

The flash interface was a little slow and crashed the browser a few times on the old memory starved iMac I was using but quite OK on my new one (with 4 GB RAM!).

Processing and shipping was prompt and I appreciated the e-mail shipping notification. I liked that the calendars were individually shrink wrapped in plastic. The calendars themselves look great. Layouts and colors very accurate to what I saw on the screen. The photos look beautiful! My friends think I should sell the calendars (I am absolutely not a pro)!

Now that we're getting to the end of January, the option to begin the calendar with other months (as offered by Shutterfly) would be nice. And as others have mentioned, some way to mark the thumbnails to indicate images that have already been used would be helpful.

I have no relationship with these folks - just a happy customer.
  • Options
    manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Possible to get "proof pages" before ordering $$$ book?
    I put together a wedding album on MyCanvas, and, call me crazy, but I'd like to see the actual printed pages in my hands before ordering them bound in a $400 leather cover and $50 slipcase.

Anyone know if MyCanvas will let you order unbound proof pages for a minimal fee before you spend lots of cash on a premium album? ear.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    I put together a wedding album on MyCanvas, and, call me crazy, but I'd like to see the actual printed pages in my hands before ordering them bound in a $400 leather cover and $50 slipcase.

Anyone know if MyCanvas will let you order unbound proof pages for a minimal fee before you spend lots of cash on a premium album? ear.gif
    I don't know the answer to this, I'm sorry - did you write them?
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I don't know the answer to this, I'm sorry - did you write them?
    Just used the contact form on their site. I'll see what they say.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    manbou wrote:

I know some like Asuka give you a PDF proof. Maybe they can provide that for you?
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2009
    MyCanvas emailed me. They said that I should just buy the album first with the least-expensive cover, and if I am satisfied with that, then I can order it again with the expensive cover. Apparently, getting the unbound pages is not an option.